Stage 1

Options

Replies

• bigbugboo
    bigbugboo Posts: 161
    Options
    I've now completed workout 1b. Doing this at home. I found the lunges hard going with two x 11 lb dumbells. I got really deep with them, and it felt like my quads were going to rip apart. I did manage to complete the set though, but felt very wobbly and in pain afterwards.

I'm shocked at how much strength I have lost since my late twenties. I used to throw around twice this weight and more! Enjoying the challenge though, and hoping for my strength to increase somewhat more over the coming months.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow! the woman in that thread looks amazing!! If I can see half the results she got, I will be psyched!

I think I'm still slightly underestimating what I can lift for weight. I find Im only slowly increasing my weights and sticking with higher reps (mostly 15) or adding an extra set. I guess I'm sort of nervous to really push myself... I am still feeling the results though - sore muscles! haha
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say Hi to everyone new here!!! I'm currently in stage 5 and really love this program. I just wanted to pass along a few thoughts I had. If there is a cardio activity you love stick with it but make sure you eat more to cover the cardio calories. I still love to dance and do zumba so I stick with that 2x week. I also like to get outside for a run sometimes. You'll be adding HIIT after your workouts in later stages also. Weight...that's a big one..haha!! For me personally I have not lost scale weight...that sucker won't budge and I expected that so I'm fine. My mirror, my clothes and my family and friends tell a different story..:) My kids will ask to feel my muscles...lmao!! Nutrition wise try to eat healthy with a small deficit if weight loss is your goal. Maintenance if body recomposition is what your looking for. This has just been my experience with the program...nice to "meet" yall!

EXCELLENT info. Thank you. (Just started program Monday.............)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Completed Stage 1 day one last night. I felt like I sufficiently challenged myself (most 2nd sets I upped the weight that I used in the 1st) yet I'm not as sore today as I anticipated. Hmm.

Another hurdle is calories. According to the book I should be eating 1600 on non-workout days (which, coincidentally, is where I have my level set now) and 1900 on workout days. As I said before, I'm not new to MFP and have typically eaten my exercise cals back. I am finding it hard to get to 1600 cals let alone 1900. I did Zumba last night as well and when the day was over my net was pretty low (I bumped it up with a few Hershey's kisses, lol). I can only eat so much in a day and I like to eat as 'clean' as I can. I'm thinking of little things I can so, like maybe trade my 1% milk to 2% (or even whole - the horror!!) - stuff like that. Does anyone have insight to help a sistah out?

Thanks much!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Completed Stage 1 day one last night. I felt like I sufficiently challenged myself (most 2nd sets I upped the weight that I used in the 1st) yet I'm not as sore today as I anticipated. Hmm.

Another hurdle is calories. According to the book I should be eating 1600 on non-workout days (which, coincidentally, is where I have my level set now) and 1900 on workout days. As I said before, I'm not new to MFP and have typically eaten my exercise cals back. I am finding it hard to get to 1600 cals let alone 1900. I did Zumba last night as well and when the day was over my net was pretty low (I bumped it up with a few Hershey's kisses, lol). I can only eat so much in a day and I like to eat as 'clean' as I can. I'm thinking of little things I can so, like maybe trade my 1% milk to 2% (or even whole - the horror!!) - stuff like that. Does anyone have insight to help a sistah out?

Thanks much!

The calorie suggestions in the book are (I believe) to be followed exactly and not to be added to due to exercise....therefore, you eat either 1600 or 1900 and don't count exercise calories. I go in between and do 1800 every day (and don't eat any exercise calories) and it has been fine.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I am joining the group and will be doing Stage 1 Day 1 today. I haven't read through the whole thread yet but I will because I'm sure there are some great pointers for me!
    Happy Lifting!:smile:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Back from my meeting with the trainer. What fun! Beeps, I think it must have been what you've been going through- so many details to try to keep in mind! For me, square stance, butt out, lead with hips, don't let the knees go in, extend spine/curved back, keep the upper back tight, "bend the bar," etc etc. Wow, so hard to do perfectly. So so hard. But it was awesome. He helped me lift way more than I thought I could, so I'm feeling really good.

My fear that he'd tell me to lift a barbie weight instead was silly of course. He expressed excitement that a woman really wanted to handle the barbell and said "too many women are scared." I was liiike, "Bring it, Baby." jk. but he did call me "Nugget" several times, which made me chuckle.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Back from my meeting with the trainer. What fun! Beeps, I think it must have been what you've been going through- so many details to try to keep in mind! For me, square stance, butt out, lead with hips, don't let the knees go in, extend spine/curved back, keep the upper back tight, "bend the bar," etc etc. Wow, so hard to do perfectly. So so hard. But it was awesome. He helped me lift way more than I thought I could, so I'm feeling really good.

My fear that he'd tell me to lift a barbie weight instead was silly of course. He expressed excitement that a woman really wanted to handle the barbell and said "too many women are scared." I was liiike, "Bring it, Baby." jk. but he did call me "Nugget" several times, which made me chuckle.

Having someone there to look at your form is really helpful! I have had a friend with me at the gym this week and he has helped me and I agree with you grapenut, better form for me = easier lifting as well! Today I did workout 1b of stage 2 and I definitely think I can lift more on the deadlift than I did today, I'll be adding next week!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,957 Member
    Options
    I like your post, grapenut!

It does feel like drinking from a firehose, though.

I really LOVE all the information. But, what's intimidating is then trying to INCORPORATE all of it when (alone) in the gym. I'm not, at all, intimidated by the guys mulling around, or the equipment, but I AM intimidated by how many things I have to remember to get form right.

