Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the flower praise! Painting didn't work today - shoulder/arm is still a bit screechy when I try to hold my hand that high for any length of time. Next week!

The world is a weird place right now - stock of the most unexpected things are running low.
    Hope this machine works well for you, PAV. And that it fits in the mini van and that helping hands are there to help you get it inside and hooked up!

Connie - I'm envious of your laundry room! My place has no utility room - so that laundry and water heater is in the bathroom. It fits and looks fine - but it would be nice to have a space that could just be messy and I wouldn't have to look at it day to day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thanks Laurie! I did try to rescue the most excellent whirlpool gallery this one is replacing. Bought as scratch and dent a "few" years back and it has worked flawlessly until the water pump died last week. But it wasn't just the water pump. And a new dial mechanism is in the $500 range. So taking the restocking and shipping hit on the water pump and turfing the whole thing :disappointed:

Flowers will come up great next week! :love:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That is pretty frustrating. I hate replacing once good appliances.
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hmmmm...... I do admire your dream-agination! That's pretty dang good. Please note that I'm most motivated to invent replacement low cal deserts when eating at a deficit. Almost never when eating at a surplus which tends to involve their more cal cousins!🤣😹

if it does continue.... take two aspirins and perform a hunger level gut check on aisle 3!

By the way, if you're a doctor (or even not), ASAasa, asaasa, and ASAASA are NOT great passwords!!!!🤣😹🤣
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Laurie, that painting is AMAZING! Like I want one! So beautiful. You are very talented.

I love to paint, but I am not very good at it. So I am jealous!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Bella - what a dream. Imagine that you were going to eat-nothing-but-sea-kelp for 6 months! Thank goodness the chefs and store made an appearance.

PAV - you crack me up and sometimes I dont even know why.

Thank you, Athijade. These flowers are (were) coming along - I'm really enjoying them too. I'm going to miss this painting when it finally goes home. Saying you are not very good at painting is almost like a proper artist badge I think. We have to question/doubt our work for it to progress. Maybe share some of your work here too?
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Strange and arcane rituals were performed in a dilapidated basement as propriation to the electromechanical providers of clean clothes.

Will these insane rituals bear fruit? Or will the clothes of 8 people and towels of one canine continue to bear the stains of past fruits?

Only time will tell!

3mcggb7ds3mi.png
  • PAV8888
    Options
    (downstairs tenants couple + adult brother + three kids + flatmate + dog)
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,973 Member
    Options
    Bella - what a dream. Imagine that you were going to eat-nothing-but-sea-kelp for 6 months! Thank goodness the chefs and store made an appearance.

Laurie, you're incorrigible! The nightmarish, unsettling quality of the dream came from my gorging response to the unlimited smorgasbord of high calorie crap, not the prospect of 6 months of healthy, nutritious sea-kelp. :D:D
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    PAV, can't beat a top loading washing machine! Finding one in the UK outside of a laundrette (laundromat for you folks across the pond) is like finding hen's teeth. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could find a domestic one...they are soooooo much better at getting clothes clean than a front loader drum machine.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    PAV - looks like we’ve got the same washer from Lowe’s! I got mine in June and have been happy with it. Especially the Speed Wash cycle for not too dirty things. Works well on big stuff too like king size comforters on Bedding cycle. Hope you got it hooked up by now. Happy washing. 🥼👗👚👙👕👘
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I still have my washer dryer set I got in 2004 when I moved to PA for my first job out of college :) I love that washing machine - regular old top loader, but she's stood up to 18 years of wear and tear and I've only had to replace the lid switch and the water pump once each. The repair tech told me they didn't make 'em like that anymore and he suggested that as long as I could get parts, to keep it going.

The dryer with it has been an excellent appliance, too. I've never had to do anything for it. I thought an element was out in it a few weeks ago, but mom said to check the lint trap on the outside vent, and sure enough, it was clogged. I cleaned it out and the dryer has been working fine!

Finally, a beautiful, sunny day! Hubby and I are headed to town today to take some odds n ends to my sister who is staying with her boyfriend while she is recovering from Covid. Hubby wants to stop at Aldi's and I need to get some bird seed if I can find it!

On the supply chain issues: I'd say brace yourself because its only going to get worse, when you watch the news on what is going on around the world. And its going to be getting more and more expensive, too. I saw yesterday that some companies were already announcing price hikes on products. Gas is creeping up again, too.

This is why my husband and I have plans to put in a much bigger garden this year and are trying to get together with other gardeners in the church to start up a harvest club to see if others would be willing to grow extra if they have the room and share amongst ourselves. for instance, if one person has the room to grow extra potatoes or extra green beans or squashes or whatever, they could either swap with someone else who can grow good tomatoes or pumpkins, or they can get together with someone in the church who would like to have home grown veggies but either don't have the time, space, or ability to grow themselves. We are floating the idea too that for folks who'd liked to have home canned veggies but don't have canners, we could have a harvest day dinner with those in the church who do, have the person bring the jars and lids, come to the fellowship hall, and we all work on getting the beans or whatever ready and can them for whoever wants them.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Bmeadows that sounds wonderful!…I sadly can’t grow anything….not one houseplant survives….

Prices here are outrageous….the housing market is insane….houses in our neighborhood are selling for 2 and 3 hundred thousand more than we paid for ours three years ago…and people are outbidding others jacking up the prices more than the selling prices….

Groceries are so high I don’t know how some people are able to afford to eat…

I think more and more families will start living together and sharing gardens like you are planning….I know our daughter and son in law would not be able to enjoy their lifestyle if we didn’t share expenses with them…
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    I think it's a global thing. We only bought this house in August 2020, and our neighbour's house has just sold for twice what we paid for ours (despite being in much poorer condition and having less garden).

Fuel prices are crippling. Diesel is £1.55/litre and regular unleaded is £1.46/litre. Do you folks buy your fuel in gallons? If so, that equates to $5.87 per US gallon for diesel or $5.53 per USgallon for unleaded. It's a good motivator to run errands by bicycle.
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    So quite an interesting comparison of perceptions across both sides of the Atlantic.

Skydiving Garfield believes that top loaders clean better. My perception was that they do not clean appreciably worse even though gravity is not assisting the cleaning of the clothes like it does with a side loader.

Furthermore reduced water consumption is of marginal interest at my present location since because of the rain potable water is plentiful and it is unmetered, paid on a flat yearly fee. And electrical consumption appeared to be marginally worse.

However the mechanical stress on the side loader rear bearing and on the seals and the more complicated gearing mechanism makes me hope that the top loader will last longer.

Not sure about the newfangled lack of agitator but the extra space looks inviting too in terms of being able to fit towels and comforters

Another major issue was frankly availability.

This model was the only one that was available that was in any sort of top performing list which pretty much closed the deal!

Thank you @Yoolypr for telling me that you're happy with yours and that you approve of the short cycle. I did use the short cycle myself and was perfectly satisfied.

Working on using our examples to get Sawsan to try it!

She seems to have this fixation about monochromatic clothes needing different handling than polychromatic ones--an attitude I'm telling her is unjustified without further trials, especially since I usually only bother to separate out clothes that require higher temperature 😘
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Garfield is asleep, Connie has already had her pizza dinner, and Slowpoke and I are out for the first meanderings of the day!
    x3qrnkd88j76.jpg

• Bella_Figura
    Options
    Who’s asleep? :s
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Who’s asleep? :s

GARFIELD!!!!! It's 3:00am! :anguished: To BED you go! And if you're dreaming of ANTI-KELP... we'll talk in the morning ;)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I kind of like being incorrigible! :D