• NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thank you! 😁
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Hi! 👋

Someone left the back door unlocked, so I snuck in to check out the group. In 2018 and 2019, I lost 65 lbs, regained some during the height of the pandemic stress, and lost that but am working on another 35ish lbs.

I really have no goal weight in mind — my ultimate goal is to land somewhere reasonable and sustainable where chronic inflammation and pain isn’t such a chore.

(insert string of profanities) i keep TELLING them to lock that door! ;) good grief, just ANYONE can wander in!

how do you think *I* got in.

oh, pav let me in. that's right. hm. He probably regrets that now....

😂🤣

I thought I smelled cheeseburgers …what can I say? 🤪

Hurrying to change my screen name to ANYONE 😇

hmmm i forgot to have a cheeseburger.

i guess that craving was fleeting. LOL
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,032 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @NerdyScienceGrl, glad you followed the trail of breadcrumbs!

@kentp1985, welcome from a fellow Brit!
  • jsmh2
    jsmh2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow GatorHfx, those are some impressive numbers! Gives me hope! Hey NerdyScienceGirl, I never lock the door so come on in any time. Just make sure you throw the ball for Captain, my mini doxie, or he won't quit barking.
  • chrissyiojijoij
    chrissyiojijoij Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Hi @chrissyiojijoij - you are a person of few words! :)

Hi. I wrote some stuff but got nervous and deleted it haha

what chrissy lacks in words, I make up for in them :D

Lol. Thanks.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options

Lol. Thanks.

Don’t be afraid to share here….no one ever judges or shames you….everyone here has had a lot to lose or are still losing….please join us!
  • chrissyiojijoij
    Options

Lol. Thanks.

Don’t be afraid to share here….no one ever judges or shames you….everyone here has had a lot to lose or are still losing….please join us!

Thank you.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    HI! They are good people here. No one has ever given me any shade, and they've been endlessly supportive.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    I’ve been lurking for nearly three years. Thought it was finally time to join the party. I’ve been overweight all my life. My highest weight was 310. I joined MFP at 263. Currently I’m at 175 lbs. and have maintained that weight for over a year through the pandemic. But I still need to lose at least 25-30 lbs. Lately I’ve had some annoying exercise related medical problems. Foot stress fracture and now hip bursitis. I’m seeing a sports medicine orthopedist at the grand old age of 74. So now Connie has competition in the Grand Dame of Larger Losers department.

I love this!….bring it on!…I am sure you have read my “ story “ if you have been lurking here….175 pounds is amazing!….my goal is 199 and the we will see how much skin I have hanging around if I want to lose more!….so happy you are joining us….jump in conversations anywhere and never be afraid to share….a huge welcome to you!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    No I haven’t lost 175 lbs. yet. Ive lost about 145 over time. I weigh 175 lbs. now. My doctor is happy where I am. I’m short -5’2” and shrinking so I need to lose more.
    Let’s not get into loose skin. Naked I look like one of those Shar-Pei dogs! Luckily my husband of 46 years says he will keep me.
    Another thing we have in common is we live in the south. I’m in Texas where it’s still humid and near 90 ever day. Been here 30 years and still hate summer. Winter is magnificent though.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    No I haven’t lost 175 lbs. yet. Ive lost about 145 over time. I weigh 175 lbs. now. My doctor is happy where I am. I’m short -5’2” and shrinking so I need to lose more.
    Let’s not get into loose skin. Naked I look like one of those Shar-Pei dogs! Luckily my husband of 46 years says he will keep me.
    Another thing we have in common is we live in the south. I’m in Texas where it’s still humid and near 90 ever day. Been here 30 years and still hate summer. Winter is magnificent though.

I meant it is amazing that you weigh 175… I am 5’9” and I will never weigh 175!…I will be married 47 years in Nov……I used to go north in Feb. just to cool off!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Oops - I’ve been married 47 years too. Just had another anniversary recently.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,672 Member
    Options
    Welcome Yoolypr!
    Fun to read about the similiarities between Connie and you, and to have you two meet here!

I am 5'9" and currently weight in the low 170s. But, I really want to get down to 150ish so have another 25 pounds to go (which is really really challenging me after losing 105lbs).

