WaistAways Team Chat - NOVEMBER 2022

Options
jugar
jugar Posts: 10,062 Member
edited December 2022 in Social Groups
sfy6fdeuyq10.png
Here is your Team chat room for November 2022. This is where you weigh weekly, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed! Bookmark this thread to make it easy to land there any time.

We have five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970
Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @trooworld
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and open

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - @fatfifties
Mission Slimpossibles - @katmary71
Weight No More - @rachelrjh
WaistAways - @conleywoods
Shape Shifters - @angmarie28 & @PatriceFitnessPal

HOW IT ALL WORKS: The November challenge runs from October 30th - December 3rd. F2F months always start on a Sunday and end on a Saturday, so adjust your calendars!

Every challenger weighs in weekly on their chosen day right here in the team chat thread. At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard.

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you take a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or are moved to the Support Team for longer. You can remain on the Support Team for as long as you need to. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone! You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team!

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month and year begin!!

Replies

• jugar
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Welcome to November!

This is our home for the month, where all of our joys and challenges take place. Please (re)introduce yourselves and set some goals and daily actions for the month. Focus on the small every day choices, and you will get where you want to go!

I am Liselyn, co-captain along with @ashleycarole86 . I live in rural Québec, and I'm a retired university professor of music. My weight loss story? After being somewhat overweight for most of my life, I really packed it on while in an admin job that involved a lot of sitting, meetings, travel, and meals. I tried many times to lose, but it was not until I was 58 that I got really serious with both food and exercise. As of this month, I just hit 10 years on maintenance, always refining and making sure I don't have to do it all over again. Yes, it is possible to lose weight and get in shape during and after menopause!

I know there are people on this team who have a lot to lose, others who have lost a lot and are closing in on their goals, and some who might be working on losses that are stubbornly resisting. There is much wisdom here, and the most important lesson we learn from each other time and time again is that it is not a straight shot, there will be trials and errors, and sticking with it when it feels like you have fallen off yet again is the best thing you can do for yourself. Plateaus can be good, but going back the way you came is not!

Some helpful information/tools:
    Posting your daily updates
    We know from experience that posting daily (or as often as you can!) makes a huge difference to your success. Use any format you like to let everyone know how you are doing on your daily goals and habits. You can report on food, exercise, water, sleep, or whatever you are tracking and trying to stick with. While you're there, talk about how you are, ask questions, and if you can answer someone else, please do! Congratulate others, commiserate, enjoy someone's rant, or go ahead and rant yourself. It all helps make the kind of community where we are in each others' heads when the hand is reaching for that off-plan snack, or the couch is feeling way too inviting...

Weighing in
    Please try to weigh in on time! When you post, put your weigh in at the TOP of a message, so it is clear and easy to find. If you cannot post your weight for whatever reason, please request a week off, or if you need a longer break, you can request to move to the "Support Team" where you can still participate but your weigh-ins will not be part of the weekly tally. This is where members who are ill, on vacation, or just needing a break can hang out for as long as needed.

The F2F Habit Tracker
    If you want a simple place to track your most important habits, give this a try. You can see how your teammates are doing too :wink: The link and how-to info are under "Announcements" on the main F2F page.

So everyone, tell us a bit about you, your goals for the month, what steps you are going to work on. It's fun to know your name and where you live (if you're willing to share that), what brought you here, how your weight loss journey has been, and where you are headed now. Let the introductions roll!
  • DianaGetsFit512
    DianaGetsFit512 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @jugar since I weigh in on Fridays, but November hasn't started.. do you need my weight today? Or not until next week?
  • DianaGetsFit512
    Options
    Hey guys! (This might sound repetitive since I just introduced myself in the October chat, but just in case lol)

My name is Diana, I am 35 years old, an optometrist and mommy to a 1 year old baby boy. I live in New Jersey (not by the shore, closer to NYC and the housewives, but not super close 🤣)

Pretty much my whole life I have struggled with my weight while being the only "chubby one" in my large extended family. When I started college I gained the "freshman 40"!! (I guess that is what happens when all you eat from the cafeteria is pasta and sandwiches!) During this time though, I got over my gym-phobia thanks to a fit friend of mine who made me realize that everyone at the gym was working on themselves as perfect as they may seem.

A few years later I started working out and being more mindful of my eating and dropped around 60lbs in 1 year! It was the happiest I was in my own skin and most importantly I felt proud. I had finally figured it out! I kept most of it off for about 5 years.
    Fast forward.... got married 4 years ago and had a baby exactly 1 year ago. During the pregnancy I gained about 40lbs. I thought 1 year post partum I would be a lot closer to my pre-pregnancy weight of 203, but I'm somehow stuck around 226-222 for the last year and cannot seem to go down!
    I was doing WW for a while and although it had worked for me in the past, this time around I just couldn't get my act together. I don't blame the plan, I was just eating like a butt.

A few years back I had joined this challenge for a little bit and loved the community so I decided to quit WW, start calorie counting again and re-join this group. I need all the motivation I can get as I just can't keep myself from having foods I know I shouldn't have! Worse part is..I don't know why!
    My why: I'm tired of being the fat one and now I need to be healthy for my little boy!

Goals:
    I don't like setting weight goals, but I think I need to for the extra motivation.. this month I'd like to get under 220. I want to pre-track the night before every day. Workout 4 times a week and go to sleep before midnight every night.

What are your go to dinners?? Need some ideas..
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Kelly. I am a busy wife, mother of 4, and Kindergarten teacher. Our kids range from 3-18 and keep us busy. I joined this group when the baby 4 months, just before Covid. I got to my lowest weight since baby 3 last year, but gained it back during the first half of 2022. I have lost about 5 pounds since summer and my goal is to lose 5 more before the end of the year.

Goals
    1. 5 workouts a week (this has been a struggle)
    2. Cut out afternoon junk snacks (I teach Kindergarten, there are always junk snacks around)

I want to try IF again, but I am not committing it to a monthly goal, yet. This is how I lost weight last year. I struggle with finding the right window. It's hard to wait until 11 to open my window because when I do workout at 5 am, I get hungry. But, with my after school commitments, I can't do an early dinner. I am going to play with a few times and see if I can make it work.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,132 Member
    Options
    Step Challenge
    I've got everyone who paticipated in October down in November with the same goals. If anyone wants to make changes to their pledge, or we have anyone new that wants to join, just let me know.
    For everyone - it's ALL exercise minutes that count. So, I take steps and exercise minutes from each person, convert the exercise minutes to steps, and that's what counts towards your pledge.
    If you haven't joined yet and want to, just let me know if you need any more info to get started. Reporting in to someone is often key to staying accountable!
  • jugar
    Options
    @jugar since I weigh in on Fridays, but November hasn't started.. do you need my weight today? Or not until next week?

Today's weight would be your November starting weight - on the same day you'll be weighing in from now on, so go for it! Thanks!
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am so excited to be here. My name is Chelsey and I live in New England with my husband and our dog. I am 33 years old, and have honestly struggled with my weight for most of my childhood and adult life. I had my moments of being active through my life by playing sports or other physical activities like dance and gymnastics, but I never had the best relationship with food. I binged as a child to cope with my feelings, and I have been working steadily towards a healthier relationship with food and emotional eating.

In the summer of 2020, I was at my lowest weight of around 165 lb. and I was working out almost every day. In 2021, I changed my job from recruiting to HR business partner, and all of a sudden my flexible work schedule went out the window. It was the right move for me and my career but I was not prepared to adjust my workout schedule so that was moved to the back burner. I also did not take the stress well and ate more and drank more (and stopped exercising) which led to about a 20-25 lb weight gain total since the summer of 2020.

My goal for this month is to intentionally work out for 250 minutes weekly and to meet my calorie goal 6 days a week. My calorie goal is set at 1400 without exercise so that I can eat my exercise calories.
  • jugar
    Options
    qgoa6ulpegdb.png

The November Habit Tracker is up and ready to roll. Get a handle on those small changes that add up to a lot of progress - and collect green check marks!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10876804/habit-tracker-november-2022#latest
  • DianaGetsFit512
    Options
    Hello Waistaways! I am your co-captain alongside @jugar and I look after our monthly step challenge.

I am turning 36 on November 1, and I've been married to my lovely husband and fellow teammate / weight loss buddy @bowens1973 for just over 3 years now. We live in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada with our dog, two cats, and my mother and her dog who now live in our basement after she sold her house earlier this year.

I work full time in a management role in a large corporation in downtown Calgary and my work stress has grown expotentially in the last couple of months. I have found staying on track with my habits has been much harder as I try to adjust to this new way of being.

I joined this team in January 2021 at 293 pounds, hit my maintenance range of 160-165 earlier this year, and I'm now hovering about 5 pounds over that since a few big vacations put me over. I have the tools to get back down, but due to the work stress mentioned above I find I'm not executing on them.

So, my goals for November are to track everything, to exercise as much as I can fit in, and to drink more water. I think I also need to stop eating to my calorie goal just because and take larger deficits on days where there aren't things going on so I have a bit more buffer built up for larger meals out. I am still trying to figure out the best way to manage life with more outings now that I'm back to being busy outside the house again.

Looking forward to spending the month with you all!
    Hello Waistaways! I am your co-captain alongside @jugar and I look after our monthly step challenge.

I am turning 36 on November 1, and I've been married to my lovely husband and fellow teammate / weight loss buddy @bowens1973 for just over 3 years now. We live in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada with our dog, two cats, and my mother and her dog who now live in our basement after she sold her house earlier this year.

I work full time in a management role in a large corporation in downtown Calgary and my work stress has grown expotentially in the last couple of months. I have found staying on track with my habits has been much harder as I try to adjust to this new way of being.

I joined this team in January 2021 at 293 pounds, hit my maintenance range of 160-165 earlier this year, and I'm now hovering about 5 pounds over that since a few big vacations put me over. I have the tools to get back down, but due to the work stress mentioned above I find I'm not executing on them.

