WaistAways Team Chat - AUGUST 2023

Options

Replies

• MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was not so good... Today will be a perfect day.

@Gidgitgoescrzy Personally, I would go for better instead of perfect. Perfect seems like a set-up for failure and an excuse for justifications and compromise. Nothing is perfect, except it seems like better could be. :smile:

@jugar thanks for the concern about the water intake for 75 hard. To be honest, I should call it 75 medium or 75 easy. My friend and I both plan to tweak it a little to fit our life. We work together and both have a trip to visit a customer in the middle of September. It will be too hard to get both workouts in and avoid alcohol on that trip. So, instead of starting over, we are just allowing ourselves a break over that weekend. Also, with my work schedule, the outdoor workout of 45 minutes will be three 15 minute workouts during my breaks. So, 75 hard-ish. Also, I've done the 75 hard before for about a month before I caught the flu and had to stop. The water intake was actually not that hard or that bad. With all the working out, I wanted to drink all that water.
  • MaddawgMadsen
    MaddawgMadsen Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Weigh-in Tuesday

Jolene aka MaddawgMadsen
    PW: 181.6
    CW: 183.2 ... I knew this was coming after this last weekend :# This next week will be better.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,082 Member
    Options
    @micki48 you have to find out how many calories you burn in a water balloon fight on a hot day! It must be plenty. I'm so glad your friend is going to visit you - I bet you'll have a fantastic time. And yes! Try that weight + Pilates stuff. It is fun.

Tuesday has been pretty good. It was not too terribly hot here, so it was possible to get a lot done without melting. I went from mad errand running to a horse workout session to mowing and garden work. Food has been good - I have a batch of my favourite late summer dish. It is sort of a cross between ratatouille and succotash. Lots of summer vegetables with fresh herbs and chickpeas. Great hot or cold. I'm making more tomorrow!

Weigh-in update:
    @strong_fit_ells (and we want to hear how it went at the gym!)
    @cleaneater80
    @Gidgitgoescrzy
    @asmallerlea

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    @Gidgitgoescrzy

I get the feeling. I keep having really good days and then a really bad day or two to offset it all. Have fun with your kids in ND!

Got a great sleep score last night which I love. Today is extremely busy- a full day of meetings and then a retirement party for one of my closest work friends and mentors. It's a cocktail hour and then dinner so it'll be late. The dinner is at a very fancy steakhouse. My plan is to keep my alcohol down as I know the meal will be more indulgent. We'll see how I fare!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    @Gidgitgoescrzy I could have said this myself.
    I've done this before, I know how to do it, I just don't understand why I am not doing it.

I think, for me, as I get older I don’t really care what other people think about me and I want to do what I want. But in the end, we know if we don’t feel great in our bodies for more healthy reasons, we really need to do something.

I often wonder if I’ll ever get the weight down and kept off. While I have been better at exercise than I currently am, I don’t see myself exercising like many of you. It’s not how I define myself. I’d say I’m a person who is kind of active not I’m a person who pushes the limits of my body. I don’t think I’m lazy, but I don’t mind being a little lazy. I guess it’s better to call it relaxing. 😂

Oh well. Breakfast is logged. Hopefully I can consume fewer than 2400 calories today because that’s not going to get me where I want to be.

Cloudy and warm here today with a long day ahead entertaining a 5 year old. I’m tired. Maybe she’ll take a nap. 😂 I got up early and did 25 minutes of Pilates. Mostly for my hip. It helped for sure. Not much deep sleep last night. I keep getting up four or five times a night. Ugh.

Have fun on your trip Vikki. Post a photo if you can. My son was just is SD for work and it was gorgeous.
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I read an interesting post today about "strategic underachievement." It basically says we can't do everything and be perfect, so if you really want to focus on something, choose something else that you can suck at for a while. If you want to focus on your exercise routine, your house may not be as clean or you may not be able to watch all the shows on netlfix. You decide on what can give way a little to help focus on your priority. It helps you not burn out.

I found this topic very interesting. I know I was talking about my exercise recently and how to plan my various workouts. I am now trying to think if there is something I can cut back on to fit in joggin a few days a week until my 5k. Too bad I can't cut back on work 😂

What are your thoughts on strategic underachievement?
  • jugar
    Options
    @lauren_989 that is an interesting question. Our changing priorities certainly demand that some things give while something else takes precedence for a while. I was certainly an underachiever of good sleep while my kids were little, as anyone of us who has lived through that stage knows! And in the lead-up to any major concert project, practicing and rehearsing have to take over a lot of other things. I think we deal well with this juggling when it is a big project or some other obvious external demand. Where it gets hard is when it is a self-directed goal that we somehow feel should not detract from our "normal" duties and responsibilities, enjoyments and lifestyle. Getting in shape and eating in a healthy well-planned way maybe feels selfish? Or it is a change that is hard to commit to because it means underachieving things that we like to do (eat the ice cream and watch the netflix!). Great question.

