Jammin' January

Replies

• SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,824 Member
    Blew it yesterday. Going after it again today.
  • SherryRueter
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=b2taSMx6394

Very interesting documentary on Sugar. I highly recommend this one.
  • Kdmontgo215
    Kdmontgo215 Posts: 6 Member
    @k8richly Thanks so much for your reply! My kids are 6, 3, and 1. I think trying to add in mini exercises like you mentioned is going to be a great way to get motivated because it's not overwhelming. I also set a goal of 10am to have done a short exercise routine in the living room because if I don't do it by then I kind of give up. I've only done that for 2 days so far! Still working on my diet but I have made salads for the past 2 days too...I haven't cut out junk food totally, but I've started by adding healthy food!
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Hello! Just found this group - I don't feel obese but have about 25 pds to lose. I am 45 (eeckkk!) and work full time (sedative- desk job). I am not too concerned about the number on the scale. I just started to weigh myself 1x week. I want to feel good in my own skin especially on the beach! I live in NYC and its cold - I keep daydreaming about summer! I can't wait to start wearing my shorts/tanks and sandals...ahhh! I log my exercise daily - but want to really buckle down and start logging food again. I hope this group is active as I'd like to check in daily ;)
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Long week has been long...first full week with the contract gig, plus week 2 of 75 Hard, plus the day job....it's been "smooth" but the adjustment to it all has started to wear me down a bit. Good thing tomorrow is Friday!
    Thankfully I think I was well prepared, and choosing to do 75 has been perfect to keep me focused and moving solidly from one task to the next and avoiding excessive down time. Body still adapting a bit but hasn't been too bad, the little bit of building up to this I did the past couple months seems to have helped.
    Still hoping for another "woosh" by next week though, scale is still kinda high....
    44, F, 5' 7"
    GW: 128-135(ish - TBD)
    CW: 157.6

1/4/2023: 157.2
    1/11/23: 155.2
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Welcome to the group @pmastro724! Fellow native New Yorker here! You’ll find lots of support here. Been here a while and don’t think there’s been a time without a daily check in from one of the “not-so-heavies”. You can make great progress by summer!

@SherryRueter - no worries. Log, track, and move on. I’m sure one of those days will be coming for me soon.

@HoneyBadger302 - praying for a whoosh. Scale slowing going down.

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 724 Member
    Welcome @pmastro724! I'm with you waiting for the shorts weather, and I'm in SC!
  • spl8
    spl8 Posts: 101 Member
    @HoneyBadger302, I just looked up the 75 Hard and Live Hard program. Dang. That's fierce. I'm impressed. Keep posting your progress. And I'm just trying to do the 30 Day Yoga Challenge with Yoga with Adriene. I feel like a wuss.
  • SherryRueter
    @pmastro724 welcome! Just keep coming here and posting ... Nice to see another face added to the thread.

@spl8 We're all at different places in our journey. Yay for you in doing 30 Days of Yoga. We all should do more stretching and strengthening that way. Way to go. What day are you on?

I've been listening and finding information on sugar, its addiction, the issues it causes for those who abuse it and use it long term. Its quite eye opening. I know that for me, most sweets I'm a one bite isn't enough girl. One bite just means I'm not satisfied and need a bazillion more bites. Alas, I've found a new "WHY" and new motivation as to WHY I should eat non-processed foods.

Another reason, which I don't think i've shared here, is that my father is in the hospital (admitted last Saturday, so the past 5 days about). He's 350 pounds and has fallen 3x in 3 days. Being a large man, he is not so easy to get up.

And his legs are failing due to lack of use. He also has diabetes (has for about 6yrs?) His kidneys are in stage 3 failure and his EKG shows a stage 1 blockage and his eyesight is being impacted also.

While listening to one of the broadcasts/research episodes I found they mentioned all of these as being related to over abuse of sugar.

Yes, one does need adequate exercise and needs to watch that they do not over eat. But the level of sugar (even if the person is skinny) they have data on how that has caused Kidney failures, diabetes, eye sight issues, etc.

