Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,086 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Okay, I lost my post. Darn it.

No patience to try to replicate what I wrote and it wasn’t that interesting anyway.

Thinking of you my friends. Be safe and enjoy the weekend. We have a lovely concert annually and this year it will be broadcast on our local PBS station this evening.

Waving hello

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️

A lovely photo of sitting outdoors enjoying tea (plus a little goodie). I have no idea what it is.

kfd3vas5uxqm.jpeg
  • linder4866
    Options
    Oh and the bench in Hope Garden was unveiled today. Max looked quite nice.

4csy0k3y00cs.jpeg
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    A quick Good Morning check-in….

Power went out yesterday and not restored until around 1:30am this morning.

As it turned out at least 1 problem was the National Grid box was on our property – so at 1am we listened as the power saw cut down our bush that aesthetically adorned the front of the box for 14 years. Oh well….

We got about 1-2 hrs sleep and I’m heading for gym now, as we have Saturday commitments and tomorrow is my daughters annual July 4th cook-out.

We’ve had 2 days with lots of rain and lower than normal temps. Tomorrow should be nice.

Hope all of you are healthy and have a great holiday weekend.

I may not be able to check back until late tomorrow or Monday.

Stay safe. Bob
    j2651c8ei1ok.jpg

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday to you all. Our rain arrived yesterday evening so I was thankful I managed to cut the grass and also plant another row of peas at the allotment. They will definitely get watered in!
    This morning I did my best to dodge the heaviest downpour on our doggy walk but halfway round the block we three were getting soaked, then on the access track I met neighbour Debs driving out so we had a quick catch up as we hadn’t seen each other for over a week. Last weekend they were on the outskirts of London for a nephew’s baby’s Christening and have since been advised a guest has tested positive for COVID. Most friends at the event were of the generation that doesn’t believe in vaccinations… I’ll leave it there!

Sandy, a good lunch with Joe I hope. I’m not sure I would want to drive to one of our major airports these days so am impressed you are thinking of collecting your son!

Anne, will you get to celebrate Mary Jo’s birthday together since everything is opening up again?

How sad Bob, you and Jean have lost your bush to a chainsaw. Not the best weather for a power cut with no chance of binge watching one of your recent purchases!
    Have a great July 4th celebration 🇺🇸

Lin, that purple cake would be referred to as stodge here in England but we’d still choose it off the cake trolley and thoroughly enjoy it! Doesn’t Max look proud sitting on his own bench. He and his owner have done a great job to bring mental health issues into daily conversation and awareness.

I hope you got yourself a better night’s sleep Patsy. Like you, afternoon naps have never been for me and on the rare occasion I’ve fallen asleep accidentally I’ve felt bleary the rest of the day. Dangerous too because I usually have a mug of tea in my hand that would likely end up in my lap!

Plan for this afternoon is to undercoat an area in my bedroom that has new pipes boxed in then I’m ready to start painting my snug.

Enjoy your celebrations my American friends and stay safe.
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    Options
    Just a quick note for Jeri. Hope you stop by.

112hgiuecg03.jpeg

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    is it Jeri birthday? The same as Mary Jo? I've lost touch on this laptop but:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERI!

We've just got back from a round the block stroll and on the way I dropped off the bottle of Baileys at Harry and Joyces. I know, but now everything is all tidied up I really shall miss Harry and the chance of a good moan every so often. Contrary Anne eh. Harry came to the door and looked very surprised but pleased at the same time. Actually there was a huge clattering next door at around seven am which set the Bean off for a good bark. When I peered through the closed blinds it was to see the barbecue trundling off with a can of tools! Anyway H and J depart for greener pastures [although after all this rain. not much greener] on Tuesday 6th and so ends 31 years.

It seems we are all losing beloved bushes and hedges to power saws and diggers. How odd.

Well, I better get moving. its again an overcast sort of day.

Oh, in answer to Patsy asking if I would make cookies for the new folks. No. I think its a lovely American custom, maybe not Canadian? Ive moved 3 times in the UK and 12 times over here and no ones ever handed me cookies on arrival at the new home! However in the UK at least we always handed over a small gift to bid farewell. When I lived in Derbyshire I was given pieces of Royal Crown Derby which I still treasure. Anyway that's how Harry ended up with the Baileys.

Annsie.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    sxl17byzi8qk.jpg
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) It is going to be a beautiful weekend so I will be at the pool. My niece said that my brother is doing great, he even asked for breakfast this morning and wanted to take a shower. She gave him some baby food and told him they will bathe him when his son arrives to help. I am so grateful for his children and how they take such good care of him.
    After lunch I brought Joe to the pool to say hello to some of the people who know him. He was more than happy and told me I made his day. He really is loved by a lot of people.

I just can't seem to get to my goal weight since we have opened up but I am not going to worry about it too much as long as I am within a pound or two. life is too short. I go for my yearly wellness at the end of July as well as a mammogram so as long as I am healthy that is all that matters.

