Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,615 Member
    Options
    I've been all over the map trying out different hydration/water inputs. Finally decided straw-coloured pee the ultimate indicator - plus a reasonable glass with each meal - to just add a sense of fullness until the brain gets the message. Though I know that water with meals thing breaks some rules. But no matter which way you go you are going to break someones water rules.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,779 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    And, as any dialysis patient could attest - so does food cooked in water/milk/broth that absorbs a lot of the cooking medium, such as pasta, potatoes, rice, rehydrated pulses, porridge....

Not to mention the water you use to take your medications...and soup....and ice lollies...and the ice in your G&T...

It all counts when your anuric and limited to 500mls of fluid a day FOR EVERYTHING, INCLUDING COOKING WATER.

So, really, most folks that eat and drink 'normally' probably don't need to worry that they're insufficiently hydrated...

Straw-coloured pee is thesweet spot...
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    OMG! Such a reminder of those oliguric days!! Will haunt me forever! I would have done a deal with the devil for an extra 30 mls of water!

Love the NHS and NT references Pav!

Up & personal ….My pee is usually light coloured, but never straw, lemon tinged with pink - strawberry lemonade?! Just to put you off your summer drinks!

Thank you for your insights pals… will push on with them fluids & reassured I can count my tea & drink squash ( saying FO to that purist! & if continues … well.. I will… I will close my diary, so there 😏😏😏)
  • Janatki
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 - didn’t think of those in heat! That is a lotta fluids!
    Alo fluids in foods @Bella_Figura & @PAV8888
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    Well Atki, I sincerely hope that Connie is not in heat!😻🤣😹😎 But extra perspiration probably requires extra water 😉
  • Janatki
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I would not be so rude to such a lady Think it is on heat @PAV888 🤣🤣🤣
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Janatki wrote: »
    I would not be so rude to such a lady Think it is on heat @PAV888 🤣🤣🤣

Being that I am just a poor ESL person, I figured that I might have gotten hoisted by my own petard! Thankfully Connie is a Floridian! :lol:

20pdz05horps.png

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Drinking water and keeping hydrated helps keep the wrinkles away!
  • Janatki
    Options
    @PAV8888 wrote

Being that I am just a poor ESL person, I figured that I might have gotten hoisted by my own petard! Thankfully Connie is a Floridian! :lol:

20pdz05horps.png

[/quote]

I stand corrected! I meant no offence @conniewilkins56 ☺️… Bloomin ‘eck .. (Being?) English gets us in to so much bother … and this is not taking any history into account!….

• PAV8888
    Options
    I am not going to do this justice because I'm pressed for time today.

But it is something I've often thought about. Including while I was losing weight and since then as I continue to manage my weight via loging and continuing to participate in the forums and thinking about food intake and management.

There is a post in the main forums, paraphrasing "my visit to the hospital couldn't explain my symptoms. But I can" Revived from 2020.

Where is the line between I have a healthy relationship with food and my body and an unhealthy one?

The overt behaviors are often very similar. So where is the tipping point, or is it all a continuum, a spectrum?

Is it normal weight management, ED like behaviors, managed ED, or just plain ED free for all?

My "sober second check" has long been the 🐹 metaphor, including taking a minute for self reflection and evaluating my actions against external scientific information. Are they normal or extreme? Supported by evidence? Do they make sense? 0.5% to 1%, maybe briefly up to 1.5% of body weight per week. 25% deficit while obese. Occasional refeed. Don't demonize even if you reduce. Where is the line between good exercise and compulsive? etc etc... pushing towards change but in the middle not extremes

I've often said that the year of losing fast (at an average of 695 Cal a day effective deficit, from MFP start at almost 240 and down to the 160s) was, in retrospect, at the limits. Took me a year+ for self body image to start catching up if nothing else.

But where/what are the limits?

Never engaging in ED like behaviors? Never counting calories, not making food trade offs? Not limiting food choices and quantities? Always accepting social invitations that involve food and partaking freely? Allowing others to dictate to you (but it is only a baklava, fresh, healthy energy, eat, eat, eat) when you will eat extra, even if you had other plans (but I wanted to eat my yogurt with wild blueberries, or magnum ice cream tonight). Not declaring that first year that multiple Christmas dinners and special dishes were cancelled and that only one turkey and one new year gala dinner were allowed?

Or are the limits only in how we feel about all this? How we feel our actions are impacting us? If it's a good impact all is good; but if it is negatively affecting our life it is isn't?

Because I'll be honest: I've never felt more happy about my body health and abilities as an adult and this came about *because* I imposed management on my weight.

It doesn't feel restrictive. I am not resenting it. Yes, I made changes and lost some things. But I gained other things. Things I was no longer able to do. I marvel and enjoy "taking care of myself" and imposing "me time" instead of resenting it and feeling it is imposed on me

But I've seen "looks" from people.

So is it our own viewpoint only? Has anyone else here wondered? Have my 🐹s gone bonkers?🙀
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Although I’m 25 lbs. short of goal, I’ve been pretty successful maintaining loss. I’m kind of a pragmatist on doing what is necessary to keep a healthier me. Yes I’ve had people give me “looks” when I’ve gone to restaurants or social functions. Even lost friends who no longer enjoy going out to eat with me because I make them feel guilty. Honestly I don’t make any fuss or ask for impossible changes. I just try to work around what’s available.

If I was an athlete in training no one would question my eating habits. But somehow trying to maintain weight or be healthier is considered frivolous and quirky. It’s not considered a serious problem and something to be ignored socially. Would you ask someone with a peanut allergy to try just one? Or urge a diabetic to load up on sweets?

However, I DO have a medical problem (obesity) that requires constant work to control. I’ll do whatever I need to do to stay well.