Let's just say I'll be glad when some of this stuff becomes "second nature" - because right now, it all feels like a HUGE learning curve. Which just adds to my dismay - because I could/should/would have learned this a LONG time ago if I'd bothered to stop running/elliptical/step-classes for half a second.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I did 1B today and other than the fact that it was 35 degrees in my garage (where I work out) I enjoyed the workout. I am really dedicated to working this program exactly as he lays it out in the book (give or take on the length of the stages as I get going). I will keep telling myself that over and over again too! I had done two rounds of P90X and while I did see improvement and gains in strength I was a little disappointed that I didn't gain more strength. Now that I've read the book I'm thinking it's because my body was just not given the time it needed to recover and I was probably over training. In addition to the P90X workouts I was also doing Taekwondo two times a week and there were times I really felt out of gas.

So I'm sticking with the motto that Less is More but my brain is struggling to not feel guilty about not doing a bunch of cardio on the off days. I've read the facebook page and he suggested if you do cardio to do it on the same day as weights and take the next day as a complete recovery day. Since my TKD is on Mon-Weds. that coincides with two of my strength days so I figure I'll just take his advice and have those off days.

Mostly I'm telling you all this so I can put my intentions in print and solidify my commitment to myself. :) I really want to see some strength gains this time!

On another note, how do you make sure a trainer is qualified to teach you form? I work out at home and have watched oodles of videos and read a ton about form but I feel like it would be really good if I were to pay for at least one session and get set up by someone who knows what they're doing and can see what I'm doing. My problem is, I live in a little town and know everyone at the gym even if I don't go there. The trainers there are your average mom who lost weight and decided to become a personal trainer or a guy who has been a gym rat forever. Not saying they don't know what they're doing but how do I find out for sure before I let them teach me? I'll travel to a bigger town (they're not that far from us really) if I need to but I want to make sure I'm not being taught incorrectly.
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    Knittnponder, that's a good quest re:qualifications. My gym actually posts pics of all the trainers along with their education, credentials, and philosophy. I wonder if there's a place (even on the website) of the gym you attend or are thinking of visiting?
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    Beeps, a firehose- yikes! I agree that incorporating everything is the most intimidating component. Absolutely! Second nature feels very far for me! How often do you meet with the trainer? I'm thinking of hiring for some sessions, but am reluctant to spend too much dough, esp since my gym is already a (wicked awesome and wicked worth it) splurge.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I just started the program this week, I was really excited that I had all the equipment already except for a Swiss ball. I had been attending a bootcamp over the last year and I will miss some aspects of it, especially the people. But I am excited to begin lifting heavy again. It's been a couple of years. I need to get someone to help me with before pics and measurements.

knittnponder- you may see about asking for references from clients who have used the trainer(s) you may be interested in.
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Beeps, that thread that you posted (the ginormous man muscles) is my little sister. :happy:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    but I AM intimidated by how many things I have to remember to get form right.

I know how you feel. I'm very conscious of my form...especially with the squats. Hope I'm doing them right!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Hell, no, Jennifer, really???? Well, she's my BIGGEST motivation just now. I'm posting that thread all over mfp, I tell you!! Congrats on your impending "auntie-hood" (again!)...but I cannot IMAGINE how distressed I'd be to FINALLY sport a 6-pack and then head into another pregnancy...I'd be pretty devastated!! Can you tell me: a) what nutrition plan she followed while she did NROL4W (because she *did* lose weight at the same time), and b) is she YOUR inspiration for trying NROL4W??

anyhoooo, in other news: knittponder, if you can film yourself (from the side) doing a movement, you can then post it on the "bodybuilding" group here on mfp, and they will critique your form! No charge!!

grapenut, I didn't want to spend $$ on a PT, either....I wanted the $$ I spend on my gym membership to be enough! (Plus, I'm spending on physiotherapy, just now, for my plantar fasciaitis, too!) But, now that I've plunked down some $$ for the PT, I'm glad that I did. Some up-front cash out-lay is probably going to be a BIG help on my form, which is a life-long important matter. And, truly if my 2012 goals *are* what I say they *are*, then investing in a PT to kick-start my program, is a good investment, I figure.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! Yep, I am still here!!! Reduced my workouts to two a week, well actually started that this week. I am doing this mainly because I felt very tired last week doing 3 in between teaching 4 Zumba classes. But I might have found the culprit! My iron levels are low again!!! I kinda suspected it because I was feeling tired, started to cramp again, moving my legs while asleep (my husband's report), etc. It is not the first time, I tend to become anemic a couple of times a year. So I am hoping my energy will come back now that I am taking iron supplements again and might go back to lifting 3 times a week instead of two. I am only on my third week of stage 1.

Take care everyone!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, alf, I'm glad you checked your iron levels!! Even doing it twice a week, with all your zumba, I can exactly see how tired you might be! How soon will the iron pills move your iron back to "normal" levels??
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    alf, I my energy was pretty low on some days also, and now after two weeks of supplementing with iron daily, I was feeling better and even able to get up for a morning workout! I always take iron during TOM, but hadn't been taking it daily.

Iron is always a problem for women because we lose it during the TOM. I'd encourage all your ladies on this board to start tracking your iron intake as well (you can add it in as a column on your diary right here on MFP) to make sure you get enough. It can really make a difference in your workouts.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

Iron is always a problem for women because we lose it during the TOM. I'd encourage all your ladies on this board to start tracking your iron intake as well (you can add it in as a column on your diary right here on MFP) to make sure you get enough. It can really make a difference in your workouts.

I agree with this. :)