Downsizers Team Chat - MAY 2023

Options

Replies

• GirlOnTheRebound
    GirlOnTheRebound Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am curious about how everybody approaches food and weight loss. Do you eat everything in moderation or are you very strict? Are there any foods you absolutely can not be around?

I am an everything in moderation girl. I do drastically limit anything fried but not for weight loss reasons but cholesterol. I also limit sodium for health as well. I am at my mommas for daddy's remembrance in Canada for 2 weeks and she is a power walker and a chocolate eater. I am not tempted by anything here but I am enjoying canadian foods like poutine, shreddies, beavertail and ketchup chips. Averaging 20000 steps per day so I should even out lol.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,501 Member
    Options
    hrg88kepl8wm.jpg

MAY WEEK 1 RESULTS
    TOP 5 STEPPERS ARE:
    1st @Huckleterrie 111,069 steps
    2nd @NouveauRee 87,119 steps
    3rd @tahm42 80,821 steps
    4th @rwillems 76,482 steps
    5th @itladyee 71, 380 steps
    WELL DONE EVERYBODY :):):)
    As A Group We Walked 313,807 steps
    GREAT JOB EVERYONE :):):):)

RECOGNIZING EVERYONE WHO PLEDGED THEIR STEPS

@lindamtuck2018 5/7
    @aactuallyaash 4/7
    @itladyee 6/7
    @Jpedno 2/7
    @rwillems 7/7
    @Huckleterrie 5/7
    @MSWarrior7088 7/7
    @tahm42 5/7
    @adianeschu 4/7
    @NouveauRee 6/7
    @Fazola 7/7
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Alright I am off to put my leg up and to put ice on my hip ... I am on the couch the rest of the day... Have a great day everyone :)
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    I am curious about how everybody approaches food and weight loss. Do you eat everything in moderation or are you very strict? Are there any foods you absolutely can not be around?

I was VERY strict during my weight loss. I've eased up since I hit Maintenance but I still stay away from zero nutrition foods like pop and chips/candy. I'll eat stuff like pizza (veggie pizza, sometimes vegan) and chicken shawarmas as long as there's some nutritional value.

Do you have Shelby’s in Windsor? I love chicken shawarmas.

We actually have one opening June.1
  • Stacimfit
    Stacimfit Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Personally, I am currently very strict. I started getting myself prepped for Keto about a month ago. Eliminating sugars, bread, potatoes. I started buying some low carb bread, then sweet potatoes, and clean, fresh foods. Then a week leading up to the start, I ate raspberries as the only sweet treat. I Fasted the next morning and bam! Ate my keto concoctions and am on day 5! I am being strict currently so I do not go over 30g carbs a day and I want to get used to what my macros should look like.. Then I won't be so strict anymore, and will just chose low carb options for awhile hoping the weight will start slowly dropping off after some time.

On the normal, I don't measure every thing but I usually always count out servings so I don't go over and I usually stop eating when I feel full right away.. and I am strict about drinking 8 glasses of water a day. But no I don't tend to live my life so strictly but I can see it having benefits lol.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,510 Member
    Options

I was VERY strict during my weight loss. I've eased up since I hit Maintenance but I still stay away from zero nutrition foods like pop and chips/candy. I'll eat stuff like pizza (veggie pizza, sometimes vegan) and chicken shawarmas as long as there's some nutritional value.

Do you have Shelby’s in Windsor? I love chicken shawarmas.

We actually have one opening June.1

You got to try it. Yummy! Now I want to get a shawarma.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options

I am currently having the best eleven days of weight loss I have had for some time, and I can definitely say not having tempting foods around has been a lifesaver. No chips, other than my husband's corn chips. I keep reminding myself that I don't actually care for them, so why would I eat his beloved treat, especially right now when he is working 16 hour days? And nothing chocolate! For a sweet treat after dinner, I will have a bowl of Quaker instant oatmeal. Maple and Brown Sugar oatmeal is definitely sweet!
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options

I am an everything in moderation girl. I do drastically limit anything fried but not for weight loss reasons but cholesterol. I also limit sodium for health as well. I am at my mommas for daddy's remembrance in Canada for 2 weeks and she is a power walker and a chocolate eater. I am not tempted by anything here but I am enjoying canadian foods like poutine, shreddies, beavertail and ketchup chips. Averaging 20000 steps per day so I should even out lol.

