TEAM: Gutbusters (February)

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Happy Saturday!!

How is everyone feeling at the end of week one? What’s keeping you motivated/what’s getting you down?

Covid lockdown here is getting me down and sapping my motivation to exercise, but it is also sapping my motivation to cook, and I have no prepared "junk" food in the house, so I am eating less at least.

This past week was ROUGH, right? I agree...I have been pretty ok for nearly a year and this week was super hard.
    BUT...what is motivating me to get down to my Happy Weight (I am between 2-5 lbs up after holidays...) is that this isn't forever! I think summer will be more normal (I was actually vaccinated, as I am essential as a teacher teaching each day in person) but gotta wait for my family too! I am excited to be out and about in warm weather SOON! (I say this on a day when the high in Chicago is literally 5!!)
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Happy Saturday!!

How is everyone feeling at the end of week one? What’s keeping you motivated/what’s getting you down?

Covid lockdown here is getting me down and sapping my motivation to exercise, but it is also sapping my motivation to cook, and I have no prepared "junk" food in the house, so I am eating less at least.

This past week was ROUGH, right? I agree...I have been pretty ok for nearly a year and this week was super hard.
    BUT...what is motivating me to get down to my Happy Weight (I am between 2-5 lbs up after holidays...) is that this isn't forever! I think summer will be more normal (I was actually vaccinated, as I am essential as a teacher teaching each day in person) but gotta wait for my family too! I am excited to be out and about in warm weather SOON! (I say this on a day when the high in Chicago is literally 5!!)

Yeah hopefully things open up this summer I have two sons who both had to postpone weddings to August and September this year so just praying that those get to happen. This week didn’t start much better it snowed overnight and didn’t know there was ice underneath so wiped out walking the dogs, and it is supposed to be -20 (C) here tonight. This week can only get better from here anyway!
  • Kookooketomomma
    Kookooketomomma Posts: 4 Member
    Hi everyone! So new to this and missed posting my weigh-in on Saturday. I just found out what team I am on and found the spreadsheet, whew! Finally got to the team group...long road, lol. I did weigh-in yesterday but like I mentioned, just found the spreadsheet and team I am on. I'll go ahead and post my weigh-in now even if it won't count this week.

Username: kookooketomomma
    Weigh-in Week 1
    Weigh-in Day: Saturday
    Previous weight: 324.2
    Today's weight(Sat): 327

So happy to be participating in this challenge :)<3
  • Pumpitusa
    Pumpitusa Posts: 169 Member
    Pumpitusa
    Aug SW 345.2
    Sept 339.4
    Oct 329.4
    Nov 327.6
    Dec 328.2
    Jan 319.0
    2/1/21 SW 319.0
    2/7/21 cw 319.8
    Sorry team bad week.
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Keepingtrack1234 Posts: 911 Member
    Monday weigh in's from:
    @JJ282R
    @NationalCapital
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Hi everyone! So new to this and missed posting my weigh-in on Saturday. I just found out what team I am on and found the spreadsheet, whew! Finally got to the team group...long road, lol. I did weigh-in yesterday but like I mentioned, just found the spreadsheet and team I am on. I'll go ahead and post my weigh-in now even if it won't count this week.

Username: kookooketomomma
    Weigh-in Week 1
    Weigh-in Day: Saturday
    Previous weight: 324.2
    Today's weight(Sat): 327

So happy to be participating in this challenge :)<3

So Glad you're here!! Welcome! Your weigh in day is Friday; I will get your weight for week 2 this Friday, thanks!
  • NationalCapital
    NationalCapital Posts: 108 Member
    Good morning team:

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I'm sure most of you guys watched the Super Bowl. Since I'm Canadian, I'm more of a CFL gal myself.

SW 172
    CW 171.

Cheers.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,152 Member
    My weight seems to fluctuate erradically. There's not a close correlation between my calories consumed/burned and my weight loss. My weight seems to plateau periodically even when I see a fair amount of net calories burned, then I can lose a pound or more overnight. It's frustrating and discouraging during those plateaus. But there are several theories that attempt to explain this erradic weight loss. So I'm sharing a few of them here not to suggest that they are fact (they're just theories), but more to suggest to everyone not to be discouraged when it seems you're not making any progress.

1. "Whoosh effect" - This is less of a theory than it is hearsay (it's been described as "physiologically impossible"). It suggests that fat cells strive to maintain their size short term by taking on water as they lose fat mass. Then eventually, when the ratio of fat to water within the cell reaches some point, they shrink expelling water in the process. This can result in rapid weight loss overnight after days of little or no loss.

2. "Set Point Theory" - I followed the Set Point diet in the '80's (for a while). This theory suggests that the body attempts to maintain a certain weight. There is evidence that the body resists weight loss more effectively than it does weight gain (well, of course! :smile:). But the body will respond to certain factors by eventually reducing (or raising) its "set point". wikipedia: Set Point Theory

3. Muscle vs Fat - You might be gaining some muscle mass which could partially offset the fat loss. There's something to be said for judging your progress by how you feel, and how you look, and how your clothes are fitting.

Whatever the reason, and the mechanisms involved, my experience tells me that I can't judge my progress only by weight loss alone. So when I hit a wall with my weight loss, I'm determined to persevere knowing that I'll see the results eventually. I encourage anyone who has had this same experience to do the same.

