What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I finished The Midnight Witch by Paula Brackston tonight, which I really liked despite many vocal critics. I don't read reviews or synopses before plunging into books for this reason, I don't want my opinions to be skewed by the naysayers.

I started the 1100 page Ken Follett book Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy #3) after that. It will probably take me the rest of the month to finish this one, I would be surprised to get it done sooner.

I completely understand - I stay away from a lot of the reviews on Goodreads - too many spoilers - I just want the basics - did you like it - why or not? Was it well written - did you relate to the subject matter or the characters - I don't need to know much more than that. I'll figure the rest out as I read it myself.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,420 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Way too many books I want to read, but, yes, I get ideas from y'all all the time. Currently reading a very interesting (to me) scholarly book about US-USSR collaboration in the period between the two world wars. It's called Detroit-Moscow-Detroit: An Architecture for Industrialization (so your baseball field picture was perfect, Catfish!) and includes info on all kinds of joint ventures, Americans who went to the Soviet Union for work, industrial developments and so on.
    On deck? Atoms and Ashes: From Bikini Atoll to Fukushima about nuclear power and its disasters.
  • LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Moving forward with my annual Halloween Literary Spookfest, I read the two books published by a new young horror writer, Isabel Cañas. The Hacienda, a haunted house ghost story set in 1820s Mexico and Vampires of El Norte, a vampire story set in 1840's Mexico. Both were really good, but I liked the second book a bit better, liking and sympathizing more with the cast of characters. Both were very engrossing page-turners, with seemingly impossible romances. The author recently completed her PhD in history and gives attention to accuracy in the historical setting, something I really appreciate.
  • LadyCalico2
    LadyCalico2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Monstrilio by Gerardo Sámano Córdova--This was a very weird story, some Pet Cemetary, some Frankenstein, that deserves credit for creativity and being the author's debut novel, but it was a poor novel/reader fit. A couple's only son is born with one inadequate lung and cannot survive beyond 11. The mother keeps a bit of lung as a memento. It grows into a monster that then grows into a boy, with a lot of adjustment difficulties, who is taught to hide his true nature and live a lie. I liked it at first but the longer it went on and the weirder it got, the more it lost my interest.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm reading the 27th Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child (and Andrew Child), No Plan B. This series is getting old for me, but I am almost caught up. It isn't too long of a book. I'm finding myself wanting to read something else already but I will finish this one up soon.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    On to something I might like better, The Silver Witch (Shadow Chronicles #3) by Paula Brackston. I liked the first two in this series quite well.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Moving forward with my annual Halloween Literary Spookfest, I read the two books published by a new young horror writer, Isabel Cañas. The Hacienda, a haunted house ghost story set in 1820s Mexico and Vampires of El Norte, a vampire story set in 1840's Mexico. Both were really good, but I liked the second book a bit better, liking and sympathizing more with the cast of characters. Both were very engrossing page-turners, with seemingly impossible romances. The author recently completed her PhD in history and gives attention to accuracy in the historical setting, something I really appreciate.

Glad to hear you liked Vampires of El Norte - I'm looking forward to reading that one myself.

@Catfish_Fan - I read the first book in the series - I'll have to check out the next 2.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I am wrapping up In Death series book 14 "Reunion In Death" by J.D. Robb tonight. I have a long way to go to catch up with the author as book 57 just came out I believe.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Starting a new one this Halloween night, The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston. This is an earlier work and is book one of a duology.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Part two of the duology has the witch returning from Summerland to face an old nemesis. The Return of the Witch is a good one by Paula Brackston.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Finally, I was able to finish A Green and Ancient Light. - It was a great book, but every time I'd sit down to read life would interrupt. I'm saving this one to read again when it can have my full attention.

Next Cutting for Stone -Abraham Verghese
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I finished Deep Roots (The Innsmouth Legacy #2) by Ruthanna Emrys last night, it was pretty weird. Aliens and historical fiction, sci-fi like.

Tonight I am finishing up Stranger Things: Flight of Icarus which is a tv show spinoff novel. I like the show Stranger Things and this is book 6.

Later I am starting Purity in Death by JD Robb, it is In Death series book 15. Book 14 was better than most of them and the series is getting better.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    @Catfish_Fan - I really enjoyed the Strangers Things show -did not know there were books. May have to add to the ever-growing TBR pile.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Lies We Sing to the Sea by Sarah Underwood was underwhelming. It was meh, ok, so I gave it 3 stars, but by the end I was ready for it to end. I read it for the U name in the challenge. I looked over all the popular X names on a Goodreads list and I don't want to read any of those books, so unless I can come up with one with an X as a first name I am probably complete.

I'm starting The Twin by Natasha Preston now.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Twin was a strange book. I was unclear how I felt about it right after finishing it, but it simmered and it is one I won't forget for a while, so 4 stars. It is a Young Adult novel. I don't want to give away spoilers to explain why I found it strange.

I read Star Wars: Brotherhood by Mike Chen next.

Now I am reading Sister of the Starlit Seas (Viridian Deep book 3) by Terry Brooks.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Skyward book 4, Defiant, by Brandon Sanderson comes out in Hardcover tomorrow! I had it preordered a while ago. Currently I am rereading book 1, Skyward, and will continue with book 2, the novellas, and book 3 before diving into book 4. I loved this series well enough to do a reread, since there aren't many books.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I finished my read of the Skyward series by Brandon Sanderson, it was a 5 star space opera.

I'm now reading In Death book 17, Imitation in Death by JD Robb.
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Just started Hurricane Season by Fernanda Melchor. A change of pace for me.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Catching up, my opinions on several novels I have read since I last posted.

The Battle of Hackham Heath--John Flanagan, YA fantasy, pass on this one.
    Doctor Sleep--Stephen King, Horror, this one was good.
    Wilder Girls--Rory Power, YA Dystopia, pass on this one.
    The Lonesome Gun (Perely Gates #7)--William W. and J.A. Johnstone, Western, good.

I am now reading The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling, YA Dystopia, horror. It's ok so far.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Catching up, my opinions on several novels I have read since I last posted.

The Battle of Hackham Heath--John Flanagan, YA fantasy, pass on this one.
    Doctor Sleep--Stephen King, Horror, this one was good.
    Wilder Girls--Rory Power, YA Dystopia, pass on this one.
    The Lonesome Gun (Perely Gates #7)--William W. and J.A. Johnstone, Western, good.

I am now reading The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling, YA Dystopia, horror. It's ok so far.

Loved Doctor Sleep - but I'm one of those die-hard Stephen King fans.

Finally finished my V - on to my Y. When Nietzsche Wept - Irvin D. Yalom