Weigh-in/Measurement updates

Options
ANewLucia
ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
Please come back to this forum to give updates. It is great to learn about progress, setbacks, challenges etc. Let's check in at least once a month but I will probably give feedback more often then that.

Provide start date, old and new cals for workout and nonworkout days, inches lost, clothes size..etc.

I so wish I noted the date I upped cals but I would say it was the 1st or 2nd week of Jan. I was at 1500 and upped to 1800 cals on nonworkout days and have failed to eat back enough cals on high cardio days. Nope not even close to netting on some days even BMR...not good. I know that has slowed weightloss for me and this past week I have cut cardio tremendously. Thus far I have lost a total 7.2lbs, an inch off my waist, .5in off thighs and hips. Today I am bumping my cals up to 1950 because I think I have plataeued again.

Replies

• Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    bump for later will get stats to post.
  • Saskenn
    Saskenn Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great idea
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'll be updating to give an idea of how much the scale fluctuates when lifting heavy, so that those who plan to go that route, understand the ups and downs and try not to sweat what the scale says.

I have been bulking for a little over the last 3 months, with the intention of a .5 gain per week (in hopes of at least .25 of the gain being muscle). Because I'm lifting ridiculously heavy, the scale has no idea what to do w/me. For those that aren't bulking, you can still use the following as a gauge to exactly how up and down the scale can be w/heavy lifting, and AT BEST, take scale measurements w/a grain of salt......

For instance (**read stats from the bottom up***):

03/06/12 127 (after a day of heavy lifting, but TTOM bloat going down)
    03/05/12 129.1 (didn't lift over the weekend, still TTOM)
    03/03/12 132.1 (3 weeks into my heavy lifting routine, PLUS TTOM)
    03/01/12 127.8 (back to lifting heavy)
    02/20/12 124 (Monday weigh-in, no lifting over the weekend)
    02/18/12 127.6 (Saturday weigh-in, day after heavy lifting)
    02/10/12 123.8 (<<<<<2 weeks off from weights /still sick, eating is unchanged @ 2000+)
    02/09/12 125.2 (Recovery week, no weights just light stretching planned, but got sick, so no workouts at all)
    02/04/12 127.5 (<<<<TTOM hits)
    02/01/12 125.9 (2 days off from lifting)
    01/31/12 127.4 (<<<<<<Heaviest lifting week of this months rotation)
    01/26/12 123.1 (2nd extra super heavy lifting week repeated)
    01/21/12 123.2 (extra week of SUPER heavy lifting)
    01/12/12 121.6 (after a day of no lifting)
    01/08/12 122.8 (lifting again, last wk of current months rotation, but decided to extend it 2 more weeks)
    12/29/11 121.3 (after a day of no weight lifting)
    12/25/11 122.7 (back from recovery, weight held steady at 118, despite increase, so I increased again)
    12/09/11 118.8 (had an injury, took an early recovery week, no weights, same cals)
    11/22/11 120.2 (holding steady at this # for a while, was convinced that cals could not increase further)
    11/21/11 120.2 (preparing to up cals again next month, but held off upon seeing the first gain)
    11/14/11 119.7 (beginning of bulk, first cal increase last month, no real weight gain up until this point)

And remember that although I'm "bulking" I began this journey, size 2, and am currently wearing a 4 to accommodate my legs that are often carrying around the extra pump from my heavy lifts....
    (Just FYI for those that intend to bulk one day)
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hello all, just tenatively started my first bulk last week. Prior to that ate at maintenance for 2 weeks with no weights (2500-3000 cals, includes exercise calories). Ended up losing 3.8 lbs. Went back to weights last week and I am up 2 pounds in a week. However, I think at least a pound of that is water. (Lost water during 2 weeks of weight lifting, gained water weight when hitting the weights again). I am okay with it, even though I had kind of a rocky start to all of this! Ill be cutting in May when I finish my current weights rotation.
  • lindsayjdodd
    lindsayjdodd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I upped my cals about 2 weeks ago. Last week I lost 1.4 lbs (after fluctuating 2-4 lbs above my previous weigh-in), and an inch from my waist and half an inch in both my arms and thighs. This week I lost another 1.4 lbs, and half an inch in my waist, hips, and thighs! EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS!! I love fueling my body with the food it needs!! And my body is loving me for giving it adequate nutrition! :)
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    7 days after eating 1800 or more I have dropped 1.5 kilos or 3.3 pounds. This is after staying around the same weight for 2 weeks.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    7 days after eating 1800 or more I have dropped 1.5 kilos or 3.3 pounds. This is after staying around the same weight for 2 weeks.

