Replies

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Tom1997B wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m 21 years old, 328lb, 6’4.

Hoping to get to around 200lb. I’ve tried dieting a few times and haven’t really gotten anywhere so any tips or advice would be appreciated

I'll keep it short.

Slow and steady, and don't let one bad day turn into a week.

Don't beat yourself up, and set small goals so you can pat yourself on the back many times along the way!

(also you got anything on your mind, ask us... We are here to help each other).

Welcome Tom!

AHAH I Necroed a post from the first page! DOH ( BLush Blush Blush ) :D
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,702 Member
    Options
    Dante_80 wrote: »
    Many thanks btw. I do seem to view this as a science project of sorts, with the added benefit of self-improvement in the end. Or at least...that's what I tell myself... :p

Well, I admit that the science fair aspect of this definitely drew ME in (and at times kept me going!)

Wait till you get sucked into trying to figure out how to make sweet potato or zucchini/carrot brownies using sucralose and unsweetened apple sauce instead of sugar and oil :lol: Alternative browni-sh-es and creating lower calorie cookies occupied plenty of my time (and possibly a day or two or three more worth of calories) especially when I was losing weight more rapidly and/or over an extended time period.

As recently as 1984 (now how's THAT for a :lol:) you would have been able to find me somewhere near the intersection of Benaki and Tsimiski :wink:

Nowadays... you're more likely for find me logging on Cronometer, or hanging out here!
  • FitByFifty1970
    FitByFifty1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late, internet issues until today and I couldn't get my laptop going, just the phone app which is funky. I put a lot of detail on my week in my 'Hi Again' thread but here is a summary. Really happy considering I had TWO 'party nights' (Sat is pizza/booze and we did a heckuva St. Patrick's night on Wed....it is just us two still isolating at home but we can have FUN). Not sure anyone really follows many threads, just some random 'like' clicking, this isn't the group it used to be before for sure...I checked out for a while so I guess it is more jarring to me than seeing it just gradually die. I hope it comes back and more people are interactive. Time will tell.

Details for those that are interested:

Female
    Start age 49
    Start date 9/8/2019
    Start weight 256.0
    Current age 50
    Current date 3/18/2021
    Current weight 184.6
    Total loss 71.4

And the spreadsheet - weeks I didn't weigh were post surgery related and/or not really actively on any weight loss plan. Explained in earlier posts.

9ew8elg4xzch.png
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You really are doing a great job!

Not sure if you noticed but our leader Novus has been missing for some time...no explanation, just basically gone!....we are trying to keep this group going until he comes back, or if he comes back!...we sure miss his posts, leadership and insight...I hope you keep checking in with us...also any suggestions to help us would be appreciated....we really need this group for people that need to lose a substantial amount of weight....
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Now I don't know if my previous message posted or not.

I thought I saw at least one message from Novus after you told me you had not seen him for a while.

I actually sent him a message via mfp; but it is pretty common for the app to not transmit a message between people who are not linked as friends.

As I've stated before Novus's posts are very well articulated and extremely close to mirroring word for word my own experiences and thoughts. A few nits for me to pick here and there where we might not see eye to eye, sure. But not when discussing the high percentage plays.

And Novus started posting increasingly at a time when rational thought said/says I should reduce the time I spend on mfp. Plus his starting point gives him additional perspective that I lack: sure I started at a morbidly obese level; but only "just". My (then) analogue scale topped at 280. I went well over and stopped weighing but I am fairly sure I never exceeded 300lbs.

Anyway. If he has just cut down on his participation I hope he is well. And if he's facing challenges that he is not yet/ever wanting to discuss (not all challenges pertain to mfp), anyway, I hope he overcomes them, or at least slowly mitigates them into something he can work/live with as the case may be.
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @FitByFifty1970 , I was one of the random likes 🤷🏻‍♂️

You seem to be going fairly fast with large week to week losses on the weeks you get on the scale.

Just edited to change what I wrote since I now read some of your other posts.

I will just gently remind you that there exists no contest and no race. The goal is to improve your health, to put down on automatic the preconditions that will move you into the direction you want to be at till you get there... and then continue to stay there because you're continuing to do most of the same things!

