Introduce Yourself

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,578 Member
    Hi @mariwrh
    Welcome :)
    I'm relatively new to this group too - and have benefited greatly from the fine company here. Can't wait to follow your progress!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Everyone here is super duper important and we all have a story to tell!...welcome to all new and returning Losers!
  • lauriekallis
    samvee wrote: »
    I'm Sam!

Hi, Sam. I'm Laurie! Glad to meet you!

I like the idea of this being a chapter in a book. We have some fine companion characters in this group.

See you around!

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    samvee wrote: »
    Hi there, Losers (LOL).

I'm Sam! I'm 34, and started using this site almost ten years ago to count calories. It worked really well, and I lost about 45-50lbs. I started at 250, lost the weight pretty quickly, and have been hovering between 200 and 210 ever since.

Fast forward to now, and (I don't wanna blame COVID, but...) my weight has jumped back up to 225ish. I saw that number, remembered how hard it was to lose the weight before, and signed back onto here. I also got in contact with a dietitian through my work benefits.

So far, I've lost about 10lbs from there. Ultimately, I'd like to get down to 150-160lbs, which would be about 100lbs less than I weighed initially. This seems like a huge amount, but seeing so many people on here being so successful has been inspiring.

Struggles:
    Exercise. I haven't found anything I really enjoy. I do go for walks a few times a week.
    Eating snacks after dinner. The hours between dinner and bedtime are really tough.
    Portion sizes and stopping eating when I'm full. Don't know if I'd call it a binge problem, but...
    People around me eating whatever they want, while I try to stay within my calorie allowance.

I'm learning that the struggle is the journey. Looking for people to connect with on here with similar ambitions and challenges. Maybe we can help each other out! Add me, if any of this resonates with you. Looking forward to this chapter of my very long weight-loss book.

Hi, Sam!

The last year was challenging for many people, so you aren't alone. But you've got a plan in place, so you are ahead of the game! I share a lot of your struggles. The only exercise i've ever been able to maintain is walking outside, and with winter here, I've had to set that aside which is making things harder for me.I too have trouble with eating of an evening and stopping when I know my belly is full - brain hunger is the war I fought. And I am influenced by those around me too. On top of that, I hit diet fatigue and personal stress and yeah, I've had regain the last few months too, so I get it!

I wish you luck in your endeavors and hope we can encourage each other to make progress this year!
  • _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    Welcome @samvee i thought I posted that yesterday lol idk my phone goes whacky sometimes on MFP
  • darksfallen
    darksfallen Posts: 5 Member
    Hi there, saying hi again (other post in the main Intro Area), though I think this time is to the group I will call home.

Chris here joined 11 years ago and did not do much with it, my coworkers were going to do a thing and as it turned out did not really do anything and so not much happened until now.

I found myself on Jan 11th at my most Loserest potential ever (heaviest) at 344.6 pounds and decided I was tired of panting when I got out of bed, or when I changed clothes and so on. I had lost my weight before a few decades ago (45 now) before I was married and met and courted my wife I was at around 212 pounds, so I can do it again right? Anything less than ~210ish I start looking really awkwardly thin for my body type. So that's my goal for this time around I guess.

So I'm not at all sure how this works, here's my goal photo of me (at 212#s) it's a B/W in front of the batmobile at Six Flags, my Girlfriend took the picture (now wife of 21 years) at the time.

Because I lasted the week and today was weigh in day I decided to posted here, I will post today's pics in another Discussion area where I will keep my progress data, unless that's frowned upon? Progress Pictures that is? Let me know please, tasteful and modestly covered of course as per what I read.

Goal Started on Jan 11th, 2021 @ 344.6 pounds
    Weigh in today Jan 19th, 2021, 10am 337.5 pounds

nohij3e7lx2q.jpg
  • conniewilkins56
    Welcome to our group of Losers!...that is a great picture!...it is never too late to get healthy and lose weight....some of us have lost more than others and we have been here different lengths of time...we all share some of the same struggles...this is a good place for inspiration and motivation....lots of helpful information...join in anywhere!
  • secretgirl29
    secretgirl29 Posts: 19 Member
    Good morning!

I am looking for some friends in weight loss for motivation and support.

I am a married mom of two girls, and I travel about 600 kms a week for work. My starting weight about 12 years ago was 350+ lbs. When my oldest child was 9 months old my husband was killed in a car accident and my life completely changed. I went from stay-at-home mom to "oh my goodness what now." I knew that I needed to lose weight so that I could play outside, go for walks, and swim at the beach with my little girl. I needed to be healthier for her. I worked really hard for about 3 years to take off the weight and decided to switch to maintenance at 175 lbs. I gained/lost some weight each year but was very happy at 185-190 lbs. Fast forward to today. I am remarried, I have a job I love, and have had the blessing of another child. While pregnant I gained weight. I am trying to be kind to myself - I grew a small human and kept her alive through complications. Weight gain does NOT mean I am less worthy, less beautiful, less important etc. But the time has come to take the weight off!!

Today I weigh 240.2 lbs. I am making small goals to start - 5 lbs a month. I would love to get back to my happy 185 lbs one day, but I know that slow and steady is best for me. I have been tracking 20 days and feel good.

