What did you eat today? Pictures welcome!

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,551 Member
    Options
    @henridw2095

Those would be MY KIND of muffins! I'm not so interested in the sweet ones that are more like mini cakes. This would be...

I'll be right over.
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I made some savory muffins this morning (batter fermented over night), using a recipe for Gujarati handvo. The batter has split pigeon peas, moong dal, red lentils, vegan yoghurt, sesame, and rice, alongside zucchini, onion, chili, garlic, and spices. They turned out really well.

ag8aetuz0q4r.jpeg
    Ooh, another new dish I'm learning about! Looks delicious! My baking endeavor wasn't as healthy, but it paired well with homemade tomato soup. Sourdough focaccia: gnwv4ylczglv.png

• henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    @enlightenme3 very pretty (and I bet delivered)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @enlightenme3

Oh wow.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @enlightenme3 …I meant to write „delicious“!!!
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    • Vinegar beets leftover from yesterday. Pressure cooked whole beets, peeled and sliced, mixed with salt, pepper, Hatch green chile powder, dill weed, and balsamic.
    • Roasted delicata squash. Tossed with hazelnut oil, 5-spice, Hatch green chile powder, and salt.
    • Short grain brown rice pilaf with lentils, serrano chile, jalapeno chile, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and mung bean sprouts

h5zg4ffjl7ll.jpg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I had recently bought a red onion and found I still had one left that really needed to get used up. I realized I hadn't made quick pickle in quite some time. I fixed that.

Just a pint - pretty much one onion. For this batch I stuffed the bottom of the jar with a couple bay leaves, some black pepper corns, and a few cloves. I shoved a dried chile de arbol down the side. Garlic would have been a nice addition, but no room. Will be ready soon, and I might use some as a garnish for the split pea barley soup that will is pretty much done, but I'm going to wait until the roasted yams come out of the oven to dig in.

iwxpaege272h.jpg

w211kxl95tp8.jpg

• henridw2095
    edited March 3
    Options
    I have only made quick pickled onions once…not sure why I don’t do that more often.

Today I ate my go-to kale radicchio farro salad (with toasted walnuts, lemon-miso-olive oil dressing, and vegan parmesan sub). I also made a quick batch of miso-marinated tempeh (also has cumin, fennel seeds, a little maple syrup, and oregano, alongside garlic, salt, and pepper)

ow7n8o0qvh5j.jpeg
    u9cy4vrtym1x.jpeg
  • henridw2095
    edited March 6
    Options
    Some random foods from the last two days, which were busy at work (limited time for cooking):
    Indian chickpea flour pancakes (with too
    much veg, next time I‘ll stick to just onion). I snuck some pea protein powder in, since it blends into the dish.
    h0ipjkjsgdg8.jpeg

Massive dinner sheet pan (about 650 kcal, this is one serving). I like making this when I‘m busy. I can shower after my gym workout once it’s in the oven.

uv9jpazsw08e.jpeg

Müsli style overnight oat mix with soy milk and fruit. This mix has dried fruit, nuts, chia, hemp seeds, and a dash of cinnamon.
    9bznf5mn9ezy.jpeg

• chelseynikole9618
    chelseynikole9618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love seeing everyone’s recipes! Tonight I made a vegan version of “egg roll in a bowl.” It was very yummy and a very fast dish. I used a bag of shredded organic cabbage, broccoli, and carrot blend, a bag of meatless crumbles, garlic and chopped onion all sautéed with soy aminos and some umami seasoning. Served it over cauliflower rice, with some vegan kimchi and mini spring rolls. Would you believe this bowl is less than 400 cals but 31 grams of protein? Super yum! And dinner was ready in less than 20 minutes… and my seven year old loved it just as much as me and her dad! cj8elvqnv80i.jpeg
  • enlightenme3
    Options
    vbpneqmpi607.jpeg
    Coconut Saag, from Priya Krishna and the New York Times. Used tofu and kale.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @enlightenme3 this recipe looks great - thank you! I tried making saag tofu a while ago and it was horrible, so I might try this one soon :-)
  • henridw2095
    Options
    zhhg50pd7cwm.jpeg
    I made a farrotto (farro risotto) with onion, garlic, arugula, parsley, lemon juice and lemon zest. The cooking liquid was a mix of veggie broth and water (arugula, parsley and lemon were added at the very end). Eaten with my vegan parmesan substitute and braised leeks. I also added some gardein crispy tenders (I had a taste for it and couldn’t think of a good protein pairing). I‘m obsessed with the farrotto 🤩.
  • enlightenme3
    Options
    @henridw2095 - your farrotto looks delicious! I love the chew of farro and pearl barley. Does it take about the same amount of time as an arborio rice risotto?
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @enlightenme3 I have actually never made risotto (probably because my mom always kept going on about how much work it is). This took about thirty minutes for the farro to be done, plus ten minutes for the onions to soften before I added the farro, so 40 minutes total. Towards the end, there was quite a bit of stirring to make sure it cooks evenly. It’s apparently important that the farro is not parboiled (I used Bob‘s Red Mill Farro). There will probably be additional variations in the near future. I didn’t think it was a lot of work and it was delicious.
  • chelseynikole9618
    chelseynikole9618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    7nikmrp7011f.jpeg

Tonight’s dinner of sheet pan oven roasted tofu and veggies w/ sourdough avocado toast. Truly my go to on tired days. So yummy!
  • enlightenme3
    Options
    You had me at avocado toast!
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,071 Member
    edited March 12
    Options
    @henridw2095 That farrotto looks yummy, I still haven't tried your fairy dust but it's on my list of things to make! Meanwhile you reminded me of this delicious recipe. I love a nice hearty grain & veggie dish. (To make this vegan, substitute a different type of umami like dulse/tamari/miso etc. for the fish sauce, and obviously skip the eggs.)
    Fried Farro with Pickled Carrots [...]
  • enlightenme3
    Options
    @henridw2095 - here in the US we have a store called Trader Joe's that has some different types of foods under their own label. Last week I bought what they called Popcorn Piquant, which, judging from the ingredients is popped popcorn with fairy dust! Delicious. Now that I know about fairy dust, I'll just make my own at home.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    Thanks everyone…I hope to catch up soon. I feel like someone hit me on the head with a frying pan…very tired.

@enlightenme3 I‘m German, but I‘ve lived in Chicago for the last 14 or so years…close to a Trader Joe’s. I stopped by last weekend for endives (the piggies love them), chili crunch and super firm tofu (I love these), but stayed clear of buying other things (love their veggie dumplings and Thai curry with tofu skin, among many other things).

Our Trader Joe’s is just around the corner from the biggest Starbucks in the world. I might stop by sometime for a nice specialty coffee (they have really nice Americanos). Now that I‘m trying to eat healthy and am withdrawing from coffee, I have few reasons to go there.

. cfah6kkvjaoz.jpeg