Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Groups Larger Losers
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

General Discussion

11112141617

Replies

  • speyerjspeyerj Member Posts: 1,264 Member Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    @bmeadows380 - thanks for popping in and giving us an update! Been thinking of you. So glad you are both so happy. Big changes for you both, but life will settle down soon and you'll be back in the grove with your fitness goals.
  • mralexanderhamiltonmralexanderhamilton Member Posts: 3 Member Member Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there everyone I am new here. I currently weigh 120KG looking to get down to 85KG. Starting tomorrow I am taking back control of my life. Going to go for a 3.5 mile walk and then setting goal only to drink water for the day. I understand it's a long journey but I am ready 😀
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Member Posts: 8,831 Member Member Posts: 8,831 Member
    Hi there everyone I am new here. I currently weigh 120KG looking to get down to 85KG. Starting tomorrow I am taking back control of my life. Going to go for a 3.5 mile walk and then setting goal only to drink water for the day. I understand it's a long journey but I am ready 😀

    Have you figured out yet how to log your caloric intake count(s) for the day? Any idea, as of yet, what your daily activity level is and how many calories you normally expend in order to achieve it? What deficit either as a number of calories (as most people would express it), or as a percentage of caloric expended (as I think would be best viewed) are you aiming for?
  • jwall956jwall956 Member, Premium Posts: 54 Member Member, Premium Posts: 54 Member
    Lol thank you for all the advise. Lockdown is ending for us now and I am back to work full time, so now I have to try and figure out how I am going to get exercise every day. Uhg. Just when you think you have a routine, it changes.
  • conniewilkins56conniewilkins56 Member Posts: 2,575 Member Member Posts: 2,575 Member
    jwall956 wrote: »
    Lol thank you for all the advise. Lockdown is ending for us now and I am back to work full time, so now I have to try and figure out how I am going to get exercise every day. Uhg. Just when you think you have a routine, it changes.

    You lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym....I did no exercise the entire first year on MFP...now at two years, I have lost 109 lbs.....best of luck on your new healthy life!
  • AthijadeAthijade Member Posts: 2,598 Member Member Posts: 2,598 Member
    Anyone here deal with anxiety and depression? How do you handle diet when things get really bad? Like, want to curl up in a ball in bed, cry, and not leave bad. Like, want to shut down bad. Because that is where I am today and even making my tuna sandwich at lunch was draining.
  • eliezaloteliezalot Member Posts: 620 Member Member Posts: 620 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Anyone here deal with anxiety and depression? How do you handle diet when things get really bad? Like, want to curl up in a ball in bed, cry, and not leave bad. Like, want to shut down bad. Because that is where I am today and even making my tuna sandwich at lunch was draining.

    HUGS! For me these days it is more more anxiety than depression, but they do like to tag team. When things get bad, I make mental health my big priority.

    I've found that prioritizing my mental health makes sticking to my plan much easier. And, turns out, guilt tripping myself about not sticking to my plan when I'm spiraling definitely does NOT help, lol. Do you what you need to do to try and improve your mental health - meditate, exercise, get outside, take medication if you have it (or ask your doctor about starting/switching if needed), do some CBT exercises, talk to a therapist. The long term benefits will far outweigh any off days in the meantime.

    That being said, no matter how well controlled it is, we will all still have bad days/weeks/months. When I'm feeling energetic and able to plan ahead, I try to keep the freezer and pantry stocked with easy, quick, portion-controlled food. Amy's frozen burritos, any microwaveable meal, those frozen bags of veggies, pasta, and sauce, etc... I'll also often freeze dinner leftovers in individual portion bags. Then on bad days, I can still have healthy, homemade food with minimal effort. If I feel like I would be able to control my portions, I might even do takeout.

    If you have the energy to make it out to the grocery store, look for pre-cut, pre-packaged convenience foods. Pre-cut veggies and a tub of hummus, microwavable bags of rice or curries (usually heavy in sodium, but manageable for calories). Do you have a partner, friend, or family member who could make you a meal or pick something up from the store? Anything to make it easier on yourself until you are feeling better again.

