Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Nice photos BOB.

Just a quick nose poke in from me at the moment. It's very hot here and despite the A/C we woke up to 27C. It reached 35C yesterday and it said on the radio we have had 11 days so far of 30C with more to come. Michael wants the Bean and I to go and stay with him this coming week or have him and Mark put a smaller second unit in my bedroom window. Whatever, I have to wait for the repair telephone men. Poor things, climbing up the pole in this heat. That's at 5pm.

So, I hope you all keep cool on this side of the continent and it warms up a bit on the western side!

Anne, already hot and sticky at 7 am.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Struggling to post so taken copy and pasted in open office...... testing, testing!!!
  • pinkperil
    Options
    I love your photos and wow Bob there's nothing to you! A lovely wife behind the face coverings too! I do get the maintaining aspect because a friend has struggled all her life and although losing over 100 lbs about 4 years ago found old habits were creeping back in. I've not seen her since the beginning of lockdown when she had regained about 50 lbs but hopefully I'll find she has regained control when we do meet.

That jigsaw picture is weirdly macabre Lin. Is it a famous painting?

I bought my iphone from a seller on ebay Anne and there should be lots of offers from all sorts, even supermarkets but let Mark advise and look for you.

Patsy, I too watched the documentary series a couple of years ago where cameras spied on animals through robots designed as the creature. The polar bears were particularly amusing although that might have been a camera in an ice ball because I seem to remember they knocked it around!

Missed Sandy yesterday and hope everything is alright? <3

Yesterday afternoon I noticed someone posting on our local St Cleer Nextdoor website they were looking for a plastic compost bin. It just so happened I had emptied one into a new composting area created with posts and wiring so messaged to say it was available. The lady who wanted it arrived this morning and we managed to squeeze it into the back of her vehicle. It's apparently perfect because it has an opening at the bottom and is needed to place hay in for a pony that is suffering with Laminitis so can't be on grass. She did offer some money but I said as it's going to a good home and I like to recycle she could have it for free. It doesn't finish there because as she got into her car she told me she now needed a wooden pallet to sit the bin on and I've got one that was going to be chopped up and put on a bonfire so told her I will drag it up to the parking area and message her so she can collect. A constructive morning which is grey and a bit chilly so once the coffee is finished I'll find some indoor jobs to do.... plenty of thoses!

My weight continues to yo-yo so tomorrow will have a fasting day with just one small meal. That's the plan anyway!

Have a good Friday everyone. Tomorrow England opens up from lockdown and it will be interesting to see how people behave. Few problems in Cornwall because we all seem to appreciate we are in a good place but I'm not looking forward to our beaches being disrespected by visitors.

Jackie
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Hooray!! A box with a lightbulb in it and message you don't have permission kept popping up. Never had that before but all seems fine now.
    Jackie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,005 Member
    Options
    :)Anne, Have you tried a different phone company to get your cell phone and service?

:)Lin, That puzzle is very impressive.

:'(Jackie, what a shame about your phone screen cracking.

:) I carry my phone in a zipped pocket of my coat or in the pocket of my jeans while indoors. I carry it all the time because it has a step counter and I love getting credit for being active. I put it on the charger when I sit down for meals. I have several friends who live alone and carry their cell phones all the time knowing that if there were an emergency, they'd be able to call for help.

:'(Lin, I didn't hear the fireworks last night, but Bessie did and she left her bed and came to sleep on the floor next to my side of the bed. I put down blankets so she would be comfortable.

:) I like having the cupboards well stocked so this current situation is just another reason to make sure that I am prepared.

:) Rain is forecast today--that will be good for the plants and give me a chance to catch up on things indoors.

<3 Barbie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,204 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Sending along birthday wishes to Jeri. Have a colorful day. 🥳

mj4r8ik47lxe.jpeg

Lin
  • linder4866
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Teapot of the day.

Cauldon ceramics Brown Betty made in Stoke-on-Trent (the potteries)

bkx2b4s0z39d.jpeg

❤️❤️
  • linder4866
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Good morning, I have pulled out a pile of card making supplies and hope to finish some cards today. Lots to send out in July. Gotta keep at it.