All this to say that it really has my mind thinking on why I would keep eating sugar and, how hard of a path would it be to reduce my sugar intake to the recommended 20g or less a day? If I'm asking my dad (77yr) to give up his sugar because its not healthy for him.....Why can't I do the same?
    AND, today's FIRE that is lit under my butt is that I need 100 g of protein a day. No excuses.

Female: 52yr on Jan 28th.
    Height: really close to 61 inches.
    Weight: hanging out at 106.5

Fri/Sat goal weight: 106.0
  • HoneyBadger302
    Yesterday's workout was - "fun" - dog wasn't thrilled lol, had to get our walk done between tornado warnings, ended up just walking back and forth in front of the house 'just in case' (wind was low, and I grew up in tornado country so know what to watch out for).

Neighbors are probably convinced I'm a complete nutter though LOL

172s3puup8ic.jpg
  • SherryRueter
    Great pic @HoneyBadger302 What's puppies name? Our dog Noodles won't go out if its rainy. Good job getting in a walk. I need to do that today.

My Scale should be launched out the window.... up 2# ... I'm saying its from a carby supper and from leg day. Thats my story. I am trying SUPER hard to day to SIT THRU the SUCK.
    How do women over 50 actually lose weight. Do i really NEED to eat 1200 cal like I used to? I know that worked 20 years ago....but It sucked big time. And I know, dont get all preachy...because I know its NOT GOOD FOR HEALTH. Does it help that i'm only 5 foot? I feel like ranting SO bad.

Today, Ive worked out and went to the sauna for 30mins. I still need to get in a walk outside, its in the 30's so, i've been avoiding it. I have my tennis on so, its going to happen soon.

On the plus side, my iwatch/apple watch still says i'm burning 2000 calories a day. so, I really do just need to make my portions a nibble smaller and I just KNOW I will be going in the right direction. and honestly, the 30 mins in the sauna was SOOOO goood and SUCH amazing self care for my soul.

• k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Welcome @spl8 and @pmastro724 You're among friends here! Lots of great support.

@SherryRueter - I hope this is a welcome comment, but maybe your body is saying it's in a good place!? Burning 2000/day calories is a lot! So no, you don't want to drop too low in intake. And in my mind 5ft / 106lbs (right?) is well within range of Amayzing!!!! so maybe it's your muscles saying "if you work me out any more I'm going to add some weight because I'm getting stronger"! Your tiny gain probably IS from leg day!! I have a tipping point (or I used to) around 120lbs where if I work out more I gain weight (muscles) and its almost impossible to lose weight without making myself sick and weak, because theres not much fluff to lose. I just had to come to peace with 120lbs being my body's happy place. Now if I could just get back there..... ha!

My heart goes out to you and your father. I hope he is ok. My dad (passed away in November) also had kidney failure, lost eyesight, amputee etc etc all bc of his diabetes and high sugar intake when he was younger/middle aged. We begged him for years to make diet changes. He cleaned up his act in his last decades and lost weight etc but the impacts on his body still directly led to his decline. I'm actually flying home Jan 21 to empty his condo and deal w estate lawyers, banks and stuff. It's heavy and I wish you luck convincing your dad to find his best health! You know this stuff so well, I'm sure you can help him! Take care ❤️
  • spl8
    spl8 Posts: 101 Member
    @SherryRueter, I'm closing in on 60, and I totally hear you. Aging metabolism s*cks. Maybe it's just water and you sweat it out in the sauna. I know that if I reduce my calories below 1200, not only do I hate the world, but I also get horribly constipated. Right now, I'm trying to adjust my macros while reducing calories, and I keep going over on carbs. I haven't eaten "white" food (bread, rice, potatoes) in ages, but even legumes, fruit, and veggies put me over. Dang. I don't want to just eat chicken, salmon, and tofu.

