GOAL ZONE Maintenance chat

Options

Replies

• eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    @debbiewsharpe good for you it's heading in the right direction - that's always inspiring. I had a good weigh in too today and will keep on. I still hadn't quite figured out where my magic number lies, am going to work a little more at it and see if 9-10 more pounds feels right. Got through the holidays pretty well.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    I just dropped in over on the Maintenance message board as I do from time to time. There are some helpful threads over there.

The group of stuff they have put together as best of the board is worth a look:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300324/most-helpful-posts-goal-maintaining-weight-must-reads#latest

and my latest fave thread
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10818417/i-made-it-now-grateful-for-this-great-community-to-help-keep-it#latest
  • eggfreak
    Options
    thanks @jugar for the links - I haven't even looked at those before.
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    thanks @jugar i checked out both links as well.
  • debbiewsharpe
    Options
    @eggfreak
    OK, I gotta ask - did your name come from a love of eating eggs? MY curiosity has gotten the best of me😍😍😍🤷‍♀️ You will hit on that magic number that you feel is the one for you!
  • eggfreak
    Options
    hi Debbie, for about 10 yrs I kept chickens, loved it and loved eating eggs, still do, every way shape and form. But even eggs I had to cut back a bit as MFP dropped my daily allotted calories. So most mornings I have one, 'fried' in a pan (I put that in quotes because I'm just quick spritzing the cast iron pan with cooking spray) and if I have a salad, i always put a boiled egg in it. We always have boiled eggs in the fridge. I ALSO never thought that I would be in a 'community' when I signed on years ago and didn't really care what I entered, ha ha. I looked once and saw that you are allowed to change your username - but you can only do that ONCE. And so I remain....an eggfreak. (I could as easily be called soupfreak ) :D but can't really think what I'd change to.
  • debbiewsharpe
    Options
    @eggfreak
    Thanks for the post above. My curios mind is now at ease. 😍 I also put egg on a toss salad and often have one for breakfast. I was having an egg every day for breakfast until I started trying intermittent fasting. I go through spells, for a few months it is oatmeal, then a pancake with sugar free syrup, then an egg and cheese and now fruit about 10:00. I have cut my lunch back to 1/2 of a turkey sandwich (so I can have chips). Supper is always our biggest meal. I think it is a southern thing! I am still having some sweets but in moderation and my serving size is smaller. I guess if I had a food name it would be dark chocolate freak!
  • jugar
    Options
    I think I am whatever is the opposite of an @eggfreak, even though Sylvia and I share a lot of other cool stuff - from the Boston area, Capricorns, on the same team :heart: I have never loved eggs, but as I get older, I could do without them forever, except in baked things. I have an omelet once a year or so, as long as it has lots of veg in it and is NOT cooked too hard or fast. Otherwise, eggs kind of put me off. So all the more for you! My kids used to tease me about my annual omelet. I think I might have skipped it in 2020... I also truly dislike chocolate! Weird, I know. If I had a food name it might be nutfreak. or lentiladdict.

I am having a hard time getting back towards the bottom of my maintenance range :frowning: Probably too many nuts and legumes :grimace: I find it hard to have salad for lunches the way I do all summer, and my soups are on the hearty side. Ah well - I'm not going to sweat it as long as I am still within the 5 pound range. Have a good one, fellow freaks!
  • eggfreak
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    I think I am whatever is the opposite of an @eggfreak, even though Sylvia and I share a lot of other cool stuff - from the Boston area, Capricorns, on the same team :heart: I have never loved eggs, but as I get older, I could do without them forever, except in baked things. I have an omelet once a year or so, as long as it has lots of veg in it and is NOT cooked too hard or fast. Otherwise, eggs kind of put me off. So all the more for you! My kids used to tease me about my annual omelet. I think I might have skipped it in 2020... I also truly dislike chocolate! Weird, I know. If I had a food name it might be nutfreak. or lentiladdict.