Don't give up! Don't stop! Failure is not an option! :D
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,152 Member
    Ashley @AB0215, Krystal @Krysless2, Megan @Keepingtrack1234
    Can you give a link to the spreadsheet for February?
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Ashley @AB0215, Krystal @Krysless2, Megan @Keepingtrack1234
    Can you give a link to the spreadsheet for February?
    The spreadsheet is located on the main group page, under "FEBRUARY"
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113559-the-biggest-loser-monthly-challenge
  • metubal
    metubal Posts: 290 Member
    I am sorry, I'm posting my Feb 5th weight with a big delay..

Username: Metubal
    Weigh in week: Feb week 1
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight (lbs): 183.5
    Today's Weight (lbs): 183.4

I basically stayed the same. Last Friday I talked with my doctor and nutritionist to figure out why I'm not losing weight or why my sugar levels are not coming down. I'm eating about 50g net carbs per day (and very clean, no processed or packaged, mostly colorful veggies, minimum animal protein), staying active, sleeping well, drinking water... The only area I'm failing big time is stress management.

I had some labs done on Friday. This month I'll also get tested for food allergies and cortisol. It is discouraging to see my sugar levels (and my weight) not going down..at all. Normally I lose (and gain) easily.
  • Keepingtrack1234
    metubal wrote: »

I basically stayed the same. Last Friday I talked with my doctor and nutritionist to figure out why I'm not losing weight or why my sugar levels are not coming down. I'm eating about 50g net carbs per day (and very clean, no processed or packaged, mostly colorful veggies, minimum animal protein), staying active, sleeping well, drinking water... The only area I'm failing big time is stress management.

I had some labs done on Friday. This month I'll also get tested for food allergies and cortisol. It is discouraging to see my sugar levels (and my weight) not going down..at all. Normally I lose (and gain) easily.

Thanks for checking in; glad you're checking in with your doc. Sounds like a hormone thing and it's good you are getting labs run. Have you read Sara Gottfried's books? She has a hormone quiz that might help you see patterns (high/low estrogen/progesterone, cortisol, etc...) Good luck and keep us posted.
  • metubal

Whatever the reason, and the mechanisms involved, my experience tells me that I can't judge my progress only by weight loss alone. So when I hit a wall with my weight loss, I'm determined to persevere knowing that I'll see the results eventually. I encourage anyone who has had this same experience to do the same.

Don't give up! Don't stop! Failure is not an option! :D

Thank you for this! I'm stuck at 180s and my body must think this is the right weight for me. Well, it's not! I'll go down to my healthy 130s!
  • metubal

Thanks for checking in; glad you're checking in with your doc. Sounds like a hormone thing and it's good you are getting labs run. Have you read Sara Gottfried's books? She has a hormone quiz that might help you see patterns (high/low estrogen/progesterone, cortisol, etc...) Good luck and keep us posted.

I have never heard about her before. I looked up her name and saw what she does. Yeah, seems to be talking about me🙄
    *I know that I have almost no progesterone, which makes me estrogen dominant. I have always ignored this fact because I don't like to use meds. But I might have reached a point where I can't ignore it anymore.

*My cortisol levels are way off, too. This is the stress and fat hormone so it is a big part of my persistent weight gain..

*my joints are getting stiffer by the day. So last year we did an autoimmune panel. The results showed elevated ANA levels that triggered more testing but in the end they were not conclusive. So my Dr eliminated the possibility of an auto immune disorder for now. So we are focusing on food allergies / sensitivities. I did allergy testing 10 years ago and it looked pretty normal back then. But 10 years is a long time...

Human body is so complicated and beautiful!
  • Keepingtrack1234

I have never heard about her before. I looked up her name and saw what she does. Yeah, seems to be talking about me🙄
    *I know that I have almost no progesterone, which makes me estrogen dominant. I have always ignored this fact because I don't like to use meds. But I might have reached a point where I can't ignore it anymore.

*My cortisol levels are way off, too. This is the stress and fat hormone so it is a big part of my persistent weight gain..

*my joints are getting stiffer by the day. So last year we did an autoimmune panel. The results showed elevated ANA levels that triggered more testing but in the end they were not conclusive. So my Dr eliminated the possibility of an auto immune disorder for now. So we are focusing on food allergies / sensitivities. I did allergy testing 10 years ago and it looked pretty normal back then. But 10 years is a long time...

Human body is so complicated and beautiful!

You might also really like Frank Lipman! Also an MD, like Gottfried. LOTS of great advice, too. I would start with New Rules for healthy living!
  • Keepingtrack1234
    weigh in from:
    @Fit4Re
  • Fit4Re
    Fit4Re Posts: 22 Member
    Rough week but I got myself together!!! Hope to see these pounds fall off.

Fit4Re
    Start 263.6
    1st week 260.8
    2nd week 260.8
  • Keepingtrack1234
    Fit4Re wrote: »
    Rough week but I got myself together!!! Hope to see these pounds fall off.

Fit4Re
    Start 263.6
    1st week 260.8
    2nd week 260.8

Looks good to me! Keep it up!
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Colleen790
    Feb week 2
    PW 173.5
    CW 172.8
This discussion has been closed.