Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a good weekend at all, diet-wise. :( I did so well Monday through Thursday last week, but Friday, Saturday, and Sunday fell apart. I found myself extremely hungry too early in the day, so while I let myself have a sensible, reasonable breakfast on those days, once I started eating, the drive to keep munching was too much for me to resist, and I found myself browsing the rest of the day, and I know I went way over my calorie limits. No amount of guilting, pleading, sternly admonishing, bargaining would stop it.

At least I got a lot of chores done - gathered the garbage, put up shelving in the kitchen, moved 100+ quart jars of food into the kitchen because the shelves they were on before weren't strong enough to hold them, cleaned up the kitchen, and a few other things I can't quite remember now on Saturday, and then yesterday, I cleaned the bathrooms including scrubbing down the shower with a magic eraser, did some vacuuming, mopped the whole house, fed the birds, dug out my snow shovel and propane heater, and a few other odds n ends. So I was moving around the house both days most of the day.

Still, I can't be having weekends like this where I wipe out all my progress I make the week before in 2 days' time.

Today is supposed to be a full fast day, though that insidious voice that wants to much is already awake. And its brain driven entirely because my tummy is perfectly content and not given me any rumblings at all - the coffee was plenty for the tummy, but not for the brain. Grrrrr!

Even though the wind is still high here and its still snowing, if its stays a light snow, I may go out and start shoveling the 4+ inches we have on the ground now just so I have some exercise in!

What's sad is that I'm much more interested in shoveling snow than I am getting on my elliptical. And this summer, we are going to install a wood stove for our house which means we have to cut wood for next spring, and I'm actually looking forward to it because I find I enjoy the strenuous labor involved - including splitting most of it by hand!

Normal daily work seems to be what I am most interested in and enjoy doing but the problem is-the house chores, mowing the lawn, gardening, building things - the physical labor such as that is what I like to do. But my darned job gets in the way with my 9 hours a day desk job. Working from home has helped some because I can take a break and wash dishes or do a quick sweeping job, or even flex my schedule a bit to mow the lawn before the rain, but that only helps so much. That and I just feel so tired all the time, so getting myself going is a huge mental battle. Once I get started, I keep on rolling until the job is done, but getting started is NOT easy!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    So glad the exercises seem to be working, Yooly. Hope they keep on being worth the effort!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I am staying under 1500 calories today…..pre planned food, etc…..I can do this!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Good for you, Connie!
    We got to get back on this train.
    I'm teetering back and forth - between my goal 1650 - and knuckling down to something more extreme because I have done nothing but gain this week despite being close to 1650 most days....
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    BMeadows, you did so well losing weight simply counting calories before….I can’t fast…..I don’t eat breakfast but by noon I am ready to eat….I do most of my eating from 5 p.m. to 830 p.m……has your husband tried the South Beach Diet?….it is basically no carbs and good for a lot of people….I usually prepare my dinner and then add or subtract something for husband….
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I couldn’t do fasting either. When I have to fast for lab work later in the day,I end up wanting to eat everything. So I try to schedule those tests very early.
    As physically hard as you work BMeadows, I don’t know how you continue to function without fuel!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    BMeadows, you did so well losing weight simply counting calories before….I can’t fast…..I don’t eat breakfast but by noon I am ready to eat….I do most of my eating from 5 p.m. to 830 p.m……has your husband tried the South Beach Diet?….it is basically no carbs and good for a lot of people….I usually prepare my dinner and then add or subtract something for husband….

The 60 lbs I lost in 2020 was done through a lot of walking, though. I was getting in at least 1 1/2 hours of walking 5 days a week or more, with some cardio thrown in as well. My problem that I've found is that I couldn't sustain it - I hate the amount of time it took to keep it going and then when the weather turned I couldn't get out anymore and make myself do it anymore. And now I can't get it restarted. nor can I seem to find the control to stick to a calorie limit anymore. Which is why I'm trying the fasting thing once or twice a week. The calorie limit is based on a weekly deficit of 7,000 a week for 2 lbs of fat loss. So if I can't stick to the 1500 calorie limit per day, then if I can instead have 2 days where I'm 1,000 calories under, I can eat 1800 a day on the other 5 days.

I'm just trying it out for now because nothing else seems to work! But on days like today where I get a big bunch of physically activity in, I know that I need to eat so my body can repair itself properly, so instead of fasting today, I instead am eating to the 1800 and not counting any of the exercise calories. If I get a change to shovel more snow tomorrow, then I won't fast then either; otherwise, if I stay inside and stay sedentary tomorrow, then tomorrow will be my fasting day instead.

My husband is doing even lower than South Beach. I had looked into South Beach, but its actually considered low carb, but not very low carb. His ideal would be less than 20 carbs a day for a 2 to 3 week period, then less than 50 after that, though we still haven't managed to achieve that yet.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    BMeadows I have missed you!…..this summer I was swimming five or six days a week….right now it is too cold even with the pool heated!…I still hate R. Simmons…..he kills me!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    BMeadows I have missed you!…..this summer I was swimming five or six days a week….right now it is too cold even with the pool heated!…I still hate R. Simmons…..he kills me!

:) My husband LOVES to swim and would be very envious to know you can do that! The closest pool to us is going to be 25 miles away, if it every opens.....

Still, we are considering a membership to see if that can encourage us to get more activity in!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    You go, @bmeadows380 !!!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Bmeadows you are one remarkable woman! I don’t envy your dealing with the snow. I’m a transplanted northerner and have done my share of shoveling over the years. As pretty as that first snowfall is, I can’t say I miss snow as a day to day drudgery. Shoveling out the paths and driveway, shoveling out the car, driving in whiteouts and the constant cold. NOoooo 🥶
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Fingers crossed you find your castle soon, Athijade. Househunting is so very stressful.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Buying a house is kind of like interviewing for a new job. You look, get your hopes up, envision yourself in the house, think about fix ups to make comfortable for you. And then you don’t get the house! It’s a big emotional investment and exhausting.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Had a friend about 20 years ago now who he and his wife (human resource recruiter and investigative reporter respectively) turned it into a full time equivalent job for 16 months.

Files, notes, comparisons, plus and minuses, what they went for in the end. Every weekend viewings. Some evenings too! They only made three offers in that time including the one they got and proceeded to fix up substantially (with the guy breaking concrete and moving it out with a wheelbarrow!) before moving in!!!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We have lived in 4 different cities and 14 or 15 houses in 46 years….the smallest was 1200 sq ft and the largest over 6700 sq ft….we now live in a 2400 sq ft house that is adequate for the 6 of us….I do miss the huge kitchens we had and the pools and beachside living but I don’t plan on moving again unless I go to a nursing home lol….the only good thing about moving so much is that you keep your closets cleaned out….