Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited December 2018
    Honestly Sandy, for the past 4 years George has thrived on what I cook for him which is rice, minced lamb, chicken and carrots, a recipe I took off packs of very expensive dog food. It's never upset him before so don't in retrospect think it's that. In the past I've been careful about treats for him which he only gets as a training tool generally and buy the low fat type but presents have been received that I've felt obliged to give him and Betty, until today that is because like Anne I have to dispose of most and just smile sweetly!! He doesn't get food from my plate because I can't cope with a begging dog!!
    Sometimes there's good reason for not feeling right about a journey so I hope you did stay home. Earlier in the year I had a sense of foreboding about a planned journey to visit a friend, so much so that I put it off then when the time came for me to go a week or so later I was absolutely fine but of course I'll never know if I did miss a disaster!

Anne, shop bought pizza is one of the worst culprits for food poisoning in the UK and recently some testing discovered certain brand names didn't have the meat shown on the pack but something cheap and nasty instead! Can't beat homemade pizza so perhaps you could make some for Michael for him to freeze. Forget that.... more work for you I know!!

Since starting this post I've dealt with my elderly cat Hebe bringing up her dinner in the corner of the dining room that she eat too quickly 10 minutes earlier and just now Betty peeing on the spare bedroom floor 15 minutes after I put her out to do one. I'm at the end of my tether and will now go and pour myself a glass of wine!! :'(:'(

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Please forgive my rude remarks, I know better. Both of you know your pets better than I. I really have to learn to mind my own business. I did not go to the meeting, the wind picked up and I have decided to take my tree down instead.

Embarrassed,
    Sandy
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello dear ones! Here I am. I will say that while our Christmas was wonderful in all ways....I was completely exhausted as our son and his doggies drove off to Portland. I woke up with one of my “lovely” eye conditions. I occasionally get a blocked tear duct. Very unattractive but not painful. The doc showed me what to do and it helps. Wash my eye, warm compresses, eye drops and a greasy eye salve for night.

Oh Christmas was fun, chaotic, noisy and lots of food, laughs and family and wine. Late night chats over glasses of champagne and good California wine. We lucked out with our sweet fur babies. No turkey. They were so busy running in and out of the deck doors, they took long naps while we ate and talked and told all manner of naughty tales. Our son kept us entertained with tales of his sailing adventures. He had constant phone and text messages from his sailing pals and girl friend. Our son, Damon, has two very old doggies like George. The oldest named Runty is the alpha and can be quite bossy. Katie just leaps around everyone with her big yellow ball and her new Christmas bear that has clothes. She adores Damon, like Jilly and loves Michael. Thank goodness Christmas only comes once a year! I don’t think I could survive it if it come more often.

No New Years parties for me, I look too scary with my red swollen eye. But I will watch movies and John will be watching football. Katie will be everywhere. I will still be vacuuming dog hair, I am sure.
    Patsy
  • pinkperil
    Sandy, please don't feel embarrassed because I didn't take your post as being rude and my reply was only to explain what had been going on with George. I love that you care so since I consider all Sneakers best friends you can make any comment you feel necessary. ;)

Patsy, I'm so pleased you and John had a great Christmas with your son and his dogs. Goodness doesn't Katie look tall and lanky against your son's dog. She's usually lying on the floor chilling in your photos! I too am looking forward to a quiet New Year, in fact will probably be tucked up in bed before midnight.
    The fire is glowing, I enjoyed a small glass of wine with dinner and now feel ready to snooze!
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    edited December 2018
    SANDY, this is a Support group, and honestly nobody gets offended !! We just welcome all the advice we can get ! That you care shows you have a loving nature for us and our wee ones. SANDY don't you dare go withholding advice.

Wee ones. Take that back! Katie - WEE ! PATSY! Katie's legs are longer than Jilly, her feet are bigger than Jilly. Are you sure you've got a doggie there, just kidding. She's a lovely girl. As for your poor eye try to think of it as a new year decoration! It will be gone by New Year's Eve, you see!

Meanwhile back at the ranch I got a phone call from "our" Sandy, Mikes EX girlfriend after the death of little Cinders. We talked for three hours. She thought I didn't like her! moi ! I can't think of anyone I really don't like so not sure where that came from. Anyway after telling me they are purely friends now, she's decided to come over with Mike for grocery shop day. That should be interesting, but provided Jill's recovered she will distract us all from any embarrassing silences. Pray girls that Jilly will be recovered in more ways than one!

