Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    Currently 31, partly cloudy with a high of 50 expected today.
    I will make a quick pickup at the library this morning. I may attend a zoom meditation session this afternoon. Need to start a new jigsaw puzzle, get on the elliptical for a while. Will probably bake some squash for meals and soup later this week. If it's sunny, I'll be out on my porch reading again. Will see what else needs to be done.
    Nice that you can eat processed food, Ed...gives you extra easy variety.
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 20,488 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I don't think of the restaurant's TV dinners as processed food, per se, but rather as restaurant food that is already conveniently frozen. Unlike the frozen restaurant labeled foods at the grocery store, the restaurant claims that all their retro TV dinners are made in-house and fresh frozen. It will be interesting to see how the remaining frozen meals taste.

I am definitely leaning toward the fish and chips restaurant TV dinner for tonight, as it's been a while since I had any fish. I should be able to find a nice bottle of wine to go with that.

Of course I DO eat some other foods that I think of as processed food, some of it even HIGHLY processed food.

:)
  • eku0
    Options
    Well, that's really cool, Ed. :) I wasn't putting it down, I'm kind of jealous...I have to be really careful of packaged goods, and restaurant food. It's annoying. Not like this when I was younger.
  • parityanimal
    edited January 2021
    Options
    It's a shame that they only had the one vegetarian retro TV dinner. I only selected one of that one, because we didn't know if J would like it.

On the other hand, it gives me a chance to try out 5 of their meals, and if I like them well enough, another six pack may be on order. They deliver same day!

If I order again I may get two or three of the cheese enchilada dinners. I will have a much better idea by then of which other TV dinners I like the best too, and, honestly, after tasting J's dinner, I think I would like that one a lot, but it does look rather heavy on the carbs.

• parityanimal
    Options
    FOOD REVIEW

Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar's retro TV Dinner Fish N Chips, with beer-battered fish, on waffle-cut potato chips, served with sweet potato tots, on white corn succotash(actually corn, peas, and carrots), with a lemon blueberry cake dessert.

I was concerned that the chips might burn in the 45 minute cooking time but they did not, though they were VERY DARK and crispy. There was a good sized serving of the chips.

The fish was tasty, with a nice, crispy batter, and not dry on the inside at all.

The "white corn succotash" was not anything I would have called succotash, being corn, peas, and carrots, but to each his own. It tasted good enough.

The sweet potato tots seemed like an afterthought and, honestly, WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY THINKING?

Steamed on top of the vegetables, the pitiful looking five tots were hot, and tasted good enough I suppose, but in my opinion some more of the vegetables, instead, would have worked better.

Or even some hush puppies, as long as they weren't steamed over the vegetables.

The lemon blueberry cake was tasty, but way too sweet for my taste, and kind of stuck to the pan, making it a bit difficult to eat.

I will give this one a 3.5 out of 5. It was better than any other fried fish TV dinner I have had, but it will never be a favorite.

echw6d9hwgie.png

Before baking
    tx8srnkh1egt.png

After baking
    4puf89vsje7q.png
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic Friday!

We have a cool, partly cloudy morning, looking toward a partly sunny high of about 50, then a clear, cold evening and a partly cloudy overnight low in the low to mid 30s.

I have a grocery order coming today. Hopefully they will have most of the items.

I think after a somewhat rockier first couple of orders, they have mostly worked out the major kinks. It helps, as I then only have to go for myself occasionally, for those few items that I can't (or won't) order for delivery.

Once I got past my need to pick EVERYTHING myself, and it wasn't easy, I started relaxing into it.

It helped that I started with mostly boxed, canned, and jarred items, along with other non-perishable items, and stuff like paper towels, TP, and paper napkins.

I have learned to order well before I run out, and on certain items to not allow substitutions as they can make what seems like a reasonable substitution (to them) that just doesn't work for me. On the other hand, they have made one or two substitutions that would never have occurred to me, but that I liked.

