Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,204 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does seem it would be good to have a mobile phone as long as you have a place to carry it. In your hand is not a great option, for me at least.

I have an iPhone.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    My mobile is Samsung Galaxy A5 and about 3 years old. It terrified me at first but it didn't take long to work out and get used to. I pay £6 monthly for unlimited phone calls, text messages and plenty of internet usage. I dont phone out on my landline anymore and always carry my mobile in a pocket as a security blanket even around the cottage!

Whoopsee, still jigging!! 🙃😲😩
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) Wow I had to look at my phone to see what day it is. I must be losing it.
    Another 90 degree day so probably the only thing I will do outside is go see Joe later in his driveway. He in fact just called me to tell me the pool is opening July 10. I think there will be lots of conditions, not even sure if they will have chairs. I am not in a hurry for the pool but Joe loves to go and sit with the lifeguard and talk. Not sure if that will happen this year.

I have an IPhone xR and I love it. I am a tech person though and if you just want a simple phone I would recommend the jitterbug or consumer cellular. They even have phones that text and take pictures. Babe has a jitterbug but not the smart phone, I think he pays about $20 a month.

I wasted a lot of time trying to log into Disney+ this morning. My son is letting me use his account and I had a hard time getting the correct password logged. I finally did it and now I can watch Hamilton on Friday and other wonderful movies from Disney.

Now it is noon and I haven't had breakfast so I guess it will be brunch. Have a wonderful day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Thanks for input. IpadSA costs $25 here or $35 unlimited. That's all I've found so far. Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    1331022edglvmaoe6.gif
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    WOW – leave for a few days and suddenly there are a lot of posts to catch up on….

Lin – I must say that is a very impressive teapot collection…so unique. The only teapot joke I know is: “What language do teapots speak? Teabrew.” I think it’s sad when a person has no interests at all. I have a relative somewhat like that… she doesn’t enjoy reading, cooking, gardening, exercising, going out to dinner / movies, collecting anything, or a 100 other things… Again – great collection!

Anne – That bread looks awesome! I actually haven’t had bread since last year…but “homemade” bread is always tempting. In town here there is only one bread that is tempting and it’s a small, old world bakery multi-generational family serving the best Italian bread for over 125 years old! They opened in 1895, but I wasn’t there. LOL On Christmas Eve morning, a line of customers stretches around the block.

As a kid (1 of 7) we’d stop after church and get some for Sunday family dinner. We have actually made it a tradition with one of the grandchildren… we buy their dough etc (that is out of this world) every time she has a sleep over and “she” (age 10) makes pizza etc – she even has her own roller for baking. Great old/new memories.

Sandy – Hope you got your cable problems resolved. They can be a pain. Often, we do some price comparisons because it can get expensive… but it’s a package of TV/Phone/ High speed and doesn’t generally mean much savings. I can see it all changing in the near future. I hate being forced to buy channels we don’t use. Had to subscribe to ACORN TV for a few programs we love – like Doc Martin.

[ Just read your later post – glad you are all set]

Jackie/Lin – Our daughter, son-in-law & three grandchildren all love doing puzzles. They are darn good at it… thinking once winter hits, I will buy one to give it a go!

Glad the phone is still going well. We have the Galaxy S9… it’s a pretty good phone and I must say I do 75% of everything on it from banking, texting, Twitter, FB, photos / video, calendar appts etc. I could live without our landline – but my wife’s BFF of 50 yrs moved to Va in recent years and others she talks with. She also talks to her uncle every day for about an hour at night (he is turning 89 this year – very active and always building something – I really like him and he is quick-witted). I won’t upgrade phone for a while unless problems of some new features.

As for Jean and myself – we have been very busy (I’ll skip details as this is getting long) and also taking lots of rides (putting some mileage on our new cars we got last month). My wife’s uncle had a small get together last week. We wore masks when not social distancing…others didn’t. We don’t wear them out walking etc., but do for all shopping or any situation when in close proximity to others. Mostly, we do it so others are comfortable. We have always been super hygienic – you could call me Mr Sanitizer. IMHO…depends where people live, how old, health etc. (I am over 65 with heart and other issues, so I am cautious within reason).

