Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Anne: all according to a point of view...to me the furniture on loan shows the possibilities. An empty house is harder to imagine how furniture will fit or how it can possibly work. Some people cannot imagine how a room would look with furniture. They are not good at spacial relationships. I know this may sound sexist but in my experience a lot of men have difficulty placing furniture in a good harmonious way. Certainly not all men but....anyway. I would try to see the real estate agent’s staging as good for Harry and wife, they will get a good price for their house in order to start their new life. At the real estate open house, you can go and walk through to see everything, just for fun.
    Patsy☘️
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Readers Digest version (LOL): Yesterday and today were & have been good days. Both Jean and I had morning dealership appt’s for routine servicing and car inspections.

Jean is excited that the 2021 NY State Fair is a go! Crowds will be limited to 50%, which basically means only 50,000 people on the fairgrounds at any given time. Capacity levels might be expanded depending upon virus status.

This morning I had some errands to run and Jean had a planned breakfast with a dozen or so former co-workers now retired. You can tell how old everyone is getting a bit older. Some have hearing aids or are getting them, another is dropped off by his wife, a couple use canes and a good friend we stay in touch with just got home yesterday from getting a hip replacement…I like her a lot and we often joke on the phone. She is in her early 80’s and I have known her 25 yrs and Jean longer.

Lunch today: Organic portabella mushroom, Riced Cauliflower, Bell Pepper, soy splash, Chicken Breast, Skinless, meatball, Tomato Basil sauce, Parmesan & Romano Grated Cheese and Broccoli

7elmsv2z6ezv.jpg

Sandy – glad you liked the sneakers…I think she will. With regards to flowers, I normally like to buy when it isn’t expected – but do on the obvious days. Jean is definitely a flower/garden person. I know what you mean on gifts and dinner at Wild Fire – the name alone has me thinking charred steak or broiled seafood – not that I would know. Very sweet of them. Our plans have not been firmed up yet as Brooke’s 6th birthday falls on Mothers Day and obviously my daughter would be with her mom. W’re flexible, so whatever is good for everyone is OK with us.

Patsy – Thanks on the flowers, Jean did love them. For the record, I am not one of those guys that does something wrong and then buys flowers or a gift. LOL. When I mess up (I know hard to believe), I just directly apologize. The sneakers are different from the norm I would buy for her and not sure what else I will get her. I always try to get something that is personal that when I am gone will be a memory for her. I could not be more proud of her as a daughter and the amazing wife and mother she has become. I never post this kind of message on social media because it would sound like bragging to family/friends – in reality it’s an internal pride. She has outperformed me in many ways and after all – don’t all parents want that for their kids.

I love buying gifts for others, but have found gift cards can be a huge plus too. I guess it depends on whom I am buying for. We give a gift family membership to the kids each Christmas and they use it throughout the year. I like gift cards so I can save them until the $$ amount equals a nice gift for myself (or something I hate to pay out of pocket).

Lin – As above – thanks on the sneakers – your opinion added to others makes me confidant I made a wise selection. Yes, Wegmans is a great store – I am fortunate to live and exercise extremely close to it. Wegmans was again named one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For®, Ranking #4 by Fortune magazine … they always are in the top 5.

Have a great afternoon everyone. Stay safe and healthy! Bob
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,099 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Good afternoon. Another hot and windy day here. Later we should have clouds and then precipitation tonight and tomorrow. I hope to get out to plant one of my planters once it is in the shade. The little birds seem to be having a good day, hopping about in the neighbor’s pine tree. Yesterday, two crows were out there, swooping down and walking the yard on the hunt for baby rabbits I believe. A couple of weeks ago, three rabbits would just stand in separate locations in my backyard for long periods of time. A friend told me they were guarding their nests. I don’t know if that is true, but they seem to be missing right now.

I picked up my ordered items from the local home improvement center and have wrestled them into the basement. Now if the handyman can get me on the schedule, I will get a fresh battery installed on my backup sump pump system.

