Shape Shifters Team Chat - SEPTEMBER 2022

Options

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Pupowl wrote: »
    Steps
    … The scale was planned a while back already. I don't think I can hate myself more than I currently do already, but I am still scared out of my mind to step on it Saturday morning. I know it's going to be really bad. But I feel like once I get that out of the way, I can move on and it isn't like a black cloud hanging over me. In this case I think knowledge is better than ignorance. …

lkqbp5nsb0iz.jpg

I’m so glad to see your determination in getting through Saturday’s weigh in! I agree that waiting just prolongs the negative cycle and there’s no scale number that is going to be worse than a negative spiral. Getting on the scale, and learning where you stand, is the beginning of your positive spiral. You can continue to build on that positive action and determination.

I think the power in the “Fake it ‘til you make it” expression,” approach is that you focus on building the daily habits and routines that are necessary to ‘make it.’ Motivation is limited but if we can motivate ourselves in the short-term, and push through to change our negative behaviors to positive ones, we can achieve that vision of who we want to become in the future.

I’ve heard some people say that it feels like ‘imposter syndrome’ to fake it, but I don’t agree that it’s the same. Of course, we want to strive for personal integrity. So, the way we see ourselves internally is also the way we express ourselves to others in the world; but, I think there is sometimes a knowing and doing gap we need to cross in order to achieve our vision. I just tell people that I’m faking it until I make it so they understand it’s a ‘work in progress.’

Shape Shifters: What positive behavior or habit do you want to ‘fake’ until you can ‘make it’ a reality?
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    WOW, what a gorgeous puzzle! Nice job!

Walela617
    WI day: Thursday
    PW: 159.6
    CW: 159.2
    9v9k0lm7ifx4.jpg
  • Walela617
    Options
    Walela617 Steps:

9/26 16,958
    9/27 17,254
    9/28 14,783
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    Angmarie28
    Wednesdays
    Previous weight-164.2
    Current weight-165

Definitely stress ate this past week, ugh.
  • angmarie28
    Options
    9/27-5,665
    9/28-6,568
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Steps
    28 Sep: 14.140
    29 Sep: 14.568
    Good morning Shape Shifters. I am glad you all enjoy the puzzle pictures. I finished another one on Wednesday. This time it was only a 500 piece so it went fairly fast. The one I am currently doing will probably take a few more days. I put Tinus' new Christmas house on the couch to try to lure him away from the puzzle table. It worked for around 15 minutes yesterday and then he went back to the table. :lol: I am glad he is on his best behaviour though; he doesn't go knocking stuff off, he just wants to sit. I made a second instagram for my puzzles and postcards and I am having a lot of fun with it. Yesterday it randomly got deactivated by mistake. I was worried I wouldn't get it back, but thankfully it popped up again a few hours later. No idea what happened but super glad it got fixed.
    I got my scale set up and ready to go. Just did a test to make sure it works, so I already know the damage. I think the scale is going to help motivate me though, because it measures so many things. It is not just weight you can improve on. Happy Friday everyone <3
    c34jknv2413m.jpg
    xr0tlc5f3hfh.jpg
    41fgv6bqhjcf.jpg

• Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,606 Member
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @CassandraW
    Thank you for your kind words (you as well @PatriceFitnessPal !). I know it is not what you want, but I think maintaining for that long is super impressive. That also sounds like it will be very unlikely for you to go the wrong way again because the changes you have made are sticking. So I think that is worth celebrating. Maybe you just needed some time to get used to the idea of the old you being 'gone'. I have read a lot on this forum, and you are not the only one who self sabotages. Some people are afraid of no longer being fat because it is what they have known for so long. I don't know and I am not sure what you can do either. I think a lot of people know exactly what they should be doing to reach a specific goal; for me there is also a switch mentally that needs to flip for some reason. I hope you can figure it out.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,103 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all and Happy Friday!! Have a terrific day!
    2cp5xjsgito4.jpg
    Jessica :smile:
  • KHill875
    KHill875 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    KHill875
    Friday weigh in
    PW: 145.8
    CW: 144.0

Steps
    9/26 - 15,897
    9/27 - 10,660
    9/28 - 11,210
    9/29 - 17,233
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    pedal__power
    Fridays
    PW: 198.6
    CW: 197.4

This week I was back on track logging food, closing out the food diary and consuming fewer snacks. I'm happy to see the scale down again.