It was very very warm this morning as I tended to my potted plants. Small pots dry out quickly. I saw my neighbors out walking their tiny dog. They walked very slowly, apparently Emmy (the dog) was more interested in sniffing than walking. They take her out for a walk multiple times a day. I worry about her tiny little feet on the hot sidewalks. Hey, I am a worrier. 😉

I called my friend with dementia and she did answer the phone. She didn’t seem to know me at first so I repeated my name several times and then she clicked on who I was. Then a conversation of over an hour ensued. It keeps my mind busy trying to jump to where ever she leaps next in a conversation. I saw some photos on Facebook that her granddaughter posted of a visit with her. She looked very bad and I was concerned. Apparently she is suffering from depression and told me she has never felt so bad. She isn’t doing anything, not even weeding her flowers, which have been her pride and joy. I send her cards but she doesn’t respond to them. She used to call me from time to time after receiving one. Sad.

Anne, good luck on getting your phone fixed up. Your sons must know some way to get you fixed up with a mobile phone. Best wishes.

Bob, wow, what a day. Loved reading your description of the day. 👍🏻❤️👍🏻 And again terrific photos. You look terrific, wait you knew that. Tall slim guy, white shirt and shoes. And adorable wife standing next to a sign that made me smile. Retail therapy used to mean lots to me. Loved wandering the stores. So happy for you.

Jackie, the jigsaw puzzle is an Edward Gorey piece. I feel like I grew up with him in some ways. His work was used in the opening animation for the PBS series “Mystery” when both Vincent Price and Diana Riggs hosted. Then a shorter version has been used by PBS for “Masterpiece Mystery”. I sent a photo to a friend of mine from the library that I puzzled with. She is ordering one! Of course she loves Halloween, bats, vampires and all sorts of frightening things. 🤣😂🤣. It is wonderful that you were able to help the lady with what she needed for her pony. Great match.

Patsy, the virus cases in our county have doubled in the past couple of weeks. Several businesses have scaled back but our public officials seem to think all is well. Right. Individual municipalities are acting on their own to change 4th of July celebrations.

Barbie, I am sorry the fireworks frightened Bessie. ☹️ I do wish it was over but there will be many sanctioned fireworks displays over the next several days along with the illegal ones. I have been wondering where I put my leftover earplugs. Had some when I mowed my lawn.

Buzz, hello❤️❤️❤️

Sandy, I seem to have missed you. Hello!

Wishes for good health and happiness.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️

• pinkperil
    Options
    m12ixjzxzg0l.jpg

Have a lovely day whatever you manage to get up to!

Hugs, Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) I guess I didn't post yesterday, not sure why but maybe because of my meeting I was planning on coming back later. Nothing exciting happened so you didn't miss anything. We are still in a heat wave so doing laundry and will probably spruce up the house.
    Not to be morbid but I am also planning on updating my wishes for my death. I have a book called last wishes that explains all I would like to be done in the event of my death. I just want things easy for my children and my oldest son is my executor of my will. I have changed churches and other things so it is time for an update.
    Tonight, thanks to my son who let me log into his Disney+ account I will be able to watch Hamilton. I saw the play in person with my daughter and loved the music. I will have a front row seat from my couch and a glass of wine, what could be better????

Jeri, hope you have a wonderful birthday. <3

Lin, your puzzle is very impressive, good job young lady. Chicago mayor has put out a travel ban for people coming here from hot spots. They are too quarantine for 14 days or they could get fined. Not sure how they will inforce that but I like the idea. I think things will get worse before they get better. Will this movie ever end???

Barbie, sorry about Bessie, Daisy hates fireworks as well as thunder. Babe used to take her in the finished basement and turn the TV up at full blast. Not sure how he is handling her now that he is with his son. Daisy won't go up and down stairs anymore so I am sure she is hiding in Babe's room.

Jackie, how nice that you were able to help a pony and with no charge. You are a very kind and generous person. I just can't lose the last three pounds I would like to lose. It gets very frustrating but I know that my nightly wine does not help.

Anne, you have amazing boys so I am sure they will find a way for you to stay cool. Might be nice to get out of your house for a sleepover at your son's. I really hate to see my electric bill with how much I have been using my A/C.

Bob, thanks for sharing your pictures, you both look amazing. I really haven't done any in person shopping except for the dollar tree one day. My granddaughter prefers to go to the stores for me when my orders are too small for the minimum price online. It is really hard to believe you were such a big man before MFP. Congratulations again!!

