Random Acts of Questioning

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,843 Member
    Options
    Wonder what our boy PAV is up to these days? Hope he’s blissfully 😊!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    See recent post. Wishful for blissful. Reality bites. Need more blissfull!!!😍
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Why is Christmas all about cookies and sweets? I remember a PBS program about sugar. Apparently before universal access to refined sugar Neanderthals had strong teeth and bones throughout life. Albeit short lives.

When refined sugar appeared, toothlessness and other diseases became more common. You’d think that would be sufficient warning. And yet……
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    So I just read that Tim Horton’s is going to open in the US with several in Austin. I know it’s a fast food Canadian chain which I saw in my travels but never went in. Is it like McDonalds? Worth a visit? Anything special worth wasting calories on?
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Apparently grains also - as soon as we started homesteading our teeth starting rotting. .... this was an unposted reply to your last December post, Yooly!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Tim Hortons....was a donut franchise but has spread into sandwiches/soup/chili. Okay in that you know what to expect. The only thing I like there (which I discovered driving to Newfoundland) was the cilantro lime veggie bowl. Which include rice and beans and a small bit of salad with a very flavourful sauce. Other than that - okay donuts - but not spectacular and steeped tea.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Hmm - donuts no. Steeped tea in Texas- big no. Texans drink iced tea with mountains of sugar. You have to beg for unsweetened tea. And hot tea? Mainly in Chinese restaurants or special requests.
    Tim may have to modify the menu to local tastes. The veggie bowl would work along with sandwiches. But there are so many restaurants here already doing the same thing, I wonder what they would do to draw customers? Interesting!
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2023
    Options
    For texas and considering calories... NADA. Their chili is good enough... when compared to Wendy's chilli... but that's about it. I'm fairly sure you guys have better chili!

Their soups are good... when compared to no soup on the go! Sandwiches and breakfast sandwiches? Just hitting average I guess. I prefer subway or mcdonalds. If I'm splurging on breakfast getting their egg sandwich on a biscuit is good(er)--mcd's here doesn't do biscuits (only muffins, bagels, or the way too tasty pancake like thingy I can't remember the name off due to advanced age!).

Coffee. I do like and their decaf too. A lot of people do like their "frappuccino" equivalents which also tend to be lower priced than the other coffee shops.

Their donuts are not bad.. if you have a donut budget! Bagels I guess and tea biscuits would be my the best price performance. And you would have to watch the butter/cream cheese if you let them add any. I prefer to get the butter to go or not at all. So.... yeah.

Oh. Their hot chocolate is good for a machine hot chocolate too :smile: Unless you're ready to spend above 300 Cal and probably closer to between 500 to 750... you have no reason to walk in there except for Coffee.

300 Cal gets you into the tea biscuits or bagels. Croissants are ok too if you want only one instead of getting multiples from the store. I generally get soups and/or chili. But watch the bun it doubles/triples the calories of the "main dish". Problem is that while I'm there I might also stray to a boston cream or maple cream or ....
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I haven’t darkened the door of a fast food place in years. Don’t think there’s any need to visit Tim Hortons unless it’s an emergency. While it all sounds tasty, it doesn’t seem to be all that special. In fact many old established fast food places are closing here. Many shuttered Burger Kings and McDonalds.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,300 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Tim Horton's is more of a bakery/coffee shop type of restaurant - or at least that's how it started out back east. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, donuts & muffins. Then added bagels and tea biscuits (kind of like scones) and sandwiches on buns (like mini subs). Now fancy coffees too.
    They have wraps and salads now + soups that are pretty good.
    I love the breakfast farmer's wrap and the cinnamon raisin or 12 grain bagels toasted with steeped tea. Very difficult to get decent hot tea out usually. Will be interesting to see how they adapt for a different climate and tastes! 🇨🇦
    Timmy's is the kind of place people go to everyday around here, on their way to work or for lunch, as their prices are reasonable (I'm looking at you Starbucks!).
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    The past few weeks for me have gone something along the lines of 2 days good/1or2days okay/3 or 4 days bad. This has been going on for a year. Time to shake free of this mud.

I think I have just grown too comfortable with this. Too comfortable "not quite making it" too comfortable with the hamsters winning.

So my newest thought is to take a break from this wonderful group. Just log on / track my food and exercise / and bring this battle back to the "between-me-and-me arena." I'm not always nice to me - but maybe that is what is called for at the moment? I need to find a way to hold myself accountable. Sometimes I'm afraid that maybe we are a bit too kind to each other. Not saying I'm sure of that - but maybe? lol Maybe a good dose of cold harsh reality is called for.

