Downsizers Team Chat JANUARY 2022

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,227 Member
    Options

Welcome back Mari ...So happy to have you re-join us ... I took 2 months off from logging due to being burned out ... worst mistake I could have made... Not sure why I thought I could to do ...I gained and gained and gained all of December ...This will be the year that we succeed ..We got this :)

Are you wanting to be back on the step challenge? If so please give me a step pledge ...Thank you

Thank you Megan. We sure do got this!
    💪🏻♥️👍🏻

And yes I would like to join the step challenge again. I will pledge 10,000 steps a day.

Awesome I will add you now :)
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,823 Member
    Options
    1. Tell us a little about yourself?

I am a 51yo married lady. My husband and I have been married 30 yrs. We have 3 adult kids. Both boys are married and our daughter still is with us. We homeschooled all of the kids thru highschool. Sending them into police academy, college, and the military was very hard. We lost 3 of our beloved pets this year. I only have psycho dog left. He is a blue heeler and he will bite you for no reason at all. He is getting better about minding his teeth. I treat him like a child with autism. My oldest child is autistic so I should know how to manage a dog that acts out very similarly. I have had him 8 years and cannot think about getting rid of him. In short he has trained me to deal with each of the many triggers, so is it he is getting better or is it me that is being trained to deal with him???

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?

In 2012 looking at pictures of me during my son's graduation I felt like I looked like Baron Harkonnen. I guess struggling to get him through school had taken a toll on my body. I began my journey to lose and did well at first. I went from 281 to 245. Then plateaued and then my body began adapted to the calories I was putting in. I regained up to 272 before I declared that enough was enough in 2017. I began by healing my metabolism. First 2 years I was losing weight eating close to my TDEE I have never made it to TDEE but close. Then I decided to deal with my allergies so I got rid of wheat, yeast, and dairy. Yes I had been allergy tested and yes I am allergic to those and have acquired a new one honey. They said I even reacted to glucose so they really were worried I was diabetic but I am not. I now wonder if it was my skin reacting or was it my vasculitis. However I know my breathing problems are directly related to the main 4 offenders. My diet is high protein since fresh meat is not an allergen. This change I dropped from 245 to 225.
    I am currently weighing 211-214 with fluxes
    3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?

I eat for emotional reasons. Yes boredom is an emotion. I eat when stressed and I do have times when things compile that I call it eff it eats. I used to binge and starve so I know that by eating by schedule is best. But now after surgery (Large abdominal tumor not bariatric.) I hurt if I eat much at all. If I drink too much water it hurts. I know its only been 2 weeks but still.
    4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb

Tried Keto and it sent all my cholesterol levels through the roof. So low fat low carb is my diet to which I am still trying master since changing up in October.

5. What is your favourite way to workout?

I love lifting, hiking, paddling, scuba, swimming. Until I can get back to my regular work out I am riding my recumbent.

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year?

This month try to keep my diet with in macros and still lose some weight. This year ride, paddle, swim 2022 miles. That is workout miles. 5.5 mile everyday. I want to get down to Onederland.

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?
    I enjoy the accountability and the encouragement.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi guys! It’s official. We are in a modified lockdown and the pool is closing. I am sad as the pool provides pain relief, awesome exercise and is so good for my mental health. I am going to have to figure out away to get some form of exercise. I will attempt 4 or 5 mini walks each day. I have my physio which will help me stretch out of water. I am considering switching my physio to a facility that offers aqua therapy. With that being said I need to modified my step goal. @Megan_smartiepants1970 please set my step pledge to 4K for now. Bottom line it is what it is!

I am sorry Linda ... I hope it isn't closed for too long .. Maybe look up Leslie Sansone walking dvd's I absolutely love her ... she has many videos/dvd's from 1 mile to 7 miles(easy to more challenging... I will change your step goal
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    v8oz0rros5rz.png

Here is my 2nd reminder of the steps I need ... Please have them in no later than Monday evening 1/3/22 so that I can do December's week4 and the grand finale ...Thank you for your cooperation :)

@tahm42 12/26- 1/1
  • tahm42
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    12/26- 4172
    12/27-4645
    12/28-2603
    12/29-7050
    12/30-6693
    12/31-5415
    1/1-7083
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,527 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi guys! It’s official. We are in a modified lockdown and the pool is closing. I am sad as the pool provides pain relief, awesome exercise and is so good for my mental health. I am going to have to figure out away to get some form of exercise. I will attempt 4 or 5 mini walks each day. I have my physio which will help me stretch out of water. I am considering switching my physio to a facility that offers aqua therapy. With that being said I need to modified my step goal. @Megan_smartiepants1970 please set my step pledge to 4K for now. Bottom line it is what it is!

