Stage 1

Options

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    So I've upped my calorie intake and I've started this workout. Is the beginning supposed to feel as if you're not doing enough? Can you up the repetions or sets? I mean, I was sweating at the end last night, but the workout seemed so short.

I'd appreciate input. I'm about at the end of my weight loss rope because of the lack of any real achievements on this journey so far.

Thanks!

It's really weird but yes. I often walk out of the gym feeling like I've done nothing. It really does feel like cheating.
    However if you do every exercise close to or to failure (so as heavy as you can) then you really start to see the results. I am amazed at how much I am currently able to lift and I'm only on week 4.

So do you do two reps or do you do enough reps until you can't lift any more? I'm confused.

I go by what's in the book. So I'm currently on 10 reps and three sets (for most things). I do each set to failure. So if on the first set of ten I don't fail I'll up the weight on the second set and the same for the third set of 10.
    Where are you on the plan?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely finding the A workouts a little easier than the B in Stage 1. For A3 Squat (20 on the bar in the rack), seated row (75), push-ups (regular), Step ups (45) and jack knives (feels like I can do Way more than the 12 prescribed.)
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    today was deadlift today and all the bars were being used, so I ended up doing dumbell deadlifts and wasn't a fan of those, and I'm pretty sure my form was all screwed up. Better than nothing I suppose!!! I'm feeling it, that's for sure!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I go by what's in the book. So I'm currently on 10 reps and three sets (for most things). I do each set to failure. So if on the first set of ten I don't fail I'll up the weight on the second set and the same for the third set of 10.
    Where are you on the plan?

[/quote]

Uh-oh! Now I'm confused! I thought the book said 2 sets not 3 for stage 1. Have I misunderstood?
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh! Now I'm confused! I thought the book said 2 sets not 3 for stage 1. Have I misunderstood?

Maggie, you need this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/388750-link-for-prepopulated-log

download the excel sheet and it's a lifesaver. Sounds like you may have skipped a bit.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options

Maggie, you need this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/388750-link-for-prepopulated-log

download the excel sheet and it's a lifesaver. Sounds like you may have skipped a bit.

Oh thanks Jen, but i've already got that. I've just checked, and to my relief I see that workouts 1-4 are 2 sets, and 5-9 is 3 sets. I still just a newbie on workout 3, so I'm OK. Phew!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Halfway now. The squat rack is helping me lift so much heavier. I can do 40kg (including bar) for both squat and deadlift now! My only question is, how am I supposed to do the deadlift in the rack? I had to manouver the bar out and felt like an idiot! I won't be able to do that for heavier weights.

Lunges are getting easier. I'm staying on 10kg for them for at least the next workout. My form is terrible for them.

Dumbbell shoulder press I'm on 6kg. Woo! Will go up after next workout too!

Lag pull down I'm on 40kg and that's still a real struggle so will stay there. I'm struggling to get it below my chin is that ok?

My strength has increased HEAPS (from 15kg deadlift to 40kg!) and I can see a waist emerging. I'm going to ask for measurements on Monday at weih in.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Wow Lozze, those are some serious weights halfway thru stage 1!!

I've got myself into a tizzy over squat form. Spent all afternoon researching it. Turns out for the back squat you can position the bar high or low. Now I watched a v good Rippletoe vid on starting strength (which i've linked to before), which, as it now turns out, is about the LOW bar back squat, where the bar is on the back muscles, and the top of it is about level with the shoulders. Thumbs don't wrap around the bar, and stance at the top is leaning slightly forward to compensate. At the bottom the body is less vertical and butt not so far down.

Then there's the regular HIGH bar back squat which I suspect I probably should have been doing- bar goes on the traps (top of the back), thumbs wrap round the bar, torso is more upright even at the bottom, and butt can get further down.

