• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,980 Member
    Options
    Looks
    Farback wrote: »
    vfsjnpai9uhs.jpeg
    a5ljqnt01ex3.jpeg
    r6cv3zblpaql.jpeg

In the past six weeks, by myself, I tore off an old hemlock deck, replaced it with a new 12x19 deck and added a new one on the front of the house. I did skip my gym workouts while doing this. Lots of exercise.

Looks amazing!! Well done!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,451 Member
    Options
    @Farback: Beautiful decks! I can believe there was some exercise involved!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,358 Member
    Options
    Yesterday - seven or eight hours of paddling to survey for invasive aquatic weeds. We explored lots of back channels and sloughs. We did find some offenders, and we had people with us to spray them out. We did fine one large infestation that will have to get sprayed another time - we didn't have staff or enough herbicide to take care of that one. We found a known infestation that was treated last year. It was much better, and we did the second treatment that might eradicate it as a source of future infestation. That felt good.

x2sic1b10967.jpg
    ks2xu8h9mmpi.jpg

Today I did about five hours of hiking to see wildflowers up in the Cascades. I explored an additional trail I hadn't been on yet, and it was more of a route than a trail. Kicked my butt. Part of that was probably breathing the wildfire smoke that was in the air. Part was just being up over 5000 feet and hiking in the hot sun.
    szwdvzh7q64z.jpg
    aq2cfwp9y0uo.jpg
    2ci4ffc49py5.jpg
    i0m5fb1dg2cu.jpg

ieqc8idxkv68.jpg
    jmeg26up13w8.jpg
    lt67pxm7zb79.jpg
    rd0pr39zuhk9.jpg

Tomorrow I go spend a few days paddling a river I love and camping with friends along the way.

• UncleMac
    Options
    So much awesome!!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Weekly hike - about 7.37 miles.

At 1.2 miles there's a fork in the trail. I usually go left and stay on the trail I started on, then after doing the peak loop come down another trail on a different ridge and take another trail that heads back to the place where I had turned left. This time I turned right at the 1.2 mile mark and did that part of the loop in a different direction. I was surprised how different it felt.

tn9aud1ahocs.jpg

All the tiger lilies are gone. Some of the things that were flowering now have fruits. I found some huckleberries for a snack.

u3yv0htp0qyn.jpg

I saw monkeyflower, foxglove and chinquapin and many other flowering plants.

869gzenb6096.jpg

0xi6p7ysp3je.jpg

aywg25s6nh49.jpg

hllewibmg0ks.jpg

Fireweed is blooming.

crdhdozohoia.jpg

In one of the wetter areas was some maidenhair fern.

g02geg5tclfh.jpg

I don't understand why some folks just don't think rules apply to them. Where I parked there is a big sign that says day use only and all vehicles and equipment have to be gone before 22:00. Well, on the far end of the small lot is a little sign on a post that says no motor vehicles and the symbol for no camping (a tent with a slash through it). Over there was a motorcycle parked and a tent pitched. Uhh.... dude.... Then up the trail a nice plastic bag of dog poop that was halfway stuffed under a log. People....

9p4nx1kig0ys.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I paddled yesterday.

do980bfj42qo.jpg
    0ogn0smoi011.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Paddling again today, but this time it was to help an organization with an aquatic invasive weed event where volunteers came to learn to identify some invasives and help remove them. I was there to help with safety on the water and to help with other logistics. I ended up mostly giving out empty bags and putting heavy bags full of weeds, water, and mud into my boat. By the time my boat was loaded up, I was three or more inches lower in the water, and for sure the boat paddled very differently.

Oh. Yeah. We saw some birds.

oehp2dleoqan.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    We did another sunset-into-moonlight barge row at the rowing club. These are not my photos, but I'm in one of them (in bright yellow, at right side, farthest from camera). I anonymized the face of the only person who was facing the camera, the rudder woman, because I don't like sharing recognizable photos of others without explicit permission. Later in the row, I swapped places with her so she could row for a while, but there's no photo from that stage.

The riverboat is at her dock in the photo, but she'd been out on the water with us earlier in the row, some kind of dinner cruise, I think. You'll note that the rowers, barge and oars are decorated with glow sticks, though the glow doesn't really show up until full dark.

j21f01axexxg.jpg
    y808gwqo05i0.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @AnnPT77

Gorgeous sunset image.

That is a HUGE boat!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I took my whitewater canoe out again yesterday for a paddle about 11 or 12 miles. Mostly class 2 with a few class 3 rapids; some moving water in between. It was a beautiful day, but I didn't get many pictures because... I was paddling a canoe in whitewater!

