3/8: 5.60 miles
    3/9: 5.15 miles
    3/10: 5.15 miles
    3/11: 1.51 miles
    3/12: 2.03 miles
    3/13: 10.10 miles
    3/14: 2.02 miles

59.78/100 miles completed for March

Just two miles today. It was a little chilly, but not too cold. Mostly it was just still windy.

@Teresa502 That race sounds like lots of fun.

@katharmonic I'm sorry your vacation was canceled and your back is acting up. Hope things start looking up soon.

@avidkeo Wow! Beautiful hike!

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo - congratulations on conquering that mountain! What an awesome view to be rewarded with at thee top! Going down like that is my worst nightmare and I thinking having hiking poles helps. That just sucks that thee soles of your hiking boots came off. I guess the good side of that is now you can go buy some new ones! I hope your knees feel better!

@marisap2010 - I 2nd using Fitzgerald's 80/20 methodology. He has specifics about keeping your training mostly easy, the 80%, and the rest at race pace or pushing your goal to build speed. Like
    @quilteryoyo mentioned it is based on HR and keeping your HR in a specific range and truly easy.

@Teresa502 - that race sounds like so much fun! I also have those same complaints with road races and have told some people, that if they want to walk fine, keep to the right and signal when you plan to start walking. Nothing like having someone stop suddenly to a walk right in from of you.

@katharmonic - it sounds to me like you need to take a self-care day. Take a day off and do what you want to do, go to a spa, get a massage, take yourself to breakfast or lunch. Don't look at emails or texts. I really hope your bf can get his heart issues addressed. I think I would be pushing the cardiologist for specifics about why they changed the treatment plan.

I got out for a short run this morning thinking it would be a great one like Saturdays. It was beautiful out and perfect temperature. Unfortunately my arm decided to be a problem again and started aching and throbbing so I walked and ran when I felt I could and tried to focus on stepping lightly on my feet. I am finding when I focus on that my form is so much better and while initially it made my legs tired I realize it is probably because I have let my form get sloppy. Had agility class tonight too and broke down and took some Tylenol before class. I haven't taken anymore a few days now not even to sleep but I don't think I could have gone otherwise.

I had my PM check today with the cardiologist and I was really curious what my max HR was as recorded by the PM. It never got above 140 in the last 6 mos which tells me my watch is not accurate. Apparently I spend the majority of time, 60%, in the 50-60 bpm range, 30% of the time between 60 and 80 bpm and less than 10% above 80 with only 1% in the 120-140 bpm range! Not sure how I would correlate training zones given that information.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    3/1 – 6.51 miles
    3/3 – 6.01 miles
    3/4 – 4.08 miles
    3/7 – 5.06 miles
    3/9 – 4.68 miles
    3/12 – 15.59 miles
    3/14 – 5.02 miles
    Total – 46.96/100 miles

I got in a 5-mile run after work yesterday. It was 65F and sunny. I had packed a long-sleeve shirt and wished I had the foresight to have also packed a short-sleeve one because long sleeve was definitely too warm.

@quilteryoyo – keeping up with 9 2 and 3-year olds seems like a workout in itself!

I hope your back problem is short-lived @katharomnic. Sorry about your BF’s delay and lack of direction in treatment. Most of really do take our health for granted until we hear about what others are dealing with. I need to practice more moments of gratitude. I agree with @shanaber – you need a self-indulgence day.

Glad you have dialed you medicine in @rheddmobile and that you are back to running your happy pace. Cute about the racoons kicking the boys out and now babies!

Interesting about your PM data @shanaber. Sorry about your shoulder continuing to hurt.