    I hope this passes quickly for you and that you get back to feeling like yourself.
  • AthijadeAthijade Member Posts: 2,598 Member Member Posts: 2,598 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    HUGS! For me these days it is more more anxiety than depression, but they do like to tag team. When things get bad, I make mental health my big priority.

    I've found that prioritizing my mental health makes sticking to my plan much easier. And, turns out, guilt tripping myself about not sticking to my plan when I'm spiraling definitely does NOT help, lol. Do you what you need to do to try and improve your mental health - meditate, exercise, get outside, take medication if you have it (or ask your doctor about starting/switching if needed), do some CBT exercises, talk to a therapist. The long term benefits will far outweigh any off days in the meantime.

    That being said, no matter how well controlled it is, we will all still have bad days/weeks/months. When I'm feeling energetic and able to plan ahead, I try to keep the freezer and pantry stocked with easy, quick, portion-controlled food. Amy's frozen burritos, any microwaveable meal, those frozen bags of veggies, pasta, and sauce, etc... I'll also often freeze dinner leftovers in individual portion bags. Then on bad days, I can still have healthy, homemade food with minimal effort. If I feel like I would be able to control my portions, I might even do takeout.

    If you have the energy to make it out to the grocery store, look for pre-cut, pre-packaged convenience foods. Pre-cut veggies and a tub of hummus, microwavable bags of rice or curries (usually heavy in sodium, but manageable for calories). Do you have a partner, friend, or family member who could make you a meal or pick something up from the store? Anything to make it easier on yourself until you are feeling better again.

    I hope this passes quickly for you and that you get back to feeling like yourself.

    My anxiety has been up all week. There is a lot going on. Work is insane and they are about to start having us back in the office 1 day a week. I am also going to be learning some new stuff. So it's just a lot of change. It's just today it seems the depression has hitched a ride for a wonderful 1 2 punch.

    I am on medication (2 in fact) plus I see a therapist. My next therapy appointment is Monday so very soon and I am going to talk to her about what may be going on. I also want to get her advice on how to approach my new doctor about getting a new prescription for some "emergency" anxiety meds without sounding like I just want some drugs. I used to have one but I used it all... it only took me a year to go through like 10 pills lmao.

    And I agree about the guilt with sticking to the plan makes it harder. My therapist says I have food anxiety most likely from having to cut so much out and always being worried if something is going to cause me a flare. I become afraid of food. And it's not just the possibility of pain, but it does also end up bleeding into weight loss and if a food is "good" or "healthy".

    I think I am going to order in tonight. I have a go to order from the local BBQ place that will fit my calories almost perfectly. Even with their amazing banana pudding. Plus, it is still "real" food as opposed to fast food (not that fast food is inherently "bad" but I know in my mind set it would just make me feel worse right now). I shifted my meal plans around and everything fits well taking tonight off.

    Gonna just try to take care of myself tonight, even if that meals curling up in bed with old episodes of Ghost Hunters on Discovery+ and eating delivered BBQ.

    Thank you so much for reaching out. Today is a struggle and I am feeling very alone so it did help.

  • eliezaloteliezalot Member Posts: 620 Member Member Posts: 620 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    eliezalot wrote: »
    HUGS! For me these days it is more more anxiety than depression, but they do like to tag team. When things get bad, I make mental health my big priority.

    I've found that prioritizing my mental health makes sticking to my plan much easier. And, turns out, guilt tripping myself about not sticking to my plan when I'm spiraling definitely does NOT help, lol. Do you what you need to do to try and improve your mental health - meditate, exercise, get outside, take medication if you have it (or ask your doctor about starting/switching if needed), do some CBT exercises, talk to a therapist. The long term benefits will far outweigh any off days in the meantime.

    That being said, no matter how well controlled it is, we will all still have bad days/weeks/months. When I'm feeling energetic and able to plan ahead, I try to keep the freezer and pantry stocked with easy, quick, portion-controlled food. Amy's frozen burritos, any microwaveable meal, those frozen bags of veggies, pasta, and sauce, etc... I'll also often freeze dinner leftovers in individual portion bags. Then on bad days, I can still have healthy, homemade food with minimal effort. If I feel like I would be able to control my portions, I might even do takeout.