Tomorrow is my day at the care dealership and of course, it is set to be rainy. I am not certain where I will hang out. I wonder how much work will be needed.

Jackie, wow, a cute little chick. And the hens are lovely. You take good care of them. I hope you are doing well and healing up nicely. When are you scheduled to go back? My friend’s husband has staples from his surgery and is already on the schedule for their removal (in a couple of weeks).

Anne, you have quite a show going on next door and you also have a great view of the proceedings. Oh, wouldn’t that be amazing if they do have an open house and you attend! My friend who has moved to a nursing facility will have her home on the market soon with the help of friends. They are planning on several days of open house. And they are hoping for a quick sale.

Sandy, so glad Bryanna will be cleaning your house. Someone you can trust. Wonderful. Sitting with the kids today. I hope it isn’t too warm outdoors. We are just over 80 degrees F today. Did you use your suit? I hope you had a good time.

Patsy, I do not have an eye for furniture arrangement in my opinion at least. I have relatively small rooms so there are not many options. It would be nice just once to have spacious rooms so I could play with furniture placement. That won’t be happening so I will just be glad to have my space!

Nothing else for now.

Hello Bob. Barbie, Connie and all other Sneakers.

Best wishes.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

41pzvb9qm6rr.jpeg
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    PS BOB. I like the Sneakers as well to add to your list of sneaker likers. Anne.
  • Annsie35
    edited April 2021
    Options
    PATSY - again all according to ones point of view. When the two Ms decided to move on from here they looked for a four bedroom house. They found what looked like a gorgeous home and another home they eventually bought. Nobody wanted the house they finished up buying because it smelt of curry. MJ and her mom loved the beautifully "staged' 1st choice and were thinking of putting in an offer when my son announced "you know there's something odd about the floor, it isn't level." They researched and there had been a major kitchen flood affecting the whole floor and Instead of ripping out the rotten wooden floor boards the owners had retiled the kitchen floor over the top of the original and left everything else under the carpets. The wood warped of course so they put it up for sale. The Ms bought the "curry" home and we all spent a lot of energy scrubbing out cupboards etc. They now live in a gorgeous home whilst the other homes buyer had a major expense on his hands.

So I hope any young couple, strapped for cash, walk down the street and look back at lifting roof tiles and check rotten window frames hastily painted over rather than a "staged" home which is probably gorgeous but all an illusion.

That's just me.

Meanwhile we are in for a rainy day I think. There's still an awful lot to cart away so let's hope it holds off before tomorrow.
    Annsie.

• Annsie35
    Options
    More importantly the news from India becomes more distressing daily. Thank God the governments of the world are rallying to help the poor souls with equipment and vaccines. Heartbreaking.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hooray, our first rain shower this morning in weeks so I don’t have to struggle to water the garden plants. Still overcast and rather cold but the sunshine should return tomorrow.
    The granite lintels are all in now so Dave and Joe left early to return the heavy lifting machinery so I don’t get charged another day. George has been groomed and is now wearing his summer short back and sides on the coldest day in weeks, poor boy!
    A nurse at my GP Practice removed dressings so immediate relief from itching but re-covered the 6” incision on my arm with advice to keep it covered until Saturday. I didn’t use my sling when there and wasn’t asked where it was and I also didn’t mention how I used kitchen scissors to cut off the compression stockings so got away with that too!
    Little chick is still with us, light as a feather and so sweet so I do hope it survives. As mums are named Misty and Mizzle Louise suggested Storm for chick and of course now it’s got a name it will have to stay!
    wzvsncwyoabc.jpeg

I’d quite like living in a curry scented home. Every time I open up my spice cabinet I put my nose in and friends laugh at me for all the meals I create that have more than a hint of curry. Certainly in England house hunters are switched on to the sellers‘ tricks as we have so many tv programmes showing how to stage or how to look beyond. Amazing Harry is even removing his logs but if everything is going into storage you have to feel for any new neighbours when he settles and carts it all to his new home.