Just finished having a cookout – so here is a pic of our fresh off the grill lemon garlic kabob, spaghetti squash and huge salad. Yum!
    4t09cdywv320.jpg

Wishing everyone a great week. Bob

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hello my dearest friends. It's not often I am able to use the computer in my room and getting int MFP is baffling without a connection! But I was determined today when all the remarks about your beautiful cards as I was putting them away had me recounting memories of my special family and missing you even more. Today my fingers seem to have a bit more strength to click keys. They have lost most feeling, but swelling is disappearing and pain way down.
    Have begun to try standing to relearn walking. Quite a siege but have come through the worst. My therapist could not believe dear JACKIE's card was a Cornwall coastline. SANDY's frequent mail is so welcome,and LIN's, plus everyone else who has dropped me a note, thank you all!
    I know we are all affected by this pandemic, and together with the crazy government news and hopeful social/racial slow changes, we will undoubtedly end up in a very new living pattern; let's hope for the best!
    I have missed most of all your news, so hope it has been good. Perhaps I can connect more often once I can get up?
    ujfduyaw8v75.png
    <3 Buzz
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Soggy day here, much to Katie’s displeasure! She hates inclimate weather of any kind...kind of like me. This has truely been odd weather. For July 1st we actually burned the wood stove! It was very chilly and wet,of course.

John did his Major supple run for the month, now comes the fun part. Where to store all this? Indeed! But the interesting news is that Costco is selling single use face masks now. Kind of spendy but good to have a few for back up. We are very close to a another lockdown. Our cases keep increasing each day. People are not staying home, not distancing, and they are getting sick, spreading virus and now we are back to square one here. I am very disappointed.

Our big zoo in Portland is still closed but there are a lot of new wonderful baby animals. Baby red panda photo is way way adorable. Awwwww

Bob: your food looks wonderful. Good food, great people equals delightful party. A recipe to use whenever possible.

Anne: almost everyone I know has a jitterbug phone. Everyone loves them. Big buttons, easy to see, not too expensive, but we do not have one.....John bought a flip phone some time ago and he hates to part with it. I personally hate our old flip phone. I see a replacement in the near future. Maybe a jitterbug.

Sandy: 90 degrees would put me standing in front of the refrigerator or the air conditioner eating popsicles and wearing unattractive shorts and going bra less under a tank top. The world is not ready for me to endure hot weather.

Jackie: if you get any news about dear Buzz please let us know how she is doing. Send our love and as always, let her know she is forever in our thoughts. As for those puzzles, I have resisted because I don’t have a good place to set up a puzzle table. Otherwise I would be pouring over tiny pieces maybe even trying to force fit them together....not a good idea.
    Patsy☘️
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Patsy Buzz posted the same time as you. Check her post above yours.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    So Happy to hear from Buzz!! We miss you and love you and hope you can post as often as you feel up to it. <3<3<3<3
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    BUZZ wonderful to read your message and so glad you are on the mend. A big YIPEE.

Jitterbug phones I have never heard of, but looking them up see they are especially designed for seniors and simple to use......which is exactly what I need! The simpler the better.

I'm dreading this coming week PATSY. EVERY day in the 30s - that's into the 90s.....so warm today I've considered cutting the bottoms off my pyjamas legs to make baggy shorts. You and I would make quite the pair if your description of yourself is correct.....which I doubt. My guess is you are the Maureen O'hara type of Irish/American gal.

Mark came over to make sure my landline is dead with his own landline phone, and yes it is. Then, eyesight being better than mine, he hauled out the huge piped built in vacuum which for once nearly frightened poor Bean to death as he hauled the pipe up the stairs from the basement. Apparently he could see cobwebs. What cobwebs? He then proceeded into every room, nozzle aimed at walls and ceiling whilst poor bean huddled close to Mom on the sofa. I am thinking of hiring him. He did a very good job as a house cleaner. Mind you I thought the place WAS clean. I couldn't see any cobwebs. Old age can be bliss!

