What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I reread a book from 1989 by Anne Rice, The Mummy (#1 in a series). It is not in her famous Vampire Chronicles series which I read and loved. I was researching book 2 which was co-written by her son Christopher Rice and one of the only Anne Rice books left that I have not read, sad to learn that she passed away in December 2021. I hadn't heard about this, she was 80 years old. I'm kind of surprised that I never heard of her passing because she was a favorite author, but I am not very connected to national news or social media that would have discussed this, I don't frequent many book sites other than Goodreads and just never heard about it. I am now reading book 2, The Passion of Cleopatra.

I read The Mummy years ago - don't remember much about it, but do remember I liked it. I did hear that Anne Rice had passed away. Sad, she was one of my favorite writers too. Her book The Witching Hour was one of the scariest. Of course, I read most of it one long, rainy, dark Sunday.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (translation by Bela Shayevich), classic dystopian written in 1921 and influenced George Orwell's 1984.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (translation by Bela Shayevich), classic dystopian written in 1921 and influenced George Orwell's 1984.

We is one of my FAVORITE books. Hope you like it!!
  • FitMary202
    Options
    White Noise by Don DeLillo. Dated, but I'm sticking with it for now...
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton. I got all of her novels for 99 cents on kindle so almost embarrassed NOT to read another one.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    A Prayer for the Crown-Shy (Monk & Robot, #2) by Becky Chambers
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Redshirts by John Scalzi
  • Catfish_Fan
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Bear Head (Dogs of War book 2) by Adrian Tchaikovsky (sci-fi)
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    A Clash of Kings - George R. R, Martin
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Owen Wister, The Virginian
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »

I chose that book next too. I was able to pick up a free e-book copy from Project Gutenberg website, and I have the audiobook on my iPod for immersion reading. I didn't realize that it was written in 1902 so is in the public domain now.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    FitMary202 wrote: »

I chose that book next too. I was able to pick up a free e-book copy from Project Gutenberg website, and I have the audiobook on my iPod for immersion reading. I didn't realize that it was written in 1902 so is in the public domain now.

For some reason, I thought it was a serious drama! Never expected humor, vanity, drinking, love (?), and mayhem to play a role in the story. Not finished yet, but I've seen all of that so far....
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Finished The Enigma Game by Elizabeth Wein (book 1 of a 4 book series) and started Code Name Verity (book 2).
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Almost finished with The Citadel by A. J. Cronin... Better start working on some other letters of the alphabet!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I have been a bit quiet, although I am still reading. I finished the Elizabeth Wein series and liked the books for the most part, book two was a 5 star read. Then I read a totally forgettable novel by Dean Koontz, The House at the End of the World. 2 stars.

Now I am starting a new series by Michael J. Sullivan. The series is called The Legends of the First Empire and it is fantasy. Book 1 is Age of Myth, and it is narrated (the audio book for immersion reading) by the great Tim Gerard Reynolds.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Almost finished with Daughters of the Flower Fragrant Garden by Zhuqing Li. From here I'm headed to a change of pace with Chester Himes's Real Cool Killers. Supposed to be a great crime novel from the 1950s.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Just finished Donna Leon, So Shall You Reap. Now I'll do Real Cool Killers. But I'm looking for something else as well. I need a change of pace for sure!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I finished Age of Myth and book 2, Age of Swords, and this weekend I am starting book 3, Age of War by Michael J. Sullivan. This is an epic fantasy series and is six books long.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Pausing the fantasy series to read book 5 of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's Pendergast series, Brimstone. I do jump around quite a bit from series to series so I won't get bored with an author, or an audiobook narrator.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Mr. Penumra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan