Welcome and intros

Options

Replies

• mfleeman
    Options
    Hello everyone, New to the site, training for my forth marathon. I have ran the Cowtown in Fort Worth for the last three years.
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    Hey, I'm Jason.

I was always a "fast twitch" sport guy. Lifted competitively in high school and college, but not the bodybuilding stuff. I married my high school sweetheart who was a cross country runner, and 50 pounds later she's still in good shape and I'm not. I've recently rededicated myself to fitness and have had some great results. She and I have been running (she stopped about 4 months into pregnancy), and she has a bucketlist item to run a marathon. Well, she's considerably faster than I am, so I figured I should run one to get it under my belt before we run one together! I have found that I absolutely LOVE running. After about 45 minutes I just hit this zone where I don't have to do ANYTHING else, other than move forward. That reduces the stress, eh?

Hope this finds you all well.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm Bethany, I live in the Atlanta suburbs.

I started running last year; starting with couch to 5K, falling in love with it, and running my first marathon later this week, right before my 1st runniversary! On the running schedule for next year is a 15K, possibly another half marathon, and a full marathon in April (Country Music Marathon in Nashville, part of the Rock & Roll series). I started this whole running journey with a friend and luckily we've kept up with each other and have very similar goals. She and I try to run our weekly long runs together, which makes the miles pass and I think I've found my sole sister!

I've found other runners to be some of the most supportive and encouraging people on the planet, and I look forward to being part of this group.

Happy running!

:o)
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am Erica. I am in the "Future" category. I have not entered any races as of yet. I only started running about 4 months ago. I finished c25K not long ago and was looking to build on it. I have decided to run the Chicago marathon in October 2012. I have a little less than a year to train. I just started training this week using the hal higdon app on my phone. Nice to meet everyone.
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Fiona, and I live in Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
    I got into running and triathlon when I met my boyfriend. SInce then I've done a bunch of triathlons and also some 10Ks and half marathons. I completed an Ironman last summer, and have just entered a marathon for next April.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm Ruth and I have been running off and on for quite a few years. 2 years ago our daughter challenged us to do five area 5Ks in the fall and the 4 of us did that. The race environment is so encouraging! I turned 50 last year and hoped to run a full marathon but had ITB issues and backed off. My lesson learned - it's not JUST about finishing a marathon! Priorities are back in order and I've been running quite consistently this year since March. (Northeast winters can be tough, especially living out in the country where plows might not be seen very frequently!) My husband, 15 yo son, and I ran three 5Ks and one 10K this year. (We save our change in a big bottle for race fees and sometimes don't have enough for all the races we want to do. :ohwell: ) Surprisingly to me, I won medals in 2 of our 5Ks in my age group - 1st place in one of them!

Next year, in addition to our regular 5Ks, the three of us plan to do a half in June and my son and I to do a full in the fall. (Hubby just doesn't have the time to train for long distances but he keeps running 5 - 6 miles about 3 times a week.).

I just love the time I spend running with my son - he's homeschooled so we have more flexibility with when we run. He and I try to talk throughout our runs, except on the steep hills :noway: , and encourage each other.
  • 26point2girl
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm Leah. I started running in 2008 and have completed a handful of races - 3 marathons, 4 half marathons, and a bunch of shorter distances. In 2012 I am registered to run the Berlin Marathon and am beyond excited. I'm thinking about throwing in another marathon distance in the spring but haven't decided yet.
  • Zoekat05
    Zoekat05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Ena and I live in Vancouver BC. I've been running for about two years. I've run 3 marathons and about 6 half marathons. I'm about to start training for my 4th full in May. One of the reasons I would like to lose some weight is to improve my running.
  • betzylauletta
    betzylauletta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm Betzy and I'm from Columbus, OH. I used to run in college just for weight management/exercise. I fell in love with running about 2 years ago, when a friend of mine asked me if I would run a half marathon with her. I thought she was crazy, but agreed to at least try to start training for it. I can't imagine what my life would be like now if I had said no to her. I absolutely LOVE running. I completed my first half marathon in May 2010, ran 2 more after that, and just did my first full marathon in October. I just love the way that both my body and my mind feel when I am running. It is amazing!

I am now looking into some strength training ideas to get my muscles stronger so I can be a better runner. I'm hoping strength training will also help to shed some fat from my body. Feel free to add me! I always love hearing other people's experiences with running :) I'm also open to suggestions to help me reach my goals! Thanks!
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Amanda. Ran my First Marathon in September. I have lost 100lbs exercising and counting exchanges, maintained for a year. Now I am going for the last 50.I gained 10 training in high mileage! I am getting ready to start training for a half in May. I have a blog about running and being a chubbster : http://toughroadfink.blogspot.com/ . Its very honest. The posts about the race i'm pretty proud of. I was The last offical timed runner, there was a ladder in my finish photo. Time of 5:58:50. I was 214.
    My goals is to get to my goal weight. PR in the spring for the half. And eventually shave an hour off my full time in the coming years.
    Friend me, I don't have many on here!