Tomorrow both sons promise to get me sorted out as in the Bell telephone company and a mobile.

Thanks for all the Canada Day greetings. No firework displays, well there are, the CN tower will be lit up but we have to view it on the box. Masks are now mandatory for all indoor activities. I wore one yesterday for groceries and the metal bit at the top scraped the thin skin off the bridge of my nose. I am looking very patriotic with white skin and skinned red nose.

I'm wondering how to acquire a jigsaw puzzle and join JACKIE and LIN. Maybe Mary Jo can lend me one.

Tempting looking meal BOB! Mmmmmmmmm!

Hi Sandy and Barbie and Jeri,
    Hi to everybody, hope you all enjoyed Oh Canada Day as well!🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

Anne. 🙃❤️🐶❤️
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oh it is wonderful to have Buzz back❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

I am waiting for a grocery delivery which should arrive soon. Meanwhile-

1950s Italian tea set

fqa9tjoidx89.jpeg

And a puzzle update. Worked on it quite a while trying to concentrate and ignore the fireworks. Which was fine until I was asleep and they started up again at 1am.

2y4brkp3lgle.jpeg

Later dear friends. ❤️🙋🏼‍♀️❤️

Lin

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,005 Member
    Options
    :) Jake and I each have our own cell phone---Samsung Galaxy S9. We gave up our land line several years ago and have enjoyed having our own phones. When my phone rings I know it is for me, not for Jake. I use my phone to listen to audio books, music, and podcasts when I walk. I have a Kindle app on it so I always have a book to read. I can read the posts on MFP with the phone. I use it as a timer when cooking or to keep track of how long I'm riding on the exercise bike. I can attend Zoom meetings with it (turn off the video, put the phone in my pocket, and do chores or walk while listening to the meeting). I have apps to track the route of walking the dogs, check the moon phase and sunrise/sunset, convert from US to metric, check the weather forecast, and Google to find answers to all my questions. We spend a lot on phone, TV, and internet, but that is our recreation and it has made being at home easier for us. I text a lot on my phone and sometimes use it to make phone calls. I have blue tooth headphones so I can listen hands free.

:)Buzz, It's great to hear that you are making progress. Good to hear from you.

:) Only one night of fireworks so far.

:) Jake uses his phone for phone calls and to read news and other information.

<3 Barbie
    2191610q208gshr57.gif
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Wow, super information BARBIE! I have Mark coming over later and he will help cancel the landline and order me an iPad phone. I'll be glad to get rid of the landline. The wires are above ground from a box on a post in the garden behind me. Which means of course one icestorm and we are out of business. I think the tremendous thunderstorm with a tornado a bit north finished it off this time but nobody's reported it because the neighbours all have mobiles. You can do ALL that on a mobile? Again WOW.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Talking of phones, I placed mine in a top pocket of my jacket before walking this morning, one I don't often use, and didn't bother to pull the zip across. BIG mistake because as I leaned over to put dog collars and leads on before setting off, out slid my phone and smacked on to its face on a concrete paving slab. I now have a spider web running across the screen! The phone itself is still working but not sure how long I'll put up with looking through the crackled mess. A screen protector was purchased when I bought my phone but I've never bothered to fit it.... too late now! :'( I use a variety of apps, Skype, texting, the camera and Whatsapp, all things I didn't think I would ever want or need. Just shows how modern technology creeps into our lives which isn't a bad thing so long as its used carefully.

So, after all that we walked on the moors in relatively mild temperatures then chatted to another dog walker in the parking area before coming home. She has an unwell husband at home that has to be protected from Covid-19 and also has her own health issues so has been struggling emotionally over the past few months of lockdown. Not much I could say; just listen. I did manage to get her to laugh when I explained my hairdresser can't book me in until the 23rd and without the folded scarf through my hair I feel a total mess and with it look like an ageing hippy. Nothing wrong with that was her response! :D It began to rain as we talked but since I had put a load into the washing machine earlier I hung it out anyway once home then drove to town for a grocery shop. Hand gel, masks and gloves are reappearing in our shops so I bought one of each to keep me stocked up, in fact I had run out of hand gel and was using an alcohol spray that I kept in my car... not very kind to my skin! I will check with my good friend living in London to see if she needs the masks and post them on if she does.

