TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options
    I *so* want to understand this, but I'm confused.

I used the formula that Lucia posted at the beginning of the thread. If I didn't goof it up, my RMR is 1,589.2
    I'm 6' tall, 47 yrs. old, and weigh 190. I exercise 5-6/week and burn approx. 560/day. I had actually hoped to up my cals, and rest 2 days instead of just 1, but I"m afraid I'll go back the other way.

MFP allows me 1700 cals/day. Have I been eating too much if my RMR is essentially 1580?

I went to Fitness Frog and it had my BMR at 1,588 so I think my calculations must be okay.
    FF had my TDEE @ 2,461 (which includes all those exercise calories,) right?

I promise I'm not normally a moron, but this whole concept, lingo, whatever has me baffled.

Ok so you need to subtract 15% from tdee which is your cut cals...your nonworkoutday cals.

I suggest start lifting weight 3 days and add 200 to your nonworkout cals. On your 2 days cardio then need to Net at least your BMR...calc above.

Think of it like this if you burn 600 and let's say Nonwkout cals is 2000, then your net is 1400. So you need to eat at least enough to get u over BMR.

So would you recommend I set MFP with 2,000 as my calorie goal? And I'll try to eat that many every day? (More on my higher burn/cardio days?) So I net at least my 1588 BMR?

Thanks so much, Lucia!
    Lori
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I *so* want to understand this, but I'm confused.

I used the formula that Lucia posted at the beginning of the thread. If I didn't goof it up, my RMR is 1,589.2
    I'm 6' tall, 47 yrs. old, and weigh 190. I exercise 5-6/week and burn approx. 560/day. I had actually hoped to up my cals, and rest 2 days instead of just 1, but I"m afraid I'll go back the other way.

MFP allows me 1700 cals/day. Have I been eating too much if my RMR is essentially 1580?

I went to Fitness Frog and it had my BMR at 1,588 so I think my calculations must be okay.
    FF had my TDEE @ 2,461 (which includes all those exercise calories,) right?

I promise I'm not normally a moron, but this whole concept, lingo, whatever has me baffled.

Ok so you need to subtract 15% from tdee which is your cut cals...your nonworkoutday cals.

I suggest start lifting weight 3 days and add 200 to your nonworkout cals. On your 2 days cardio then need to Net at least your BMR...calc above.

Think of it like this if you burn 600 and let's say Nonwkout cals is 2000, then your net is 1400. So you need to eat at least enough to get u over BMR.

So would you recommend I set MFP with 2,000 as my calorie goal? And I'll try to eat that many every day? (More on my higher burn/cardio days?) So I net at least my 1588 BMR?

Thanks so much, Lucia!
    Lori

Yep:-)
  • LoriInIowa
    Options
    Okay, this is "rubber hits the road" kind of question. I've upped MFP to 2,040 (which MFP still claims I'll lose .3/lb a week instead of the jumbo aircraft estimation I *thought* it might give me) today is a rest day and outside of a 30 min/3 mph walk...I'm just relaxing (or trying to in the midst of this insane worry about WHAT am I doing??)

My MFP NET for today (after b'fast and lunch) says 1,059. (My BMR is 1.588) So I should probably only eat 500 cals the rest of the day??? My little 'box thingy' at the top of my home page says I have 981 calories remaining. So I still have 981 cals for the rest of the day?

I feel like my head is about ready to explode off my shoulders. :) And, hey, that might drop a pound or so? :)

Thanks for the help!
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Okay, this is "rubber hits the road" kind of question. I've upped MFP to 2,040 (which MFP still claims I'll lose .3/lb a week instead of the jumbo aircraft estimation I *thought* it might give me) today is a rest day and outside of a 30 min/3 mph walk...I'm just relaxing (or trying to in the midst of this insane worry about WHAT am I doing??)

My MFP NET for today (after b'fast and lunch) says 1,059. (My BMR is 1.588) So I should probably only eat 500 cals the rest of the day??? My little 'box thingy' at the top of my home page says I have 981 calories remaining. So I still have 981 cals for the rest of the day?

I feel like my head is about ready to explode off my shoulders. :) And, hey, that might drop a pound or so? :)

Thanks for the help!

Lol
    You eat your 2042 on nonworkout days...that means you eat your 981 today.
    Lift only days add 200
    Cardio days make sure you net at least your BMR but if you can net your 2042 all the better.
  • LoriInIowa
    Options

Thanks for the help!

Lol
    Lift only days add 200
    Cardio days make sure you net at least your BMR but if you can net your 2042 all the better.

okay, maybe this should officially be on the "freak out" thread....I should eat 2042 *REGARDLESS* of my activity?
    I (think) I understand that on my cardio days I'll be burning off some of the already figured cals, so I should try to NET at least my BMR, but still shoot for the 2042 NET?
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and I am hoping someone will reassure me my calculations are right!