This vid shows the difference
    I got the link and info from the nrl4w forums, they don't seem to specify which, if any, is correct. I expect i'm over-thinking this.
    Either way I would like to get waaaaayyy lower in a squat, real A2G, so I'll keep my weights low while I progress down i think.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Halfway now. The squat rack is helping me lift so much heavier. I can do 40kg (including bar) for both squat and deadlift now! My only question is, how am I supposed to do the deadlift in the rack? I had to manouver the bar out and felt like an idiot! I won't be able to do that for heavier weights.

Don't load it in the rack. Load it on the floor. That's what I do.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Workout 5B done.

Deadlifted 85 lbs for three sets, I think I'm going to attempt 90-95 next time. On Monday I had trouble with my grip on 85, but today it was fine. I'm also subbing prone jackknifes for the swiss ball crunch as someone suggested, because even with a 45 lb plate those crunches aren't doing anything for me. The jackknifes are eternally difficult for me, but I eked out the required three sets of 12, that's the first time I've been able to hit the required number of reps!
  • Christinah5150
    Christinah5150 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    QUESTION!?! Hi! I just started the program yesterday and I'm a little confused. Do you do workout A&B on the same day? If not, then how do you alternate them? Also, I'm very sore, is it still okay to lift tomorrow if I'm still sore? Thanks!
  • badgerbadger1
    Options
    QUESTION!?! Hi! I just started the program yesterday and I'm a little confused. Do you do workout A&B on the same day? If not, then how do you alternate them? Also, I'm very sore, is it still okay to lift tomorrow if I'm still sore? Thanks!

Three lifting days per week. For example M-W-F, and you alternate workout A and workout B. So first week M(A)-W(B)-F(A), second week M(B)-W(A)-F(B) and so on.

Do not lift two days in a row. As per the book, rest days are the most important part of this program, that is when muscle is built. If you have no rest days in between lifting days, your muscles don't have time to repair themselves and grow stronger.

If you're sore from your first workout and it's two days later, yes, lift that day provided it's just muscle soreness and not joint pain.

Hope that helps :)
  • Christinah5150
    Christinah5150 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Three lifting days per week. For example M-W-F, and you alternate workout A and workout B. So first week M(A)-W(B)-F(A), second week M(B)-W(A)-F(B) and so on.

Do not lift two days in a row. As per the book, rest days are the most important part of this program, that is when muscle is built. If you have no rest days in between lifting days, your muscles don't have time to repair themselves and grow stronger.

If you're sore from your first workout and it's two days later, yes, lift that day provided it's just muscle soreness and not joint pain.

Thank you so much!!
  • badgerbadger1
    Options

Thank you so much!!

You're welcome! Welcome to the group and I hope you enjoy the program as much as the rest of us.
  • MissMaggie3
    Options
    HUNGER! I have a couple of questions about hunger and calories, and would really appreciate some advice.

I'm a newbie, and I've just finished week 3 of stage 1. The hunger has really taken me by surprise - I am getting SO hungry, but not on the days I lift. I'm messing with the rules, in that I'm using the hunger as my guide rather than stick to the schedule of when I'm supposed to eat extra. Before I started this, I was maintaining on 1650, but working out a lot - circuit training, cardio etc - and always eating back my exercise calories. I'm now going over 1650 on lifting days a bit, typically by about just 100 cals I think, but on rest days I need - and I mean NEED - 300, 400 or even 500+ extra calories. I'm doing fairly gentle cardio on rest days, so I can end up with net calories of around 2300.

My first question is, should I force myself to eat extra on lifting days, or keep on using the signals my body gives me? I thought I was gaining weight, but now I seem to be the same as I was on maintenance, but I have noticed a little extra loose skin (eek!). So presumably I am gaining muscle in places. I lift in the evening, so was wondering if I'm 'carrying over' the need for extra calories for that reason.

My second question is, do you think I should assume a maintenance level higher than it was? I'm about right with the estimates according to the book (and how my body was previously), but I kind of feel my metabolism has quickly responded to the programme.

If it helps, I'm 5' 4" and I currently weigh 114 pounds. I'm age 53. I'm just about hitting the 30% protein requirement, but some days only manage 28% or 29%.
  • samntha14
    Options
    HUNGER! I have a couple of questions about hunger and calories, and would really appreciate some advice.

