Mission Slimpossible Team Chat - NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    @laurelfit57 – Would you please share your marinara recipe? And do you can it? If so, how? I’d love to do some canning, but have no idea where to start.
    @Veta2018 – Welcome! I’m in SW Michigan, right above you! I-94 to exit 16. And we’re the same age, too! Benny is fluffin’ adorable!
    @badnoodle – That is AWESOME! Fantastic job bargaining with yourself!
    @steffibabiie – Nice loss you’ve had since August!
    @AmbersWay – Thank you for thinking of me :) I feel your candy pain. We have trick-r-treating at my job for the last hour of the day for all the employees’ kids and grands. I thought I’d be slick and bought an assortment that only had 1 candy I’d eat in it. The kids picked all the chocolate stuff and left all the Twizzlers! I don’t even know how many I ate. Probably had half gone just during my 30 minute commute. Ugh.
    @trooworld – I’m definitely joining in on the mindful eating this month…thanks for all the links for articles and videos.
    @Katmary71 – Hugs and prayers that you heal quickly!
  • crhillis
    crhillis Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Name: crhillis
    Weigh In: Thursday
    Starting weight (Sept 18, 2023): 157.2
    CW 154.4 (Nov 2, 2023)
  • steffibabiie
    steffibabiie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    @19shmoo69 oh no! Hope everything's okay!

@vegan4lyfe2012 thank you! Glad to see you, you've been quiet lately. It makes sense with everything going on though, I hope the break when you go to Texas is exactly what you need x

@Katmary71 welcome back! Hope the recovery is going well 🧡

@trooworld mindful eating is a good one. Not sure what measurable goals I could set though, I'll have to think about that. Way to go smashing your step goal last month!

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @laurelfit57 You absolutely rocked Halloween, way to go on having treats ready after and staying strong even with tasty goodness in your hands! Thank you!

@AmbersWay Thank you! Hope you get that prep done!

@micaroo4 I'm not good at mindful eating either, I tend to watch or listen to things the whole time I eat which is bad! Let's try this together ok? Hope you and Rich have a great weekend together.

@Cornanda Awesome score on the Spooky challenge!

@trooworld I did see the challenge, thanks! I think it's a great idea and definitely not my strong area. Great job surpassing your goal, that's awesome!

@865jessica I was able to eat the same or similar things for a while too, it does help to have that routine going and I'll do that if I need to get back on track for a bit. You got this!

@Veta2018 I like how you organized your goals, I may copy you there!

@vegan4lyfe2012 Thank you! I think that Texas trip may be good for you, things sound so hard in your world right now. Always sending prayers and love your way my friend.

@19shmoo69 Yikes that's scary, hope they get to the bottom of it!

Hi friends! I took an Uber to get x-rays this morning then back home. I'm not going to last much longer not being able to drive, I'm expecting my family and neighbors to stop answering the phone when I call! I start my post op pain med tomorrow which isn't when I really needed it but a little relief will be nice. My bowel doesn't want to wake up and my incision isn't healing right so I'm a little frustrated, I've never had either problem before. My legs have been worse, I'm hopeful they'll still heal a little at least which is the main reason I had surgery. On a bright note the upper back and neck is great! I have a few light therapy stretches but still taking things slow. It's my first time ever having at-home care and the nurse and PT/OTs are real nice. Not much else going on, I need to think of my Mindful goals still. Have a great Friday!
  • Veta2018
    Veta2018 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    @trooworld - thanks for choosing the Mindful Eating Challenge. I've learned a lot from reading through all the resources you shared.
    @vegan4lyfe2012 - Its nice to meet you, neighbor!👋 Your grandbabies are adorable. My 23 year old step-son has a baby arriving around May 16, 2024. You do have a lot going on. I know to well about going to sleep to avoid thinking about certain issues. Now I've started listen to music and exercise to get my mind off my stressful situations. Stay strong, you'll get though it. 💪
    @AmbersWay - I eat a lot of carrots, celery, and nuts for my snacks. Cucumbers sounds like a good way to change it up a little.
    @megnolia82, @Cornanda, @Katmary71, @865jessica, @laurelfit57 - Stay strong, you got this! 💪

Mindful Eating - day 1
    Out of habit, I ate breakfast sitting on the couch in front of the tv. 😕
    I ate oatmeal with fruit and crushed almonds. The color was a creamy white til I added the blueberries which dyed the oatmeal a purple color. The oatmeal by itself tastes kind of plain, but the fruit adds a little natural sweetness. Then, the almonds gave the meal a little crunchy texture. When I was done eating I felt a comfortable fullness.