Patsy, maybe I am lucky in not seeing any spider webs, I would probably freak out. Bugs and mice are not my thing. I have learned my lesson in ordering things off of Facebook. I have about three disputes going on for merchandise I haven't received or was not what I ordered.

I have chatted enough and now I have to eat "brunch" again.

Have a wonderful day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    The Shows Must Go On starts in a half hour—-1pm Central time.

Teaser link from earlier this week. Celtic Tiger

https://youtu.be/_1P6zzhLnLk

I plan to watch.

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Jeri! I know you will have special times with your delightful family. I hope we can see some of Your photography soon. You are a very talented visual crafts woman. You have that eye...you can see a beautiful visual composition that others miss. Best wishes and high hopes for a very healthy and safe birthday.

Cloudy and mild today. I have had a very strange and almost funny morning. My own clumsy nature has made this a frustrating morning. So much so, I can only laugh at myself. I spilled coffee grounds all over the kitchen floor...swept that up. Banged a water glass accidentally against the sink and chipped the glass. Cleaned up spilled water, discarded glass, fished the chip of glass out of the sink drain trap and cut my finger. The load of laundry mysteriously stopped washing, Katie is barking non-stop, the package delivery was left out in the bushes instead of at the front Door as normal. Well, you get the picture. It has been one silly tiny inconvenience after another like that all morning. I have now poured a mug of coffee and sat down in my comfy chair to contemplate the essence of life. A smile and deep breaths and I will start over in a while. Maybe I overloaded the washing machine?
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    edited July 2020
    Options
    pawnbzy3gocs.jpg

Enjoy your Independence day my American friends. I deliberately avoided the fireworks for Lin and Patsy! (Katie)

<3 Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    HAPPY INDEPENDANCE DAY, AMERICAN FRIENDS
    AND
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERI YESTERDAY, which I missed being out of the picture!

What a day, a sort of PATSY day with the mishaps, although communication in my case.
    It was Mary Jo's birthday yesterday and I got off to a good start wishing her happy birthday via text. I even managed a post here. My phone of course was dead and I had the repairman coming over at 4pm. Anyway I'd just finished our Sneaker post when my internet went dead. I was back in the year 1960, no phone, no internet.

"Well" I said to Jilly, "no doubt someone will notice Anne's off the radar and will investigate". So, Bean and I had a very quiet morning, watering the potato plants in 35 degrees, phew.

At 12:30 Mike showed up, a bit white faced because some nut had nearly run into him and shoved him under a huge tanker. Mark had phoned him. "Have you heard from Mom, she's strangely quiet". Soon after that Mark also showed up. He stayed for about a hour and then took off to prepare MJs birthday meal. The repairman turned out to be a very pleasant young man who said it wasn't the box on the huge tall pole but something wrong within the house. What's new! He decided not to tear the LR wall down - relief - but instead used something called a "splitter" I think. And here I am back in business.

Meanwhile, Mikes friend Sandy got a ticket for speeding. She was furious and I must say difficult to imagine. 65 and sort of blonde, frail. I missed MJs birthday bash being hot, sweaty, and filthy but she's promised me dessert today. I think I would have preferred the wine yesterday!

I have a lot of posts to read prior to this it seems! And then I must clear off the dust revealed by the pleasant young repair man!

Hope today is good for us all,

Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello from sleep deprived Lin (Jackie, thanks for passing on fireworks!).

5pugm11pkytl.jpeg

Anne, what an epic day. Glad you are back.

Patsy, those days happen with one thing after another. Now for better days.

Back a bit later.

Lin ❤️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Another very wet day but I managed to walk the pooches to our local Quoit so that they could sniff lots of grass off lead. We came home soaked through so after a rub down both dogs are snoozing. This is where my resolve to fast today goes out the window as I’ve already enjoyed muesli with banana and yogurt so don’t see myself going the rest of the day without anything. When I’m busy I eat little without a thought but indoors pottering ain’t going to work! I’ll prepare sliced chicken breast with ginger and garlic to stir fry later with chopped veggies which should be healthy.

I love Michael Flatley’s Irish dance Lin and can remember the first time he appeared on our screens... talk about stealing the show! I hadn’t heard of Edward Gorey but then a search shows me Mystery was an American show presenting a lot of British drama. Brown Betty is definitely my sort of tea pot... what a Gal!! 🤣

Glad you’re ok Sandy. The days are probably drifting a bit for all of us at the moment so easy to lose one! 🙃

A better night’s sleep for you Anne hopefully. I struggle to sleep if the temperature hovers around 20c so feel for you.

