Replies

• Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I have been reading The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I recently finished The Memory Librarian and Other Stories of Dirty Computer by Janelle Monae. I liked it, it was sci-fi/dystopia where a Dirty Computer was a gender/sexual orientation non-conformist and the ruling powers "scrubbed" the minds of those they caught who were "dirty" to force conformity.

Now I am reading The Dark Thorn by Shawn Speakman. Shawn is the Web Druid for Terry Brooks and some other authors so I know of him, but have not read a lot of his work. He mostly does short story anthologies which aren't my favorite reads, but this one is a full long novel (from 2011). It's ok, not the best fantasy I have ever read but I am only 1/3 done...
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting The Vulnerables by Sigrid Nunez. I've finally got a break at work and I'm looking forward to spending some of my down time sitting in front of the wood stove with a book!
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    @FitMary202 - Enjoy your down time. I'm on a long weekend for Christmas myself. It rained the past 2 days in Phoenix and I managed to sit down by the fireplace and finish my A-Z challenge.

Today I'm starting The Confession by - Jessie Burton
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »
    @FitMary202 - Enjoy your down time. I'm on a long weekend for Christmas myself. It rained the past 2 days in Phoenix and I managed to sit down by the fireplace and finish my A-Z challenge.

Today I'm starting The Confession by - Jessie Burton

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing the challenge, Btrflydog! VERY WELL DONE!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Read The Fever Code (The Maze Runner #5) and I just finished Crank Palace (Maze Runner novella) by James Dashner. Now I get to pick a different book because I have completely finished the Maze Runner series. I'm not diving straight into The Maze Cutter spin-off series that is more recent, time for something different.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    A Quiet, Little Town (A Red Ryan Western) by William W. Johnstone and JA Johnstone
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    PinUpGirlAtHeart Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Fire Touched by Patricia Briggs (9th book of the Mercy Thompson series)
  • mikedee_nyc
    mikedee_nyc Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    About to start Fool Moon by Jim Butcher. Book 2 in the Dresden Files series.
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    edited January 1
    Options
    @mikedee_nyc I absolutely love The Dresden Files series! I'm in book #7 - Dead Beat. (I'm in the middle of several books because I'm a mood reader). One of my absolute favorite series! It's one of the series I am always recommending.
  • mikedee_nyc
    mikedee_nyc Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    @PinUpGirlAtHeart I heard the series really gets going after book 3 or so. First one was a quick read for me so I plan on working them in as some palate cleansers between the longer fantasy reads.
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    edited January 2
    Options
    @mikedee_nyc Loved the 1st book. The 2nd one was not as good to me, but still good. I agree it does pick back up in book 3. Everyone I personally know who has read this series loves it. Heck, my dad has even read the series again after the last book was released which shows how much he loves it.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    @mikedee_nyc Loved the 1st book. The 2nd one was not as good to me, but still good. I agree it does pick back up in book 3. Everyone I personally know who has read this series loves it. Heck, my dad has even read the series again after the last book was released which shows how much he loves it.

I can second this opinion, one of the best series I have read. Urban fantasy at it's best.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I read The Cabin by Natasha Preston last night and part of today, and was less impressed than I hoped.

I'm now reading Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery and I'm surprised that I am really enjoying it. That little girl talks so much! I picked up a kindle edition of the Anne of Green Gables collection for free during a "sale" in 2019. The e-book formatting could use some work but the story is good.
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    Options
    @Catfish_Fan I love urban fantasy. Another favorite of mine is the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. I've been wanting to check out Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey. Sounds interesting. I have the 1st book, but haven't read it yet. I also haven't read Anne of Green Gables yet. I did watch the Anne with an E show that was based on it and thought they did a good job on it. I think I might read it one day.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I read all of Sandman Slim and it was ok, but some parts were a bit corny. I want to read Seanan McGuire's October Daye series next for my urban fantasy choice. There are so many great authors, Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series looks good for sword and sorcery, and I have enjoyed many books by Juliet Marillier for mythological fantasy.

I haven't seen Anne with an E yet, I like to read the source material before watching a show or movie based on it. Yes, in the book Anne makes a big deal out of the e in her first name.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I loved Anne of Green Gables way back when, but that was a long time ago so I'm not sure how the book series holds up. Supposedly the author preferred her character Emily of New Moon more so I'm going to try to get around to that series some time.
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    Options
    @FitMary202 Emily of New Moon is a book series? I've only seen the show and loved it. Wow, guess I gotta check that out, too. My tbr list keeps growing and growing.

@Catfish_Fan I haven't heard of those other authors. I have one book of another of Jim Butcher's. I don't mind some corniness, so hopefully I dig Sandman Slim. I'm going to have to find more urban fantasies. I'm focusing more on the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs for my urban fantasy series fix. Love this series. I have 5 more books after this 9th one to look forward to. Think I'll hop back over to Dresden Files after it. I still have 10 more books after I finish the 7th one. I know that The Dresden Files is supposed to have more books still to be written. Wonder if there will more Mercy Thompson books after this last one is released later this year.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    @FitMary202 Emily of New Moon is a book series? I've only seen the show and loved it. Wow, guess I gotta check that out, too. My tbr list keeps growing and growing.

@Catfish_Fan I haven't heard of those other authors. I have one book of another of Jim Butcher's. I don't mind some corniness, so hopefully I dig Sandman Slim. I'm going to have to find more urban fantasies. I'm focusing more on the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs for my urban fantasy series fix. Love this series. I have 5 more books after this 9th one to look forward to. Think I'll hop back over to Dresden Files after it. I still have 10 more books after I finish the 7th one. I know that The Dresden Files is supposed to have more books still to be written. Wonder if there will more Mercy Thompson books after this last one is released later this year.

I didn't know that there was another Dresden book coming, that is great news! I thought that the series was completed. Sandman Slim is completed.

I have heard of the Mercy Thompson series too, I will have to check it out, thanks! I have never read anything by Patricia Briggs, but I bet the library has them in e-book format for me to check them out. I love the libraries for saving me big money!

Seanan McGuire has another UF series that looks good to me too, InCrypted. I have the first three of her October Daye series on my kindle already purchased during a sale, so I will probably try that one out first.

Nice to meet another person who likes SFF!
  • PinUpGirlAtHeart
    Options
    @Catfish_Fan On his website, it answers the question of how many will there be for the Dresden Files series with "25: 22 “case books,” like those we’ve seen so far, capped with a double-length apocalyptic trilogy." I can't wait! That means there should be 8 more books that he will write and release for the series since there are currentlyonly 17. I'm here for it! I think my favorite genres are sci-fi, fantasy, and supernatural/paranormal. Those are what I tend to lean towards, but I do dig other genres, too. Also love manga. If you ever wanna chat about books, feel free to msg me on here. Like my new mug says "Introverted but willing to discuss books". ^_^