What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just started (and finished) A Painted House by John Grisham. This wasn't one of his legal thrillers. I started it at night and finished the next night, it was about 13 hours long, a good audiobook to spend the day with doing Saturday chores. It was about a boy (age 7) growing up on a cotton farm in Arkansas in 1952. Pretty good book.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Hidden Palace (The Golem and the Jinni #2) by Helene Wecker. Just started yesterday, I am enjoying it so far, as I did book 1.
  • Nanb3447
    Nanb3447 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have read “A Painted House”, and actually read it a few times. I got it from the library when they sell damaged books.
    Currently reading “The Next Everest” by Jim Davidson. It is a non-fiction book about a mountain climber and his quest to summit Everest.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,347 Member
    Options
    Just started The Bohemians by Jasmin Darznik. It's interesting and breezy.
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Just started Dune - Frank Herbert.

Believe it or not I have never read this one. Looking forward to the series and want to get the first one read before I watch the new movie.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Marked in Flesh (A Novel of the Others Book 4) by Anne Bishop. This is a unique fantasy series that was recommended to me. I get a lot of enjoyment and escapism from the different fantasy worlds in fiction that I tend to gravitate toward (SFF).
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »
    Just started Dune - Frank Herbert.

Believe it or not I have never read this one. Looking forward to the series and want to get the first one read before I watch the new movie.

I have read the first three books, and I loved them. Some people say book two is weak but I liked it. I also liked the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series of Dune with William Hurt. I did not like the first Dune movie, maybe the new one will be better?

After book three the reviews are mixed as well, but I would like to read some of Brian Herbert's Dune Saga work so I think it is important to finish Frank's Dune series first.
  • Nanb3447
    Nanb3447 Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I am reading Billy Summers by Stephen King. No sci-fi or gore.
  • Btrflydog
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Thanks Catfish_fan

I've heard other people say the mini-series was good. I'll have to see if I can stream it somewhere.

• FitMary202
    Options
    The Good Daughter by Jasmin Darznik
  • Hanoverlady1
    Hanoverlady1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Twisted Tea Christmas by Laura Childs. A bonus was the several pages of tea resources.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. This 1956 sci-fi is an aged classic, considered by some to be one of the best in the genre. For an old sci-fi it is holding up quite well for me, with only a few dated references to obsolete tech such as data tapes.
  • Hanoverlady1
    Options
    Reading "The Boys" by Ron and Clint Howard. I'm about 75% of the way through and am enjoying it very much. I didn't realize that Clint did as much acting as he did.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Historical fiction, World War II, Pacific 1945. Jeff Shaara, The Final Storm. I have liked every Jeff Shaara novel, they tell a historical story through the eyes and thoughts of people, some historical figures, and it is fiction because we can not know what those people thought or went through exactly. Pulls one into a historical event.
  • FitMary202
    Options

Jasmin Darznik, Song of a Captive Bird. The interesting, though strange and sad, fictionalized version of the real-life Iranian poet and film director Forough Farrokhzad.

Catfish Fan, I've liked everything by Jeff Shaara too!

• Catfish_Fan
    Options

Child of Light, the new fantasy book by Terry Brooks (my fav. author, going back to my high school days).

• Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Killing Fog by Jeff Wheeler. This is a selection from Kindle Unlimited.
  • Hanoverlady1
    Options
    ""Lone Stars" by Justin Deabler. This is his debut, a semi-autobiographical novel. I hope for more from him.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Buried World (The Grave Kingdom, #2) by Jeff Wheeler. This is book 2 of the trilogy from KU. I am disappointed to see that book 3 is there in kindle format but not audio in KU anymore. I would have to purchase the final book from Audible to listen to the end. Rats.
  • Btrflydog
    Options

I have read the first three books, and I loved them. Some people say book two is weak but I liked it. I also liked the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series of Dune with William Hurt. I did not like the first Dune movie, maybe the new one will be better?

After book three the reviews are mixed as well, but I would like to read some of Brian Herbert's Dune Saga work so I think it is important to finish Frank's Dune series first.

I just watched the new Dune movie - it ends halfway through the first book - I heard they have been given the go ahead for the second movie. Ok - not nearly as good as the book.