I was gardening until about 9pm last night and was about to phone Buzz when I received a message and also saw her post so I've promised her I will call at the weekend for a proper catch up. She does appear more up-beat which is wonderful. Hello Buzz if you read this, talk to you soon! <3<3<3

Hooray, I see Ghislaine Maxwell, girlfriend of Epstein, has been arrested not before time.

Wow Lin you have moved on with your jigsaw, well done! Your noisy neighbours might have run out of fireworks by the 4th you never know! I'm guessing that tea set is made of heavy pottery rather than bone china. Quite attractive with the sort of pattern that gets dug out of the ground during excavations, so hundreds of years old and maybe Roman.

Anne, after my first cataract operation I could see cobwebs hanging from the beams and remember asking my neighbour why she had never told me. She just laughed.... probably too embarrassed!

Patsy, like John, I'm picking up spare stores for the food cupboards because I have a feeling numbers of infections will go up dramatically over the next week or so. Too many people ignoring social distancing.

A scrumptious meal Bob and I imagine it was filling too. I have begun to follow your lead and make my salads look enticing which also seems to help me control portion size... thanks! Our charity shops, when open, always have a stack of secondhand jigsaw puzzles. My current supply came from George's groomer and I'm sure she told me she had found them in a charity shop so when I finally finish them I'll take them in to be recycled once more.

Must get on with a few chores. Take care everyone. <3
    Jackie

• linder4866
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Bad news for your phone Jackie. I am so sorry. I have a clunky phone as I keep it in an Otter box. It has hit the floor a couple of times and no damage but it makes the phone heavier and more unwieldy. Good shopping my friend. Most of my groceries were delivered so once again I was thinking maybe I should have tried to order more. 😂🤣😂

Anne, I am interested in hearing what you settle on for phone and service. I hope you are able to disconnect your landline service without holding on a phone! Did you ever get a new iPad?

Barbie, glad to hear you do not have the fireworks problem. They are banned in this suburb but apparently there were more calls about fireworks in June of this year than the prior two years combined. And now we head into the holiday weekend. 😃

Groceries delivered and out away. Plants on the deck watered. Online banking finished. Finished a birthday card that needs to be mailed but our mail was delivered early so I will need to drive downtown a bit later.

Finished the puzzle. Couldn’t help myself.

egfdk7tpa7m6.jpeg

Time to finish lunch.

🙋🏼‍♀️Lin

• Gawanne35
    Options
    That's some puzzle LIN. Well done.

JACKIE, so sorry about your mobile mishap. Worth noting though for if I get one. Mark is coming over this afternoon to cancel the landline and hopefully order me a mobile.. that's if he ventures forth in this heat.

It's absolutely horribly hot here. 34c. at the moment. Jill and I only made it to the corner of the street before we headed home. Me with wet forehead and her panting. We quickly watered the potatoes, or at least I did, and we've been cowering inside ever since.

Must give up. Slow, halting letters making typing difficult.

Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello dear ones! Totally overcast and showers promised. It is unseasonably chilly again. Wrapped in a sweater as I go about. It is a fiddelly kind of day today. A couple of loads of wash (doggie towels) I need to think of something in testing for our dinner. A quick mop in the laundry room and then into the dungeon to write a few letters to non-computer friends. Yes! There are people who go about life without internet. I don’t quite understand them but they are out there.

My standard TV watching is the PBS station and last night it was that antique roadshow. I am so over stuffed with doodads, I can’t force myself to watch. I watched TV with John instead. One of his crime fighter series. Loud and full of explosions and car chases. I actually dozed off!

Lin: that puzzle looked extremely difficult. Such an interesting picture, I do love it. The museum of modern art used to put out a catalog at Christmas and there would be amazing 3D puzzles. Very expensive but they were puzzles that when completed were 3D models of well known buildings etc. I bought my Mom one and she told me it took at least 6 months to complete.

