Shrinking Assets-July Chat 2021

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    Had sushi last night… was up 2 lbs today.

I want to remind folks that starchy carbs retain water…. 7g water per 1g carb.

So, if you have a nice plate of sushi and are up A LOT tomorrow…. Don’t freak out. This is water, not fat.

This is so true, oatmeal and cereal does this to me

Now I am now trying Quinoa with 1 pear and frozen berries for breakfast and the I am fine
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Good morning/afternoon everybody!!! Sorry for the late weigh-in. Yesterday was an unexpectedly LONG and EXHAUSTING day. We drove one hour and purchased a used car. :) Then had to drive an hour in the opposite direction to drop the car we were using off. Then drove an hour home. My husband and I treated ourselves to beef patties. Something we only treat ourselves to when we go to the city.

PW: 280
    CW. 280.8

Not mad at all. This week, I drank 100 oz or more of water each day. Surprised myself because I didn't really want junk food and if I did, it was substituted with something healthy. Dealt with depression this week. Proud of myself because when I realized what it was; I forced myself to go out and walk even if it was for 20-30 mins. (Still can't walk long/far but happy I can walk for 20-30 mins.) Did that 4 days this week!!!.) I will be going out in a few to either walk or go to the gym. Haven't decided yet. Then going to take the kids out. Oh and forgot to mention, my son and I treated ourselves to a small cup of ice cream.

That is so true about being depressed, for me walking really helps
    I remember towards the end of last year, I looked out the window and felt like jumping through, then I realized that being cooped up inside was not helping me
    So I got dressed and starting walking daily with my music which helped me a lot - I just needed to be outside to clear my body and mind
    Hope you are ok now

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    1y2e2mbk3fmx.jpg
    r2wadxwoto3a.png
    du5ousv8un27.png
    mx87rc30g2ni.png

PLACE TEAM PERCENTAGE
    39saz3ve5tc5.png

PLACE TEAM LBS LOSS
    5s73v941ri3h.png

PLACE INDIVIDUAL PERCENTAGE
    cmi1l60xke1p.png
    @amymartin555
    @happimess01

PLACE INDIVIDUAL LBS LOSS
    0496brn38fbs.png

HONORABLE MENTIONS
    @gwamajtw91
    @KHill875
    @chublet25
    @laceyf53
    @CurvyCalorie
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    @krea4
    @Aqualang26
    @rachelrjh

kxc7o82jmqf8.png

• Nature003Life
    Nature003Life Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Good morning/afternoon everybody!!! Sorry for the late weigh-in. Yesterday was an unexpectedly LONG and EXHAUSTING day. We drove one hour and purchased a used car. :) Then had to drive an hour in the opposite direction to drop the car we were using off. Then drove an hour home. My husband and I treated ourselves to beef patties. Something we only treat ourselves to when we go to the city.

PW: 280
    CW. 280.8

Not mad at all. This week, I drank 100 oz or more of water each day. Surprised myself because I didn't really want junk food and if I did, it was substituted with something healthy. Dealt with depression this week. Proud of myself because when I realized what it was; I forced myself to go out and walk even if it was for 20-30 mins. (Still can't walk long/far but happy I can walk for 20-30 mins.) Did that 4 days this week!!!.) I will be going out in a few to either walk or go to the gym. Haven't decided yet. Then going to take the kids out. Oh and forgot to mention, my son and I treated ourselves to a small cup of ice cream.

That is so true about being depressed, for me walking really helps
    I remember towards the end of last year, I looked out the window and felt like jumping through, then I realized that being cooped up inside was not helping me
    So I got dressed and starting walking daily with my music which helped me a lot - I just needed to be outside to clear my body and mind
    Hope you are ok now

Hi Socajam!

Yes I am doing better. Thank you!
  • Beka3695
    edited July 2021
    Options
    The last 3 nights after my evening meal I have had some significant abdominal pains. Not gas, not poop pains, just odd crampy pains. Saturday and today they were a little lower. Yesterday they were directly below my sternum - my physical stomach.

I have no clue. Foods have been different each night. No other symptom other than crampiness.

I’m considering having a protein shake for dinner tomorrow and skipping solid stuff after maybe 3pm

Thoughts? Advice??? Am I crazy - don’t answer! Psychosomatic???

Edit to include….
    So, been sneezing the last hour or so. I took some NyQuil bc it was handy and I knew it had an antihistamine in it.
    Within about 10 min of taking it my stomach pain is gone.
    This makes no sense to me 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    @Nature003Life - Yes, there is a lot of research on the connections between adverse childhood experiences and obesity. I am doing some work to increase awareness among primary care physicians so they can recognize signs of trauma and provide support to their patients. If anyone is interested in learning more about this topic, here’s a link to more information:

https://stop.publichealth.gwu.edu/LFD-apr17

There are more up-to-date studies available but the link above offers a good overview of the original research by Dr. Vincent Felitti. In 1985, he “was frustrated by the 50% dropout rate of patients with severe obesity from his San Diego-based clinic. Upon review, Felitti was shocked to find that most dropouts were losing weight when they left the program. Follow-up interviews with these patients revealed that the majority (55%) had experienced some form of childhood sexual abuse. Many women indicated that they believed their physical size helped to ward off sexual advances from men. For these women, excess weight was protective.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    @Beka3695 how long ago was your race? Any other significant/different physical activity that could cause wear and tear? Sounds like it could be a muscle thing instead of a stomach thing, with an evening meal making it appear because of the weight/volume of the food stretching your stomach. Admittedly I don’t live with US medicine so I don’t really know what’s in a NyQuil and what it does. But if you took it for sneezing and it stopped both sneezing and the pain, it could be a muscle thing - sneezing is pretty hard on muscles in your torso. I’ve been experiencing that first hand lately, with the baby stretching my abs and sneezing makes everything hurt even down in my pelvis.
  • hipari
    Options
    @Nature003Life that’s a really interesting question! For me, it’s not really a trauma about emotional eating, but a combination of a few childhood things. The only singular event I can pinpoint is the one time I missed my curfew as a little kid (I was at my friend’s house pretty much next door and walked home on my own so it was easy to lose track of time), and was sent to bed without my regular evening snack as punishment. I was really hungry. As an adult, I’ve struggled with feeling hunger and avoiding it at all cost, eating even when not hungry if I know there will be any time period where food won’t be available. Like, when I worked in a grocery store and we had pre-set break times every 2 hours, I’d eat a full meal at every single break just to make sure I would not get hungry before my next break. As if feeling hungry for an hour would kill me… Another thing is always finishing my plate without having an option to choose my own portion size or leave some uneaten, and being complimented for eating big portions.

As a result, I have trouble with portion control and eating ”just in case”, and the combination is, well, a lot of food. This something I’ve been working on with a minimal effort every now and then, trying to pay attention to this, and something I definitely need to work on more. Not only for myself, but to figure out how to help a child create a healthier relationship with food as I don’t want my baby to share the same struggles. As an added bonus, I’d love to lose these issues and the extra weight before my baby can form memories, so she won’t be left with a memory of a dieting mommy who’s unhappy with her weight.
  • hipari
    Options
    We’re going on a holiday trip today! Traveling is limited to domestic and I definitely don’t want to fly anymore, but we’re going to a spa near a medieval coastal town I’ve only visited twice in my life. We’re taking an old-time 100-year old ship there, staying two nights at the spa hotel and making a day trip to the town. We have some fine dining restaurant tables booked for both nights as well as some visits to the spa’s pool area (it’s pre-booking only due to covid), and their spa provides a special treatment package for expecting mothers so I have some pampering booked as well. I’m also really, really glad I paid a little extra to book the slightly more expensive room that has air conditioning. It means I get to sleep without sweat gluing me to the bed!

After the trip there’s about 1.5 more weeks of vacation left before going back to work for 8 weeks, and then I’m going on maternity leave until next August/September. I can totally do this!
  • Beka3695
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    @Beka3695 how long ago was your race? Any other significant/different physical activity that could cause wear and tear? Sounds like it could be a muscle thing instead of a stomach thing, with an evening meal making it appear because of the weight/volume of the food stretching your stomach. Admittedly I don’t live with US medicine so I don’t really know what’s in a NyQuil and what it does. But if you took it for sneezing and it stopped both sneezing and the pain, it could be a muscle thing - sneezing is pretty hard on muscles in your torso. I’ve been experiencing that first hand lately, with the baby stretching my abs and sneezing makes everything hurt even down in my pelvis.

Race was 7/4. NyQuil is a nighttime cold medication. The pain was there before the sneezing started. It seemed that the NyQuil eased the pain. It is a liquid so maybe the meds coated and relaxed the stomach??

It could be the volume of food in my stomach. I had pasta and asparagus for dinner. It was pretty heavy. I’m going to go lighter tonight and see if anything changes.

My daughter, who is lactose intolerant, said this is how her issues presented themselves. It would take hours to show, but the milk on her breakfast cereal would cause cramping at night. I use full fat half and half in my coffee. If it presents again tonight with a lighter evening meal, I’m cutting creamer tomorrow as an experiment.
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    chublet25
    weekly weigh-in
    Tuesday July 13
    PW: 176.5
    CW: 174.5
  • chublet25
    chublet25 Posts: 833 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    hipari wrote: »

Race was 7/4. NyQuil is a nighttime cold medication. The pain was there before the sneezing started. It seemed that the NyQuil eased the pain. It is a liquid so maybe the meds coated and relaxed the stomach??

It could be the volume of food in my stomach. I had pasta and asparagus for dinner. It was pretty heavy. I’m going to go lighter tonight and see if anything changes.

My daughter, who is lactose intolerant, said this is how her issues presented themselves. It would take hours to show, but the milk on her breakfast cereal would cause cramping at night. I use full fat half and half in my coffee. If it presents again tonight with a lighter evening meal, I’m cutting creamer tomorrow as an experiment.

I didn't realize that I was lactose intolerant until I became vegan and then a bunch of unpleasant symptoms totally disappeared! It also explains why I, a bottle-fed baby, was "colicky." I personally don't like almond milk, but cashew and oat and soy milk are delicious these days. And there are vegan versions of half and half.
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Weigh In:
    PW: 150.2
    CW: 150.4
  • wtbarunner
    wtbarunner Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Wtbarunner
    Wednesday
    PW 238