Aww Anne, that was sweet of you to do, I told you how kind you are even when you play tough. lol I am sure Harry and J appreciated your kindness and generosity. I have heard a lot of people say things about cookies for the new neighbors but like you I don't think anyone has every brought me any, at least that I can remember. And since I am not a good cook or a baker I have never brought anyone anything, again that I remember. I really hope your new neighbors are kind and friendly just to make you smile.

Jackie, our big airport is not too far from my house and is easy to get there so I really don't mind driving and picking people up. I however take an Uber or a Lyft when I go as I don't like to bother people. I have been checking my temp everyday since my brother's and I feel good so I am hoping I am out of the woods. The next time I will see him is on his 88th birthday on 8/8. I will not forget my mask that day.

Bob, sorry about your power and your bush. The weather is so tricky lately, you never know what to expect. I hope you get some rest before your daughter's cookout tomorrow. I can't even function unless I get at least 7 hours of sleep but prefer 8.

Lin, what a beautiful statue, but I am confused as usual, are both dogs Max? Sorry you lost your post.

Patsy, hope all is well in Oregon and the weather is cooperating.

Time to eat and hopefully get to the pool earlier than normal.
    Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Good day. Sunny and hot again today. Not a drop of rain. 😕

Bob, I am sorry to 😣 hear of the extended power outage. And to top it off, the loss of your bush. I don’t suppose they will buy a new one for you right? Enjoy your busy weekend and I hope you have a good time. 🇺🇸🎉💥🎊🇺🇸

Sandy, it is kind of you to give a ride to your son. I haven’t asked anyone for a ride for a long time but I do think from time to time it would be wonderful! The photo is the live dog Max wearing his medal sitting next to the new statue and bench that was installed in the park yesterday. He is a wonderful dog and beloved by many many people from around the world.

Anne, aha, you did give in and give the soon to be ex-neighbors a gift. That is very kind of you. I live in the U.S. but I have never received house warming gifts or food from neighbors. In this neighborhood, some people are quite friendly (and inquisitive) others just keep to themselves. Am one of the keep to myself folks. 😁

Patsy, I hope you are having a pleasant Saturday. Are you all staying safe and healthy? Is your son still working on projects? Or back to the boat project? Did you find an air conditioner?

Jackie, tennis weekend. I haven’t heard how the tournament is going. We have heard a lot about the condo collapse and about an impending storm that may hit Florida. And locally, there was a plane crash at a local airport with the plane burning up on impact. And lots of celebrations this weekend of course. Thanks for telling me about the cake. I was attracted to the setting and the colors. Tea seems a lovely tradition. So many people are gathering, it is inevitable that Covid will be spread to some extent. Unvaccinated people are not going to stay home. It seems you made a good decision to skip the gathering for Wimbledon.

Well, I read over the supply lists for the classes and started sorting through my stores to see what I had, what I didn’t have on hand, and what I could do without. I needed to order a few things, one from Amazon and the cart function was out of order. That was odd. Finally clicked and clicked and was able to place the order. Anyone else have an Amazon issue today?

Be happy.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

A pink teapot?!

jzgsaaik4kf8.jpeg

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello all sneakers! We are doing a beauty appointment for Miss Katie. She knows something is up. She is staying just out of reach and is eyeing every move we make. I am the groomer. John helps with vacuuming and putting everything away after grooming. I will not be giving her a big bath, just the grooming towelettes and fur and skin conditioner. This is an easier session. MAYBE……….

Our neighbors are fireworks people. They also get those big loud illegal firecrackers. Horrible! They are a lovely retired couple with dozens of grandchildren. Both are retired pharmacists and are originally from Mexico. They have 3 acres and seem intent to mow every living green thing down to the ground. Their life’s work is to kill germs and green things. But they are a sweet family. We are from a different frame of mind. John hates to cut any tree or tries not to prune too aggressively. But we all get along.

Off to get Katie….wish me luck!
    Patsy☘️🦴🦴🦴🐕🐕🐕🐕
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🌭🌭🌭🌭🌭🌭🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    uxcsym2s4b5s.jpeg

Enjoy your celebrations…. You know we Brits don’t take it personally! 😅😂🤣
    Jackie
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Ditto, enjoy the Fourth of July!
    Mmm. I wish we'd hung on to Vermont though! Lol.
    Annsie.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning.

vpm0zlbefek8.jpeg

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Options
    hnvhl51ll0uz.jpg
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Good morning dear sneakers, happy 4th of July to one and all! Oh you Brits…in truth we are still connected. We in the US love all things British: everything from the royalty and To BBC and Downton Abbey. What’s not to like? This from a second generation Irish hooligan.

Grooming done and vacuuming done yesterday. We didn’t stop and finally sat down to a plate of cold cuts, crackers and grapes at 8:30 pm. Whew! Katie wasn’t matted but her hair was long and thick. We wanted something easier to care for during this warm weather. She is happier I think, I know I am. She was almost cooperative this time…almost.

I am going to have a traditional 4th of July supper for John. Our family BBQ isn’t until the end of the month. Hot dogs (veggie) potato salad and watermelon. Katie is having her chicken and brown rice. She does like watermelon and will get a few bites. Our neighbors usually put on quite a show. We sit on the deck and look at it while Katie barks her disapproval. John has the yard fully watered in anticipation of hot flying fireworks from the neighbors.