Working it out myself with this formula: Women's RMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height in cm) - (4.7 x age in years)

655 + (9.6 x 69.1) + (1.8 x 152) - (4.7 x 37) = 1418.06

1418.06 x 1.55 = 2201 (making it 2200 for math!)

2200 + 10% = 2420

2420 - 15% = 2057

If I use the fitness frog tdee calculator my tdee comes out at 2199 - is this without the 10% added on? - this would make it close to my calculation but if not 15% off 2199 is 1869

188 difference seems quite a lot as I'm only 5' 0 "

Thank you in advance for any guidance : )
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and I am hoping someone will reassure me my calculations are right!

Working it out myself with this formula: Women's RMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height in cm) - (4.7 x age in years)

2200 + 10% = 2420

2420 - 15% = 2057

If I use the fitness frog tdee calculator my tdee comes out at 2199 - is this without the 10% added on? - this would make it close to my calculation but if not 15% off 2199 is 1869

I'm not sure but the 10% would get them closer. There are so many calculators... If it were me I ould start out doing 1800 cals on noworkout days, add 200 on lift days, and cardio days net no less than bmr but try to net your nonwkout cals.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Thanks for the help!

Lol
    Lift only days add 200

okay, maybe this should officially be on the "freak out" thread....I should eat 2042 *REGARDLESS* of my activity?
    I (think) I understand that on my cardio days I'll be burning off some of the already figured cals, so I should try to NET at least my BMR, but still shoot for the 2042 NET?

Yes exactly! I know it sounds like a lot. If you want try upping to 1800 at first, you may gain a little then lose some and plataeu, then upp another 100 cals from there. Give it 4-6 wks, if you don't gain but still aren't really losing then your body needs more food so go up.
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this and now understand it :D I'm not starving anymore! I keep seeing so many people still eating 1200 cals and saying they are starving. Well no wonder...I try to help them but most dont believe you. They are just screwing their metabolism... oh dear not bad mouthing anyone who wants to eat that but if you can eat more than why not... right!:) and the key is being patient. :D
  • tarachamp
    tarachamp Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this!

So I think I broke it down correctly...

988 (9.6x103) + 115 (1.8x64) + 238 (6.8x35) = 1341
    1341 X 1.55= 2078
    2078 x 10%= 2287
    2287 - 343 (15%) = 1944
  • LoriInIowa
    Options

Thanks for the help!

Lol
    Lift only days add 200

Yes exactly! I know it sounds like a lot. If you want try upping to 1800 at first, you may gain a little then lose some and plataeu, then upp another 100 cals from there. Give it 4-6 wks, if you don't gain but still aren't really losing then your body needs more food so go up.

Thanks so much, Lucia!

This is me being honest...yes, I've been doing cardio 5-6 days a week for over three months, but the main motivation was so I could eat more. I was having a hard time staying under my calories. I don't think eating my 2042 daily will be a problem (went over by 90 yesterday on my "rest" day), but my TDEE is based on the 5-6 days cardio, right?

As I know this is my LIFE from now on and NOT just a diet...I need to get this figured out. It needs to be something I can do for the rest of my life. I'm not sure I CAN do 5-6 days per week cardio. Since I've already upped my cals to 2042 in MFP, for this to be a true experiment I'm thinking I need to continue with my previous level of exercise to see if this will work for me?

On the other hand, I'd like to do 3 days cardio and 2 lifting, but don't know if that's lifetime sustainable either?

So much to think about.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options

On the other hand, I'd like to do 3 days cardio and 2 lifting, but don't know if that's lifetime sustainable either?

So much to think about.

I'd add in the lifting sooner, rather than later. Yes, it may make things a bit more complicated, but the results of lifting speak for themselves, and is well worth it. Besides, once you see the results, you just may conclude that it is DEFINITELY sustainable to lift 2 days (probably more) per week....

Kiki
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options

2200 + 10% = 2420

2420 - 15% = 2057

I'm not sure but the 10% would get them closer. There are so many calculators... If it were me I ould start out doing 1800 cals on noworkout days, add 200 on lift days, and cardio days net no less than bmr but try to net your nonwkout cals.

Thank you, seems a good place to start. Day 1 today and my appetite is kicking in every few hours!!
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Got all my calculations entered in and understand that part.

Question I have-

I'm going to eat my TDEE-15% for weight loss on non workout days.
    On days I workout, I will eat back enough exercise calories to make sure I'm at least eating my BMR but not to exceed TDEE.

Is my goal to NET my TDEE? I think I thought about this for too long....but if I just netted enough to get to my BMR wouldn't that be a large calorie defecit?
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Also, if TDEE figures in exercise, why do we still eat that much on a non workout day?