Never ever ever give up, you can do it!
  • Felicia714
    Felicia714 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Felicia, 26, Financial Analyst, Wife, and Mother of 2!

I started running about a year ago and completed my first half in May 2011. I am signed up and training for my first full marathon on May 6th, 2012! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm not a fast runner (average speed of 9.5 min/mile) but I'm working on increasing my speed and lowering my HR.

Will gladly take any advice or tips!!
  • ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    Hi everyone :) I'm Leah, a 22 year old student (Pre-med) who never ran until about 2 years ago. Now I'm in love with it and my goal for 2012 is to complete 25 races throughout the year. I'm hoping that 2 of those will be halfers, so I have a lot of hard work a head of me but am VERY excited to put in the time!!
  • TabbyDunn
    Options
    Hi! My name is Tabby. I recently signed up for my first marathon: The Run for the Red in the Poconos. I thought joining a group would be a great way to find some good tips and motivation.
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I am a former curvy chick (200 lbs on my 5'7" frame) who picked up running in 2006 as a way to accelerate my weight loss. It took a while, but I finally ran my first 5-K race in 2010, and my first half marathon in June 2011. I am officially registered to run the Cleveland Marathon on May 20th, 2012!!! My fiance and I are training together and are really excited to run it. We use a Galloway timer for our longer weekend runs, but during the week I generally run around 6 miles every other day without the timer. On off days, I will use the elliptical for an hour, or do a barre workout for strength training (shameless plug: Pure Barre is exceptional!)

I could really use some advice about endurance training, since the half marathon distance is the furthest I have run so far. Also, nutritional advice would be great. Looking forward to getting to know you guys!
  • angieread
    angieread Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Angie. 41, mother of three from Overland Park, KS.

Right now I'd call myself a 'past' runner. I've completed four full marathons (Chicago in 2001; San Diego in 2002; Grandma's in 2005 and the Marine Corps in 2010). The last one did me in - I had bad hip problems for the next several months. So, I stopped running and started boxing and doing my elliptical, but running was always my favorite. I've missed it, and am planning to give it another go. I'm hoping to run the Oklahoma City half marathon in late April.

I'm slow. I run an 11:30 mile, but I don't care. I don't run to win the race. I run to get exercise, to 'meditate,' and sometimes achieve a goal. I'm heavier than I want to be right now, and know that running AND eating right will help me get there. Still, I'm a little nervous about it because I don't want my hip issues to come back. Too much time and $$$ at the chiropractor last year. :-)
  • hansada2
    hansada2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im Adam and I am running my first marathon on april 21st. Im running for the SALT LAKE CITY MARATHON and am looking for a time of under 4 hours. hope we can support each other. thanks guys. lets be friends.
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tammy. I've never been a long distance runner but I would love to be one. I live in Alaska so running in winter gets hard but summers are so nice. I've always done short distances and sprints. This year my goal is to do a Marathon, but I'd settle with a half. I hope I can get some wisdom from all you avid runners here. :) I'm ready to learn and work

PS. The marathon I'd like to run is in August. and right now I'm running only 2 or 3 miles at a time. :)
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I started running in 2010 in connection with a weight loss of about 50 pounds (this year I lost another 20 for a total of 70, but gained that 20 back -- have maintained the 50 pound loss consistently for almost 3 years! -- I credit running with helping on that front). Since then I have run lots of races including three half marathons. I just signed up for the NYC marathon (guaranteed entry) in November 2012. So I'll be training for that and I am already excited and nervous. Most importantly, I need to (and will) lose 40 or so pounds prior to the marathon to get to a better running weight. Upcoming races include the SunTrust Rock and Roll half marathon in DC this March.

Feel free to message me or send a friend request!

Christina
  • cprice05
    cprice05 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am training for my first full (Yakima River Canyon) on March 31st. I have completed one half and thought that was the perfect distance for me. Then I became friends with other runners and decided I would train with them. I would also like to do the Ragnar Relay and I'm sure I'll include some other events in my future. Nothing compares to crossing the finish line :smile:

Christina
  • Kwika
    Kwika Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have ran one half marathon and dozens of smaller races. My dream is to run boston. I am restarting running after having illness issues. I am beginning training got the across rhr bay 12K in San Francisco. My roommate has given me an ultimatum for rhis race and could use all the help I can get.