    If you have the energy to make it out to the grocery store, look for pre-cut, pre-packaged convenience foods. Pre-cut veggies and a tub of hummus, microwavable bags of rice or curries (usually heavy in sodium, but manageable for calories). Do you have a partner, friend, or family member who could make you a meal or pick something up from the store? Anything to make it easier on yourself until you are feeling better again.

    I hope this passes quickly for you and that you get back to feeling like yourself.

    My anxiety has been up all week. There is a lot going on. Work is insane and they are about to start having us back in the office 1 day a week. I am also going to be learning some new stuff. So it's just a lot of change. It's just today it seems the depression has hitched a ride for a wonderful 1 2 punch.

    I am on medication (2 in fact) plus I see a therapist. My next therapy appointment is Monday so very soon and I am going to talk to her about what may be going on. I also want to get her advice on how to approach my new doctor about getting a new prescription for some "emergency" anxiety meds without sounding like I just want some drugs. I used to have one but I used it all... it only took me a year to go through like 10 pills lmao.

    And I agree about the guilt with sticking to the plan makes it harder. My therapist says I have food anxiety most likely from having to cut so much out and always being worried if something is going to cause me a flare. I become afraid of food. And it's not just the possibility of pain, but it does also end up bleeding into weight loss and if a food is "good" or "healthy".

    I think I am going to order in tonight. I have a go to order from the local BBQ place that will fit my calories almost perfectly. Even with their amazing banana pudding. Plus, it is still "real" food as opposed to fast food (not that fast food is inherently "bad" but I know in my mind set it would just make me feel worse right now). I shifted my meal plans around and everything fits well taking tonight off.

    Gonna just try to take care of myself tonight, even if that meals curling up in bed with old episodes of Ghost Hunters on Discovery+ and eating delivered BBQ.

    Thank you so much for reaching out. Today is a struggle and I am feeling very alone so it did help.
    I feel that so hard lol. I can count the number I've taken in the last year on one hand, and it is hard to get....and mine isn't even the good stuff! Just essentially benadryl on steroids. Sometimes I find that even just knowing I have the "emergency" ones on hand helps to manage the anxiety. Like, they are there if I need them, and that in itself is a relief.

    BBQ and banana pudding and some comfort TV sounds like the perfect thing. My go-to comfort show is Psych (with Indian food delivery). Also, I'm always here for mental health venting, commiserating, and/or solution brainstorming.

    I hope you can get some rest and relief tonight, and that tomorrow is a better day!!
  • AthijadeAthijade Member Posts: 2,598 Member Member Posts: 2,598 Member
    So... I am feeling a lot better this week, especially after talking to my therapist yesterday. I think we made some progress on what caused my total breakdown last week and what my brain is doing. Next appointment we will work on ways to hopefully keep it from happening or at least coping mechanisms to help me through it.

    I am eating out of my freezer as much as possible over the next couple of weeks in order to make space. Once I clear out some room, I want to stock it up. I will get some premade frozen meals (like Trader Joes Chicken Pot Pie) and things that are easy to make (veggie burgers and also freeze buns), but I also want to make a couple things to have in there. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Member Posts: 2,390 Member Member Posts: 2,390 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions?

    I would suggest cooking a pork shoulder in the crock pot till it shreds, and mixing that with barbecue sauce and putting that up in 6 ounce bags. You can eat that on buns or in a wrap.

    I also cook ground beef with various spices, and then when I want meat for a spaghetti sauce, or meat for tacos or burritos, I can have hot ground beef ready to use in one minute thirty seconds, or often I put the frozen meat in the spaghetti sauce and let it heat up together on the stove.

    I make meatballs (so they're all meat, not fillers) and bake them in the oven on a rack to let the fat drain, and then put them up in bags. Same as the ground beef- fast warm in the microwave, or dumped into spaghetti sauce or jarred korma sauce for an Indian meal.

    Kroger sells grilled chicken chunks, and I put those into quesadillas and into various pasta + alfredo sauce applications.

    I also have carnitas in the freezer. Each bag is enough meat for the three of us and a sauce packet. I spread the meat chunks out on a foil-covered baking sheet and broil, drizzling with the sauce. I also grill and freeze sliced peppers and onions, and Kroger sells premade fresh pico de gallo, so it's a very easy meal to put together, but may be more than you want to do.