And if TDEE figures in exerts ecalories, why would I want to eat back more exercise calories on workout days? Is it just to make sure not to be under BMR? It seems like since TDEE already includes exercise cals, I shouldnt eat any more back other than to stay above my BMR. Is this correct?

Isn't TDEE factoring in that I AM exercising 5-6 times a week and giving me that many more calories a week? If I say I'm exercising 5-6 times a week and then only do 2-3 times a week, I would need to decrease my calories.

Sorry about all the questions, it's just not adding up for me. :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Also, if TDEE figures in exercise, why do we still eat that much on a non workout day?

And if TDEE figures in exerts ecalories, why would I want to eat back more exercise calories on workout days? Is it just to make sure not to be under BMR? It seems like since TDEE already includes exercise cals, I shouldnt eat any more back other than to stay above my BMR. Is this correct?

Isn't TDEE factoring in that I AM exercising 5-6 times a week and giving me that many more calories a week? If I say I'm exercising 5-6 times a week and then only do 2-3 times a week, I would need to decrease my calories.

Sorry about all the questions, it's just not adding up for me. :)

Yes, the TDEE takes into account your daily activity, however let's say for example I will use my numbers...my cut is 1950 and I workout and burn 1200, my net calories consumed is 750 calories. My BMR is 1456, so I am now lower than my BMR. So it is the same thing as not working out and only eating 750 for the day.

Maybe someone else can jump in regarding the acitivity level, but so far I know I had to cut back on the cardio because I was slowing my progress down with high burns and not being able to eat back the calories, so I was under BMR 3-4 times a week. I know in the NROLWFW it suggests on lift days to add 200 cals.

I will do some research as well and follow up here.
  • nellyb2011
    nellyb2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lucia. I am officially in eat more weigh less school! LOL!! Thanks for sharing.
  • kimg70
    kimg70 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    WOW, my brain is spinning out of control!!
    I want to understand, but I'm just not getting it. Will have to do the math and re-read tonight.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    ok i am giving this a try. been reading and researching alot about higher calories and i am a reformed VLC eater.

Right now I do cardio 45-60 min 5-6 days a week (i still have about 25-30 lbs of fat that i would like to get off in addition to adding muscle)

I am lifting 3-4 days a week and am trying to lift heavier then I have been. I work out with a trainer once a week who pushes me.

I figured my TDEE at 2667 so 15% less is 2267 so I will just round it to 2250 to make the number easier to remember.

My BMR came out as 1565 so rounding it to 1550.

On non workout days I should eat 2250, on workout days as long as I don't exercise more then 700 calories then I am ok, but if I do then I just need to make up that difference?

Yesterday I ate 2683 gross with a net of 2035 and was up a pound this morning. I know this is higher then my numbers above but I am worried I will put to much back on. Today I ate 2015 gross with a net of 1589 which is a little bit closer to the numbers I calculated above. I was going by numbers i found on fit fat tv. I guess I will see what happens with these numbers.

Just would love to hear if I am on the right track.

Will be picking up the new rules of lifting for women book tomorrow and reading up on that, because i really feel like i am not lifting heavy enough compared to others?
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    ok i am giving this a try. been reading and researching alot about higher calories and i am a reformed VLC eater.

Right now I do cardio 45-60 min 5-6 days a week (i still have about 25-30 lbs of fat that i would like to get off in addition to adding muscle)

I am lifting 3-4 days a week and am trying to lift heavier then I have been. I work out with a trainer once a week who pushes me.

I figured my TDEE at 2667 so 15% less is 2267 so I will just round it to 2250 to make the number easier to remember.

My BMR came out as 1565 so rounding it to 1550.

On non workout days I should eat 2250, on workout days as long as I don't exercise more then 700 calories then I am ok, but if I do then I just need to make up that difference?

Yesterday I ate 2683 gross with a net of 2035 and was up a pound this morning. I know this is higher then my numbers above but I am worried I will put to much back on. Today I ate 2015 gross with a net of 1589 which is a little bit closer to the numbers I calculated above. I was going by numbers i found on fit fat tv. I guess I will see what happens with these numbers.

Just would love to hear if I am on the right track.

Will be picking up the new rules of lifting for women book tomorrow and reading up on that, because i really feel like i am not lifting heavy enough compared to others?

Sounds like you got it down ;)

Yes, I'd stick to 2250 unless you burn over 700. Try to stay as close to the number as possible, especially first starting out, as your body will be very sensitive to the increase at first. So having too big of a difference in cals from one day to the next could lead your body to think that it's just a binge, in which case it will hoard every morsel, lol. When we are in recovery/re-feed from under-eating, our bodies become keenly aware/sensitive to higher cals. In the past, our "binges" have always meant one thing: that a "purge" was right around the corner. Whether literally, as in the case of bulimia, or figuratively as in we punish ourselves by eating very little the days following the binge.

Once your body learns to trust in "regular feedings," it will adapt, and you will be fine.

Kiki