Shape Shifters Team Chat - JUNE 2022

Options

Replies

• Jax_Grim
    Jax_Grim Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'll be in for 14000 in the Step challenge again.
  • ewilhelm2487
    ewilhelm2487 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am just posting this week's weigh in here so I don't forget what it was lol my memory isn't what it used to be. 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,130 Member
    Options
    Hi SS... You have the last member joining your wonderful team for June ... Please welcome @walela617 :)
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,203 Member
    Options
    Daily Step goal: 10,000
    Thu 5/26: 15,291
    Fri 5/27: 11,922
    Sat 5/28: 12,071
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    Good morning All and welcome to @walela617

Sunday weigh in...
    22/05/22...118.7kg (261.7 lbs)
    29/05/22...117.2kg (258.4 lbs)...-1.5kg...-1.5kg

I would like to join the step challenge as I very impressed by what I see others do. My tracker say 7,400 steps so that it what I will go with.

Still not shifted this cold so my body better sort itself out!

I am not from the US though I will take a moment to remember the fallen everywhere on Memorial day.

Happy Monday y'all!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Sunday ~ May 29
    Steps: 14.143
    Hello Shape Shifters. Sunday didn't entirely go to plan. My dad wrote Saturday that he wanted to come over. I am not a fan of last minute stuff, but it was alright. He would bring the package I ordered with the two sound buttons as well which was nice. I had it delivered in Germany because it saved me a lot on shipping. My sister lives in Germany just across the border and my dad lives close to her so he picked it up from her place. He wanted to go out for lunch again, which annoyed me a bit as well. It was the start of a new month for me and I was ready to stay committed to my food plan, and then he turns that on its head. I know it's not a big deal and I didn't eat a lot, but I still didn't like it. I wanted to see how my plan would go and how my hunger levels were, so that got pushed back another day.
    I started using the buttons with Tinus now. I have recorded one with the word 'outside' and put it by the door. I press that everytime we go out for a walk and I say stuff like "want to go outside? let's go outside, yes outside!" as well. It sounds a little silly and I am pretty sure he already knows what the word means, but we have to connect it to the button. I recorded the second button with 'boop' since that one will only be used for training. I attempted the paw targeting. Step one is basically to have a treat, cover it with a clear, small plastic container, and wait for your pet to paw at it to get at the treat. Tinus hasn't managed to do that yet. When I cover the treat, he looks at me like "where the frick did it go?!" and he will meow at me like he is starving. If this goes on for too many tries, he loses interest and walks away. I think with training in general, you just need to be very patient and consistent, so I will keep trying. Out of the 18 treats I bought for him to try out, he liked half of them, which is better than I expected. The other half went with my dad to give to my sister since she has cats as well.
    Have a lovely Monday everyone <3
    913lapyocaed.jpg
    ho2loy6zvwbf.jpg

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,110 Member
    Options
    zh4xuwnm0bnb.jpg
    Hi SS... You have the last member joining your wonderful team for June ... Please welcome @walela617 :)

@walela617 Welcome to our team!! I'm Jessica, your Captain and now that you're here, the party can finally start!! :smile: On behalf of the team and our two Motivators @PatriceFitnessPal and @angmarie28, we are very glad you found us!

Take a few minutes and go back to page one of this June chat thread and read our FAQ file. It should answer many of your questions and for anything not covered, please post your questions and we'll do our best to find answers for you. Also, introduce yourself and tell us a little about what you hope to achieve in June and in the months to come.

It you're a Fitbit, Garmin or Apple watch fanatic as many of us are, please take advantage of our monthly Step Challenge. Just give me your first name for the chart, your daily step goal you hope to hit each day and your favorite place to walk and I'll get you signed up. Also, we have a Group Challenge each week, running Sunday through Thursday that changes each week. Nice way to get to know people from all of our five teams. The link for this week's was on pg one of this thread. We'd love to see you there.

Looking forward to hearing more from you! Again, welcome!
    Jessica :smile:
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    JessicaKrall8
    Monday Weigh-in
    PW: 290.5
    CW: 288.5
    LTD: 91.5 lbs
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    May 26 steps = 10,754
    May 27 steps = 11,368
    May 28 steps = 6964
    May 29 steps = 4360

Please sign me up for June step challenge at 9000 steps a day again!

@Pupowl & @jessicakrall8 I love to read, I have paperbacks, kindle app and a Kobo! I can jump from book to book, on either device no problem. My favorite genre is Paranormal Romance/Fantasy but I really read anything. From Horror to Mystery, YA, Fiction the list goes on and on lol
  • Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    Susanna527 wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Thanks for the welcome. I'm Susanna, and I just joined the F2F Challenge and am happy to be on the Shape Shifters team with you all :)

So about me.....

I've struggled with weight my whole life, but from about 35 years old on, I managed to maintain my weight at about 140 lbs (I'm 5'4") up until six years ago when I quit smoking (2-3 packs/day for 43 years) cold turkey. I'm happy I quit, but stupidly I went from a nicotine addiction to a food addiction, and I ballooned up to 200 pounds. A few months after that, I fractured my knee & tore the meniscus in a biking accident. I just kept eating, stopped exercising, and was in a very unhealthy place.

I joined MFP in 2018 on the advice of a nutritionist at my job to monitor my protein intake (she was concerned as a vegan I wasn't getting enough protein) and I stayed for a while, but like so many other aspects of my life, I wasn't consistent and dropped off. I did manage to lose 20 pounds on my own, but then I let a series of crushing events (my only son, my bff and my companion all died within 2 years) turn me back to binge/emotional eating, and I put the 20 pounds back on. I was sad and really didn't care about my body.