I know we are always joking about jogging vs. running on here. I read an article this morning about how a bourbon company purposefully used a jogging program, instead of a running program, to engage bartenders to get healthy during the pandemic. Here is the article if anyone wants to read: https://outsideonline.com/health/running/culture-running/people/knob-creek-jogging-club/?utm_medium=email&_hsmi=206789776&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9DFpIadOYPmt1_sJEN89QbCF-VgQqmTcoh7HTD1-d1860g_lbKOJ9ib_O4EGbe_WhcyR2QIo8xyyLZJozczTgHFxkmMTF9VnGJK09Ca6EzUVFWEMo&utm_content=206789774&utm_source=hs_email

I also saw some headlines about the Barkley Marathon and the poor guy who was so disoriented that he was found in town talking to a trash can and the sheriff had to give him a ride back to the start/finish line which I think I read was only a mile or so away.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    Options
    Big hugs to you @katharmonic . That's a lot to deal with. Sorry they have changed their mind about the stent. Just curious as to whether you have gotten a second opinion of that and if he had a heart cath. The reason I am asking is that when dad was in the hospital with his heart several years ago one cardiologist thought we could try medicine and the other thought open heart surgery was the way to go. I talked to a doctor friend of dad's and he said that you have to realize that a surgeon is going to want to do surgery and a cardiologist who doesn't do surgery is not going to recommend it. We decided if there were blockages, which we knew there were, that the medicine wasn't going to get rid of them, just maybe help the blood flow around it better. We went with open heart surgery and were glad we did. If he could see a heart surgeon, maybe you would feel better about the medicine if he agreed that was the way to go. I hope your back is feeling better today and you can get in a run today.

@rheddmobile I'm glad you have your meds dialed in and are able to run as you want to. You are doing great. Love that the momma raccoon has another litter of babies. We will be waiting for the first pictures you can get.

@shanaber That would be hard to correlate HR running zones with the pacemaker. I guess you have to go by feel. Is it hard to run when your HR stays low, or does your body adjust? I hope your arm feels better today.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    3-1 - 1.0 mile walk on the driveway
    3-2 - 1.0 mile walk - 2.50 mile run out the road
    3-3 - 2.0 mile walk in the neighbor's field looking for cows
    3-4 - 1.0 mile walk - 1.8 mile run on the driveway
    3-5 - 1.0 mile walk - 2.75 mile run out the road
    3-6 - 1.0 mile walk in the neighbor's field
    3-7 - 1.0 mile walk - 2.0 mile run out the road
    3-8 - 1.0 mile walk on the driveway
    3-9 - 1.0 mile walk on the treadmill
    3-10 - 1.0 mile walk on the driveway
    3-11 - 2.0 mile Wun on the driveway
    3-12 - 1.0 mile walk on the treadmill
    3-13 - 1.20 mile walk - 3.30 mile run on the treadmill
    3-14 - 1.00 mile walk on the driveway
    3-15 - 2.00 mile wun on the driveway

30.55 miles/60 mile goal

I had intended to run today, but I wasn't feeling it, so went for a wun instead. I'm glad I did because my breathing was off again. A two mile wun in the driveway was plenty today.

That's interesting @shanaber. I didn't realize before the pacemaker that your heart rate didn't go above the 120's. Mine averaged 149 today with a max of 178 for my wun. Interestingly, my HR went down during most of the slow running segments and was higher when I was walking. I'm glad I have the Holter Monitor on. I hope it is showing something that will explain what is going on. I'm with you on the PM data. It would be nice to have a way for you to monitor what it is doing, esp. if you aren't feeling well.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    March Goal: 100 Miles

3/1: 5.15 miles
    3/2: 5.16 miles
    3/3: 5.16 miles
    3/4: 2.02 miles
    3/5: 1.61 miles
    3/6: 8.10 miles
    3/7: 2.02 miles
    3/8: 5.60 miles
    3/9: 5.15 miles
    3/10: 5.15 miles
    3/11: 1.51 miles
    3/12: 2.03 miles
    3/13: 10.10 miles
    3/14: 2.02 miles
    3/15: 5.05 miles

64.83/100 miles completed for March

I ran 5 miles this morning. It was really nice. The temperature was around 45°F and there was some wind, but not as bad as the last couple of days. The sky was dark, but clear. There were lots of stars and a really bright, kind of lopsided moon. I was hoping to see the deer at the park but I didn't. I did see a fox though so that was cool.