Lin, dissolvable stitches thank goodness so hopefully I don’t have to return to the consultant for a few weeks unless the biopsy shows bad news. I remember those staples after my hip replacements... not pleasant! A funny teapot with attitude again. One to create a smile every time a cuppa is made.

Battery horribly low so best post before I lose my post.
    Jackie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,936 Member
    Options
    :) Among the house staging tricks suggested by our realtor was to bake chocolate chip cookies before a showing or simmer cinnamon or chocolate on the stove.

:)Bob, you are a very thoughtful husband about gift giving. My husband has learned that the best gift he can give me for an occasion is nothing. Instead, he cheers me on when I decide to buy something for myself.

:) I talked to the owners of the house in my neighborhood where they just built the tall "hostile fence". i said that I noticed their new beautiful fence and wondered what their plans were for the yard. He said that the fence was so the dog would have a place to run around so they wouldn't have to walk him. The yard is covered with a small concrete patio and the rest is river rock. It doesn't seem like a friendly yard for a dog, but I didn't say so.

<3 Barbie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,052 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) I did end up putting on my suit and hope I didn't scar anyone who might have seen me. :p The kids had fun squirting me with water from their water toys and I got even and did the same to them. Lisa told me I didn't have to stay so I left to do a couple of errands for my son's visit. Picking up groceries today and doing a couple of loads of wash since my usual Friday wash day will be busy with company. Laurie wants to go to a fabric store in the city so I told her I would drive her and my son will visit his dad. I will cook 4 out 6 days but the other days we won't be home. We may end up with take out but either way I am prepared.

Barbie, I agree river rock seems to rough for a dog's yard. We had pea gravel for our dog's potty spot and concrete in the rest of the yard (Babe was in concrete) and I always wanted to extend the back fence for them to have grass to run on (Babe did not) but I did let Daisy out in back to run free. Sometimes she came back when called but other times I had to get her where she usually went to a neighbors house. I never let her out by herself beyond the fence but she sure loved running. Fun memories.

Jackie, how cute is Storm? I hope she makes it also. In all honesty, I hate the smell of curry, just me I guess but when I was in Real Estate it was overpowering.
    I think the first condo I rented here was the smell of curry, it took me forever to get rid of it. I did suggest to people what Barbie was told, to bake something before an open house to make the house inviting. BTW, hated Real Estate, interest rates were at 18% so impossible to sell houses. More memories.

Annsie, when buying a house the Realtor should also always suggest the buyer to have a house inspection for the reasons you mentioned. It is worth the few hundred dollars to make sure everything is in working condition and sound. Saves a lot of hassle and problems for both parties. I am glad your son noticed the floors, good eye!!!

Lin, yes it was in the high 80's yesterday so the water felt good. Today I have the heat on, go figure. It will be beautiful for the weekend which will be great when we visit the kiddos on Sunday so we can be outside. I did not know crows ate little rabbits and that breaks my heart. I understand the circle of life but hard to visualize some things.

Bob, you are correct, Wild Fire is a steak house and one of my favorites. They are pricey but I am worth it. lol I actually don't know my plans for Mother's Day yet, but I am sure I will be with Rob, Lisa and the kids. Whatever I do, I know the other kids will acknowledge my day and make me happy.

Patsy, I kind of agree with you as far as men and decorating. I am sure there are some men who are better than women but I think we can visualize furniture in an empty room much better. I knew exactly how I was arranging my furniture before moving in here and my landlord was so impressed.

Have a good day everyone and please keep staying safe, things are getting better.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,099 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Good afternoon.

Finally, the car has been serviced. Inspected head to toe and only one issue in addition to the normal service. I was happy for that. A number of hours in the waiting room but there were few people there and people did not sit next to each other. Everyone kept their mask on. All the fun stuff has been removed. Newspapers, magazines, coffee and beverages, snack machine emptied, nothing to be signed. What a difference from 2019.

