Options

Replies

• jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Fri 9/8: 9,339
    Sat 9/9: 2,454

@frankwbrown Hope your back is feeling better soon, Frank!!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,087 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    For any of you in the US, if you live near a Trader Joe's grocery, I have a favor to ask. My friend who works in one keeps me stocked in the low-fat Trader Joe's Beef Chili, but she tells me she's being told it's being discontinued. If you find and can purchase 10 cans, I'll pay for it and the shipping to send it to me. Let me know. I love it...best canned chili I've ever tasted. Low fat, low calorie (whole can for 360), high fiber and vitamin A. Delicious...

kdi8k642g2q5.png
    Jessica
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Sunday steps 3749
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,206 Member
    Options
    For any of you in the US, if you live near a Trader Joe's grocery, I have a favor to ask. My friend who works in one keeps me stocked in the low-fat Trader Joe's Beef Chili, but she tells me she's being told it's being discontinued. If you find and can purchase 10 cans, I'll pay for it and the shipping to send it to me. Let me know. I love it...best canned chili I've ever tasted. Low fat, low calorie (whole can for 360), high fiber and vitamin A. Delicious...

kdi8k642g2q5.png
    Jessica
    Next time I make it to my Trader Joe's, I'll see if they have any. https://www.reddit.com/r/traderjoes/comments/15gjr4p/beef_chili_discontinued/
    On reddit, someone recommended Cattle Drive Gold Chili from Costco as an alternative.
    Here's the nutrition labels of both:
    a7th3pl5c7ve.png
    p6hiqm5gpd0r.png
    It's clear Trader Joe's is much lower in fat. Of course, taste is important as well. The convenience of canned chili is hard to beat, but I've made a number of chili's using Carroll Shelby's Chili Mix, adding chicken or beef or pork or even shrimp once. As a non-cooker, I was quite pleased with the results.
    (I tend to like it a little spicy.)
  • Cyncia85
    Cyncia85 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm up about 3 lbs. :neutral:

Cyncia85 weigh-in for Sat. 9/10
    PW = 207.6
    CW = 210.4
  • Cyncia85
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Cyncia85 Steps for Fri 9/9 = 8,504
    Above my goal!! :smile:
  • Cyncia85
    Options
    This is a long post about VO2 max.

A couple months ago I upgraded my smartwatch. My Garmin smartwatch has a VO2 max performance stat. Improving this number is one of my goals as I progress along my fitness journey.

Sharing what I've gathered about VO2 max in case you're new to this stat and would also like to improve it...
    Disclaimer- please check with your preferred health professional.

VO2 Max is an indicator to help improve your aerobic fitness. It shows how much oxygen your body absorbs and use while working out. V= volume. O2=oxygen.

"VO2 max shows how well your heart pushes blood to your muscles and how efficiently your muscles can extract that oxygen from your circulating blood. " (Cleveland Clinic Link)

Improving your VO2 max is related to how much cardio you can handle. For example, as you improve the number you will be able to hike, swim, or run with more intensity and longer periods of time.

How to improve it:
    -High-intensity training (HIIT), which requires doing a few minutes of intense aerobic exercise, reducing intensity for a few minutes and then increasing again.
    -Low-intensity training like running, biking, hiking or rowing.
    - Decrease body fat percentage and preserve lean muscle mass

5. Find Your 5K and 10K times
    If you’re a runner, you may find it helpful to know how fast you can run 5 kilometers and 10 kilometers. The pace that you can run these two distances roughly correlates with the pace you need to run at to achieve 90 to 95 percent of your max heart rate.

bnw6sulxbm4r.jpg

"The first thing to understand is that a higher VO2 max is generally better than a lower VO2 max. A higher VO2 max means that your body is better at taking oxygen from the air and delivering it to your muscles. The more oxygen your muscles can get, the more nutrients you can aerobically transform into the molecular fuel (ATP) that your muscles use to contract and perform. This is important because your aerobic metabolic pathways are by far your most efficient source of energy for your body. " (Garmin link)

The above chart can help determine goals. And to figure out a timeline...

"Many of the studies have found the largest increase in Vo2 max have used a 10-week training program consisting of six workouts per week." (Healthline link)

Increasing your overall levels of cardiovascular fitness is associated with benefits such as:

increased lifespan
    better quality of life
    reduced stroke risk
    reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer
    improved mood
    better sleep

Sources:
    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-is-vo2-max-and-how-to-calculate-it/

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fitness/whats-a-good-vo2-max-for-me/

https://www.healthline.com/health/exercise-fitness/how-to-improve-vo2-max#:~:text=How long does it take,to make your workouts harder.
  • Sbus12
    Sbus12 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Weigh day
    PW 181.1
    CW 179.9
  • magnusMLQ
    magnusMLQ Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    magnusMLQ

Monday
    PW: 230.6
    CW: 232.6
  • Armygirlarmyof1
    Armygirlarmyof1 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @Pupowl and @jessicakrall8, I need excused for next Monday, September 18th. I'll be out of town. Ty
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Steps
    9/10 9,488
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Weigh In Day: Saturday
    PW (Previous Weight): 205.8
    CW (Current Weight): 208.6

:(
  • Sbus12
    Sbus12 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Way to go @Armygirlarmyof1 !! Hope you’re doing something enjoyable on your time way! Enjoy!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    @Becoming_A_Butterfly Just wanted to mention this, because last week you were also a few days late. The week for the groups and spreadsheets end on Saturday, so if you aren't able to post before Sunday mornings, your weight will not be taken into account for the group standing. It is possible to change your weigh in day if you want. Also, since this was your first September weigh in for the group, we had your PW as 207.6 which is what you used when you signed up. Just let us know if you would like to change days.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8
    Steps goal 8000:
    9/9 3,113
    9/10 3,899

Tax Season... :/
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    looneycatblue