I must disturb George and Betty now with the vacuum cleaner then consider chores for the afternoon.

Take care of yourselves everyone and especially the doggies tonight if lots of fireworks erupt.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,142 Member
    Options
    ndo0xef63wbx.jpeg
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello again. Wow, very hot outside this morning and yes, the booming explosions started again this morning before 8am. People. 😡

Meanwhile, here is a lovely tea set. Too fragile for me to use, I would break it for sure.

nq13dwqvrjty.jpeg

Looking through some dies online in anticipation of making something maybe a bit special for Christmas greetings. Yes, a sale on Christmas things because card makers are already behind if they make loads of cards. 😃

Jackie, oh gosh, soaked through, how miserable. We don’t have any rain in the forecast until Thursday I think. A heat wave. I watched the show but I guess I had no idea what would be in the show. Some good dancing, some great fiddling, but lots of disappointing dance and loads of ego. I was tired of the encores, I thought they would never end but I was determined to get to the end. 😂

Sandy, ride that eagle. 😂🤣😂

Back to cards.

Wishes for a safe and healthy day.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    It has been a glorious sunny morning and temp for the next 10 days to remain around 90 degrees F. Dropped off holiday cupcakes to daughter by 7am for the grandkids and texted to check the front stoop. Then headed to Walmart, but no disposable masks available…found at drug store and bought several. Then I was off to Wegmans for some Kabob’s to grill later.

It’s a strange July 4th… For years that has meant a huge picnic and pool party at daughter’s home with both sides of family and friends. Sadly, on Feb 17th our son-in-law’s uncle died unexpectedly. He was the life of the party and only 56 yrs old… one minute sitting down and the next a heart attack. He had been a popular teacher and hundreds paid their respects. Family flew in from out of town and there was a huge reception. All his family was together.

At the reception, we reminisced with my son-in-law’s mom. It was both sad and warmly comforting. On Feb 29th, his mom died unexpectedly it her sleep. She was only 67 yrs old. It shocked everyone. She normally helped grill at picnics and played games with all the kids.

So with or without COVID… we thought there was a strong possibility the annual event would be cancelled.
    All this had me reflecting back to the 4th of July 2013, when my brother-in-law of over 40 yrs died after a long illness with multiple medical issues. No one knew when the time would come. I was as close to him as a brother. He was 67 yrs old. Both these events reminded me of my brother that went to bed at age 61 and didn’t wake up.
    I had been out to see fireworks with Jean in the hours before he died (see photo). No one could believe the coincidence of the photo image that came out. It wasn’t intentional, but a telephone pole was in the foreground of the fireworks and says it all.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT BEING SAD… I consider it a reminder to live each day to the fullest!

OK – that wasn’t meant to be depressing… just reflective of the day.

Jackie – Thanks re: Jean etc. I REALLY AM LUCKY… she has a good heart and a sense of humor. Those are the only 2 things I cared about before I even met her. And yes, the weight will likely always be a battle – but IF has really been a blessing for over a year now and I have honestly made it a “lifestyle” change – so far so good – we’ll hope and pray.

Lin – You have a way with words. It was a great day and thanks for the compliment. I have had to buy a lot of clothes (back in 2013 waist was “60” and XXXL or XXXXL shirt, I am now “35-36”and L (no x’s LOL) and weigh what I did back in high school and 40 lbs less than my normal adult weight. I figure once the gym opens again, I can bulk up a little on muscle – although both cardiologists have me at a 50lb lift…argh. Jean laughs saying how much easier laundry was in the old days. She loves laundry and ironing – I love grocery shopping and cooking – perfect match. She doesn’t want me near the washer/dryer and the kitchen is mine. Ha ha.

Sandy – A new Dollar Tree only 2 miles down the road has Jean there often. See my note to Lin re: “big” – I think the term is “morbidly obese” LOL… I have a sister that orders online and my daughter with the 3 kids (until recently) also did online ordering…but man there was a long wait for pickup’s some times. Thanks for the congrats!

This is turning into the length of War & Peace … so I will close wishing everyone a great day of celebration, weather (hopefully) and food! Bob

1i2qa3ezgudf.jpg