    I have several stews in there, including a Moroccan lamb stew, a black bean chili, and a bag of chicken tikka in korma sauce.

    I also have a lot of meat in marinade; there's steak strips for beef stroganoff, country pork ribs for char sui, and pork pieces in a Thai peanut sauce for peanut pork. (We like pork more than chicken.)

    I have meat in there that is sliced and vacuum sealed into portions. There's three of us, so three pork chops, three pieces of steak, three chicken breast cutlets, etc.

    I also break up and rebag frozen ravioli. If the family bag of beef ravioli makes five portions, I will open it up, count the frozen ravioli out into five piles, and bag up each portion of ravioli separately. That way I don't have to use restraint when I'm hungry.

    I try to break up all the standing work with use of the freezer, as I have a standing budget. By doing this, I can do the ten minutes of standing to fry up hamburger for taco filling at a different time than the ten minutes standing up to heat tacos, cut lettuce, and put sour cream in a pastry bag to pipe, and that sometimes makes the difference for me between "I have the spoons to make dinner" and "I can't stand up long enough to cook that."
  • eliezaloteliezalot Member Posts: 620 Member Member Posts: 620 Member
    I'm so glad you are feeling better this week!

    I love making extra soup to freeze (chicken soup, minestrone, borscht, beef stew, split pea). Lasagna freezes and reheats really well too - you could do a traditional version, or a lighter veggie-heavy one. Probably any sort of saucy pasta dish would work for this. Oh, curries too!

    I got a vacuum sealer for Christmas, which has been amazing. I often bag up and freeze leftovers, which can be reheated by plopping the frozen bag into hot/simmering water. I have some lemon chicken orzo in the freezer right now! It is so easy to just cook a little extra, plop a portion or two into the bags, and freeze.
  • AthijadeAthijade Member Posts: 2,598 Member Member Posts: 2,598 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Anyone have any suggestions?

    I try to break up all the standing work with use of the freezer, as I have a standing budget. By doing this, I can do the ten minutes of standing to fry up hamburger for taco filling at a different time than the ten minutes standing up to heat tacos, cut lettuce, and put sour cream in a pastry bag to pipe, and that sometimes makes the difference for me between "I have the spoons to make dinner" and "I can't stand up long enough to cook that."

    Thank you for the suggestions. They all sound really good.

    The part I quoted has been my problem in the past when it comes to prepping food for the freezer, but it is also the reason I NEED to have stuff prepped in the freezer. Some days I just can't. My body hurts and my fatigue is high. As you said, I don't have the spoons to do it.

    Right now the only meat I plan to keep on hand is chicken breasts and salmon. Those are things I eat at least once a week. I do have some steaks in there right now that will last me like 6 months or more since I am trying to only eat red meat like once a month for health reasons. Otherwise I want to use the space for premade meals (homemade or bought), frozen veggies, frozen buns, and occasional treats (like ice cream bars).

    edited June 8
  • AthijadeAthijade Member Posts: 2,598 Member Member Posts: 2,598 Member
    eliezalot wrote: »
    I'm so glad you are feeling better this week!

    I love making extra soup to freeze (chicken soup, minestrone, borscht, beef stew, split pea). Lasagna freezes and reheats really well too - you could do a traditional version, or a lighter veggie-heavy one. Probably any sort of saucy pasta dish would work for this. Oh, curries too!

    I got a vacuum sealer for Christmas, which has been amazing. I often bag up and freeze leftovers, which can be reheated by plopping the frozen bag into hot/simmering water. I have some lemon chicken orzo in the freezer right now! It is so easy to just cook a little extra, plop a portion or two into the bags, and freeze.

    Thank you!

    The lasagna is a great idea. Mine is not super diet friendly because I use a white sauce, but it is veggie loaded. I hate making it though because it is a lot of food for one person to eat. Freezing it in individual slices (or even 2 servings per) would make perfect sense.

    The soup also sounds great. I feel I would more likely eat frozen homemade soup then canned soup.