Interesting day so far, ex girl friends phoning, friends with blocked tear duct, sick pooping dogs, throwing up cats, peeing indoor pups, and loving owners into bottles - of Sherry in my case, and it's only 4 o'clock.
    What happened to tranquil old age and snoozing in ones rocking chair!
    Annie.
    PS. Jilly is barking at Harry next door. Maybe she's on the mend!
  • Gawanne35
    Just phoned Mark and Hobbes who they are looking after has eaten loads of turkey and he's fine so maybe it's not turkey that's causing Jilly's upset tum.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    So much lovely news from dear friends; where to start?
    SANDY, I can't blame you for not wanting to leave those gorgeous babies! Perhaps after they have grown a bit and become busy with their own lives? If that is Bryanna, what a beauty! I'm remembering her back to when she was taking her ballet lessons; quite young! On the other hand, I think THEY are all very lucky to have you as their "matriarch", and such a loving one!
    ANNE, I could not add another thing to SANDY's post to you (Yes and I love the hair and sweater, too) except, who painted that great picture on the wall behind your turkey/ham table? I love it, and suspect one of you painted it!
    JACKIE, you photo is a zen moment, so serene and magnificent at the same time! With those 2 four-legged subjects perfectly posed and placed! You truly make your life magical!
    JERI, is that both a piano and an organ side by side in the photo of your granddaughter at a keyboard? Wish I could peek in to share your enjoyment! Such a lovely family. But hope your scratchy this and sore that disappear before your second celebration! And of course, we all wish you excellent results from your test!
    LIN, so wonderful thinking of you relaxed and allowing yourself to revel in it! Was that black ice you slipped on? I imagine your Tai Chi moves save you from being badly hurt! I must get down to our classes as I know they will relieve some of my arthritic pains, or are certainly worth the try!
    PATSY! PATSY? Are you hiding somewhere? Miss you but it's really O.K. to take a day off. Hoping your Christmas was everything you wanted!
    Trying to decide whether to try remaining awake for New Year's Eve. I have time, right?
    <3 Buzz
    ......................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!...............................
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,363 Member
    Just popping in. Went to a movie with my friend today. Movies are popular over Christmas holidays. Many movies sold out and the one we wanted to see did not have two seats side by side. So we compromised. Mary Queen of Scots. Much filming in Scotland so fantastic scenery, wonderful costumes, make up and wigs of course. Storyline was well known and no surprises there.

Tai Chi in the morning. We had buckets of rain today but the temps will be falling leaving us with probable ice in the morning. Will wait and see. Thunder a while ago and the power went off briefly. Had trouble getting my TV and my desk light to work again.

Unhappy news as well. My friend suffering with a cancerous brain tumor died. Just found out this morning. Am trying to decide if I will go to any of the scheduled remembrances. I am leaning to no. We will see.

Patsy, lovely celebration and there is one big happy doggy!!! Loved that photo. I hope your eye gets back to normal very soon.

Buzz, great to hear from you. And finally no computer glitches. Yeah! Yes, it was probably a very small patch of black ice. And I do believe Tai Chi has helped my balance. Can’t hurt right?

Sandy, is the tree down now?

Anne, good luck tomorrow. Odd phone call but you have had several of those lately. Hummmmm.

Hugs all.

Lin
  • Gawanne35
    BUZZ although my grandson is a wonderful painter the painting in Mark and Mary Jos dining room is by a Portuguese artist. I can't remember his name but I love it as well. Everything is slightly off kilter and he incorporates things into the painting and paints over. For example the boat on the water is tethered by a real rope which is difficult to see in a small photo and the tree leaves are built up. I think he's a local artist. It's a very large piece and Mary Jo wouldn't tell me what it cost. Out of my range methinks.
    Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    Trying to bring back a post that just disappeared but it's hopeless. Remarked on how high Katie is and how much I was drawn to Mary Jo's and Mark's painting! About to get to sleep when I realized I owe 2 cards, so I had to make them first, and now I'm finished and ready to get to bed! Sweet dreams, everybody!
    <3 Buzz
    ......................Always Believe Something Wonderful Is About To Happen!...............................

• Gawanne35
    Up LATE - so up and running BUT just wanted to tell JACKIE that Jilly appears to be on the mend and I'm wondering if it isn't the food at all but too much excitement, re Christmas. When she has these bouts I'm beginning to realize they do seem to coincide with celebrations after our very quiet normal life. Possibility.SANDY?
    Bye for now,
    Annie.
  • linder4866
    edited December 2018
    Hi - I left early for my Tai Chi class as we had a bit of snow and some slick roads. As I drove up here the freezing drizzle started and now travel is not recommended I am here though and here I will stay for a while. Class may be cancelled.

Oops.
  • Gawanne35
    edited December 2018
    It's actually 50 F here right now. Balmy, BUT watch out Sunday when we take a nose dive again. We get Sandy and Lins weather drifting over. Be safe LIN today!
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,272 Member
    Happy Friday! :) Thank you Anne and Jackie for understanding my motives. I know I appreciate all of your advice, so you will continue to read my annoying post.

I have all my Christmas decorations put away including the balcony. House feels cleaner and bigger once again. Bryanna came and put up my blue lights around my fireplace and I love them, what do you think?
    7o7fdn8nu548.jpg
    Of course I have another light on but was just showing the effect.