I almost ate sitting on the couch again, but stopped myself and sat at the kitchen table instead.
    I decided to eat the last piece of the leftover spinach, mushroom, sausage calzone. I ended up picking at it. Throwing out the top 1/2 of the crust. It had a variety of colors, flavors and textures. I took my time eating, setting my fork down occasionally and stopping to take a drink of water. I felt a satisfying fullness, when I was done. *It's not my typical choice of food, but I don't like to waste food and already put some in my husband's lunch.

When my alarm went off for my afternoon snack, I was in the middle of doing laundry and preparing my grocery list. I wasn't really hungry but I want to stay on my every 3 hours schedule and keep my metabolism active. So, I sat at the table (with less enthusiasm) and ate a few crisp green celery topped with a creamy red pepper hummus. I had a hard time sitting at the table. I kept wanting to get up and grab my tablet, phone, or something. Snack just does not feel like a meal to be ate at the table.

My husband said "Are you serious?" when I told him we were eating at the kitchen table...hehehe. I even took my time eating and let him finish eating before me. Dinner went well.
    💪Mission Slimpossible Strong 💪
  • laurelfit57
    laurelfit57 Posts: 479 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    @katmary71 yay yay yay we are so glad to have you back! I imagine you are still in quite a bit of pain, good for you for recognizing mistakes of the past and not going there. I’m sure your friends and neighbour’s don’t mind your calling and are just ever so grateful that you are back home and safe. That has to be really frustrating with the incision and slow to wake up bowel. In my province, (I’m not sure if it is all over the country), until all of that is working we are not discharged. I am so glad that you have got home care with PT’s and OT’s as well! It is lovely to see you on this board again♥️.

@AmbersWay it is such a challenge for me if I am not eating every 3 hours or so. It seems if I am way behind my food in the day I have such difficulty controlling myself at night.

@trooworld congratulations on surpassing your challenge!!

@865jessica I always have the same thing every morning for breakfast, I don’t mind it at all :-). It sure helps me to stay on track!

@vegan4lyfe2012 here is the link for the marinara sauce. I didn’t actually can mine, I froze it. The only difference is the number of servings, I got 16 servings rather than eight. https://thecarefreekitchen.com/marinara-sauce/
    You can use the crushed tomatoes in and diced tomatoes in a can, I bought a whole bunch of tomatoes, cooked them down in my slow cooker and just used my immersion blender to make my own crushed tomatoes. I just cut up some whole tomatoes for the diced tomatoes:). Your grandbabies are so seriously cute! I am so sorry that you are having a really tough mental health struggles right now. Hard enough when you get a new diagnosis of ADHD and having to deal with your kids mental health as well. Much love is being sent your way.

@19shmoo69 I hope you get some results quickly!

@Veta2018 you made me laugh, talking about your husband’s reaction to sitting at the kitchen table to eat lol! Good for you for following through on all of that, those new habits are very hard to start sometimes.