"you do you boo!"👍

The rest are distractions and you're absolutely already doing more than excellent!!! 🤣

• Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Little progress this week, at least in the right direction though. I'll take it. :*

Height: 167cm - 5'6''
    SW: 177.8 kg - 392 lb - 63,8 ΒΜΙ (May 2020)
    GW: 69 kg - 153 lb - 24,9 ΒΜΙ

LW: 119.0 kg - 262.3 lb - 42,7 ΒΜΙ
    CW: 118.7 kg - 261.7 lb - 42,6 ΒΜΙ
    Variance: -0.3 kg / -0.7 lb / -0.25% TBW

OL: 59.1 kg - 130.3 lb - 21.2BMI

Weight remaining for:
    Obese class II: 7.4 kg - 16.4 lb
    Obese class I: 21.4 kg - 47.1 lb
    Overweight: 35.3 kg - 77.8 lb
    Normal: 49.3 kg - 108.6 lb
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I thought I saw at least one message from Novus after you told me you had not seen him for a while.

I actually sent him a message via mfp; but it is pretty common for the app to not transmit a message between people who are not linked as friends.

As I've stated before Novus's posts are very well articulated and extremely close to mirroring word for word my own experiences and thoughts. A few nits for me to pick here and there where we might not see eye to eye, sure. But not when discussing the high percentage plays.

And Novus started posting increasingly at a time when rational thought said/says I should reduce the time I spend on mfp. Plus his starting point gives him additional perspective that I lack: sure I started at a morbidly obese level; but only "just". My (then) analogue scale topped at 280. I went well over and stopped weighing but I am fairly sure I never exceeded 300lbs.

Anyway. If he has just cut down on his participation I hope he is well. And if he's facing challenges that he is not yet/ever wanting to discuss (not all challenges pertain to mfp), anyway, I hope he overcomes them, or at least slowly mitigates them into something he can work/live with as the case may be.

He posted one since I messaged you...I hope he is ok!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    He posted one since I messaged you...I hope he is ok!

I hope you can edit the previous post Connie, cause.... MFP triple quoted my wall of text!!!🤣

But any sign of life means that he is out there handling whatever issues he needs to!

And maybe he will find time to come back!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Little progress this week, at least in the right direction though. I'll take it. :*

LW: 119.0 kg - 262.3 lb - 42,7 ΒΜΙ
    CW: 118.7 kg - 261.7 lb - 42,6 ΒΜΙ
    Variance: -0.3 kg / -0.7 lb / -0.25% TBW

OL: 59.1 kg - 130.3 lb - 21.2BMI

Weight remaining for:
    Obese class II: 7.4 kg - 16.4 lb
    Obese class I: 21.4 kg - 47.1 lb
    Overweight: 35.3 kg - 77.8 lb
    Normal: 49.3 kg - 108.6 lb

Progress is progress and I don't know if you use straight scale weight or weight trend via app such as trendweigh/Libra/happy scale or spreadsheet moving averages. If the first it is extremely likely that your have some water weight noise, especially if you're walking on affected legs!
  • Dante_80
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Progress is progress and I don't know if you use straight scale weight or weight trend via app such as trendweigh/Libra/happy scale or spreadsheet moving averages. If the first it is extremely likely that your have some water weight noise, especially if you're walking on affected legs!

Straight scale. A very big change in exercise combined with a different weighing day (and menu in the day before) should account for most of the changes here. Will know next week, although I don't really pay too much attention to scale weight itself (I do a DEXA every two months for data to re-calibrate my choices if needed).

Irregardless of progress though, It's cool to pass the "130lb overall loss" mark this week - although I'm a metric person myself B)

• PAV8888
    Options

Straight scale. A very big change in exercise combined with a different weighing day (and menu in the day before) should account for most of the changes here. Will know next week, although I don't really pay too much attention to scale weight itself (I do a DEXA every two months for data to re-calibrate my choices if needed).

Irregardless of progress though, It's cool to pass the "130lb overall loss" mark this week - although I'm a metric person myself B)

Dexa too! Someone is quite high-tech and has access to toys!

Played with that while losing too. Was quite interesting to see how my loss ratio was almost more than 10:1 fat to lean mass while obese (even when going at 2lbs a week) and into high overweight and then how it rapidly changed to more and more lean mass being lost as the weight continued to come down at about the mid overweight level (let's call it bmi 27-28).

I am sure you realize it; but in case someone else reading it doesn't, some / most of the lean mass in question is perfectly normal to be lost and by lean mass we are NOT just referring to muscle...

But even when it comes to muscle the amount of, for example, calf muscle you need to walk as an obese person vs the amount of calf muscle on a normal weight person is not the same.