    I am getting a few things this weekend. A restaurant in a town near me does what they call "Sunday Supper Club" where they have a menu each week for prepared meals you can just pick up on Sundays. They have their freshly prepared menu, but then also usually have some frozen items as well. Currently I have a pint of their chicken and wild rice soup in the freezer. This week I am going to get some potato and leek soup and a vegetarian tamale pie for the freezer. The soup is enough for 2 meals with a side of some sort while the tamale pie says 2-3 servings. By getting their stuff, I can also have a few "nice" items up there as well.
  • eliezaloteliezalot Member Posts: 620 Member Member Posts: 620 Member
    Vacation approaches.

    Our first trip is driving Michigan next week to see my in-laws. I'm planning to track as best as I can and not eat above maintenance. We'll be gone about 10 days. I think this one should be mostly okay - my in-laws don't eat a ton, and most of it is reasonable amounts of relatively simple and healthy-ish foods. We'll be fairly active, lots of walking. I'm not too worried about this one. The drive out and back will be more difficult. My husband LOVES sugary, salty, fatty, calorie-dense car snacks. Even if I don't buy it for myself, it will be sitting right next to me in the car, and I have zero willpower. Though he also has been making an effort to cut down on junk food lately, so maybe he can be convinced to plan on healthier car treats?

    After this trip, we'll be home for a few weeks, then vacationing with my parents in MN for another week on house boat! We've never done that, and I am super excited. But. My mom LOVES to cook, and makes a lot of food. Unlike at my in-laws, I'm going to have to contend with home-cooked comfort (aka filling, delicious, starchy, meaty, buttery) food and lots of it. The good news at least, is that mom and I will do some meal planning together, so I can offer suggestions, make sure there is plenty of fruit to snack on, etc... She knows my cholesterol is up and that I have to watch it, so I think she'll be pretty accommodating. But even so, I know there will just be more food than we need, and constant temptation to eat it. I haven't worried too much about this too much in the past, but I'm still losing the 20 lbs I gained over my last 3 trips home, so clearly I need to worry a bit more about it :lol: . I should be pretty active on this trip - lots of swimming and hiking. But ugh. I'm going to be on a tiny boat full of easily accessible snacks. We will be fully out of cell-phone service, so logging won't even be an option. It is going to be all on me. :neutral:
  • conniewilkins56conniewilkins56 Member Posts: 2,575 Member Member Posts: 2,575 Member
    Get a journal notebook to track your foods and you can still keep track of your calories…..try to enjoy a few of your favorite foods but don’t go crazy….portion control….convince your husband you really need to eat fruit and veggies and string cheese in the car….make him keep his snacks separate….pack your own goodie bag…..popcorn is a great low calorie snack…make a big batch and put in a plastic container….you can do this!….most of all relax and enjoy yourself….make lots of great memories!
  • rhaiinrhaiin Member Posts: 28 Member Member Posts: 28 Member
    Has anyone else tried Joyn yet? Its a website with free workout videos for people that are overweight/have mobility issues/etc. I like that the trainers are closer to my size and the videos are more targeted for my fitness abilities. I'm really out of shape and I can never keep up with traditional fitness trainers.
  • AthijadeAthijade Member Posts: 2,598 Member Member Posts: 2,598 Member
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried Joyn yet? Its a website with free workout videos for people that are overweight/have mobility issues/etc. I like that the trainers are closer to my size and the videos are more targeted for my fitness abilities. I'm really out of shape and I can never keep up with traditional fitness trainers.

    I had not heard of this but just looked them up. It looks really cool! I have been looking for workouts designed for people more my size and ability. Going to try some of these for sure. The mindfulness boxing stands out as something I may like.
  • lauriekallislauriekallis Member Posts: 1,403 Member Member Posts: 1,403 Member
    rhaiin wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried Joyn yet? Its a website with free workout videos for people that are overweight/have mobility issues/etc. I like that the trainers are closer to my size and the videos are more targeted for my fitness abilities. I'm really out of shape and I can never keep up with traditional fitness trainers.

    @pdb101 - I just read your post, and then read this. Maybe something helpful here?
  • pdb101pdb101 Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member


    @pdb101 - I just read your post, and then read this. Maybe something helpful here?[/quote]

    Laurie, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to take a look.

Sign In or Register to comment.