Get out...Oh so sweet!!!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I can't believe I totally forgot to post my little NSV...yesterday I ate so much I just felt pudgy...I tell you I had a dream that I just got disgusted with the whole weightloss thing and just gave up (ha that sure was a dream alright). I guess that dream came from the 3lb jump I had over the last two weeks which was a combo of sodium, TOM and some heavy lift days. So the scale came down two pounds and I lifted heavy yesterday so I knew this morning I might be up a little...well I went down another .2 but the best part another .5 in disappeared off my waist. DOWN TO 26.5IN. I looked lean... I mean really was that the same person that looked pudgy last night???
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    Another half inch? Thats a tinie tiny waist. :) Your going to look great in whatever dress you finally buy.
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    OK I am on day 5 and did my measurements and I've gone up everywhere, 3cm on my hips! I don't have a scale because I obsess too much with the number....I am really scared about this increase, I know everyone keeps telling me its normal but I am just feeling really anxious about it, and thinking I will be that 1% that this wont work for.....I really want to see this out but if I keep going up I don't know if I will be able to deal with it, I know it sounds dramatic but as a sufferer of anxiety I have these tendencies anyway....I went through a huge stage of depression when I was at my biggest and gaining takes me back to those feelings...and because I gain so easily and it's literally taken me 18months to even get to here and I have worked so hard I just couldnt handle the thought of going backwards...HELP!
  • JadeRabbit08
    Options
    (Reply to Sloanie)

Just pulling all the info together then we can figure it out.

Ok so you started off at 1200 and have been stalled for a number of months. You have been on and off diets for many years which I am assuming were low cal diets?

5foot 1
    Weigh about 125lbs
    Goal lose another 12lbs
    1924 calories is your calculation of 15% below your TDEE So you would be eating 1924 plus about 200 cal on weight lifting days plus whatever you burn during cardio.

Exercise is 6 days a week and you are doing Asylum ( in week 3) and you lift weights.
    (your arms, neck and chest muscles look great by the way)

You say "even get here" like where you are at the moment isn't that impressive. You are not only in a healthy weight range for your height, you look great. You have muscle. A few centimetres gain while your body adjusts to being fed is not going to turn you into a hideous monster.

Have you upped your weight lifting in this time? That could make the measurement go up for a couple of days.
    Some people go up while their body gratefully takes in much needed nutrients its been deprived of for too long. Then they see a loss occur after this.

Do you have healthy strategies for dealing with your anxiety when you suspect something may trigger it? Start putting those in place.

I am feeling really sorry for your body right now. Its done so well, lost all the weight you wanted, its looking great, be kind. Treat it like a stray puppy on your doorstep and nurture it abit. Maybe take this time to find really healthy nutritionally dense foods to feed it. When you eat see it as an expression of love towards your body. Its done a great job to get you where you are right now and it is going to be the body that sees you through to the end of your days.

Its not going backwards if your body takes a couple of weeks to heal its metabolism for you. Let it do that. Thats moving forwards. Keep your eye on the mid and long term.

Now go out and do something fun that feels good.
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jade for listening and understanding and for your kind words....I am my own worst enemy although I'm a lot better than I used to be!

I haven't been lifting while I'm doing Asylum but this program incorporates weight training on some of the workout days....my arm muscles have really grown since I started the program, I have really noticed that change, and you are right a lot of the increase could in fact be muscle although in my mind all I see is fat!

Yes I along with taking medication for my OCD I also have some strategies for coping with it, but weight gain is my biggest fear so is ingrained in my mind....BUT I am going to take your advice and I'm going to stick it out because the alternative is going around in circles being more miserable, so a short term dose of anxiety will out weigh this.