I thought I was going to have a relatively quiet day, and it did not work out that way. Main points were, I got to the gym and I stayed on track with my food.
    Unexpectedly, I am going to have about 20 people over here on Saturday after we go to a restaurant to celebrate my brother and sister-in-law‘s 40th wedding anniversary. And I have got company coming from out of town arriving tomorrow for the celebration, so I had today and tomorrow morning to get my house ready. I am really hoping next week is a little slower. Life is never dull🤣
    I really want to skip the gym tomorrow so I can get ready, but I really need to go to the gym tomorrow.
  • davidji82
    davidji82 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    davidji82
    weigh in day Friday
    pw:265.6
    cw:266.7
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I left work early and headed to the clinic. The left side of my body was tingling like it had fallen asleep. Long story short they drew blood to run a bunch of tests. Doc wanted to schedule a MRI but was unsure if insurance would cover it. From now on I need to monitor my blood pressure and take a baby aspirin until the test results come in.
    On a side note Doc told me to lose weight. Lol. I've been trying to do that most of my life. Doc also said Keto is terrible, fasting is bad, Paleo might be ok but Mediterranean is the preferred. Looks like I'll be doing research again and firmly sticking to whatever food life style I choose. Chances are it won't be the Mediterranean diet.
  • Veta2018
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Good morning,
    This mindful eating challenge is harder than I thought it would be. I thought I was already eating mindfully. In some ways I am. I'm being mindful about the choice of foods I put in my mouth and the portion sizes too. However, eating without distractions has been a struggle. I felt out of place or like something was missing while eating at the kitchen table by myself. I felt the most comfortable when eating at the table with my husband. I am grateful for my husband. When we dine out, I tease him, because he's usually distracted with his phone. I'll get out my phone and take about 10 quick pictures of him (paparazzi)...hehehe. That usually will compel him to put his phone away. He's been so supportive, as I've been progressing through my weight-loss journey. In the beginning, he went from one place to another place, until he found a place that had something healthy, I was willing to eat...lol. I told him to just get himself something and I'll make myself something when we get home. Although, I do carry with me a few snacks and a bottle of water for when unexpected situations occur. I don't mind so much that he still eats all that junk. I won't pick it out for him, so he has to buy it himself. I know he stopped at McDonald's on his way home from work. I tease him all the time. I tell him how many calories and sugars are in the food he's eating. I figured he might end up losing a few pounds eating the foods I'm preparing. We used to dine out all the time, it's so much easier to cook at home now. I love creating new healthy recipes. It's like I've started a new hobby. Ok...I'm done blabbing for now. Have a good day!
    💪Mission Slimpossible Strong!💪

• trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,901 Member
    Options
    Trooworld
    Fridays
    PW: 232.0
    CW: 234.2

+2.2 lbs :(
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,901 Member
    Options
    @Veta2018 I like your challenge goals. I eat very fast, too, so I will be borrowing that goal from you! Thank YOU for suggesting it! Looks like you had a great day yesterday with mindfulness, congrats! I'm glad you have a supportive spouse. I do, too.

@vegan4lyfe2012 Yay I hope it helps. You are welcome! :D I'm sorry you are having a hard time with Hunter. Is middle daughter pregnant again, too? This all is a lot to go through. HUGS.

@crhillis Congrats on the loss!

@19shmoo69 I hope you can get the MRI. Do what works for you. Hugs, my friend!

@steffibabiie Yeah I have to think about it, too, it's kind of hard to set measurable goals with mindful eating but I think if you do something like, "Take 15 mins to eat lunch" you can do it. Thanks!

@Katmary71 Yeah not my strong area too, which is why I am excited about it! Thank you! I'm sorry that recovery is tough, I hope it gets better soon. Have a great day!

@laurelfit57 Thank you! Wow, a last-minute dinner party, good thing you have all that tomato stuff frozen! LOL

Hi all. So I talked to my doctor yesterday and she wanted me to go to the ER or at the very least, urgent care. I left work and arrived at urgent care at about 12:30. Was there until 3:00 until they couldn't figure it out so sent me to the ER so they could do imaging etc. Was at ER from 3:30 to 11:00 pm! They did a bunch of tests only to determine it was vertigo but a different kind than I've had before. I came home, ate something (which is probably one of the reasons I showed a gain on the scale this morning) and went to bed. Woke up with a HORRIBLE migraine. Took some medicine and feel better. Never had that taco salad, while I was at the ER, hubby made taco salad into tacos lol. I can work from home today which is a true gift...I will be taking naps lol.

My phrase for the year: "Every choice is another chance to change my health for the better."
  • davors19
    davors19 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    davors19
    Weigh in day: Friday
    PW: 248
    CW: 248
  • 19shmoo69
    19shmoo69 Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    The nurse called and said everything looked good but I'm low on vitamin D. Doc still wants to do a MRI.
    I think that's a good report.
  • Veta2018
    Options
    @19shmoo69 - Oh my! I had a similar thing happen to me a couple months ago. It was on my right side. Along with it I kept feeling a sharp pain in my ear, that would make me wince. The next day was the same except the sharp pain moved from my ear to my eye. Then it was gone. I talked with my doctor but I never did get an explanation. She just did a large amount of blood tests.
    Your strategies for weight loss should be individualized, make sure you choose the best strategy for your preferences. Everyone has a different motivation, willpower, and habits, all of which can help determine your healthiest lifestyle. I decided to create my own diet. I use a combination of Mediterranean, Keto, Paleo, and COCI, along with cardio/strength workouts. The nutrition help with weight loss the exercise help gain muscles and lose fat mass not muscle mass. I focusing on lifestyle changes. I'm creating a plan to make new habits, and I try to choose things that I can learn to enjoy doing for the rest of my life.