My new coffee table is arriving today so I will check it before putting on the legs. I might run to the dollar tree for some thank you cards but no other plans. Since cooking for myself since Tuesday I have been able to lose a little weight, hopefully it keeps up and I can get back to my goal.

Anne, yes I agree, stress can upset their tummies as well just like in humans. I am glad Jilly is feeling better and ready to meet "Sandy". Great weather for you, ours is wet and dreary.

Lin, stay put but when you do drive back home please be extra careful. I hate snow and ice and especially black ice. So far we have been lucky with no snow although I wouldn't mind seeing some as long as I don't have anywhere to go.

Buzz, yes that is Bryanna who will be 24 in February. Not sure where the time goes but it goes much too fast.

Patsy, Katie is a beauty, she looks as big as Daisy who weighs over a hundred pounds.
    fdx9xfd35b6n.jpg

Have a great day!!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Hello again. We did have classesthis morning. Teeny, tiny classes as not many people ventured out. I had the opportunity (right) to lead both double fan and single fan forms this morning as our instructor was late due to road problems and then she was working with two people who are new to fan. All in all, it was a wonderful time with no more than 5 people in each of the classes. I stayed after and sipped coffee and talked to a friend for an hour. By then the roads were in pretty good condition with the exception of the side streets which were not treated. Happy to be home. Staying here now, maybe until Sunday. :)

Sandy, I like the blue lights around your fireplace. But blue can never be wrong for me! Hello Daisy!!!

Anne, Happy grocery shopping (and visiting).

Be safe.

Hugs.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    Hello sneakers. When I let the dogs into the garden late last night the stars were twinkling bright in the clear sky but by 7 this morning we had bleak grey clouds that still haven't lifted as it's got dark. Only 2 trips through the catflap for George, the first about 6am and second time I found him sitting outside waiting to be let in when I got up! A slow improvement for him but frustratingly Betty licked something disgusting before bringing up breakfast in the car on the way home from our walk. Anyway I've thrown out all the treats that were in the cupboard and bought a few of the brand George always enjoyed without problems when I first adopted him.

Anne you are far more generous than me because I would never be able to forgive someone whose irresponsible decision caused the death of one of my pets but understand if Michael wants her back in his life you have to be gracious, if that's the right word! I hope today's shopping trip is passing without incident.

Sandy that blue light is gorgeous and warming. Also love Daisy's photo. She's such a cutie! Hoping the new coffee table arrives damage free.

Lin, sounds like a brilliant day for you at Tai chi but I'm glad to read you are now home safe.

A lazy day for me because this afternoon I came upon the movie Brideshead Revisited on tv and not realising how long it was became engrossed until realising it was becoming dark outside and I needed to light the fire and cook a batch of George's food. That's done and once it's cool I'll feed the pooches. The last of pigs in blankets with a jacket potato and beans for my supper then hopefully all the naughty food will be gone and I can get back to a healthier diet. Haven't dared go near the scales but will Monday.
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Mmm, I'm still into Christmas cake and mincepies! Jilly Bean full of beans again and is now sleeping after four long walks and a large lunch of her chicken and yam. My eyes are drooping after 2 bad nights. Mikes friend Sandy didn't show, she's a late riser apparently and I'm an early bird and ready to go, go, go, early. The Organic Garage was a real eye opener. Everything had been reorganized during the hols. Shelving, floor arrangement etc. and I really like the new look. Produce super fresh.
    It will be difficult JACKIE but I try really hard not to interfere in either sons lives.
    Super photo of the gorgeous Daisy.
    Off for a nap,
    Anne.
  • Gawanne35
    edited December 2018
    One thing I wonder about concerning Mr Ts wall. If it gets built won't people simply tunnel under it, or dynamite a hole in remote areas that are unmanned?
  • delraybuzz
    My post disappeared again! I was remarking about ANNE's respect (calling him Mr. T). I wondered if my son had returned from Jerusalem yet when old OrangeTop stopped by his AF Base in Germany! My hands and legs are burning tonight and I keep falling asleep, so I apologize and say goodnight, dear people!
    AH! Love SANDY's blue sexy fireplace and Daisy looks fab!
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Good morning. Cold today and I am happy to be staying indoors. Doing laundry, there’s a stack of bills to review and pay, a birthday card to make, a 2019 calendar to finish putting together, must start some winter cards, and am thinking of Chinese New Years celebration coming up in Feb. Need to shred more documents as well.

Oh my, what fun yes?

Jackie, Brideshead Revisited was a miniseries wasn’t it?

Anne, I am secretly pleased the lady did not show up. I would have been so anxious to have her around. Odd that she said she was coming and then suddenly it was too early. Meanwhile, yes, a reorganized store!

Must check the dryer.

Hugs my friends.

Lin