While this past month has been a rotation of on and off track weeks for logging and snacking, it's been steady and that's sometimes okay! I've also had some more consistent successes in other places. One success has been at the grocery store. I used to consistently buy sugary treats, often planned but mostly impulsive purchases, even if we had some still at home. In my house, we call this "not surviving the candy aisle." Well, I feel like I've had a break through on this front. Over the past month I've cut back on impulse sugary purchases. There were some planned purchases, but I've been able to go down that aisle and just grab some gum and not feel overwhelming cravings to buy sweets or to impulsively put them in the cart. I've really tried to plan out a good grocery list, to stick with it and to make sure I wasn't shopping while I was hungry. This has been a big win for me. Obviously I want it to continue, but am dreading that Halloween is coming up knowing that I will struggle more with impulse eating once those treats are in our house, which they will be as my kids love trick-or-treating! I'd welcome some thoughts on how to survive Halloween...lol.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    @pedal__power great job getting through the grocery store without impulse buying. I struggle what that some times too. It used to be all the time, but is generally ok now.

For Halloween I try to keep all the snack and treats out of sight. I find I’m much less likely to eat too many if I don’t see them all day. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    @Pupowl thank you for the kind words.
    I have a FITINDEX scale, I think it’s similar to your new one. I like all the extra information it gives me. I hope you like yours as well.
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @KHill875 @ewilhelm2487 @Walela617 Nice losses!

Welcome @alleykat69 ! Looking forward to getting to know you.

@Pupowl I love your puzzle and cat photos! We go through phases of avid puzzling in my house, mostly during winter break. I find them very satisfying and good way to relax.

@Yukie_OP I also go through cycles of high output and times of feeling very tired, uninspired and unmotivated, particularly with my job. I can perform well under stress, but not forever and often when the stress lets up or it's a busy time and I've been at it too long is usually when the disinterest sets in or like @PatriceFitnessPal , I get sick. It feels awful when it happens. I don't want to feel that way. It's really good that you are recognizing that it's happening and reaching out to talk about it. For me, it's often an indicator that I need to take some time off work to recharge or if I can't, to change what I'm working on at work (if possible) or to change up my work environment. Are you able to take some time off? If not, can you re-organize your work space or work somewhere differently for a little bit? Sometimes re-configuring my work area, decluttering or working from a different place help me with this as well. This fall is looking very busy for our family particularly on weekends. I have a lot of vacation banked so I'm planning to ask if I can take a few hours off every Friday just to get the house organized and take some self-care time. I think it's going to help me be more productive at work and stay on track with everything, including my health, if I feel less tired and keep organized.

• angmarie28
    Options
    9/29-8,529
  • Walela617
    Options
    @Walela617

Total Steps 09/29: 11,503
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,218 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Tue 9/27: 15,984
    Wed 9/28: 4,608
    Thu 9/29: 10,501
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,218 Member
    Options
    frankwbrown
    September week 4
    Weigh in day: Friday, September 30
    PW: 229.3
    CW: 225.8 ( lost 3.5 lbs; 1.53%)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Mulecanter
    Friday
    PW: 221.5
    CW: 223
  • Yukie_OP
    Yukie_OP Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    @Yukie_OP I also go through cycles of high output and times of feeling very tired, uninspired and unmotivated, particularly with my job... Are you able to take some time off? If not, can you re-organize your work space or work somewhere differently for a little bit? Sometimes re-configuring my work area, decluttering or working from a different place help me with this as well. This fall is looking very busy for our family particularly on weekends. I have a lot of vacation banked so I'm planning to ask if I can take a few hours off every Friday just to get the house organized and take some self-care time. I think it's going to help me be more productive at work and stay on track with everything, including my health, if I feel less tired and keep organized.
    @pedal__power - Yes, I am actually going to be looking at my available vacation time this weekend to schedule some sporadic days off in October, especially because i know both work and personal life activities will pick up again in November/December. It'll be good to take some time off for myself.... btw, great job staying on track with your logging/tracking.

@Pupowl - Love Tinus' little Christmas house, he looks so cute in it. I think the fact that you're on the puzzle table doing something, just intrigues him and wants to be apart of it (lol).

@KHill875 - Way to go on your step count!

@frankwbrown - Great loss this week. Way to end the month 👍🏼
This discussion has been closed.