I got home to several unhappy messages from the lawn service. They were to come out and give me some estimates on mole treatments etc. SOME DAY. Unfortunately they chose this morning did not call my mobile phone and I wasn’t home anyway which is where they left several messages. So now I have to call them and expect some flack from the guy who was out here. I am a wimp.

Sandy, I wandered over the car lot until it started to rain. Cold breeze today! Anyway, loads of new C-RVs, some new Pilots including the new Honda Pilot Black edition with lots of extras. The sticker price just about knocked me over! Had to ask if they had a new H-RV in stock. A guy waved me in the other direction from my original search. They had one white vehicle. So I got an up close view of what your car must look like Sandy. Glad you had fun yesterday. All best wishes for the rest of your busy week.

Jackie, ah, what a little darling. Thanks for the close up picture. Best wishes for tiny Storm. And so happy to hear you have dissolvable stitches. I hope you are all charged up now. Seems phone (and iPad) batteries don’t last that long. Or maybe I use them too much?

Anne, keep on watching the next door show. I think that is the most interesting thing happening right now.

Barbie, a nice cinnamon smell would be attractive to me if I was looking at a house. I think, just my personal opinion, one would need to be careful of scents. People all have their own preferences as well as things they avoid. A have a friend who does not like chocolate at all. She would probably not like a chocolate chip cookie smell in a house. I hope you are having good spring weather.

Patsy, hello to you. I may have missed your post.

And greetings to Bob and Connie.

Time to make that dreaded phone call.

Be safe.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

No comment on this teapot.

psud9j9mcnxi.jpeg

• NikonPal
    Options
    Happy Wednesday to all… Busy morning and after gym we took another walk at the mall. Today it was back to reg hours and open til 9pm. We never go that late…also any “trouble” normally happens late evening. It was a “little” busy but nothing compared to the norm. It was nice to see the carousel operating.
    I had planned an indoor meal, but since it was close to 70 degrees, we decided to grill out before the anticipated afternoon rain (100% chance). Loved looking at our backyard tree that was in bloom (red), 2 yrs ago it looked like it was going to die.

f8zpt8zrqm57.jpg

ifbj7epq1yuc.jpg

Lin – Isn’t it fun watching birds “have a good day.” Love putting food out and admiring Cardinals, Blue Jays, Robins, sparrows etc. We had Robins build a nest right over our front doorway a couple years ago. A fresh battery on your backup sump pump system is very smart. In our old home, the sump pump failed while we were out of town…enough said and tons of damage.

Anne – you have been added to the sneakers list! LOL You’re so correct re: India… so much suffering.

Jackie – Glad the dressings have been removed for some itching relief. Too funny about the sling and compression stockings can be a killer. Little chick is so sweet and I hope it survives, as well. Your comment about a curry scent and house hunters reminds me of all the open houses I have been to… Must say I was always skeptical when a realtor had cookies baking or scented candles lit.

Barbie – Smart husband! Neither Jean nor I are big spenders, but I always encourage her to buy when she wants something. She is a great bargain hunter and can stretch those dollars better for herself than I could buying something for her that wasn’t a sale.

Sandy – Love your style “I am worth it.” I think you are right about the kids acknowledging “your day” and making you happy. I so regret that both my parents had passed before I met Jean…they would have loved her. Heck – I miss my x-mother-in-law, we were VERY close and loved each other. She came to the church for our wedding. When she met Jean, she took me aside and said “Bob, you did good!”

Looks like the rain will hit soon….time for a cup of coffee. Have a great afternoon! Bob :)
  • Annsie35
    edited April 2021
    Options
    JACKIE, I can't think of a better place for little chick Stormy to be hatched! Two loving hen moms and a human mom to keep her/him in corn. Our chickens lived to be nine years old because we could never get rid of them just because they stopped laying eggs. They had become pets.

SANDY, you are so right! It's years since I sold two houses in the U.K. and in all honesty I forgot all about Home Inspectors. Well that's a relief, I can now shut up and relax! Alls quiet here. I think someone hurt his back hauling tree trunks.
    Anne
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Lovely sunny but slightly cool day. Katie has had a couple of good ball games and is now making her semi-hourly check on the growth of dandelions etc.