@rheddmobile Glad you are getting the medicine adjusted and I love hearing about your racoon family.

exercise.png

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 thst sounds like a fun race!

@rheddmobile I’m glad to hear that you are adjusting to the meds and able to run at a better pace. Thanks for including the Strava detail. Very interesting.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @emmamcgarity I'm glad you got a diagnosis for your granddaughter. I feel for you trying to get her to keep glasses on. We have a couple of kids at daycare who wear glasses, one had them before he was one. They do get used to them, but it takes a bit. I hope they help with her speech too. Nice job with the walk and run after dinner.

Sounds like a wonderful time for a run @kgirlhart . Foxes are cool critters.
  • Teresa502
    edited March 2022
    Options
    3/1 – 6.51 miles
    3/3 – 6.01 miles
    3/4 – 4.08 miles
    3/7 – 5.06 miles
    3/9 – 4.68 miles
    3/12 – 15.59 miles
    3/14 – 5.02 miles
    3/16 – 5.14
    Total – 52.10/100 miles

For the first time in a long time, I felt good with this morning’s run. Just felt like I had a little more energy and wasn’t dragging.

I had to laugh at your turning down the radio to see where you are going comment @eleanorhawkins. Reminded me of my friend’s comment when we were running this morning. We were on a quiet street when a car pulled out quickly from a STOP sign and sped off down the street. I laughed and said “he” must have been late for work. My friend commented about all the gas that he just used in pulling out so quickly. ….we are turning into our parents… Have you seen the Progressive Insurance commercials?
    @emmamcgarity – So glad that your grandbaby had her vision problems diagnosed and glasses prescribed but I can’t imagine doing that battle with a 2-year old! A walk and run was just what you both needed!

@polskagirl01 – Missing you but I’m guessing that you have your hands full with the humanitarian efforts. Praying for all.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I just had to post this inspiring story... just in case anyone was feeling too old to keep running!

I also have a friend I used to work with (about the same age as me) who started running about the same time I did. She is amazing - made it to Boston, ran the London and Tokyo marathons and just completed her first 50k along the American River! She was the oldest of all the competitors (male or female). She is such an inspiration to me! I will never be able to match her speed or accomplishments but it shows me just what we are capable of! I have to get this arm diagnosed and healed so I can get back to it in earnest!

• Teresa502
    Options
    Love that story @shanaber and love the smile on Mildred's face!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    March total: 31.9/75 Miles

3/2: 2.1 miles
    3/4: 4.2 miles
    3/6: 3.1 miles
    3/7: 2 miles
    3/9: 5 miles
    3/11: 3.1 miles
    3/12: 4 miles, 2.2 miles
    3/14: 3.1 miles
    3/16: 3.1 miles

Uneventful but pleasant run in the wee hours this morning. The moon is so close to full and super bright. Really pretty!

Has anyone seen the legislation moving through right now about getting rid of daylight savings time nationwide? I know some folks here have mentioned struggling with dark mornings. What do y'all think about this? The latest sunrise we would get in Houston would be around 830am. That's pretty late but it would also mean that it wouldn't be dark before I leave work, so that's a plus. And, more dark runs for me!!
  • Teresa502
    edited March 2022
    Options
    3/1 – 6.51 miles
    3/3 – 6.01 miles
    3/4 – 4.08 miles
    3/7 – 5.06 miles
    3/9 – 4.68 miles
    3/12 – 15.59 miles
    3/14 – 5.02 miles
    3/16 – 5.14 miles
    3/17 – 5.20 miles
    Total – 57.3/100 miles

The moon was beautiful this morning peeking through the clouds. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

@martaindale – I did see an article about the Sunshine Protection Act. The Senate approved making daylight saving time permanent yesterday. I also read that the director of Vanderbilt Sleep Division argues that daylight savings time makes it harder to be alert in the morning. I don’t know about that but I do know the older I get, the harder time my body has adjusting to the time changes.

Interesting about the treadmill @Scott6255 – I guess it has more “give” than the pavement.

Keep us posted about your 80/20 experiment @marisap2010!