I posted a club trip for Class 2 paddlers looking to start to run some Class 3. A club member asked if someone would post just such a trip. I posted it with a limit of 11 other boats (12 total including me) because that's as big of a group I thought would be safe. The trip filled up in three hours. There was a wait list for a while, but a few people cancelled, and we ended up with ten boats. We had inflatable kayaks, decked kayaks, and two open canoes. One was me, and the other was a guy who bought a canoe I sold a while back. Four swims; none from the open boats.

djnoh2d31clm.jpg

It was kind of a zoo. There were a lot of rafts and driftboats. Some of the rafts were not courteous at all. In fact, one group of two rafts with stern frames and six paddlers each came bearing down on us with all paddlers going full-out, but when they passed us (which we let them do because we weren't in a race) they stopped paddling, and the oarsmen even stopped rowing. Our boats are faster, so we were catching up. You can't see the water through the rafts. I went around them, and the one in front told his people to paddle again and he threatened to run me over at the top of a Class 3 rapid. I can't use colorful language here to describe these morons, but I do in person.

I'm thinking of driving over the Coast Range today to go fish a nice reservoir from my Voyager.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    About 40 miles of rowing over four days carrying gear for myself and four kayaks. Yes, there was smoke. Yes there were salmon jumping. Yes we saw turtles. Yes we all smiled.

wielf17p0g5j.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I like to go visit Waldo Lake at least once per year. At about ten square miles, it's the second largest natural lake in Oregon behind Crater Lake (nearly 21 square miles). Waldo is also the second deepest at 420 feet compared to Crater Lake at 1949 feet deep. It's one of the clearest and purest lakes in the world. On a clear, calm day you can see over 100 feet down. The water is nearly invisible, but when it's deep and calm, it's an impossible color of cerulean.

I always wait until at least early September when the mosquitoes settle down. I made the mistake of going in August one time. Camping in the forest was brutal. We got in the canoe the next morning; it was full to the gunwales with insects. It's a little less than two miles to cross from that campground to Klovdahl Bay; we were about half that distance, a mile from shore, before all the insects were gone. Awful.

We couldn't go last year because of the fires. It was sad to see all the damage from those most recent fires. The two campgrounds on the north end of the lake were closed, so visitation was way down.

We paddled about 16 miles skipping the very far south portion of the lake. There were very few other boats on the north end since it takes a while to get there and back, and the wind can come up any time. We were fairly lucky with the wind except at the very beginning of the day and then at the end. At the end we had some wind chop, about a foot swell, but we were basically in the trough going south. That's when I realized how much I like this boat; it was pretty seaworthy. It's a We No Nah Voyager, a 17.5 foot long solo canoe.

We stopped for lunch in the very northwest corner where the North Fork Willamette starts to flow. It's a very special place to me, and it was so sad to see the devastation from the fires. It won't be safe to camp there for a while as those burned trees start falling apart. Maybe the next year or two it will be OK, but after that we'll have to wait for years before it's truly safe.

Even with the damage from the latest fires, it's still an amazing place to visit. I may go back later this month or early next month and maybe even carry my camp across the lake instead of car camping. Or car-camp and spend two nights camping and two days paddling.

h7rra7v4e172.jpg

9dmuve7vv6yj.jpeg

16mrwaxq9l4n.jpg

hchwprnb3c4y.jpg

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I spent a couple days kayaking on the North Umpqua River. I had missed getting out to this river the last few years. Maybe since 2020! First COVID limited our travel, and then all the fires closed the river. I really love this river, so I was glad to see it. Water level was low, but still passable. I took a kayak instead of a canoe because of the low water. That was good - I hadn't been whitewater kayaking all year, and I was able to be on-the-spot for five rescues of swimmers from canoes and inflatable kayaks. And just being in my boat was awesome.