I am having a hard time getting back towards the bottom of my maintenance range :frowning: Probably too many nuts and legumes :grimace: I find it hard to have salad for lunches the way I do all summer, and my soups are on the hearty side. Ah well - I'm not going to sweat it as long as I am still within the 5 pound range. Have a good one, fellow freaks!
    Yay, more eggs for me :)

Hearty soups. I've got a bean one in the fridge just now - it calculated out a little higher in calories than usual (I'm not good at obeying recipes) and I'm considering thinning it a little with some broth/stock to change the proportions. I'll bet the further you get away from the holiday feasting, you'll get your regular rhythm back and get to back into your favorite part of the zone. Omg, a few more weeks of this workweek hustle business, we'll be positively svelte!!
  • eggfreak
    Options
    @eggfreak
    Thanks for the post above. My curios mind is now at ease. 😍 I also put egg on a toss salad and often have one for breakfast. I was having an egg every day for breakfast until I started trying intermittent fasting. I go through spells, for a few months it is oatmeal, then a pancake with sugar free syrup, then an egg and cheese and now fruit about 10:00. I have cut my lunch back to 1/2 of a turkey sandwich (so I can have chips). Supper is always our biggest meal. I think it is a southern thing! I am still having some sweets but in moderation and my serving size is smaller. I guess if I had a food name it would be dark chocolate freak!

my alternate breakfast is also oatmeal (usually with banana) - quick and easy and filling. Are you still doing the intermittent fasting?
  • debbiewsharpe
    Options
    @eggfreak
    very intermittent, definitely not regular. I eat something around 8-9 at night and don't eat again until around 10 in the am or often until 12 for lunch. Guess that is a semi fast.
  • jugar
    Options
    Has it really been so long since we posted in here? We need more people on maintenance to keep it up :blush:

We have a new person joining in for March, though :smiley: Welcome to maintenance @CurvyCalorie ! Even if you later decide to go back to the regular team and revise your goal weight downwards a bit, it is good to stay at this initial goal for a bit and allow yourself to make the adjustment and see how it goes. Feel free to share your hacks, questions, or any kind of thoughts any time.
  • CurvyCalorie
    CurvyCalorie Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It's SO nice to be here!!! :) I hit my goal at 150.0 woot woot! My goal is to stay between 147 and 152 Monday's are my weigh in day.

Its hard for me to post ( I have to boot someone off a computer) haha Anywhoooo....its great to be here! <3
  • jugar
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It's SO nice to be here!!! :) I hit my goal at 150.0 woot woot! My goal is to stay between 147 and 152 Monday's are my weigh in day.

Its hard for me to post ( I have to boot someone off a computer) haha Anywhoooo....its great to be here! <3

Welcome aboard! Want some bigger boots? My taller half has some size 12 men's that he does not wear anymore :smiley:
  • eggfreak
    Options
    Hello! I have struggled with maintenance...see? But I feel I'm getting back on track.
    xxpr3pweyruj.png

• jugar
    Options
    Wonderful! And thanks for posting here - the thread has been sleeping for a while. We need more people to hit maintenance and stay with us!

I have been enjoying one of the GOOD things about maintenance lately. You know how your body loved staying at a particular weight and would not budge even when you were doing everything right? It was used to being there. It liked being there, and did a lot of mysterious things to make sure it did. Well, once you are at your maintenance zone for quite a long time, the same thing will happen. Even when you eat more, it will stay there. Within reason, of course! But I am finding I can eat more now than I could when I first hit this zone. I hung around 120 easily for a year or 2, and when I moved to 114-115, it was hard to keep it there. Now it seems easy, even though I am eating a bit more than what it took to get here. It took about 6 months for that to happen, so be patient if you're just getting there!
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Theresa. I put on twenty pounds over the past two years. Like a lot of people, one of my New Year’s Resolutions was to lose the weight.

I trialed Noom for two weeks. Learned about logging, and how weight naturally fluctuates. Began exercising and drinking seltzer (two things I’ve avoided). After the trial ended, I joined MFP and found an incredibly supportive community (especially within the Downsizers & UAC).

I just hit my goal on Saturday. This is my first week on maintenance (adjusted my calories using The Diet Fix calculator- MFP had it a bit higher). I’m looking forward to getting to know you and help support you.
  • jugar
    Options
    Welcome @TheresaM787 !

I am always glad when F2F members stay on after reaching the long-awaited goal weight. The work of maintaining is not that different from losing, but it does gradually get easier. I hope you find interesting and useful info here on this thread - and I'm sure you'll have some to offer as well! Fire away with any questions or ideas you'd like to discuss here. Stick with Downsizers for weekly weigh-ins but you'll be in the Goal Zone section of the spreadsheet starting next month and can bring any maintenance-oriented discussions here. Great job!
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Thank you @jugar . 🥳
    I agree, that’s exactly how I feel about maintenance. It’s pretty much the same structure- track everything and exercise (except I have an extra 215 calories).
    Over the past few weeks, I’ve been preparing for maintenance. I’ve been listening to the Half Size Me podcasts- specifically the ones pertaining to maintenance. They are very helpful.
    Thank you again Jugar. Have a great Tuesday!!