Shape Shifters Team Chat - JULY 2023

Options

Replies

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Cyncia85 wrote: »

I went for a bike ride recently with a friend and I was apologizing for being slow. I felt like I was slowing her down. She responded, 'we're in this together." <3

Can you remind me, what exactly are you doing? Is it kayaking? Canoeing? Something different?

@Cyncia85 - Yes! It’s so nice to have workout friends who are supportive while also keeping us accountable because we want to show up for them, too!

I was sculling when my oar hit the water and I lost my balance, flipping my boat so I had to turn it over and jump back in (while treading water in the middle of the river). 😬

I’ll try to upload a picture of the Potomac River where we row (and I sometimes accidentally swim!) 🙄💦 — and one of a single scull I rowed on a lake recently. The middle picture shows the bruise I gave myself throwing myself over the boat to get back in and keep it from flipping again. It doesn’t hurt so it looks worse than it feels!

I also ‘sweep’ row in a boat with eight people a few days a week during the warmer weather. Usually, we start in March or April and end in early November.

cfi908augzeb.jpeg
    pmblj0l87wzt.jpeg
    ockfkthqotj1.jpeg

P.S. Sorry I don’t know how to use the spoiler on my phone!
  • bearchested
    bearchested Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Bearchested
    Friday
    PW: 185.4
    CW: 183.2
    LTD: 23.8

Jessica - I won't be able to weigh in next week.

I'm about to spend the next week biking across my home state of Iowa. Iowa hosts RAGBRAI every year, a week long social cycling ride across the state. As an Iowa native it's been on my bucket list and this year is the 50th ride.

This also marks a bit of a reflection point for me. My goal weight for the ride was 175-180, down from 195. I didn't make it, so that will be my goal by December.

I've always enjoyed cycling but I've never had a road bike until January of this year. I've learned a lot from it, including macro intake for fueling on longer rides (it's not really that much, like 30-60g of carbs per hour). I'm also glad I stayed with strength training during the last month, when I was also training on the bike every day to get used to multiple days in the saddle in a row. If I didn't have my coach I would have stopped strength training completely to focus on cycling over the last few weeks. He adjusted my training so I could recover easily and reduce the risk of overtraining, along with continuing to get stronger and leaner.
  • dancingonstarz
    dancingonstarz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    dancingonstarz
    Friday
    PW: 159.8
    CW: 157 (-2.8)
    LTD: 9.6
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    @Bearchested Have a great time on the ride! My cousin, Julie, and her husband, Barry, and some of their friends will be riding with you!

@SavageMrsMoose

Friday weigh in

PW: 134
    CW 135.5

Total loss to date: 37.1

Not super worried about the gain- flew yesterday and ate airplane food which was super salty. I often gain a pound or two after flying. I had some good runs and did a lot of walking on the trip. At least the trip home was better than going- everything on time!

@PatriceFitnessPal I will check out the link to the other group- thank you. I have lost a decent amount of weight before- In law school I got up to 165 pounds, then got down to 140 and stayed below 145 for about a decade. It is a different challenge. This time, I have my daughter's wedding in 10 months and possibly my son's the following year so I'm hoping those motivations will keep me at a lower weight for a good bit of time and allow me the opportunity to settle in to my lower weight. I know I can do 145, but I like being at 135.

My biggest change- drinking less alcohol. Snacking less (lots of mindless calories). Smaller portions. I have always exercised a great deal- I think I've run at least 1000 miles per year, sometimes, 2000 or more, every year except during pregnancies. I've added the bike and strength training in the last 5-10 years and my focus right now is to re-build some muscle- I feel a little flabby.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • kodakslim
    kodakslim Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Username: Kodakslim
    Weigh-in day: Friday
    PW: 158
    CW: 157.4

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Tue 7/18: 10,057
    Wed 7/19: 14,565
    Thu 7/20: 8,661
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    frankwbrown
    July week 3
    Weigh in day: Friday, July 21
    PW: 242.6
    CW: 240.8 ( lost 1.8 lbs; 0.74% this week)
  • cre804
    cre804 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Cre804
    PW 189.0
    CW 189.0

Today ok with maintaining since it was my birthday week.

Admin please excuse next weeks weigh in as we will be on vacation. Looking forward to spending time with the family at Smith Mountain Lake, VA!
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just back from a couple weekends of vacation/travelling and starting to catch up on posts.

@savagemrsmoose Congratulations on reaching your goal weight! That's fantastic!