I am sorry about your dad. :'( I know when my son comes back to Canada, he also gets his fill of ketchup chips while he is here!
  • NachDeezy
    NachDeezy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

Hello my friend! I think I am a mixture of both.. When I first came to yall, I was planning on cheating here and there to keep myself motivated.. Then someone posted that comment about "Don't reward yourself with food. You are not a dog." and it immediately changed my thinking. While I do have that dog in me when it comes to losing weight, I probably shouldn't give myself treats ;)

I definitely acknowledge that for most people things can be done in moderation, but I am not built like that. If I have one slice of pizza.. It will turn into two.. then a bad day...then a bad week.. then I will fall off. Same for sushi.. Same for Ethiopian food (which is actually the greatest food of all time)..

Because of all this, I have become strict and found substitutes where I can grub goodies but make sure I stay in moderation. For example.. The other day I had 2 pizzas (2!!). I used Outer Aisle cauliflower Italian crust, measured my sauce, measured my cheese, used turkey pepperoni, and sliced up a serving of sweet peppers. Came to around 700 cals for both.. Did it again another day but topped it with pulled pork, sweet peppers, and some bacon- measured everything again, of course. That time the two pizzas came out to around 850 total. Still ended the day between 1200-1300 cals because I took it easy at lunch. I eat amazing sandwiches with measured guacamole, meat, and cheese on Outer Aisle everything cauliflower thins or broccoli thins. Puts me around 400-450 cals for lunch on those day.

I am certainly strict on my calorie count, but find places to give myself opportunities to practice moderation while using substitutes. Last time I dieted there were so few options and I quickly fell off, but we seem to be at a time now where there are substitutions for everything. Miracle noodles, cauliflower or broccoli based "bread", almond based tortillas, on and on. This is the farthest I have ever made it without ever bending a rule and it has everything to do with those options and this group.
  • NachDeezy
    Options
    Stacimfit wrote: »
    Bone Broth is disgusting!! Anyone know what I'm talking about?

hahaha 100%
  • NachDeezy
    Options
    itladyee wrote: »

I try to do everything in moderation while staying within my calorie budget which is different for each day. I like to munch on salty crunchy things but my body is not carb friendly. I also enjoy red "empty calorie" wine. So my plan looks something like this:
    • Everything in moderation - daily calorie range of 1000 to 1400
    • Limit wine consumption
    • Nuts for salty/crunchy satisfaction
    • AND...in case of emergency and calories allow - I will eat pork skins (I wish there was a low sodium version) fat yes, but low/no carbs.

I will always be a sucker for a good pinot noir!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Tremendous job!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    NachDeezy wrote: »
    SW: 630
    PW: 578.2
    CW: 572.4

5.8 down. So thankful the plateau hasn't hit yet, but we are definitely slowing down. Fingers crossed for a new decade next week!! Appreciate yall!!

Awesome loss Nacho :)
  • aactuallyaash
    aactuallyaash Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018

aactuallyash
    Tuesday
    PW 247.2
    CW 252.6

Thanks!
  • jimboden3
    jimboden3 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018

JimBoden3
    Weigh-in Day: Friday (May 12, 2023)
    PW: 237.7
    CW: 237.9

I've been working so hard this week that I forgot it was Friday! I worked out much harder than usual yesterday and I sure am feeling it now, but that's a good thing. We leave for Indianapolis at noon today for a soccer tournament for our youngest son and we have one game tonight and then another first thing on Saturday morning. After that, we continue on to Ohio with our other son so he can move into a new apartment and start his summer internship. Then it's back to Indianapolis for the 3rd soccer game on Sunday afternoon. The nice thing is one of our daughters lives in Indianapolis so my wife will get to celebrate Mother's day with 3/4ths of our kids (the other one is in Columbus, OH). I'll have to be choosy with food choices between the soccer team dinner tonight (Mexican) & lunch (BBQ) on Sunday, meals on the go between cities and mothers day brunch. Whew!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options

We used to bring shreddies to my brother in the States all the time.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    NachDeezy wrote: »
    SW: 630
    PW: 578.2
    CW: 572.4

5.8 down. So thankful the plateau hasn't hit yet, but we are definitely slowing down. Fingers crossed for a new decade next week!! Appreciate yall!!

Way to get. New decade here you come.
This discussion has been closed.