Today is day 12 for me on my yoga challenge. Have been doing well keeping up with that, but not always on target with my other activity goals.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    I hate that I’ve come to this realization but I do not lose even at 1200 calories. After all the calculations, losing a 1/2 pound a week puts me at around 1100. I can’t say I feel bad on it, feels like I do eat enough and it’s the only thing that makes the scale move down. The only thing I hate is the need to weigh every gram of food. Im trying it until my doc appt at the end of the month.

I feel for you @SherryRueter. Spent part of the day at the hospital yesterday for iron infusions for my mom. She also has kidney disease, diabetes, etc. sigh. It’s a struggle to get her to workout or be active - she has post stroke dementia and in the afternoons all she wants to do is sleep. I do the best I can.

@k8richly Hope you’re not going through this alone.
  • HoneyBadger302
    edited January 2023
    @SherryRueter her name is Nymeria.
    As for losing weight, honestly, from my research and education, the problem most women face is that we tend to lose muscle (men too) if we're not actively working on building/keeping it. I've seen some amazing women in their 50's, 60's, and even beyond who look fantastic and eat plenty, BUT, they really have to focus on building muscle and keeping it.
    Age related "metabolism" drops are greatly over exaggerated - unfortunately.
    ~~
    Floofy and I headed out hiking to another park in the area (not a state park, so ended up buying another parking pass, but the annual cost twice as much as the daily, so even if we only ever go twice it was worth the annual). After our hike we will definitely be back! Super easy to get to, and the trail was pretty rugged. Not a ton of elevation, but as rugged as it was it was still a workout. We only made it about 1/3 of the way around and were over the halfway mark for the time I had allotted, so we just back tracked. Today was "active recovery" so didn't want to push me or the dog to go the whole route (5 miles).

aivhnt9qcbek.jpg
    izqgrey94h6v.jpg

• LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    How is everyone doing? Today is going well. I got back on this site because not tracking hasn’t been very effective.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 724 Member
    edited January 2023
    Hi @spl8 welcome to the group! The yoga challenge sounds like fun.
    And welcome back @LovePBandJ (when I first read your name I read the "Band" as the word band and thought P-Band-J was some kind of rapper or something, LOL)!
    @SherryRueter, I'm sorry to hear about your father's medical problems, I hope both you and he are able to kick the sugar. <3
    My SO has diabetes and has rarely ever eaten sugar. He has been overweight for a long time though which I'm sure is what caused his T2D. He already has to take drops for his eyes and I'm just hoping that he'll lose weight this time and KEEP IT OFF, because when he drops weight his blood sugar gets under better control.
    @CeeBeeSlim, I hate weighing everything too, but I find that the weighing and tracking are the only things that keep me eating right, and losing or maintaining.
    @k8richly, I hope things go smoothly for you when you head home to deal with your father's estate <3
    @HoneyBadger302, le floof does not look so happy in the rain gear :smile: That new trail looks tough, not very flat terrain! Great scenery though.

• SherryRueter
    Ladies I love you gals! everything you shared is exactly what my heart and mind needed! I’ll do personal Shout outs later. But I wanted to say THANK YOU!!

I’m on the morning of day 3 sugar free. The last 2 days felt so empowering. (By sugar feee I’m meaning highly reduced sugar! I still have my mio for my water. And if I want ketchup I’m having it! But l cut out artificial sweetener packets . Not purposefully having cookies. I will have a protein bar. You get the picture.
  • LovePBandJ
    @SparkSpringtime69 lol, common thing to read. It’s why I capitalize the letters, to help with clarity, Love PB and J. Really, it’s a play in words. The letters represent my family. Each of our initials are P, B, and J.

I had a fine day with eating yesterday, but friends can’t over last night and there was wine. I’d sure like to find an enjoyable alternative.
  • LovePBandJ
    @SherryRueter - congrats on cutting down sugar. I’ve done that successfully. I rarely even desire sweets. When I do take a bite of something, it’s just too much. I can easily walk past chocolates, fresh baked bread, on the other hand, that is another story!