Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Fresh salmon, Sweet potato, air- fryed, was a side - with some parmesan on top. Tabouli also side, made with cous cous - as had no quinoa, with chopped tomatoes & parsley. Some asparagus tips too About 600 kcals. Filling!!
    Cheese scone - yes about - 350 cals! I have put the rest in the Freezer!
    Sausage roll was bought - no forethought about lunch 🙄🥴
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    Observation of the day: the lemon pudding thickens up better than the butterscotch. I use identical amounts of milk (per instructions) and identical amounts of protein powder. The lemon pudding is what I ciuld consider proper thickness, the butterscotch about 25% less so, I'd estimate. Still thickened, but not as much.

Supper tonight is brined, grilled center cut pork chops, idahoan Au Gratin potatoes and roasted broccoli.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Wow Nic! Happy to see you’re tolerating food again. Hope this time it sticks.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    edited April 21
    Options
    Can't find sugar free instant lemon pudding. Ms Nic has thrown me for a loop.

Closest is jello pie filling (comes without the sugar/as much sugar built in but requires like 3 egg yolks and COOKING to work!!!!!)

Opened up a can of ED Smith SUGARED pie filling (what a nightmare to log when they talk ml and it is NOT 1ml per 1g). something insane like 120 Cal per 83ml.

But the 540ml can had 625g of contents. Could have been overfill. Or not. Not enough samples.

Assuming that the can was "correct", it comes to 6.5 servings per can. or 780Cal or 125 Cal per 100g. Which is "generally" close enough to a Duncan Hines Lemon Cream pie filling can i found at 132 Cal per 100g.

So far was used with skyr... making lemon skyr... but it seems like a suboptimal use...

we shall see. have a bit of a headache. too much *kittening* around with the glasses prescription.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    My favorite pie growing up was definitely lemon meringue, made with what is now the Dr. Oetker box mix. I love the lemon curd it makes, and we always doubled the meringue.

Can't find that brand/mix here so when we go to visit my family or they come to visit us, we aquire.

I also love the jarred lemon curd on toast etc... Sensing a theme.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 22
    Options
    Shirif by dr Oetker. one egg cooking required. contains the sugar.. hence moved to the jello.... which contains modified tapioca ! Not attempted.

The can? of course it contains even more sugar!!!😂

Should have found some lemon zest to add to the yogurt plus sucralose and called it a day!!!
  • PAV8888
    edited April 22
    Options
    Green giant restaurant sides veggies with sauce and rice/quinoa mixes. About 220Cal each advertised. Tried two both a bit overfilled. $s it's to hide in bed and cry unless 50% off sale or something.

Taste wise and bunnies wise and filling for calories wise actually they were quite good both of them. One harvest veg red brown rice quinoa garlic sauce. Other spinach rice quinoa parmesan.

Don't even think they have much scope for extra Bunnie stuffing enhancement as they weren't overly sauced. Maybe 80-120g of extra veg could fit in at an eye ball? If still on sale may get more to try!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,637 Member
    Options
    Now you have me thinking about this, PAV. :(
    That sugar free instand pudding is on Amazon - but you have to buy a six pack (4.25 per pack - not bad) - but I don't think you can bake it to make a lemon meringue pie.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JD8X5KM/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=A2TXWOT01VMVIE&psc=1
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    BUT - you could bake the meringue separately on parchment paper and place it on the "pie" once it is cool!!!!!!
  • PAV8888
    edited April 23
    Options
    Laurie!!!!!!?????

You're crushing my soul!!!!! You're willing to pay more than $1.99 for an instant pudding? That's the level where I hold my nose and buy one at a time in a delaying action till I can find a sale!!!!🤯 Or is it because these are "and pie"?...

I'm going to hide in my room now to recover!!!!🤯

But meringue cookies sound like a thing to try
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sorry for disappointing you, my dearest PAV. But it IS sugar free!!!! And I have not actually purchased any - just browsed so far :)

Supper last night and today - egg foo young!!!! One egg dish I can tolerate. Only problem is my local grocery store rarely has bean sprouts. But they have the again.

Sorry for these measurements:
    1/2 small bag of bean sprouts (maybe 4 cups?)
    4 stalks of celery
    1/2 red pepper
    150 g cooked potato
    green onions
    3 eggs
    Lots of sriracha

Shared some eggy bits with the pups.

Amazingly filling dinner! Embarrassed to say I don't have the particulars, because I did not log it (I'm at the eating moderatly - not logging stage of my reaquaintance to weight loss :) )

• nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    I've always looked at egg foo yung but never tried it. I am particular about eggs and I don't trust my local takeout chinese place enough for that, I think.

Seems like something I could make. I have hesitated to try eggs again after I got turned off them last time I ate them. I think about them alot though. I hate to go to the trouble of making a whole dish just to find I am still off eggs.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    make something simpler vs as involved to test?

Laurie I think there is "less sugar" shirriff lemon pie at safeway for $2.29 right now but it requires cooking. A quick look of the jello version said that you add the sugar. Which means you could add liquid sucralose at truly 0 cal... (granulated has calories due to the filler).
  • PAV8888
    Options
    seems like more than 'good nuff measurements :wink: How did you cook it? I don't see oil or spray? I would have managed to get it stuck even on non-stick!!! :smiley:

Broke down and used "modern" methods: deep bowl, one of the spiny thingies also known as "hand mixer"... even has a "turbo" setting :wink: It seems that it does do a better job of convincing unsweetened vanilla almond milk to set with faux mousse powder as compared to using the hand whisk!

shirriff light lemon pie is $2.29 at Safeway. It is NOT sugar free. But I do believe that the jello lemon pie thingy has no sugar in it...
  • Creamtea42
    Options
    That egg foo yung sounds good @lauriekallis…. Will defo try that … need more meat free dishes in my reportoire! Thanks x

Love, love love lemon meringue pie - but never had a sugar free one or made from a kit…. my MIL used to make ‘em; ahh … nostalgia!

Supper last night was salmon leftovers from night before - the tabouli - made with couscous - was even tastier one day later. Sucummed to banana bread last night

Supper tonight is steak diane with leafy green veg…
  • PAV8888
    Options
    My my ms tea. Sounds pretty good!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    How did you cook it? I don't see oil or spray? I would have managed to get it stuck even on non-stick!!! :smiley:

Me too...sorry...used about 5grams of butter ... my pans are getting old. It still did stick - but the stuck stuff goes to the pups :)

• PAV8888
    Options
    Oh yes... that's called sharing! :wink:
  • Creamtea42
    Options
    Supper was very good - too good! OH cooks a mean steak & mushroom sauce. Tonight going lighter …tried before - making courgette with haloumi & a tomato / olive sauce…is suprisingly tasty, though will have to add a pork chop for him indoors. OH actually stood on scales & he has lost over a stone too… so great news there!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Salad for lunch and salad for dinner. Granted there was some meat/ protein included so not calorie free. Warm humid weather is upon us and it’s hard to get inspired for a hot meal.