Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

O.A. 15-QUESTION READINESS INTAKE QUESTIONNAIRE.

AG_Lake
AG_Lake Posts: 45 Member
edited July 29 in Social Groups
-from O.A. pamphlet #705 :
INTRODUCING OVEREATERS ANONYMOUS
Where Do I Start?
Everything a Newcomer Needs to Know.

“Now that you have found Overeaters Anonymous,
you may want to make sure our program is right for you.
Many of us have found it useful to answer the following questions to help determine if we have a problem with compulsive eating.
1. Do I eat when I’m not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment?
2. Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason, sometimes eating until I’m stuffed or even feel sick?
3. Do I have feelings of guilt, shame, or embar- rassment about my weight or the way I eat?
4. Do I eat sensibly in front of others and then make up for it when I am alone?
5. Is my eating affecting my health or the way I live my life?
6. When my emotions are intense—whether positive or negative—do I find myself reaching for food?
7. Do my eating behaviors make me or others unhappy?
8. Have I ever used laxatives, vomiting, diuretics, excessive exercise, diet pills, shots, or other medical interventions (including surgery) to try to control my weight?
9. Do I fast or severely restrict my food intake to control my weight?
10. Do I fantasize about how much better life would be if I were a different size or weight?
11. Do I need to chew or have something in my mouth all the time: food, gum, mints, candies, or beverages?
12. Have I ever eaten food that is burned, frozen, or spoiled; from containers in the grocery store; or out of the garbage?
13. Are there certain foods I can’t stop eating after having the first bite?
14. Have I lost weight with a diet or “period of control” only to be followed by bouts of uncontrolled eating and/or weight gain?
15. Do I spend too much time thinking about food, arguing with myself about whether or what to eat, planning the next diet or exercise cure, or counting calories?

Have you answered “yes” to several of these questions?
If so, it is possible that you have, or are well on your way to having, a compulsive eating or overeating problem.

As a newcomer to Overeaters Anonymous, you probably have many questions about this program of recovery .
What makes OA different from other programs?
How can OA help you recover from compulsive eating and maintain a healthy weight when everything else you’ve tried has failed?
Can OA help you stop bingeing or yo-yo dieting?
How can you achieve freedom from food obsession and compulsive eating?
Is there any hope? “

For the continuation in this pamphlet #705 , go to OA WEBSITE at. bookstore.OA.org and it’s also available as an online pamphlet .

Replies

• AG_Lake
    Hey folks !
    So I find this readiness intake questionnaire quite useful , not only to help you discern your compulsive overeating condition,
    but also as a practice in answering OA types of questions .
    Because should you decide to stick around , for the O.A. 4th STEP there will be much more of the same type of questioning and investigating of yourself.
    As always , the basic tools of OA require you to find an in-person meeting to attend regularly,
    find an Abstinent Sponsor there, who’s got what you want ,
    and WORK THROUGH THE O.A. 12-STEPS AS PER YOUR SPONSOR .
    GOOD LUCK ! ☀️🌸
  • AG_Lake
    It’s useful to start a new scribbler, get a new pen , date the page, and answer each of these questions in writing . ☀️🌸
  • AG_Lake
    1. Do I eat when I’m not hungry, or not eat when my body needs nourishment?
    I don’t know … I’m in a big Brain fog again these days.
    All I can do is keep on keeping on doing my best to get and stay Abstinent from Compulsive Overeating , work on my Physical Recovery, i.e. lose weight bit by bit .
    And then, hopefully, in retrospect , one day , it’ll be clearer to me what the heck I was doing .
    ☀️💧💦🌸☀️🦩🦩🦩
  • AG_Lake
    Question 2. of the READINESS QUESTIONNAIRE I .
    2. Do I go on eating binges for no apparent reason?
    Not these days, thanks to my Higher Power.
    But bingeing on food several times a week was my big problemo until recently, which is what got me so morbidly obese. Now by the BMI chart I’m just obese.
    Now I try to intermittent fast, so only sips of water after an early supper.
    Then still fasting until a later breakfast .
    During my eating window I do my best to stick to my food plan in which I count my food a couple of ways .
    What’s your Question 2. situation , folks ?