When I ordered paper bowls and they subbed Styrofoam I was not really happy with that and ended up throwing the Styrofoam bowls away. I just couldn't use them for most of the things I had intended for the paper bowls and they tend to be much too brittle and breakable for what I might have been able to try using them for. I kept them for a week or two and then decided to get them out of the way as they were just taking up space and I decided I really had no use for them.

So, if I decide to order paper bowls (or plates for that matter) I will be marking them NO SUBSTITUTION.

At least the cats getting me up early gave me plenty of time to get my online order together for delivery this afternoon.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    I am going for my first visit with my new rheumatologist this morning. That's about as far ahead as I can think at the moment.
    I don't like styrofoam either, not very versatile...and it's not recyclable. I definitely would not put it in a microwave.
    It's currently 37 and cloudy with a high of 49 and possible rain expected.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Well, today's grocery delivery was perfect.

They weren't out of stock on anything I ordered, and there were no substitutions, inadvertent or otherwise.

Still no Grape Nuts for J but I had prescriptions to pick up at Publix and they were out, with a small sign saying that Post was out of stock because of a manufacturing issue, regarding ingredient availability I think. So J will just have to get by on other cereals that we have here at home.

I did my monthly flush of the air conditioner drain this afternoon. I may take a nap shortly since the cats got me up obscenely early this morning.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday!

I can see the sun out there now, and it's pretty cold. We are expecting partly sunny, cool temperatures for the day with less cloud cover in the evening, and then partial cloud cover through the cold night.

I may take J's car for a spin today, any may even pop into a Kroger store to see if they have any of the Kroger brand Grape Nuts knockoff. Or I may not. I may just stay home and make some German Chocolate cookies. I had planned to make them during the holidays, but we already had way too many sweets in the house.

Leftover pizza for breakfast.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    I'm happy with my new rheumatologist. I felt like we had a good conversation. I have an appt in a couple of weeks for some x-rays and to see the Dr who will give me a steroid injection. I'm hoping that helps.
    It's currently 37 and partly cloudy, high of 44 expected. It was too cloudy and cold to sit in the sun yesterday. No special plans for today...watering the plants, some simple straightening, etc.
    Cookies sound delicious, Ed.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    FOOD REVIEW

Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar's retro TV Dinner Chicken Pot Pie.

The pictures show it as packaged, as it looked or removal of the paper cover, and as it looked when removed from the oven.

I cooked it probably 15 minutes longer than the package directions called for. It might have been done after only the hour indicated, but I wanted my crust a darker golden brown.

Thu crust reminded me somewhat of the crust on the KFC pot pies I used to occasionally buy.

It was tender, and flaky, and tasted good.

The filling could have been just a bit thicker, less soupy, but it was thick enough to satisfy, barely.

It tasted like a fairly standard chicken pot pie, though in my opinion it needed a bit of black pepper, which I added. But then I think a lot of things need that so take that with...er... a grain of salt.

Over all I will give this one a 3.5 out of 5. It was good enough, though there are frozen pot pies in the freezer section at Kroger that, in my opinion, taste better.

I probably won't buy this again, but would not complain if someone served it to me.

It was all right!

But definitely not something I need to be eating on any kind of regular basis. It's rare that I treat myself to a pot pie of any kind nowadays.

ulpr2fjnq484.png

h6rojwocnhox.png

ruu7wpaambn3.png
  • parityanimal
    Options
    And...I gave in and made two dozen German chocolate cookies today, with coconut pecan frosting and a blob of dark chocolate ganache on top. Eduardo made the ganache. LOL.

I broke ONE cookie in half, so the calories would all leak out, and J and I split that one cookie. The remaining 23 are lurking in the kitchen. Unfortunately, in plain sight.

z5ub4jvgsnxk.png

lknrjhz2nmgy.png
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday!

It's not as cold as I expected this morning, and we should reach a partly cloudy 50 degrees. I still need to take J's car for a spin so I guess that is on the schedule for today.