So, my goals for November are to track everything, to exercise as much as I can fit in, and to drink more water. I think I also need to stop eating to my calorie goal just because and take larger deficits on days where there aren't things going on so I have a bit more buffer built up for larger meals out. I am still trying to figure out the best way to manage life with more outings now that I'm back to being busy outside the house again.

Looking forward to spending the month with you all!

Ashley!!! Omg preach!!! I find I struggle with not giving myself enough of a deficit either!! Tempting to have one more snack because you have the calories!
  • DianaGetsFit512
    Options
    Step Challenge
    I've got everyone who paticipated in October down in November with the same goals. If anyone wants to make changes to their pledge, or we have anyone new that wants to join, just let me know.
    For everyone - it's ALL exercise minutes that count. So, I take steps and exercise minutes from each person, convert the exercise minutes to steps, and that's what counts towards your pledge.
    If you haven't joined yet and want to, just let me know if you need any more info to get started. Reporting in to someone is often key to staying accountable!

I'd like to join. Not sure what goal to choose though...
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,074 Member
    Options
    The November Week 1 Group Challenge is posted and will begin tomorrow, Sunday, Oct 30th. Join us this week as we begin the Curb the Candy Challenge! Here's your link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10876810/november-week-1-group-challenge-curb-the-candy-challenge#latest

Hope to see you there!
    Jessica :blush:
  • jugar
    Options
    Team WaistAways Challenge for November - December
    Who do you want to be by January 1, 2023?
    Let's go!

75fzi2ay0gtn.png

Let's give this a try for the next 2 months. What is one goal that enhances your self-definition? Not the whole thing, just one thing you want to make part of you. By January 1st.

How about:
    "I am a person who walks for an hour a day" or
    "I do at least 10 pushups a day", or
    "I centre my diet on whole foods as much as possible", or
    "I get at least 15 minutes of vigorous exercise (or meditation, etc.) # days per week" or
    "I only drink alcohol # days per week", or
    "I eat 30 grams of fibre daily", or
    whatever it is you'd like to be.

We have November and December to make it a reality. We need a specific plan with weekly goals. Then, on January 1, we can say that we are that person. And keep it up!

What do you want to be able to do by January 1st? Or what do you simply want to start doing/being right away?

I will make a shared spreadsheet to track everyone's progress. We have 8 weeks and 6 days to New Year's Eve (starting Sunday).

Let's make is measurable, clear, and sustainable, but not necessarily weight-oriented (although it can be for some people!).

It seems like we are on a challenge roll here - pick whichever ones work for you. This is a challenging time of year!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    Hello Waistaways! I'm Michele. I'm 58 living in the Philadelphia area of Pennsylvania, USA. I've been with this wonderful team for a very long time. It's a great place to be. I have lost weight, plateaued, and gained weigh. I moved earlier this year and have been in kind funk since. I also gained 20 pounds back. I'm not quite where I started, but need to get myself back under 200. That won't happen before the end of the year. I know me.

I have considered myself overweight for years. Technically, I am obese on the dumb BMI chart. I have had success losing 50 pounds with Weight Watchers years ago and actually worked for them as a weigher. This group provides as much support as the meetings I went to then ever did. I am not an extreme dieter. For me, livable changes are my goal. No elimination diets for me please.

My goals for this month are to be present in the group, log my food and stick to the plan as much as possible, and make 1% changes. (1% more water, more minutes of exercise, etc) I would love to be in the green all four weeks, but that may be setting myself up for failure. We all know we need to set goals we can achieve, right? I would like to have 3 green weeks in November. Doesn't matter how much. Just green.

This month I am looking to reset a long time of stagnation. I feel like I've taken some good steps. I went back and read the entire posts from last week's challenge on Emotional Eating. That is definitely me. I don't eat whole bags of things, but I do eat mindlessly to comfort and reward myself. In my mind and in my life, Food is Love. It probably always will be to some degree, but moderation is the key.

So glad to take on this new month with a new attitude and high hopes for more success. So glad you are all here along with me. Those who have been here -- you provide such wonderful motivation and support for all who are on the team. New friends -- I hope you find this group as important and wonderful as I have.

Let's all have a great month this time of year that we know can be challenging.
  • jugar
    Options
    Hi Team Waistaways!

I’m Sophia. My weight has been up and down since high school. 2022 has been an up year but I’m ready to reverse and learn to keep it off for good.

Goals for this month are to get back to basics.
    1. Track everything honestly
    2. Drink 1 gallon of water daily
    3. Reduce snacking
    4. Add fruit/veg with each meal
    5. Exercise at least 30 minutes daily

Very basic but I’ve fallen so off track this year so getting back to these will help immensely.

Let’s do this Waistaways!

Hi Sophia! Great plan - although one gallon of water is a whole lot!!! You might be able to relax a bit on that. Adding fruit and veg is always good - getting in that fibre and the whole foods are so much more satisfying and rarely induce craving. You might enjoy the habit tracker we have - see the link above and give it a try!
This discussion has been closed.