I'm now in a bit of a better place and am ready to tackle my weight and weight-related issues once and for all. Last week I started exercising again (slowly), and am being very consistent with recording my daily food intake.

Thanks to all who actually read up to this point - didn't mean to ramble, wow!

And last but not least, @jessicakrall8 - I would love to join the June step challenge, but am not sure where to sign up. My goal is 2 miles/day (I guess about 5,000 steps/day) and my favorite place to walk is around my town (New Haven). There are lovely places to walk (and bike) here - I walk everywhere - haven't driven in 35 years.

My current weight is 200 lbs.
    My goal weight is 140 lbs.
    My food goal is to get enough protein & fiber, and go easy on carbs, sugars & unhealthy fats.

I'm really looking forward to being a part of this group with you - hope you're all having a lovely weekend ~ Susanna

Monday - 5/30
    Weight (Current): 205 (above weight was a typo)
    Weight Goal (June): 197
    Weight Goal (Long Term): 140
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 382 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Walela617
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW (Previous Weight): 217.0 (February 29, 2008)
    CW (Current Weight): 164.0 (May 29, 2022) - NEW DAY ONE! (GOAL WEIGHT: 140 or below)
    LTD: 53.0, *Current* LTD: 0.0

Hi everyone, I'm so happy to join! For this challenge, I start at 164, but I felt it's important to post my all-time high weight as well, if only to proclaim, "I did it before; I can do it again!"

*Susanna527*, I was so moved by your story and was deeply affected when I read about your biking accident and most profoundly about the tragic loss of your only son, bff and companion within such a sudden timeframe! You must be amazingly strong and resilient to have recovered up to this point! Even quitting smoking is an amazing feat of endurance. My sister also went up to over 200 lbs. after quitting smoking and alcohol at the same time. She is only 5'1" and has rhematoid arthritis; so it's very hard for her.

Like Susanna527, I'm about 5'4" (5'3.5") and over the next couple of years finally got down to 140 (for about like...a couple days?) ;) ANYway, over the next few years, I went back up as high as 188 over the pandemic isolation period before finally trying to regain my footing along the path to wellness. I now realize I will be unable to get back to goal without at minimum the following two things:

1) NO alcoholic beverages!
    2) Increase activity to a minimum of 40 minutes, five times per week.

That's me - for others it might be different. I'm going to see if I can join the steps challenge as well. My work is about two miles' walking each way; so if I walk at least one way to or from work on most days I should be able to achieve this goal easily. (Walking is a way of life for me - I've never owned a car and I don't even know how to drive! I should be able to keep to this commitment.)

I turn 64 on August 18th of this year (hopefully!) and I find I have lost a lot of strength and flexiblity over the past several years as well; so I'd like to gradually improve along those areas as well.

I would like to join the Steps Challenge and would like to average at least 5,000 steps per day, most days of the week.

Thanks so much for letting me join this team! Wishing the best to ALL!
    ohzzt293wmct.jpg

• Susanna527
    Susanna527 Posts: 1,546 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    @walela617 - Thank you so much for your kind words <3. TBH, some days I don't know how I get out of bed in the morning, but I'm trying.

I see we have something in common (in addition to our heights :smile: ). I don't know a lot of people who don't drive - in fact, in my 60 years on this planet, I've only met two other people (and now you) who don't drive. With gas prices these days, I'm glad, too. I changed departments at my job and now my walk is only 10 minutes each way, so I definitely need to get my steps in, in other ways :)

• Walela617
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi Susanna, not only that, you are helping to save our Earth! Part of the reason I never resumed dating after my divorce is because people in the U.S. seem to think there must be something fundamentally WRONG with you if you don't drive! (Or else the'yre afraid they might have to chauffer you around!) Whatever, not *my* issue. I'm so glad you are much closer to your work! I think you said you used to have a FOUR HOUR commute? Unimaginable to me! We are close in age and height. It really hit home when I read about your son - I'm guessing 5/27 might be his birthday, am I right? (Sorry if that's not so - I just felt like it might be). I have an only son too and I worry about him all the time. I hope we can encourage each other along the way. We CAN do this! (Carole)
    gdoxa9kdzpe1.jpg
  • Walela617
    Options
    Thanks so much for the welcome, Megan! I would like to join the Step Challenge. I plan to do at least 5,000 steps per day (but I'm really aiming for about 8,000, ~five days per week).
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 fantastic loss!!!!!

@Pupowl sounds like your cat training if very similar to puppy training. Good luck, it sounds rewarding
  • Walela617
    Options
    Hi Jessica, I forgot to mention my favorite place to walk. It's the Minuteman Bike Trail Somerville/Cambridge/Arlington/Lexington, especially near Spy Pond. I don't always get to walk there, but anywhere outside and with at least some "nature" around is great! Lately, I have to skirt all kinds of construction areas because that's almost all I can see in the inner city, metropolitan Boston area, but we still have trees and flowers here and there! I also like Assembly Row near Somerville - all the baby ducks, geese and swans are around now! I wear a fitness watch but it's not one of the big names. I still like it. I will count mostly workouts on that, but I log in a lot more steps in my day-to-day, beyond walking to and/or from work. I'm so glad to be part of this team!
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    @Walela617 I have you down for the Step Challenge...good luck in June! You're already making friends here...encouraging others...you're already a great addition to the team! Don't forget to drop into the Group Challenge...every week is different and fun (if I do say so myself). Link is on pg 1 of this chat.

Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Where are the rest of my steppers?!! 8 people this month? Don't forget to re-register...doesn't roll over each month because you need to adjust your daily goal...where are my regulars? [peeking]
    Jessica
This discussion has been closed.