I have to say, I have a great love of houses. We have bought several through out the years. We have refurbished older houses, built a mountain cabin/lodge, upgraded a rural mid-century home. All wonderful experiences. Now a weird confession....I believe houses have a spirit. Some have unhappy experiences that have seeped into the walls. A major refurbishing is needed to extricate the bad juju. As a sad example, there was a house here in our town that was owned by a child molester. The guy was sent to prison but no one would buy that really nice house. The city bought the house and tore it down. True story! But I love houses and while hunting for a house when we changed jobs, I really liked seeing a small piece of a family through their home. The only scent that drives me away is the scent of cigarette smoke. Eeeeeeeeck! I run away with my hair on fire!

We are delaying Mother’s Day a week because our son Damon will be able to come for the weekend. It has been a full year and a half since we have seen him in person. We talk on the phone Wednesdays and sundays. He checks on us regularly. I have seen our daughter in person (behind a mask) six months ago. Holy moly! This pandemic has put me in jail. Thank goodness for my sweet old John. I talk his ear off, I am sure.

Jackie: that little chick is adorable.
    Patsy☘️
  • Annsie35
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Today is D day and in more ways than one. Three months ago I started a diet and fitness campaign to lose 10 lb. I don't think I've quite managed that. I'll find out tomorrow when its weigh in day on the pound a week section, but I think I'll be close enough to be pleased.

Secondly it's "Up for Sale" day. That of course means the start of an interesting time for The Bean who will bark at all the crowds viewing, I think H hurt his back carrying all those huge logs because I saw him holding it and although a lot still to go, no more activity yesterday at least when I sat down on the sofa in the afternoon.

I couldn't agree more with your comments about houses and the vibes they give out PATSY. We bought a beautiful bungalow in Quebec and found out later two divorces occurred there. Mine was the unexpected third. I swore at the time it was a bad luck house and me and the boys left very quickly for rented property close by. I often wonder if the people who bought it suffered the same fate!

So new beginnings all round today for me and the folks next door. I wish them all the luck and happiness in the world as they embark on their new retirement adventure.

Breakfast time for us two "girls",
    Annsie and Jilly Bean.

PS, oh I meant to mention JACKIE I liked the scent of curry in the house that the Ms bought. MJ didn't, hence much scrubbing of kitchen cupboards. They actually ended up tearing the original kitchen out and installing a posh wooden one but I don't know the faint smell of curry gave the original kitchen a warm cozy feeling.
  • pinkperil
    edited April 2021
    Options
    A very cold day, more like Winter, which was a good incentive to head for the grocery store early and stock up on fresh goodies. Before I was even in my car George had slipped out the cat flap into my garden so of course was shivering by the time I returned home. He wore his coat on our walk although refused to move until I removed the elastic pieces that go round his back legs then set off at a rate of knots round the block with Betty and me in hot pursuit.
    George is obsessed with Storm but the 2 mums are hissing and fluffing up to twice their normal size to scare him away from the fencing!
    The builders are finally rebuilding so every few hours I see improvements and last night I ordered a new loo to be set in the old airing cupboard.
    When I was viewing cottages in the area before buying this place the estate agent took me to one that had the most awful atmosphere that I felt before I even crossed the threshold, so much so I refused to take a proper look around. It was empty and rather gloomy although probably had great potential but something evil lurked in the shadows so I was back outside in minutes. It was called Pixie Holt but interestingly the times I’ve been back to that village I’ve never managed to find it and even did a google search once but it doesn’t seem to exist anymore! 👻

I have a plan in my head for Jilly Anne which is any time you don’t like the look of a prospective buyer next door send the Bean out to bark loudly at them. It might be just enough to put them off! Joking apart, I do hope you get some nice neighbours that appreciate an older property as well as lilac. Of course they will love you and Jilly as neighbours. I do understand that curry smells would not be acceptable to a Mediterranean girl but many years ago my brother John had a beautiful girlfriend from Sri Lanka who created amazing dishes from her home country and showed me which aromatic spices to use that didn’t require heat. Unfortunately he messed up and lost her as I would have loved her to have become my sister in law.

