What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Hanoverlady1
    Hanoverlady1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Currently reading "The Kids Are Gonna Ask" by Gretchen Anthony.
  • LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Momo by Michael Ende (5*)
    Orphan girl in poor village is the only unaffected person who can save the world from the dehumanizing take over by a sinister cabal of time bandits who are conning people out of their allotted time by preying on their greed and foolishness. It is a very original and creative story that is also a thoughtful allegory about the erosion of human value as modern life grows more hectic and materialistic. It's supposedly a kid's story and although they might enjoy the fantasy tale, I doubt if they would get the allegorical tale. It seem pretty philosophical for a children's book, but as an old lady reader, I really enjoyed it.

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I read State of Fear by Michael Crichton. It was about global warming and the media hype, and it was ok, but not awesome like Jurassic Park or some of his others.

Now I am finishing the Snow Like Ashes trilogy by Sara Raasch, Frost Like Night (book 3). It is a YA fantasy series and it is ok, but I have read better. For what it is the story is unique and pretty well done.

I stocked up at Amazon in their super SFF kindle book sale, I think I stopped at 10 books. They were all newer releases with gigantic wait lines at libraries that I have access to, so now I have a ton more in my TBR pile. Mount TBR is slowly shrinking in my library room and growing on my Kindle Oasis.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Reading The Slynx by Tatiana Tolstaya. Not normally my cup of tea, but I'm sticking with it.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm currently reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari, which is very interesting. For lighter moments, I'm reading Hamnet & Judith by Maggie O'Farrell.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Finished My Best Friend's Exorcism - 3 stars.

Now reading Stern Men - Elizabeth Gilbert
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    "Hail Mary" by Andy Weir (the guy who wrote "The Martian" novel which was later turned into a movie).
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. It's by Joseph King, Stephen's son, who goes by a pen name. This one is a horror.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Vision in Silver (The Others, #3) by Anne Bishop was 4 stars from me. A fantasy book series.
  • Hanoverlady1
    Hanoverlady1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Like Crazy: Life With My Mother and Her Invisible Friends. by Dan Mathews
    The author's mother is coping with worsening dementia.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier. YA fantasy set in Transylvania (Romania).
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman
  • LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Got two more Pulitzers under my belt--48 down and 46 (+ 4 not yet awarded) to go!

Less by Andrew Sean Greer (5*)
    This is the prize winner that book snobs are most likely to put down as not worthy of a Pulitzer, but I loved it. It is a story about a middle-aged, close-to-broke, less-than-successful gay author whose ex-lover is marrying another. In order to avoid the pain of attending the wedding, he organizes his many invitations to travel around the world in various low-paying engagements for motley groups that can't afford a famous guest author. The story is told with warmth, sweetness, humor, and wisdom as he and his mid-life crisis encounter various misadventures and relive the memories of his life that brought him to this point. It is clearly-written, well-organized, enjoyable, fast-moving, and without weird or dragged-out, so that's probably why the elitist book-snobs judge it so harshly.

The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich (5*)
    This is a fictionalized 1953 story of the author's grandfather, who struggled to protect his tribe during a very difficult period in their history, as the federal government sought to seize the best reservation land and resources and cut the Indian Affairs expenses involved in keeping the treaties by dissolving the treaties and reservations, leaving most of the people homeless, broke, and without means of survival. It has a lot of characters and bounces around several secondary and tertiary subplots about the troubles of many other tribe members, that often made an unwelcome interruption when the main story was getting interesting. This one is dragged-out, since I personally found the diversions excessive, but the central story about this amazing man is wonderful and makes wading through all the other stuff worthwhile.
  • TEXASTITCHER
    TEXASTITCHER Posts: 6,259 Member
    Options
    listening to some older stories by Nora Roberts - have finished The Villa, High Noon, Birthright, and am currently listening to Tribute
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Hollywood Dead (Sandman Slim, #10) by Richard Kadrey. I don't know why I like these books, but something appeals to me. They are easy reads but not stellar content. However I am on book 10 out of 12 so I will probably continue the series.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Re-reading my first novel "Dragon Born" to get my mind back in the world I created, in the hope I can build some momentum and finish editing my second novel which has been sitting on my laptop for over five years now waiting to be finished and submitted to a publisher.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I finished my last two books and enjoyed both.

I've now started The Last Camel Died At Noon by Elizabeth Peters. It's the sixth book in the Amelia Peabody series.

Catfish_Fan, I understand the appeal of light, easy, fun reads. They are "feel good" reads.

nossmf, good luck on your second book!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Cybele's Secret (Wildwood, #2) by Juliet Marillier. This one picks up a few years after book 1, following a different sister. Still set in the Transylvania area, although the father and daughter take a trading mission to Istanbul to acquire a sacred object. Very good so far. I have really enjoyed everything I have read by this author and look forward to much more.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Guide by Peter Heller. This one is a sequel to The River and is a psychological thriller.