@jessicakrall8 I hope it cools down for you soon and that your swelling goes down as well.

@pupowl I hope you had a nice visit with your mom and enjoyed photographing the birds!

@PatriceFitnessPal I've flipped many times in singles, doubles and even in a four, which happened at the dock while taking our oars out before getting out of the boat :D ! I remember every single time it happened. It's not easy at all getting your boat upright and back in it on the water. You need very good strength and balance to do it! So way to go for getting back in and also for your improvements!
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ganival
    friday

pw 174.4
    cw 174.4

wow exactly the same as last week, interesting! while the scale isn't reflecting much change for me lately i do have some nsv, primarily my resting heart rate. i've noticed my RHR is 10 beats lower than a year ago which i know means increased cardiovascular fitness. i've been really focussing on zone 2 exercise and strength training. going to banff next week and i'm looking forward to hiking some hills. in the past i've literally cried on trails as i was so slow, breathing so hard and kept getting passed by people who looked way older than me! i'll take fitter over smaller for now and keep working on my calorie deficit :)
  • pedal__power
    pedal__power Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    pedal__power
    PW 201.8 (from two weeks ago)
    CW 201.8

I've been away the past couple weeks, travelling to see family and then for a little family getaway. While I'm still catching up at home and work, I'm feeling more recharged after taking some time off.

While we were away, I didn't track my food but was conscious of what I was eating and tried to be careful with portion sizes.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    Angmarie28
    Wednesdays
    Previous weight-177.6
    Current weight-177.6

Same weight 3 weeks in a row. Well at least it's not going up
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    7/13-5,265
    7/14-6,538
    7/15-12,371
    7/16-11,315
    7/17-10,225
    7/18-5,784
    7/19-8,498
    7/20-8,460
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited July 2023
    Options
    @bearchested - You’ve been so committed to your training in preparation for the ride — It’s very inspiring! I’ll look forward to hearing about your experience.

I’ve only been to Iowa once, but it seemed quite bike-friendly to me. I was in Des Moines visiting my brother when he was coaching the Iowa Wild hockey team; so, we spent more time in the arena than sightseeing, but I enjoyed the vibrant downtown and noticed the bike paths along the river. It must be pure pleasure for cyclists to have such long, uninterrupted routes. We had unseasonably warm weather that weekend, and enjoyed walking along the path at Pappajohn Sculpture Park, too. My nephews used to call my father - their grandfather - Papa John so it felt like a perfect day.

I’m sure the ride will be scenic and fun! My older son loved taking pictures of the clear night sky during our visit. I’m not sure if you are staying at hotels along the bike route, or camping out, but the stars will probably be beautiful.
    Will you visit friends and family while you’re there?

Best wishes in your bucket list goal! I bet you’ll be at - or very close to your goal weight by the end of the trip! Good work 👍🏼 to both you and your support network at home!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    Nice job! @dancingonstarz and @kodakslim!

Wow 🤩 — We have four weigh-in reports that were exactly the same as the prior one. We sure are a consistent group! As @angmarie28 noted, it’s better than a gain. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for all the insights about tracking and maintenance! I like those chicken pot pies @frankwbrown but I haven’t had one in quite awhile so it’s good to know about the smaller portion size. Good point about alcohol calories @SavageMrsMoose!

It’s common to overestimate calories burned and underestimate calories consumed so I appreciate the general guidance on fueling longer workouts @bearchested.

Welcome back @pedal_power, and I hope everyone enjoys the weekend!

• mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Mulecanter
    Friday
    PW: 228.5
    CW: 228.5
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,103 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    ganival wrote: »
    ganival
    friday

pw 174.4
    cw 174.4

wow exactly the same as last week, interesting! while the scale isn't reflecting much change for me lately i do have some nsv, primarily my resting heart rate. i've noticed my RHR is 10 beats lower than a year ago which i know means increased cardiovascular fitness. i've been really focussing on zone 2 exercise and strength training. going to banff next week and i'm looking forward to hiking some hills. in the past i've literally cried on trails as i was so slow, breathing so hard and kept getting passed by people who looked way older than me! i'll take fitter over smaller for now and keep working on my calorie deficit :)

@garnival I had 175.4 for last week. Please advise if that was incorrect. UPDATE: I figured it out...whomever recorded it last week listed them backwards...apologies.
    Jessica
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 - I’m glad you were able to get off the work treadmill for a little while and enjoy time with your friend.

@garnival - That’s a very rewarding non-scale victory! Congratulations on your improved health.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
This discussion has been closed.