So I'm going to put both feet out into the cold light of CICO reality and see what happens.

Tomorrow. Not tonight :)
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Noooooooo Laurie! Don’t leave us please! Or at least check in once in a while so we know you’re okay. 😢
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I can't really blame you for trying what you believe you need to try.
    Will you be missed by myself? Absolutely.
    Who else will I think of alerting about a relatively low calorie yet filling (if a bit expensive) find such as the stuffed butternut squash? :)
    And I owe you for the green beans with pasta sauce idea!

But I do hope you will still pop in and keep us in the loop!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Of course I'm going to check in.... I'm going to give this a couple of weeks and see what happens. I will report what I learn. 🙂

And look forward to your reports.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Thank you Laurie!❣️❣️❣️ I can’t imagine not having you here. Who would question PAVs crazy food combinations? Or doggy reports? Or adventures in dancing? Or just being an all around comfort on those bad days we all have?
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Laurie you are very much admired, liked, and needed here…but I do understand you needing to do you….please don’t take too long to return…I am just beginning to find my feet again!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    It is a new month - spring is on the horizon!

Reporting in after two weeks of going it alone: Didn't learn a freakin' thing.

Only good thing from the last two weeks is that I've logged every thing I ate. Painful as it was. In some ways it felt liberating??? Somehow it felt that logging everything = control. Not sure about that but I am pretty certain logging everything alone will not equal weight loss. :(

Weighed myself today. Trying to get my head around a fresh start concept.

Not sure what new spin I'm going to put on things to get a kick start to this fresh start. Last night a friend and I pledged to lose 5 pounds by February 10th. That should be easy at my current weight.

I don't think I'm capable of "moderate" behaviour. Hopefully I can't back on the chainsaw weight loss program for a bit. I know that has its inherent dangers but it is a familiar groove that I might be able to find again. If I can, I'll let the cards (pounds?) fall where they may and hope that I can do better on finding a way to maintain next time around.

If not maybe, I guess I just purchase my lifetime membership to this amusement park with the Bodyweight Rollercoaster. Maybe I can find a park with a kiddie rollercoaster? Not so high nor so low.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Laurie - hang in there. You’ve done it before and maybe learned a few things that work along the way? Small fixes over time?

Just yesterday I was watching tv and heard someone say “your body is a temple, not an amusement park”. Maybe we need to hold on to that thought.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm hanging in. :) I do sort of believe my body is a temple - but this freakin' weight loss endeavour feels more like a ride!
    Thank you, Yooly <3

I think I've learned a few things along the way. I know those little fixes really didn't/don't seem to work for me. You would laugh if you knew all the small changes I've made since I quite smoking 6 years ago - those ones that are suppose to help with maintaining a healthy weight. And I've learned that eating "normally" but maintaining "moderate" portion sizes doesn't work.

SO :smile: I'm about to try embracing the part of my personality that enjoys the rush of extremes. Maybe that is the way to go for me? It doesn't match the weight loss ideal - but maybe that will be what works? It worked before. I think it will work again for the weight loss component at least. When I achieve goal - this time I won't try to kid myself into believing I can be moderate. Nor will I ever believe again that MY version of normal eating is healthier than my version of "dieting" (though I'm nervous about using the D word). Or necessary for healing or anything like that. It just isn't.

I'm going "chainsaw" now. And when the body is pared down enough, I'm going to try to emulate our dear PAV. I'm really drawn to your extreme approach, PAV! Though your calorie determination isn't extreme - your approach to food management is wonderfully novel - perhaps even a bit whacko. >:) That I might be able to stay onboard with. And food is between me and me again. No grandchild around - no regular family dinner gatherings. I'm going to try my hardest to shed the role of "nester / feeder."

There will be occasional gatherings etc. But those are not what piles on crazy amounts of weight.
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I can report that January was a "wash" in spite of me "trying".

Starting and ending scale AND trend weight are the... exact same. In spite of some variation during the month.

Activity was up. I am feeling "better"/"stronger"/blah blah. So why no change? Well, logging quality and moving things around from day to day does affect the ability to come up with insights but I am hoping that longer term averages will still paint a true picture...

December: Alcohol: 4, Carbs: 1621, Fats: 1096 , Protein: 389 = 3111 Cal per day averaged over 31 days
    January: Alcohol: 4, Carbs: 1494, Fats: 1155 , Protein: 452 = 3105 Cal per day averaged over 31 days

Gee that intake looks remarkably... constant! ... I wonder why my weight is not moving? :astonished::unamused:

Well. At least it's not up! And maybe some food choices (as reflected by the macros) are moving towards more satiating eating