I am sorry Linda ... I hope it isn't closed for too long .. Maybe look up Leslie Sansone walking dvd's I absolutely love her ... she has many videos/dvd's from 1 mile to 7 miles(easy to more challenging... I will change your step goal

A friend gave me a number of a physio that offers classes twice a week for therapeutic exercises. It is in a neighbouring town but I can ride with her. It’s a holiday today so I hope to get accepted into the program tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed again.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @mszoueb
    Love the clean slate analogy. The lightbulb clicked so there is nothing stopping you now. Did you decide on the meal service yet?

@Pippin20206
    Don’t be angry. Have compassion for yourself and move forward. I was taught this when I was learning how to heal from my binge eating.

@peng123
    Awesome exercise! Stay safe with the weather.

@Morethanjustanumber
    Fantastic steps!

@mari_moulin
    It is so nice to see your smile! Awesome first check in of 2022. Knowing you for the last few years I know you are a strong lady who can accomplish your goals.

@jimboden3
    Yes, the weighers in the first few days of the year can be holding some holiday cheer weight. Keep rowing and logging the weight loss will follow.

@tahm42
    I love that so much of your exercise involves water.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options

A friend gave me a number of a physio that offers classes twice a week for therapeutic exercises. It is in a neighbouring town but I can ride with her. It’s a holiday today so I hope to get accepted into the program tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed again.

Sounds awesome ..Crosses fingers eyes and toes that you get accepted :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    I have been busy re-arranging my kitchen ... then as soon as Alyssa is out of school we are going to go for our walk .. it was 32 this morning so we didn't go at 6am like we planned .. I am terrified of falling when it is icy ..back to finish up my kitchen
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    I have been busy re-arranging my kitchen ... then as soon as Alyssa is out of school we are going to go for our walk .. it was 32 this morning so we didn't go at 6am like we planned .. I am terrified of falling when it is icy ..back to finish up my kitchen

Be careful when it’s icy. It’s funny when I think of California I picture sun. I just said to my husband maybe I would do the loop around the apartment building but he is terrified I will fall because I am such a klutz. We have snow and it can get slippery on the walk ways.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options

Be careful when it’s icy. It’s funny when I think of California I picture sun. I just said to my husband maybe I would do the loop around the apartment building but he is terrified I will fall because I am such a klutz. We have snow and it can get slippery on the walk ways.

It is sunny and 52 degrees now ...we have snow on the mountains quite low too ... I really want to move to Colorado but more than 1000 big homes burned near boulder due to 100 mph winds recently .........so sad :/
  • mszoueb
    mszoueb Posts: 155 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @mszoueb
    Love the clean slate analogy. The lightbulb clicked so there is nothing stopping you now. Did you decide on the meal service yet?

Yeah I've started the meal prep today for this month, will look into next month this week whilst discount is on.

I'm slightly annoyed at myself this evening - I did about 1hr 20 min or so mountain biking at various inclines with friends, it was really muddy too so was quite a workout alongside the additional walking and then unexpectedly invited to have evening meal together. I could have said no thanks, it did cross my mind to do so in line of prep, but with bike transporting etc it would have been logistically awkward to head back home.

It was a real life moment to be had, now I can get back to it going forward. I haven't ate a lot today, but of course can't know the calories of the food or how much I burnt cycling. These 3 days have taken a knock on structure as part of my meal prep is missing so awaiting delivery too. I may have to freeze some of the meals.

I thought that great stick to the cals whole month and should lose at least 4 pounds, but will have to see, above all else it was great to get out on bike again.
  • tahm42
    Options

@tahm42
    I love that so much of your exercise involves water.