Glad you are bringing your experience to the table - the more people we can learn from and lean on the better.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm shorter!!!🙀 172.25 cm, so there!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,740 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes, I love lurkers ❣️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I'm Jen. I have been searching for groups like this and found this one on the message boards. The posts and encouragement from NovusDies to others made me want to check out this group. I have always been a roller coaster yo-yo dieter and have always been slightly overweight all my life. A few years ago I joined Spark People and learned the math behind calories and it finally "clicked". Of course, I went on the 1200 calorie diet that was suggested. I stuck with it, since I was a yo-yo dieter, I was used to going on a diet and limiting what I could and could not eat. I actually lost 51 pounds and was ONE pound away from reaching my healthy goal weight. Unfortunately, I got tired of eating the same thing all the time -salad for lunch and skinless chicken breast and broccoli for dinner- so I stopped tracking calories and walking. Over time since I went back to my old-habits I put on the weight again. I also have quit smoking since then, so I have additional weight from that now as well. Another factor to gaining my weight was the abusive marriage I was in, which continued after the divorce. My son is now 18 which has allowed me to basically end 90% of all contact with my ex. Needless to say, I am at the heaviest I have ever been and I got back up to my pregnancy weight.

I am not sure how much to share, which to be honest it is a tad bit uncomfortable, however, changes cant be made unless I admit there is a problem, right? I am finally over being angry and depressed at myself for gaining weight like this, and I am ready to get healthy. I have lost 6 pounds (by just tracking and eating at home), but I have 85 pounds to go at the moment, so this is going to be a long process for me.

I am going to continue calorie counting since it makes sense to me and the math clicks with me. Well to a point, I understand I need a deficit to lose weight and I understand that my BMR is the constant "control group" and the calories-in that I eat daily would be the variable or "test group" which is compared against the BMR. It gets a little foggy when I think in terms of CICO to create the deficit because my brain wants to add that up. For example calories-in would be 1500 and calories-out thru exercise would be 300 that leaves me at a net of 1200. My brain thinks that is still a positive number and I need to exercise and burn 1800 to add the numbers together to create a 300 calorie deficit (1500 minus 1800). However, I think I need to add the BMR number to my net calories of 1200 and compare that. Let's have the BMR be 1700 that would create a 500 calorie deficit against my net calories of 1200. I think I understand it that way, but in a flash, everything can go foggy again. I just need to continue to learn more and over time I will understand this better.

I read in the message boards this lady who is a retired dietician says that as adults we don't spend money nilly-willy without looking at our checkbook balance, so we need the same principle when it comes to calorie counting and the amount of food we eat daily. That totally made sense to me and made me realize that I will need to count and track calories for the rest of my life.

I am not going on the 1200 calorie diet this time around. I am actually trying to learn how to set my "maintenance" calories now. Which is difficult since I am not sure exactly how to do that. However, what I have done is taken the healthy weight range for my BMI that MFP says I should have, and then I plugged those numbers in the BMR calculator. So I took BMR numbers for 130, 140 and 150 pounds and times that by 1.25 to set my calorie range. Right now I have my calorie range goal set at 1500 per day.

I also plan to make sure I always net 1200 calories as I am getting ready to start getting back on my treadmill. There was a couple of times I woke up when I was on the 1200 calorie and I got so weak I could not stand up and felt like I was going to pass out the second I got out of bed. Those two incidents happened when it was that time of the month and I was also walking 3 miles a day on my treadmill. I think my body wasn't getting enough calories because I was afraid to eat back my exercise calories. Needless to say, I don't want to do that again, and there was other times if I was late eating a meal I would start to feel weak and get the shakes, so this time I plan on making sure I always net 1200 a day.

Wow, I have typed a lot more than I planned to. I am planning to lose 2 pounds a week, that is my weekly goal and from what I have read 2 pounds (at the maximum) a week is a safe number to lose. Which at that rate this is going to take about 10 months to a year to lose, so I am in the long haul and looking to find a group with people needing to lose weight over a period of time.

• Yoolypr
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I’ve lost 100+ lbs am am working on the last 25. The best advice I can give you is to take your time and make small changes at first. That way you’ll develop habits you can sustain for life. This has to be a lifelong change not a temporary diet.