Of course since I was in a whitewater kayak, my phone was stowed in a drybox safely below deck. No pictures from the actual paddling, but I stopped along Sharps Creek on the way home for a stretch break, and I remember how pretty this spot is, too!

yphp9t386700.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    You live in a beautiful part of the country. Every picture is just amazing...
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I'll admit it, I'm cheating again. This was outdoors, but not really exercise (for me). I was volunteering today a regatta, a local head race (rowing race, staggered and moving start, timing to determine placements, longer distance than sprints but variable by even (in this case a bit over 3500m). Super heavy fog on my way there around 6:15 AM. Photos are from the wait for enough fog to burn off to make racing safe, and before the scheduled start time. One view includes the moon, the other the sun.
    4au2ifi54w6k.jpg
    n1ctfsof1arr.jpg

• UncleMac
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'll admit it, I'm cheating again. This was outdoors, but not really exercise (for me). I was volunteering today a regatta, a local head race (rowing race, staggered and moving start, timing to determine placements, longer distance than sprints but variable by even (in this case a bit over 3500m). Super heavy fog on my way there around 6:15 AM. Photos are from the wait for enough fog to burn off to make racing safe, and before the scheduled start time. One view includes the moon, the other the sun.
    4au2ifi54w6k.jpg
    n1ctfsof1arr.jpg

Cheating is a relative term...
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I belong to a couple paddling clubs and one rafting club. I almost never go out with the rafting club; they are based a couple hours north of here. One of the paddling clubs is too, but they travel and do a few multi-day trips per year where we camp and do day trips from one location for a few days.

Well, I finally joined the raft club for the "Fall Colors Float." It is a river that is just over an hour away, and I used to paddle up there all the time. I have only rowed my raft there a couple times. It's kind of a pain to get my big raft out for a day trip even though it's stored on a trailer ready to go. I usually keep the trailer shoved back into my carport, and I keep a couple composite canoes on top. Well, after a couple multi-day Rogue River trips, I'd been leaving the raft trailer out and the canoes (gasp) sitting on the ground. I know. Bad treatment of my boats. I need to build a shed.

Alas, taking my raft out without a bunch of gear means I can carry passengers. This is good because I can take people down a river who otherwise don't have the capacity to (no boat) or skills to (it takes a while to learn how to read water and navigate it safely).

It was a ridiculously gorgeous fall day with a high temperature about 80 degrees and plenty of sun. Yes, Mr. W. showed up in the afternoon, but it wasn't too bad. The main challenges were rocks just below the surface and the sun glaring off the surface hiding them. We got hung up one time, but we got off pretty easily.

The trip organizer ran down a couple of the rapids ahead of the group so he could try to get some pictures. He may share them, but he did send me one....

hi9dak1swt6d.jpeg

Now I have to decide if it's time to put the trailer back or leave it out for some more fall rowing, especially while I wait for my drysuits to come back so I can paddle a canoe or kayak once we get our seasonal weather back.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Now that you mention it, my rowing club did a Fall color row, too - yesterday. It wasn't nearly as photogenic as your outing, @mtaratoot - it was on our usual flat river, just a bit further upstream than we usually go.

Colors aren't peak here yet, but we had to pick a date in advance. I was coxswain for a group of 3 new-this-year or new-to-club rowers plus one experienced rower (who of course sat stroke seat). It was beautiful weather, a little windy by the end for the singles, a bit on the cool side (50s F, mostly - pleasant enough when rowing, and I was dressed warmly in cox because I've done this before ;) .)

m8bru3g0wvzn.jpg

I don't normally share photos of others here, but I think this is distant enough that they're unrecognizable. I'm at right in the quad, facing the rowers. Guy in the single at right in the photo has been refurbishing his newly-bought old wood Hudson racing single. Lovely boat!
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    While outdoors, also not exercise.

Is it too early to start drooling?

d7crqk6spvu6.jpeg
    g9qygzeqzl8t.jpeg

Just button sized but give them a few more days.

I have about a dozen shiitake logs spilt more or less evenly between three varieties;
    1. WR46 which is has a wide temperature range but has an "H" stamped on its ID tag and was the first to fruit a few weeks ago. (See photo below.)
    2. Night Velvet, a "warm" variety and the one currently shown in the photos above.
    3. and Snow Caps, a "cold" variety. I'm still crossing my fingers for this one.

I did dry about a pound of WR46 giving just over an ounce of dried mushrooms in a gallon Ziplock. (Drying is supposed to enhance the umami in mushrooms.)

h5cgw8tdj3xo.jpeg

I'm considering using them for a braised mushroom and broccoli dish this weekend.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Nice shiitake David!

I went out today looking for boletes, chanterelles, and lobsters. I stomped and stomped in an area that produces well, but nothing. Well, there were boletes, but not the ones I was looking for. I got a few and will key them out. At least there wasn't any indication that someone else was just there picking them all - they just haven't started yet. When done, I went and explored another nearby area and found one lonely chanterelle and two Queen Boletes, so it wasn't a complete bust. Plus I got to walk a few hours in the rain with a leaky raincoat....