Right now, I am underachieving at being a host for my brother-in-law who arrived for a visit today. My taller half and his brother are discussing politics.:grimace: I can't take it so I'm here instead! Good choice, I say.
  • jugar
    Options
    Weigh-in update - here's the list! Due through Thursday:
    @strong_fit_ells
    @cleaneater80
    @asmallerlea
    @ashleycarole86
    @DD265
    @conleywoods
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    CW: 97.5

Life is still crazy here. I'm working 10-12 hour days, not having my Friday afternoons off, and during those hours I'm constantly rushing from one thing to another. And meetings, so many meetings.

I have the last week of August off though, and things should calm down after that as I drop a customer, and will have hit a milestone on another next week. I'm planning to do things like get my nails done, visit the library and go exploring - not chores and jobs like I would normally. It's me-time, and a reset week, but no pressure.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,133 Member
    Options
    @jugar gonna weigh in late this week
    Was out until 12:30 at the retirement party. Super tired but it was amazing to send an amazing lady off in style.
  • Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Sorry I've disappeared for a bit. We went away to the lakes and I did not log or weigh in for the last 2 weeks. I hope I'm still 'here' and not been kicked off Waistaways. Otherwise @jugar please can I rejoin?
    We ate mostly junk meals and I was sure I would have gained some weight but I seem to actually have stayed roughly the same I think. Probably because we did A LOT of walking. I'll weigh in again on my official day tomorrow and see.
    Just caught up on 7 pages of posts here. Some real inspiration and insights!
    As for me, I have a family wedding in December so I'm hoping that'll give me some motivation to be good. Hubby has bought some HUEL powder as he sometimes struggles to get enough food in during long work days. I wonder if people have used it to help with weight loss? Generally I'm a bit 'anti' food replacements, powders etc but it's made me curious...especially the claims about it being nutritionally complete etc.
  • jugar
    Options
    Well - the wild 9 days of having people visiting has begun! The best part is that no one drinks alcohol (except me :blush: but I'll go with the crowd this time :smiley: ). The hardest part is that every dinner has veg and non veg people, gluten and non-gluten - but I'm used to that, so it should be OK. I'm so excited to see my daughter and for her new-ish partner to have his first real visit to Québec. He was in the province once for a few weeks training but never got off the army base, so this will be way more fun!
  • Gidgitgoescrzy
    Gidgitgoescrzy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was a good day, not a perfect day, but much better than the previous 3. The scale reflected that this morning too...

Anyway, sleep has not been great, I just am so tired lately. I gotta get this fixed. I think I need to start eating better, and getting back to the food prep game...

Ahh well, It will get better...

I hope you all have a great weekend, I will be back on weds.

• PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    @jugar please excuse my weigh-in this week. I'm likely to be absent for a bit, hope to catch back up soon. I will keep your voices in my head while I'm away!
  • lauren_989
    lauren_989 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    @PlaneMonkey I hope everything is ok!

So today was definitely not a good day for me. We had a work dinner tonight, I was tired, and any restraint went out the window! I don't normally drink but indulged in 2 glasses of wine. And the creme brulee was amazing along with seafood ravioli 🙈

The prior 2 days weren't the best either. I need to get back into my rhythm here. Hoping I didn't do too much damage in 3 days.
  • jugar
    Options
    Pearl4686 wrote: »
    Hello all. Sorry I've disappeared for a bit. We went away to the lakes and I did not log or weigh in for the last 2 weeks. I hope I'm still 'here' and not been kicked off Waistaways. Otherwise @jugar please can I rejoin?
    We ate mostly junk meals and I was sure I would have gained some weight but I seem to actually have stayed roughly the same I think. Probably because we did A LOT of walking. I'll weigh in again on my official day tomorrow and see.
    Just caught up on 7 pages of posts here. Some real inspiration and insights!
    As for me, I have a family wedding in December so I'm hoping that'll give me some motivation to be good. Hubby has bought some HUEL powder as he sometimes struggles to get enough food in during long work days. I wonder if people have used it to help with weight loss? Generally I'm a bit 'anti' food replacements, powders etc but it's made me curious...especially the claims about it being nutritionally complete etc.

No problem to come right back in - we missed you! It sounds like your time in the lakes had some balance - good walking even if the food was not ideal. Taking the period from now to December's family wedding is a good inspiration to set in some good practices.

Your curiosity about HUEL raises that interesting question about meal replacements. I am more than a bit 'anti' - I know that the ease of using them and the closing of the question of portion control and other pesky issues is tempting and possibly helpful for some people or for short periods. I tried that route for a while many years ago, but it was not sustainable. I am not at all convinced that the "ideal" chemical balance, all the "right" macros, vitamins, minerals, etc. without actual food is absorbed, used, or understood by our bodies in the right way. I have done some reading about the effects of enriched flour and other tinkering humans have tried - on balance, there are some tricky consequences on the digestion/brain connections. I'm not saying you should not give it a try or use it as a boost to get going, but sooner or later you have to go back to eating food, and it might be more effective to work on better balances there. Do the research, though, and see what you want to try. Curiosity and experimentations aren't going to kill any cats here!
This discussion has been closed.