@trooworld - I hope you're doing well and you get an explanation of what's causing the dizziness soon. <Hugs>

@micaroo4 - I can so relate to the challenge of eating mindfully, when comes to focus and not being distracted.

I found this article about mindful eating to help with binge eat:
    https://blog.reset.com/post/the-broccoli-test?

• steffibabiie
    steffibabiie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    @trooworld Hope you start feeling better soon! I guess I do mindfully eat anyway, so I was trying to think of some way to do more than what I already do. I have reminders set for meals because if I don't, I'll forget. And I always eat at the table to give myself a true break from work, as that's been a struggle working from home. Family dinners at the table with no TV or phones. And I've always been a slow eater. The only thing I don't do is stop eating when I'm full. I'm now a member of the clean plate club - only because I measure everything that goes on my plate to make sure I'm hitting my calorie goal for the day. I might just sit this one out and keep doing what I normally do! Can we still do steps on the spreadsheet for the month? I can just post them here. It just keeps me accountable to keep moving.

@19shmoo69 I hate when they just tell you to lose weight, like you don't already know it or aren't trying.
    I also hate when they demonise specific diets. Different things work for different people. Maybe keto isn't the best for someone with a family history of heart disease, or high cholesterol, but it's the best option for some. You just need to find what works for you. I love the mediterranean diet, but it's not going to be sustainable for everyone. I think doctors just like to recommend that one because it's heart-healthy (and one of the reasons the mediterranean area is a blue zone).
    Find what works for you, and stick to it! Good luck!

@veta2018 I have a rule I've always used at restaurants, the first to pull out the phone has to pay. I started it when me and my brothers (all adults) would go to dinner with my parents or our whole families for events or catch ups. Now it's just me and my partner. My partner will usually pay anyway, but he has a terrible habit of mindlessly pulling out his phone and looking at facebook. Most of the time he'll have his phone out on the table and next to the plate. Even though we basically share finances, it's a fun challenge. If he can make it through the meal without looking at his phone, then I'll pay.

@laurelfit57 hopefully you find some time for you amongst the craziness of the weekend!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @Veta2018 Great job on mindful eating yesterday! I love your husband's reaction too, I'm so used to sitting down and having something to read or watch that it's hard to stop that. I did stop eating dinner when I was full though but the TV was on. Your husband sounds like great support!

@laurelfit57 Yes my first back surgery I couldn't leave until I had a BM, now they want you the heck out! I actually started the increase in my meds for post-surgery pain today which is pretty crazy. Thank you for helping out the last two weeks, I loved reading more from you. Wow you have a lot of planning to do now, good luck getting the house ready!

@19shmoo69 What's the latest on your health? Will you be having the MRI? Best of luck to you, I hope it goes away and doesn't come back and you're fine now.

@trooworld Thank you! What an awful night, I'm glad you're home today. That migraine sounds terrible, I hope this new kind of vertigo won't keep up, migraines are awful enough! Being in the hospital is a horrible place to have a migraine, I had one the day after surgery and lost my temper about one of the machines constantly beeping. I hope you're feeling a little better when you read this.

@micaroo4 Exactly you need to be mindful of mindful eating! Notes sound like a good idea, let us know how it goes.

@steffibabiie I love that about first person pulling out phone has to pay, it's a great idea since it's such a habit we almost need something to stop us from doing it.

Hi friends! Had PT this morning, she made me feel better about where I'm at which I really appreciate, I'd given up on getting much better already but I have more hope now. I went for a walk but other than that and PT have been taking it easy. I was hoping to go to the garden club tomorrow but the PT told me if I got in an accident before my doctor releases me insurance tends not to cover it so I'll be staying home. Friend is coming over in the afternoon. Have a great Saturday!
  • DrewsAnna
    DrewsAnna Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    DrewsAnna
    Weigh in Wednesday
    PW 158.7
    CW 159.3

Hey y'all,

I totally suck, halloween candy, sinus issues, side effects of flu & covid vaccines and just plain being tired. I totally fell off the wagon. I'm getting back on track tomorrow!!!

I'm sorry I'm late with my weigh in again. It was because I was just plain ashamed.

I'll get caught up on everyone's posts hopefully, tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.