Thanks again, I'm not one to give up easily so will stay strong and look forward to seeing some great results..:o)
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    Three weeks in and I've lost an inch off my waist and a half inch off my hips! My weight has been all over the place as I've been doing a lot of eating out for the last couple days, but I'm going to get back on track next week and officially check the progress next weekend. I had set 4 weeks as my "give it a shot" time, but I think this already tells me I'm doing the right thing regardless of the number on my scale.
  • Simmie69
    Simmie69 Posts: 72
    Options
    Hi guys,
    So I started upping my calories and yesterday was my first day (thanks Sloanie) and I felt really for the lack of work bloated (but full). I took measurements so I can compare moving forward and I will be taking pictures every 2 weeks. I think what's confusing me is what number to actually put as my daily calorie intake.
    I'm 5'7, CW: 174.2, GW: 151 (give or take) I'm 41. My TDEE is at 2370 so less 20% that's 1896 calories daily. Is that the number I should strive to get to daily? What about workouts? I logged at 1600+ yesterday No workout).
    I just want to make sure I'm not failing at this and that I have it figured out before continuing.

I have hidden the scale because like Sloan I start obsessing about the number and that pushes me in a downward spiral..

Thanks, I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

Simmie
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    So I started upping my calories and yesterday was my first day (thanks Sloanie) and I felt really for the lack of work bloated (but full). I took measurements so I can compare moving forward and I will be taking pictures every 2 weeks. I think what's confusing me is what number to actually put as my daily calorie intake.
    I'm 5'7, CW: 174.2, GW: 151 (give or take) I'm 41. My TDEE is at 2370 so less 20% that's 1896 calories daily. Is that the number I should strive to get to daily? What about workouts? I logged at 1600+ yesterday No workout).
    I just want to make sure I'm not failing at this and that I have it figured out before continuing.

I have hidden the scale because like Sloan I start obsessing about the number and that pushes me in a downward spiral..

Thanks, I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

Simmie
    Hi Simmie :)
    1896 Is a fine place to start- you might find your body likes being at a smaller deficit (15% for example) but for now- this is a great place to start and get to become at ease with eating and fueling your weightloss. Exercise- eat back your exercise calories. We're losing weight through diet- not through huge cardio burns.

That measuring tape is your new best friend. The scale lies lol Keep in mind- even with measuring tape bloating will skew some numbers (hello TOM and sodium!) but is far more indicative of progress.

Congrats on wanting to get it right and do it right too! :D
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Gemi Update- Another 2.5 inches gone! That's 17.5 inches total! :D

SO FAR that is :D

It really does work when I give my body something to work WITH!
    YAY FOOD!
  • Simmie69
    Simmie69 Posts: 72
    Options
    [/quote]
    Hi Simmie :)
    1896 Is a fine place to start- you might find your body likes being at a smaller deficit (15% for example) but for now- this is a great place to start and get to become at ease with eating and fueling your weightloss. Exercise- eat back your exercise calories. We're losing weight through diet- not through huge cardio burns.

That measuring tape is your new best friend. The scale lies lol Keep in mind- even with measuring tape bloating will skew some numbers (hello TOM and sodium!) but is far more indicative of progress.

Congrats on wanting to get it right and do it right too! :D
    [/quote]

Thank you! I will keep an eye on the deficit..
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Gemi Update- Another 2.5 inches gone! That's 17.5 inches total! :D

SO FAR that is :D

It really does work when I give my body something to work WITH!
    YAY FOOD!

Yayayayaya..
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Today I decided to up my calories. I am aiming for 1700 to 1800 up from like 1530. My TDEE is 2200 so I know I should get it up mre and I will work on it. Too much at once overwhelms me lol. Here are my starting stats:

Weigh 205.6 (down from 320 at the start of mfp)
    Neck: 15.0
    Bust: 43.5
    Bicep: 16.0
    Forearm:12.0
    Waist: 44.5
    Hips: 49.5
    Thigh: 27.5
    Calf: 17.0

I also took before pics in a sports bra and pants, but I will wait to post those for when I have something to compare too.