Sandy, I love your photo with Daisy hanging out of the car door. She looks adorable and so happy. I remember such high interest rates here too around 1990, just a couple of years after I bought this cottage through increasing my mortgage. Lived on beans on toast for quite some time!!

Ooh Lin, that teapot looks to me like a chocolate blancmange and therefore edible! Good news on your service but if I was you I wouldn’t feel too guilty about missing someone who didn’t bother to phone ahead. Don’t take the flack!

• pinkperil
    Options
    Oops, hit the wrong button!,

Will pop back later but meanwhile hello to everyone I missed. I’ve just enjoyed a bland cheese sandwich on wholemeal bread for lunch so Bob’s barbecue food is tormenting me!

Jackie
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Good morning gang -

I was just catching up on reading posts, but heading out in a couple minutes… more later…

Jackie – I did catch your comment: “I’ve just enjoyed a bland cheese sandwich on whole-meal bread for lunch so Bob’s barbecue food is tormenting me!”
    Well today I needed a change and already cooked it….just need to reheat at lunch time. Not sure if you like Mexican style cooking – but I can’t wait for lunch. LOL

“One-Pan Mexican” lunch (261 cal.) Enchilada Sauce, Riced Cauliflower, Chicken Breast, Skinless, Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, Shredded taco cheese, mixed bell peppers, Fresh cilantro

tvu41bpu1j93.jpg

Have a great morning everyone! Bob
  • Annsie35
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Well the signs up, but still a way to go clearing out.

I did post a picture of my side, but it wasn't a good idea following BOBs lovely meal.
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. After a long Wednesday and early Thursday morning filled with heavy rains, warnings of tornado activity, and the prospect of gusty wind, the day is overcast but the rain has stopped.

Our backyard is a whirlwind of colorful birds. The Orioles has shown up - they will make about a two week visit before continuing to migrate north. They are sharing the nectar feeder with the hummingbirds. Rose-breasted Grosbeak pairs, Indigo Buntings, Cardinals, House Finches, Blue Jays, Red-winged Blackbirds, a variety of Summer Finches, wrens, sparrows, Tit-mouse, and Fly Catchers are keeping me busy stocking the bird feeders.

vsgbqfl8k93c.jpg

9whpij5793nx.jpg

It is fun to read your observations of the happenings in your neighborhoods. We don't have one. Our home was the only one in this development (that never developed) for twelve years. Two years ago a young couple built a lovely country ranch two three-acre lots south of us but we rarely see them. My husband does seem to enjoy reporting on whether their truck is in the driveway or not as he checks several times a day.

I spent the day on Tuesday riding along with a friend to a demonstration on the grounds of the Missouri State Capitol urging expansion of health care benefits in Missouri. It was a lovely day and she and I talked non-stop on the long drive - a rare experience for me.

Bob - I am guessing from the meal pictures you are sharing that you are on a Keto food plan. I see lots of veggies and proteins but no carbs. I try to cook along those lines to help my husband keep his blood sugar under control but he cheats and I get very frustrated.

And thank you all for the lovely comments on my little Collie girl, Sadie. She isn't always delightful. Last Monday morning I awoke to find the front half of a rabbit on the floor in my bedroom. She apparently caught it in her dog pen. The back half of the poor thing was in our lower-level recreation room. I couldn't scold her since she was just doing what dogs do by instinct. It could have been worse. She could have brought it up into the bed with me. I gathered the pieces and we held a proper burial.

I'll leave you with that lovely picture in your minds and get on with the day.

Connie.
    Pomona, MO

• Annsie35
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Asking price $1,090,000.00 !!!!!!!! A million dollars and ninety thousand.