Being outside is my happy place. Even if I am just reading a book, I feel my anxieties slowly melt when I am outside. Although I have never been athletic, my husband has introduced me to many different outdoor activities that I can truly say I love - but I am definitely an amateur. I adore water - namely swimming and canoeing - but being a resident of northern Canada watersport season is quite short. This year I am learning to skate-ski and while I am absolutely the largest and slowest person on the track it is beautiful and fun. We managed 2 kms last week, the best we have done so far. I am lucky to have a home gym and workout about 3-4 days a week doing strength training and youtube yoga/exercise videos. Slow and steady progress toward being more fit so that I can enjoy being active with my kids.

Because I travel 3-4 days a week for work - this started when I was pregnant, as did the big weight gain - I have found it difficult to move my body everyday. And I struggle with avoiding take-out food while on the road at meal times. I have a plan and it seems to be working, now I need to stick with it!

If my story sounds even a bit like yours please send me a message/friend request! I know this journey will be easier with a few good friends to share the good, bad, and ugly of weight loss with.

Sara
  • lauriekallis
    I found myself on Jan 11th at my most Loserest potential ever (heaviest) at 344.6 pounds and decided I was tired of panting when I got out of bed, or when I changed clothes and so on. I had lost my weight before a few decades ago (45 now) before I was married and met and courted my wife I was at around 212 pounds, so I can do it again right?
    Hi, Chris. Welcome! I love your line "loserest potential" - you have a great talent for putting a positive spin on something. I admire that greatly. You bring powerful things together. Determination and positivity. Sounds like you have what it takes to do this again!

Looking forward to seeing you around.

Laurie

• lauriekallis
    Last time I got down to a weight I am comfortable with, I gained it all back plus.
    Hi, Rose. Welcome. I've been down that road myself, and I think others here have been in that same boat. I'm trying to be more mindful this time around - and remind myself constantly that this is for the longhaul - trying to develop new habits that will last the rest of my lifetime. I think it's doable. It's gotta be - the rollercoaster gets really uncomfortable after a few decades :p

Together here we can help each other. See you 'round!

Laurie

• lauriekallis
    But the time has come to take the weight off!!

Welcome, Sara. Life can really throw out some wicked twists. You sound like a very strong, determined woman the kind of person who can do this again. So many reasons to be healthy and being active is such much easier when were not lugging a bag or two of cement around with every step. For many years I had a 185-190 weight range that I was quite happy with. Until I quite smoking almost 5 years ago and piled on 85 pounds in about six months - that I am pleased to say I lost last year! My original goal was 190 - my old happy place, but I'm going to keep going because I'm so very aware of how good it feels to be lighter. This feels much better than the dopamine rush of treats - so I may as well go for a healthy lower weight - new goal 160 - and see how good that feels!

What a challenge doing this while travelling 3-4 days a week. But I'm sure you can figure out a routine that works for you.

See you around the boards!

Laurie

• conniewilkins56
    Welcome to the newest members!...we are a friendly and motivated bunch!...join in the conversations anywhere....no judgement here just support and inspiration....lots of great information in older posts....a lot of us are looking for people on journeys just like they are on...we love to share!
  • karenbearz11
    karenbearz11 Posts: 6 Member
    Hey everyone, my name is Kare. I have been trying my hardest to lose about 145 lbs. I've lost a little over 70 lbs. at this point, and am kind of stuck. I would love some good friends with great motivation skills :) Please add me to help me along my way. Thanks.
  • bmeadows380
    Hi to all the new folks! Sorry for being a little behind the game here; my life's been topsy turvy lately :) But looks like Connie and Grace are doing a great job in welcoming new folks :grin:

I'm still fighting my plateau myself, @karenbearz11. I have at least stopped my regain, but its been a struggle to stick to my deficit. The problem I've found is that my deficit is now low enough that I'm under what I can satiate myself with and need exercise to get back enough calories for that. However, outdoor walking was the only exercise I could do for long lengths and maintain. Since tis winter, that's on the back burner, which means I'm just hanging tight and trying to hold steady until I can get back to it again.

Taking a break though, isn't bad. I've been plateaued for 3 months, and I can look at it like an extended diet break for my body, which means its been plenty of time for my body to recover from the stress of being in a deficit on it, so I should be raring to go when i can finally get the exercise portion back in!

I jsut keep telling myself don't give up. no matter how many days I mess up, keep trying - as long a I'm trying, there is hope for success; quitting only guarantees failure!
  • Andeelynn45
    Andeelynn45 Posts: 29 Member
    Hi I'm Andrea and I need to lose a minimum of 100 pounds ..
  • conniewilkins56
    Welcome all newcomers and returnees to Larger Losers!...this is a great group of motivated and inspiring members....whether you have 70 or 300 lbs to lose, this is the right group to be in!...join in the posts and comment where you like...there is never any judgement of anyone....tell us as little or as much about yourself and your goals as you are comfortable with sharing....
  • bmeadows380
    Hi, Andrea! You've come to the right place, as Connie said. Losing 100+ lbs is a lesson in patience, understanding, and compromise with yourself. I found it very helpful to find a group of likeminded individuals who understood the challenges I was facing. Its a good group, so don't hesitate to jump in where you feel like it!
  • Andeelynn45
    Andeelynn45 Posts: 29 Member
    Thank You and yes it's been really hard with all the cravings for sugar