• lauriekallis
    Options
    I'ma thinking on this one. Thinking about where I think the line is.
  • Janatki
    Options
    And it is a good question … a brave retelling of his experience on the forums…I wonder where the “line” as Laurie puts it is and where the good practice of caring for oneself with an illness as Youly puts it, really is.
    I ‘ve seen loads of young people with what I would classify anorexia, bulemia & binge eating. Heard heart aching stories from yp & parents. Some accepted into ED services, some not - “ not reaching the criteria… can baffle me, but sometimes I have to tell myself I get too close!
    I suppose it is a question of when the relationship with food & exercise is “too” extreme, affecting your family and social relationships.
    Hey, though, who hasn’t experienced disordered eating to some extent as an obese person?
    I know I have. Tried ridiculously silly diets in my time.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    Janatki wrote: »
    Hey, though, who hasn’t experienced disordered eating to some extent as an obese person?
    I know I have. Tried ridiculously silly diets in my time.

I certainly have experienced disordered eating and obsessive exercising in the past.

I remember one particular occasion really vividly, when I was about 22....I'd lost about 35kg in a little over 6 months through a ridiculously restrictive diet (skipping breakfast and eating just garden peas with vinegar and dried apricots for both lunch and dinner). I was also walking and cycling about 250kms a week. Crazy. On the occasion in question, I went with my then boyfriend to the university observatory to view some planetary wonder that was only visible in the early hours, and walking back home at 4am, he dug a sandwich and packet of crisps from his bag and offered me a crisp. Because it was 4am and I was hungry, tired and off-guard, I took the crisp unthinkingly and bit off a little, then realised what I was doing and spat it out again and burst into tears because I felt like I'd undone months of hard work.

I've never forgotten it. To be that rigid about my diet that a fragment of crisp felt like I'd derailed all my months of effort. That was a real low point.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Perhaps the line between caring for yourself and downright obsessive behavior is living by absolute rules and nevers. Maybe having a bit of self deprecating good humor? If you’ve crossed the line maybe you no longer can laugh a little about your own self imposed rules?

The people I’ve met with ED tend to be pretty humorless about eating - some with forbidden foods, crazy limitations, combinations or restrictions. That includes militant obese folks who refuse to deny themselves anything and pride themselves on quantity eating. It’s deadly serious on both ends.
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I will add that if there is past history (or un manifested potentiality) large deficits by themselves can actually act as a trigger! <-- Another reason for "my" 25% of TDEE max (20% while no longer high overweight) "rule".

Would love to hear from all the others!

It *is* something to think about, right? In many ways we engage in behaviors that would be considered abnormal by others.

The number of people who tell me they have (what Yooly calls) "absolute rules" about food and eating but categorically refuse to count calories because "that's too much work", or "too intense", or "too much trouble", or "too much for me" is eye popping.

I believe "a" line is definitely if you evaluate where you're at and decide that you're somewhere where "this" is causing you more distress than benefit... and yet you feel "powerless"/"unwilling"/"unable" to change "this".

BUT, it HAS been more than 35 years since I looked at a psych textbook and I don't think I got an A either... so maybe more peops can chime in!!??!?!?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I dunno….I have a sense of humor and I over eat…..

my doctor said he has so many overweight patients who say they can’t understand why they are fat because they don’t eat anything!…he told me at least I am honest and admit I eat way too much…

The longer I have been on MFP I am finding that it is easier to stay on track if I just don’t even taste the foods I can’t handle, especially sweets…once I get a taste, it’s all over….

I have dieted since I was in my teens….losing and gaining, meds, carbs, calories, clubs….been there…

I have come to the realization that I have a very serious eating disorder….I have had it most of my life….I don’t know why I do…of course I have vague ideas why I am obsessed with food but no concrete facts why…to be perfectly honest I still think that someday I can eat like a normal person or that I can eat whatever I want and not gain weight!…( yeah, right! )…. It is delusion….I will never be able to consume massive amounts of food without gaining weight and I won’t magically wake up skinny one day!…this is a hard fact to come to grips with….

Dieting is hard….being overweight is hard….choose your hard!…..

I have to be conscious of what I eat every single day all day long…it is a cold hard fact…I know I am walking on a treacherous path between being healthy and killing myself with food….some days are easier than others but it is always a battle mentally and emotionally and physically….

I get so tired of it all sometimes…the endless battle…but I know how much better I feel physically when I eat right and weigh less….emotionally and mentally I feel deprived…I feel punished….hopefully these feelings will go away a little as I lose more weight…

I know I am certifiable….
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    This is one reason I know I need to take a few successful maintenance breaks this year…I have got to learn that I don’t always have to eat at a deficit…I have never maintained my entire life…I either eat too much or I diet….

The end.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Connie - I'm right there with you. Trying to figure out the best way to move forward in a way that will achieve optimum health is not easy. Partly because of the "dieting causes disordered eating" arguments.
    Those arguments are correct. I have no doubt. But. Being overweight is a killer. We are fighting against basic survival instincts, some of us seem to have stronger survival instincts/systems then others? Physiologically and psychologically. But there seems to be very few official support systems that are savvy to both and legitimately trying to work through the dilemna (other than our PAV!)

And then there is the "food addiction" (ie sugar/carbs) that I am certain of too. Dealing with addiction does require rigid rules. Though I always hope that there will be a day when occasional treats are possible. But we don't suggest an ex smoker have an occasional cigarette or that a non-drinking alcoholic have an occasional glass of champagne to celebrate.

The freakin' hamsters are in there working away at their jobs to keep us alive despite obvious signs of famine and the little addicted ones are screaming for their fix.