Having said that, watching the ratio was also a wake up call for me to change the size of deficits and to significantly slow down and tapper the deficits... which was, in my retrospective opinion, an incredibly good and fortuitous decision.

Call out for Peter at bodycomp imaging for anyone who is in Vancouver, BC... he certainly did a good job and was reasonably priced for the service he was providing up to the last time I scanned there late August 2017. He was also getting a new machine and software at that point though he seems to have stayed with hologic units!

If you know of a reasonably priced DEXA scan place in Athens... let me know... I might convince someone I know to visit!
  • Dante_80
    edited March 2021
    Options
    If you know of a reasonably priced DEXA scan place in Athens... let me know... I might convince someone I know to visit!

I'm going here myself, the cost is 25€. Hope it helps!
    https://www.iatrikidiagnosi.com/body-composition/

• PAV8888
    Options
    Thank you!
    We'll see if CCCGG will decide to give it a try!
    (cute & cuddly crazy greek girl...)
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,659 Member
    Options
    Jan 27 I weighed 247.5 and today I weighed 248.5 so I think it is time to lose some more weight!...at least I maintained for 8 weeks and I have never done that before...I either gain or lose but never maintain!...maybe this is a victory of some kind?...I dunno....I have had a rough couple of weeks mentally and emotionally with some family issues getting my sister in law into an assisted living facility....it’s been rough....but the worst is over and I feel like I can get back on track!...self care is just as important as taking care of others...SO....I am planning on a hair cut/ trim and a mani and pedi plus some shopping the next few weeks!....stay strong everyone!

You go girl! Maybe you should share a pic of the polished up shiny new you!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hey you've done good under "interesting" circumstances Connie! Woohoo!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Hey you've done good under "interesting" circumstances Connie! Woohoo!

We have had a lot of extra drama in our lives lately and my coping technique has always been to overeat...I will be the first to admit that I have been struggling a lot the last few months ....I have been binging a lot more the past six weeks....but when I look how far I have come in almost two years, I am still averaging over 1 lb a week in lost weight....at my age that is still good!....I will get myself completely back on track again soon...all advice is welcome and listened to!
  • Dante_80
    Options
    Some progress this week. So, so close to 60kg overall loss, but no cigar. Hopefully next week.

LW: 118.7 kg - 261.7 lb - 42,6 ΒΜΙ
    CW: 117.9 kg - 259.9 lb - 42,3 ΒΜΙ
    Variance: -0.8 kg / -1.8 lb / -0.67% TBW

OL: 59.9 kg - 132.1 lb - 21.5 BMI

Weight remaining for:
    Obese class II: 6.6 kg - 14.6 lb
    Obese class I: 20.6 kg - 45.3 lb
    Overweight: 34.5 kg - 76.1 lb
    Normal: 48.5 kg - 106.8 lb
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I have been binging a lot more the past six weeks....but when I look how far I have come in almost two years, I am still averaging over 1 lb a week in lost weight....at my age that is still good!....I will get myself completely back on track again soon...all advice is welcome and listened to!

Considered is all that one would ask. In the end individual circumstances are... individual! :wink:

If you're AVERAGING 1lb this means that you're cutting 500 Cal a day on average IN SPITE of the multiple (by your description) over-eating episodes.

While FULLY acknowledging and understanding the propensity to eat when upset
    (data point: while obese I would have SWORN to you that I was NOT an emotional eater. I fully 100% believed it.I would never grab a tub of ice cream because I am upset. But guess what. Every time I am upset I start grazing. Nuts, chocolates, cookies, more of whatever food I was having... if I am upset/agitated/angry/stewing, I am eating and there is NO STOP to that because it is not even registering. SURE. Now I do count it all and I don't go out to have supper in spite of the 2000 Cal of grazing I already did. But no emotional eating? OR if up late working and feeling slightly down or wanting to wake up? Yeah... right!) OK: back to our regular programing
    I would like to draw your attention to the fact that people with a smaller deficit tend to binge less.

So yes, you want progress. But the best progress for you both now and in the future will be achieved by getting increasingly better handle on your emotional over-eating... as if you didn't already know this!

And that MIGHT be accomplished by a smaller deficit... or at the very least helped by that. (I would maybe consider trying for -500 to -750 Cal on a daily basis instead of 1000++ which you must be doing to continue on a -500 path while over-eating several times a week)