March 2022 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Got a run in yesterday, working on running a little faster which means meds. I’m making progress, did a slightly fast mile and it felt hard but not like it cooked me, the way it did the first time with the meds. I am still working on recovery - because the meds make my heart work less than it needs to, if I get into an oxygen deficit I have a heck of a time recovering. But that is getting better as well, I only had to walk about a tenth of a mile to recover instead of like, a quarter mile the first time I tried it. I will get the hang of this yet.

Also, I am fat which is making me slow. I’m still technically normal BMI but way over my “panic weight” and need to double down. Running less is doing a number on me. According to my logging I should be within my calories but clearly running has more impact than the numbers would suggest. I don’t want to eat less so I need to run more!

Lifting today, was planning on running tomorrow before the snow hits but they keep moving the snow up and I don’t think I can get a run in. So it may be a couple of days of unplanned rest. I will have to do an extra dance class or something.

@kgirlhart Re: monthly question. I can’t stand running to music when outside, I like to hear the world around me. Squirrels, chickadees, cardinals, owls. However I do play a soundtrack in my head, usually with a running theme. One of my favorite long run songs is “Float on,” and another is “God’s Gonna cut you down,” by the Golden Gate Quartet. Not the Johnny Cash version, although I love it, it’s not a good pace for running!

I do listen to music when stuck on a treadmill or a stationary bike. Anything loud that I can sing to. The other day it was Adam Ant.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,947 Member
    @rheddmobile I'm glad you are dialing in the meds and able to run more like you want to. I'm with you on gaining weight when I don't/can't exercise/run. I snickered when you said that you don’t want to eat less so you need to run more. That's me in a nutshell. :lol:

My answer to the monthly question is that I do like to listen to music when I run outside. I have the Trekz Titanium headphones so I can hear what is going on around me too. I think if I ran on a lot of trails, I would not wear them as much. When I run on the treadmill I either listen to music or watch some old classic show on TV. I guess I really don't have a favorite song and don't worry about the tempo, even though I probably should. I love 70's music and Southern Gospel.
  • rheddmobile
    edited March 2022
    So annoyed with the weather forecast! It said 80% chance of sleet by 3 pm so I made other plans. It’s now 4:44 and they are saying no sleet until almost 7. I could have run if the forecast had been accurate!
  • quilteryoyo
    3-1 - 1.0 mile walk on the driveway
    3-2 - 1.0 mile walk - 2.50 mile run out the road
    3-3 - 2.0 mile walk in the neighbor's field looking for cows
    3-4 - 1.0 mile walk - 1.8 mile run on the driveway
    3-5 - 1.0 mile walk - 2.75 mile run out the road
    3-6 - 1.0 mile walk in the neighbor's field
    3-7 - 1.0 mile walk - 2.0 mile run out the road
    3-8 - 1.0 mile walk on the driveway
    3-9 - 1.0 mile walk on the treadmill
    3-10 - 1.0 mile walk on the driveway
    3-11 - 2.0 mile Wun on the driveway

22.05 miles/60 mile goal

I played doubles tennis this morning with the talkative group. ..and there was more talking today than usual. While playing, I was asked if I could come into work after I finished, so I worked from 1 to after 3:30. It was still 66°F and clear when I got home at 5:00, so I went out to enjoy the weather before the snow hits tonight! I didn't want to run a lot, so I did a 2 mile wun. It felt good. I dread tomorrow and Sunday's temperatures. I may have to pretend I'm a bear and hibernate. Anyone want to join me?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
    @quilteryoyo I felt like hibernating today. Although the snow/ice storm never came, it stayed and a constant 34F all day with gusty winds and a feel-like temp in the low 20s. Downright balmy for most of you, but that is cold enough to cause me physical pain.

So I did 7 miles on the treadmill this afternoon.

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    March Goal: 100 Miles

3/1: 5.15 miles
    3/2: 5.16 miles
    3/3: 5.16 miles
    3/4: 2.02 miles
    3/5: 1.61 miles
    3/6: 8.10 miles
    3/7: 2.02 miles
    3/8: 5.60 miles
    3/9: 5.15 miles
    3/10: 5.15 miles
    3/11: 1.51 miles

45.63/100 miles completed for March

Just a quick 1.5 mile run this morning. We didn't get the wintry mix they predicted, but it was really cold. It was just 31°F, but the 17 mph winds made it feel like 19°.

exercise.png

• rheddmobile
    @kgirlhart and @Scott6255 I guess y’all’s snow came here! We got it later than forecast but I just measured my picnic table out back and there is a full 6” on the tabletop. The roads aren’t bad due to it being warm but the grass, trees, and sidewalks are fairly deep.

It’s supposed to get up into the high 30’s tomorrow so it will have melted by the time I get up, so my husband and I went out for a midnight snow walk. Two and a half miles walking through powder is a decent workout! So, missed a run today but not a total bust. It was pretty, and very peaceful being the only thing stirring.

Saw a big old opossum out back while I was measuring the snow. Poor cold beastie! It didn’t even run away, just looked at me, like “This is totally unfair.” It was trying to dig through the snow for bugs. Just another couple days and then it should be real springtime, poor beastie!
  • quilteryoyo
    @Scott6255 I don't blame you for running on the treadmill with those conditions. The snow did arrive here overnight. We have about 3 inches of accumulation and it is still snowing. The temperature is 25F with no hope of getting any warmer today. Plus, it is breezy. Not sure what the wind chill is.....too cold to get out for long is my guess. LOL

@kgirlhart You did great to get out at all in those conditions.

@rheddmobile We had the snow came in last night, as I said above, but didn't get as much as you. It's supposed to get into the 40's here tomorrow, so it should be all gone by tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure you enjoyed the midnight snowy walk. It sounds wonderful.
  • quilteryoyo
    Sounds like you had a very nice run @Scott6255 .

If anyone is looking to purchase a new Garmin, they are having a sale right now. I just ordered the Forerunner 745 and got $50 off.
  • quilteryoyo
    Nice speedy run @kgirlhart !

You are doing great @shanaber. I hope your arm doesn't bother you too much after running. How old is Hobbes? I haven't noticed that Tippy has slowed down much, but she is turning grey. She's 9, almost 10. Hard to believe we've been together that long.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,052 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Did we ever have a monthly question for March? If not, I have one.

Do you like to listen to music when you run? And if so what are some of your favorite running songs?

I don’t listen to music, or anything else, when I run. I used to. Back then I mostly used a Spotify playlist with songs in a 170’s bpm range (something like that). After a while I just got tired of it. I do the same in my car though too. I listen to music sometimes, then not for a while. When I was young my dad would drive in silence and I always thought it was weird, but now that I’m older, I get it.
  • quilteryoyo
    @martaindale You are doing great. I love that you are helping your friend get into running. It does sound like she may be hooked. There is nothing wrong with enjoying time away from family/alone. You can get re-energized and be more patient with the teenage when they get home.

@marisap2010 Nice running. I'm glad you like the Ghosts.