Barbie: you get good value out of your phone. I am impressed. We use ours mainly for phone calls. I use our iPad a lot. John has his own iPad and we each have our own apps. We keep our landline because our cell phone doesn’t always have great reception. Not sure why. It is also connected with our internet bundle.

Jackie: we are getting more and more cases each day. I am talking about in our small town and county. I can see the lock down coming! We are heading into some strange times. We are all pretty resourceful I can see that. I feel sure the sneakers will be okay. I know change is necessary and inevitable and all the angst that goes with it. We here in the US have begun a new revolution. It will be exciting to see where this goes. Stay tuned!

Anne: as far as spider webs....I don’t see them unless I run into them as I walk through the house. John is the one who howls about them and drags out the vacuum and attaches the wand to scoop them up. But I am the one who gets the little spider bites.

Buzz: oh baby! Look out! Our Buzz is back and she means business! We have missed you my friend. All of us are looking forward to hearing from you again.

Now to that laundry room,
    Patsy☘️
  • Gawanne35
    edited July 2020
    Options
    It appears to be a man thing pointing out spiders PATSY. Mark had a lovely time with the nozzle. It's almost like they get rid of their frustrations by going to war on spiders. Mark is quiet and laid back, but let him see a cobweb and primitive man comes to the fore.

Well, I have repairman over tomorrow afternoon to repair the land line. It doesn't mean a thing that I've been with Bell since I crossed the Atlantic 47 years ago. It means nothing that I've paid my bills on time in this house for 31 years. They will not sell me a mobile and package online. I have to go to the mall store and prove I'm me - still alive and kicking. I'm not sure if they will believe me. My passports expired and I no longer have a drivers licence. Had one once, but seeing I've never owned a car......

I'm so sorry JACKIE that you've smashed your phone, really bad luck, but seeing I'm addle headed at the best of times, maybe a good thing if I don't own one. (For SANDY if needed. Addle headed - clumsy. I'm still in a past age love.)

Anne, still hot and sticky)
    PS. 35c or 95f right now, aaaaaagh!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    It was a “get out of town and forget the pandemic” kind of day. We headed out to the village of Skaneateles (northern shores of the Skaneateles Lake)…lots of history and quaint shops. Loved walking the town and spending a few hours by the water…it is known as the cleanest of the Finger Lakes. It isn’t unusual for people to spot celebrities and some own property. Tim Green lives here, but that is a sad story – despite wealth, fame etc. he ended up with ALS and the last time I caught him on local TV…it was VERY sad.

We had a nice small lunch before heading to the Waterloo Premium Outlets (Calvin Klein, Loft Outlet, Nike, Polo Ralph Lauren, Under Armour, Nautica, GAP and many dozens) in Waterloo NY… There were a decent number of shoppers under the circumstances.

Obviously, at both locations…it was “masks required” inside establishments and 6 feet social distancing outside etc. We never saw a single issue of anyone not being considerate and social distancing was pretty easy. (I have attached a pic Jean took, as well as a pic of her going to “therapy.” )

Lin – I love the 50’s Italian tea set…and as for the puzzle – you have a lot of patience for sure. Looks great! The 1am fireworks doesn’t sound like fun at all….

Patsy / Anne / Jackie – Glad you liked the food photo… old habits die hard and I still like to create high nutrition / low carb meals that look appetizing. I never like to look at my food and think I am “dieting” etc. Actually, I am glad to be at the “maintenance” stage.

Jackie – when you said “make my salads look enticing which also seems to help me control portion size...” EXACTLY. I sort of back into my meals in a way. I know most people hate weighing food or counting calories etc., but I enjoy it. It isn’t required for IF… but it helps me with ingredients and the weird concoctions I come up with at times. Besides – most days – where am I going during the pandemic that I don’t have time? LOL.

Tomorrow – it’s some grocery shopping, walking etc – not real plans for anything exciting. TGIF to all ! Bob

o0s9prwggrum.jpg
    l81cmy2uf6zn.jpg