I'm a newbie, and I've just finished week 3 of stage 1. The hunger has really taken me by surprise - I am getting SO hungry, but not on the days I lift. I'm messing with the rules, in that I'm using the hunger as my guide rather than stick to the schedule of when I'm supposed to eat extra. Before I started this, I was maintaining on 1650, but working out a lot - circuit training, cardio etc - and always eating back my exercise calories. I'm now going over 1650 on lifting days a bit, typically by about just 100 cals I think, but on rest days I need - and I mean NEED - 300, 400 or even 500+ extra calories. I'm doing fairly gentle cardio on rest days, so I can end up with net calories of around 2300.

• samntha14
    Options
    oops, did that wrong.
    This is a great question for me too. I've been zig-zagging I'd guess you call it. I'm not really hungry on the days I exercise and I'll end up 300-500 cals below my goal. On the next day, non-exercise day, I'll eat almost all of those calories back. I also work out pretty late in the day so my body probably doesn't feel it until the next day. I'm still hitting my weekly goal though.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Lunges are getting easier. I'm staying on 10kg for them for at least the next workout. My form is terrible for them.

Dumbbell shoulder press I'm on 6kg. Woo! Will go up after next workout too!

Lag pull down I'm on 40kg and that's still a real struggle so will stay there. I'm struggling to get it below my chin is that ok?

My strength has increased HEAPS (from 15kg deadlift to 40kg!) and I can see a waist emerging. I'm going to ask for measurements on Monday at weih in.

hi . you dont lift in the rack. the rack is used for when the weights are too heavy for you to get them over your head.

for deadlifts, you can just take the oly bar out of the cage and set it on the ground outside. then you just load your plates and do your deads from there. dont load the weights first before taking the bar out..

also, for the lat pull downs, i'd suggest lightening your weight because the best part of the exercise is when the bar is past your chin since it's forcing you to work your scapula. you will definitely need those on later stages when you work towards doing chin ups
  • SarahZap
    SarahZap Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    So I'm starting today. Bought the book this weekend and I got everything together and made it to the gym for my first workout today. I'm pretty pumped about it. The gym was pretty crowded so my rest times were a little longer than they should have been but still feel like I got a great work out. My legs feel like Jell-o. It seemed weird going in the gym for only an hour though, usually I was in the gym for a couple of hours at a time but then again this is kinda nice right now since it leaves me with more time to do other things and I still feel like I got in a good work out. I tired to post this in the first stage 1 topic but it's locked and wouldn't let me. Anyone else starting this week?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    hi . you dont lift in the rack. the rack is used for when the weights are too heavy for you to get them over your head.

Having 20kg on the Olympic bar means I can't get it over my head. (88lbs including the bar) There's no way I could do it out of the squat rack at that weight.
    for deadlifts, you can just take the oly bar out of the cage and set it on the ground outside. then you just load your plates and do your deads from there. dont load the weights first before taking the bar out..

Yeah I've been having a lot of blonde moments. I'm new to free weights and last week was the first time I've used the squat rack. The last time I did squats (8 years ago) the PT had me using the Smith machine.
    also, for the lat pull downs, i'd suggest lightening your weight because the best part of the exercise is when the bar is past your chin since it's forcing you to work your scapula. you will definitely need those on later stages when you work towards doing chin ups

My error there was going from 33kg to 40kg instead of using the little 'in between' weights. Will make sure to go below the chin on Wed.

Did 5A today. Felt really good! Was able to get lower on the pushups (I'd been doing them on the wall with my hands about chest height) Used the weights bench. Awkward momenet when I first started doing it and a guy walked past and shoved my *kitten* down! He immeaditly fell over himself apologizing said I was doing it wrong and he's a PT and just reacted. I was happy to be corrected! Did the first and last set on the weights bar (with my *kitten* correct!) and the second against the wall.

Step ups I keep seeing people mention 'pushing off'. What does that mean?