There are now only 20 evil cookies remaining, as I had one for dessert after our supper last night and J had 2 after supper. Supper was on the simple side. Roasted potato wedges and some baked, pre-made, frozen East Indian snacks, made mostly from lentil flour. I had one glass of Chardonnay with supper.

Breakfast this morning was a savoury French toast cheese sandwich with sausage on the side.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Ed, I loved pot pies as a kid...my mother never made them, they were always the frozen ones...can't remember the last time I had it. The cookies look fabulous! It would be dangerous for me to have those in my house! Yum.
    We had roast beef for dinner last night, grass fed, very lean, and delicious. Hubby's getting pretty tired of chicken, and he's not into vegetarian meals, needs something more substantial. Haven't had breakfast yet. Trying to decide whether I want fruit or oatmeal. I think we have salmon for dinner tonight.
    It'scurrently 36 and cloudy with a high of 45 expected today. I sat out on the porch in the sun for a few minutes yesterday, but it was too cold. My house cleaner is coming back tomorrow, so I need to get rid of the clutter today. Makes it easier for her to clean.
    Have a good Sunday, everyone. Stay safe and healthy.
  • parityanimal
    Options
    eku0 wrote: »

Ed, I loved pot pies as a kid...my mother never made them, they were always the frozen ones...can't remember the last time I had it.

My mother never made it either, but we loved them. She would buy whichever brand was on sale and bake up a bunch for dinner every now and then, cutting a letter into the top so we could tell which kind they were. Beef was easy, being brown gravy, but chicken and turkey looked a lot alike to us.

We preferred the ones that had a bottom crust as well as a top crust, but we would take whatever she bought and enjoy it.

I don't actually remember ever making one myself, now that I think of it. LOL. It is just so easy to buy that pre-made.
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Sounds like everyone is well. I have really cut down on my computer links and phone links this week. So much more pleasant. I had a tooth removed on Monday, but all went fairly well. I have a really deep seated fear of the dentist. They were very sweet and kind. Something I value quite a bit.
    Jo, I hope your issues with your eye pressure becomes easier. They are always having new ways to deal with things. That is to the good. :)
    Hi Irene!
    Hope everyone has a peaceful week. All we can often control is ourselves.
    Stay safe all!! <3

• parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! It's another chilly morning that should warm up to a sunny 51 this afternoon.

I have the dishwasher running. J and I are slowly eliminating the cookies. They are a nice treat, but can't say that we really needed them. Still, things have been rather stressful, and I am being careful to eat only one at a time.

Breakfast today was steel cut oatmeal with blueberries and cream, and sausage on the side.

I am running the dishwasher now and may do some sweeping later. I have given Lilo her Monday morning fluid treatment, and she has run off to the master bedroom to await her breakfast.

• eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Sorry about your tooth, Jan. I hope you are feeling ok. It's interesting how much our teeth, gums, and general status of our mouths affect our health.
    Ed, those cookies look so delicious. Enjoy one for me! I'll pretend. I ended up having fruit yesterday, but I'm leaning toward oatmeal this morning.
    Our housecleaner is coming today. I'm grateful for that. We'll all wear masks, and my house will be cleaner.
    It's currently 36 and cloudy with a high of 41 expected. My new jigsaw puzzle is hard...too many of the pieces fit into places they don't belong!
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Light lunch today. Salad, hard salami, and a measured amount of Ritz crackers. Peaches in juice for dessert.

7pp3oh46kwpd.png
  • parityanimal
    Options
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! It's 29 clear and cold degrees right now, but is supposed to get to a partly sunny 59 this afternoon!

I have given Lilo her Tuesday shot and eaten my breakfast of sausage, eggs, and cottage cheese. I will be working on this pot of tea for a bit. I may pop out to Aldi and/or Lidl today but at this cold moment, that is not something I want to think about so it may not happen. LOL.