Our new room air conditioner is working great, after the hot weather, we will store it downstairs in the furnace room. We are still looking at a more permanent solution. However John likes this low tech solution.

Lovely mild summer day here. That super hot weather felt so foreign, it even smelled different. The air here in Oregon generally smells slightly damp and earthy. The sunlight here on the coast is very slightly tinged with an orange -yellow hue. The marine layers have a faint cream color. Hard to explain but each part of this interesting planet seems to have a color scheme. Okay! I am weird, I admit it.
    Patsy☘️🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🍉🍉🍉🍉🍉🌭🌭🌭🌭🌭🌭
  • linder4866
    Options
    Working on cards today after attending online church.

I am still laughing at this!

ysh45zxkjuym.jpeg

I doubt anyone would want this unruly bunch of crazy people back!

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

lspkrr17af9r.jpeg

• Annsie35
    Options
    Well, in keeping with all you independent folks I enjoyed independence day as well. Mike came over and in fact Jilly has had a wonderful 3 days. Mike over Thursday, Mark and Mary Jo over on Saturday and Mike over yet again today. I was invited over to the Ms for pasta etc for Mary Jos birthday dinner. AND I found out something interesting! They are thinking of moving away from this congested area [as it is now, wasn't when we arrived years ago] to a further out town and mentioned Niagara on the lake. I made a strong case for a granny flat with them and wouldn't it be something if I moved out there as well and got to view the USA from the old fort and just across the river! Sort of fitting what with Canada Day and Independence Day wouldn't you say. Winery country as well AND the Shaw Festival theatre. Heaven, but I must stop dreaming!

LOVED the photo of the queen. I'd hate to be a celebrity. you never know who's creeping up and photographing you! There you are, probably wondering what didn't agree with the royal tum at the state dinner and snap somebody catches the moment for ever.

Harry spent the day still removing stuff and now the rubbish isn't leaning on my fence on his side - right out of the blue after years of no blooms my hydrangea bush on this side is covered in bud clusters AND a pale orange rose on his side is peeping over the top at me. I didn't even know he HAD a rose.

So I would say all in all Independence Day was pretty good and I bet you all had a glorious bun fight as we used to say back in the old country to celebrate.

Anne.

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great birthday wishes. I was so busy I didn’t get a chance to stop by.

qyam8t3mioai.jpeg

This was our first get together for our family in over a year and a half. I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a birthday party more. Restrictions have finally been lifted in Alberta for social gatherings. We’ve seen our girls individually but this time we were all together at the same time. So much fun.

I’ll catch up later after I’ve had a chance to read some posts.

Happy 4th of July.

Jeri

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone survived the 4th! Our power is back on and it has been one “adventure” after another. The rain was held in abeyance yesterday and temps were awesome at around 80. There was swimming, eating, water balloon toss etc. All the kids had a blast – as did the adults. (pic)

6mbdj4c9fo6o.jpg

Today will be VERY hot and humid in the 90’s…we might take a picnic lunch to the lake.

Sandy – Glad you liked the “Guess what day it is” meme. Always loved those commercials. I will be sure to check out Buzzr (I never heard of it before). Hope the weather is holding out for you and that swimming is in your future with perhaps a glass of wine (and hummingbird hello).

Jackie – Yes, Aunt Dorothy is full of “spirit” and will try anything. Reminds me of my dad on a skateboard and flying kites at 80 (even with cancer). You had me laughing about the neighbor – and the fence – the noise – and stay off my property ala Clint Eastwood’s “get off my lawn.”

Thanks for the bush condolences. In hindsight, it was bound to happen. We planted it over 10 years ago (to add a bit of beauty and partially hide the box) but it got so big and blocked their access so no choice. Could be worse…they had to dig up part of the line under a neighbor’s driveway (and the power co isn’t responsible for repairing the driveway.

SIDE NOTE: Jean just walked in and asked re: plans – lots of people still off for holiday – so skipping some of our initial thoughts and want to avoid huge crowds. I suggested trying a new Mexican restaurant in d’town area and a walk. We checked out the menu for lunch and decided…no way. Someone told us the food was good etc. BUT the menu shows soda’s for $4.00, appetizers for $15-17.00, Fajita’s for $23.00 etc – cough cough.

So we’re probably going to take a lakeside walk in an hour or two and then visit our usual Mexican place where we can eat for a combined total bill of $20 something.

Lin – Feel your pain about Walmart… I hate when they reorganize at my grocery store too. I do understand their marketing / psychological reasons – but annoying nonetheless. Hope you got the important things. As for the bush – we plan to lay dirt and just plant a few flowers. Actually, we probably were allowed to plant the bush to begin with for the obvious reasons of access.

Anne – A belated 119th Birthday wish to your dad…. Funny how we still count those years. My dad will only be 111 this year.

Jeri – HAPPY BIRTHDAY! LOVED ALL THE PHOTOS!!! WOW – what a great time! So sweet… nothing like family and lifted restrictions. Still 39 I see.

Off to get cleaned up (post-gym) – have a great afternoon everyone. Bob :)