I am a warm weather and waterbaby from way back. Literally, my hubby will not participate if water is not involved. He needs exercise very much.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Re-arranging my kitchen is done ..155 minutes burned 409 cals...Didn't eat lunch due to not being hungry (not complaining) my bulletproof coffee in the morning keeps me full ...dinner is 1/2 of a new york steak....salad and 1/2 of a baked potato with butter and sour cream ( I am partial keto at this time since there is a lot of stuff to be eaten and I do not expect Alyssa to eat it all ) as long as I measure it out I should be fine :) ...Going on our walk soon ...It has been a productive day .. the tv hasn't even been on today which is unusual LOL
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 please add me to the step challenge this month. Am pretty sedentary in the winter so will pledge 2,000 steps.
    01/03 1 mile in 17 m 10s. 45 mins. Strength training, moderate effort.

It is clear and sunny 6 degrees with the wind coming from the south. Hopefully will warm up a little more today. The rec center was full of kids playing basketball with a few using the climbing walls. School will start up tomorrow here. Would love to have enough upper body strength to do the climbing. Have to work on improving strength and fitness then we’ll see.
  • sweetlady9783
    sweetlady9783 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Here is a daily update from me...

I did well with my eating. I haven't binged in over a week now, so I am proud of myself for that. I was able to walk 2 miles today. I could have done more, but my legs and feet were hurting a bit too much. Tomorrow after work I will get my daily 3 miles in. Plus the usual 10,000+ steps I usually take at work. (I work in a kitchen and on my feet for 8 hours.)

I hope everyone has had a wonderful day and keep up the great work!!
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    1. Tell us about yourself.

Hey everyone. Wow! I'm not on the boards a few days and 6 pages! Happy 2022.

I'm 53 in the typically beautiful but recently freezing cold Pacific Northwest. I'm married, but we have a long distance thing and so it's just me and my dog 5 or 6 days a week (she's an almost 5 year old Husky/Shepherd mix.)

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?

Well, my highest weight about 15 years ago was close a bit over 240 and I was pretty hopeless about it. Then I discovered that it was related to a health issue that was easily corrected and with a little attention I dropped down to around 155, which honestly, I think is a good weight for me. I feel good at that weight and can still eat! And I love to eat. :)

In the past 5 years I've had some depressive 'bouts, my episodes of binge eating skyrocketed, I went through menopause, yada, yada, yada...and yep. Had about 50lbs sneak back on. In August 2021 after seeing some videos of myself I decided that I needed to regain control. Since then, I've dropped about 30lbs. November and December were total busts in terms of weight loss.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?

Sugar and other white foods are definitely triggers. I can (and will) eat them until I'm physically ill. I don't buy them, but sometimes (like the last few days) when I my anxiety rises, I order delivery and binge out. I've been binging out the last two days. :(

Since September, I've been practicing mindfulness and meditation to address my stress and anxiety and cognitive distortions. I also eat a mix of low carb/keto. Both of these things help a lot.

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb

Low carb/keto and calorie tracking. I track a weekly amount of calories with the goal to stay around 8400 from Saturday to Friday of each week. I appreciate the flexibility of doing it over a week.

5. What is your favourite way to workout?

Really, I hate working out! LOL When the weather's decent (not now) I walk 30-60 minutes a day with the dog. I have to keep changing it up or I just stop. I was working out with my virtual reality headset a lot in September and October but that fell off. I just got an exercise bike and enjoy doing that (for now) and there are some virtual rides I can do but I'm waiting for a sensor that I need.

6. What are some of your goals this month? Year?

January
    - drink 120 oz of water daily
    - bike at least 3 miles 5X/week (this is on my new exercise bike!)
    - stay under weekly calorie goal (8400)
    - stay within daily macro goals 5X/wk
    - log all calories 6X/wk

For the year? Well, let's just see how January goes! :)

7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?

[/b]

Just a place to come and read the triumphs and struggles of other people, to know I'm not alone in it. Accountability...pretty much what other folks have said.

Finally,
    My weigh in day: Friday
    December 31 (last Friday) weigh in: 168.9
    Goal weight for January 31: 160

Thanks for reading! I'm excited for the month!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Is there anyone else that would like to be added to the step challenge? Please remember that I have a converter chart that I can convert almost anything into steps :)
  • tslose
    tslose Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    tslose wrote: »
    If anyone else wants to be added, removed, excused from the step challenge.. please let me know as soon as you can ...Thank you :)

Did you get me?

I did with a 10,000 step goal ...if you could post your steps for 1/2/22 that would be greatly appreciated :)

1/2 did make first day - darn. 8372
This discussion has been closed.