Gryffindor Common Room

Options

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    can i join?

Hi lhawkins! Bronwen is our Head of House. I'm sure when she checks back in she'll be happy to add you to our spreadsheet. Here are the basics about how our House works:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/the-guide-to-being-a-successful-gryffindor-144313

The most recent challenges are posted above on Sunday in this thread by Bronwen, or you can look at her blog. It might seem confusing at first, but it's easy to get the hang of.

You can earn exercise points (both OWLS and House Points), food points, and Common Room sharing points. You can check in with your current weight and all points earned any time between Friday and Monday, and then start in on the new week's challenges. Right now you could post here your current weight (or if you weighed in last Fri-Mon that would be the weight to go with) and start with some of the challenges now even though you won't get the full week. Then when Bron adds you to the spreadsheet you can enter your own numbers. If you read the link above it will help you understand it better. Welcome!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    can i join?

Hi lhawkins! Bronwen is our Head of House. I'm sure when she checks back in she'll be happy to add you to our spreadsheet. Here are the basics about how our House works:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/the-guide-to-being-a-successful-gryffindor-144313

The most recent challenges are posted above on Sunday in this thread by Bronwen, or you can look at her blog. It might seem confusing at first, but it's easy to get the hang of.

You can earn exercise points (both OWLS and House Points), food points, and Common Room sharing points. You can check in with your current weight and all points earned any time between Friday and Monday, and then start in on the new week's challenges. Right now you could post here your current weight (or if you weighed in last Fri-Mon that would be the weight to go with) and start with some of the challenges now even though you won't get the full week. Then when Bron adds you to the spreadsheet you can enter your own numbers. If you read the link above it will help you understand it better. Welcome!

Hi and thanks!

When I weighed in last Friday I was 274.4 pounds.

Thanks!

Lauren
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hello Gryffindors!!!!! Collett is back! and now all of you are thinking who is this Collett person I don't remember her...... well when I was participating the first time I wasn't really participating...... I would like you all to know though that I am a new person as in new bc and the depression is gone!!!! at least for now we'll see what happens.

Rock on!!!! Collett out!

(yep i'm weird get over it) :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    can i join?

Hi and thanks!

When I weighed in last Friday I was 274.4 pounds.

Thanks!

Lauren

Welcome Lauren! And thanks, veganbaum, for picking up my slack there!

All of that is completely correct, if you have any questions just ask. I added your name to the spreadsheet and entered your starting weight for you. You can enter your weigh in this week starting tomorrow, easy peasy!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    Hello Gryffindors!!!!! Collett is back! and now all of you are thinking who is this Collett person I don't remember her...... well when I was participating the first time I wasn't really participating...... I would like you all to know though that I am a new person as in new bc and the depression is gone!!!! at least for now we'll see what happens.

Rock on!!!! Collett out!

(yep i'm weird get over it) :)

This is SO happy to hear! I'm glad to have you back with us full force!

And I love all of my weird Gryffs. I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • Letty_c
    Options
    HEY quick spew question..... is it just for the common room? Or for the other message boards too? just curious!!!

I am going to go dance away the pounds doing zumba!!!!! I love zumba!!!!

Hope every one else is doing awesome and having a great day!!!!!

hugz
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    HEY quick spew question..... is it just for the common room? Or for the other message boards too? just curious!!!

hugz

Just the Common Room! Have fun!
  • Letty_c
    Options

hugz

Just the Common Room! Have fun!

Thanks and I did have fun!!!! Although about halfway through I felt like I was going to die.... and felt like I had just jumped into a pool..... in case you wanted to know all that info :)
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Where have we all been?! I think we need to have some extra Quidditch practices. I expect to see everyone out at first light! No groaning.
  • Honeybee511
    Honeybee511 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just checked in on the board. :grumble: I gained a pound. I am getting really frustrated with my weight loss. Maybe because I haven't had a loss in forever! It's awful! I know it's my fault too, Iove food that is bad for me. I am lucky I like to exercise otrherwise I would be really screwed. This week I am making a promise to myself to resist temptation to eat like crap! :smile:
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    Gryffs, I need your input in this thread. Not all of us at Hogwarts are as organized as we are, and I want to hear your ideas to reorganize a bit:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/528213-weekly-challenges-and-results

Thanks in advance, loves!
  • Letty_c
    Options
    I have an appointment with the obgyn on thursday and hopefully I will be told then if I have pcos or not although I'm pretty sure I do, but it would be nice to be told yes you do.

Hope everybody is well and having a grand day!!!!!!

Party on!!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    119lb smack on target weight. That's an increase on last week, I've upped my intake, but am not panicking yet because TOM is affecting the figures!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    I do admit I've been eating badly on a few days lately, I'll see what I weigh next week and adjust my maintenance calories after that. :smile:
  • veganbaum
    Options
    119lb smack on target weight. That's an increase on last week, I've upped my intake, but am not panicking yet because TOM is affecting the figures!

Cycle time for me, too. Up half a pound from last week, so we'll see what happens next week and what my actual weight is without all the bloat. Hopefully it will be down from last week!
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I do admit I've been eating badly on a few days lately, I'll see what I weigh next week and adjust my maintenance calories after that. :smile:

I'll be so happy to get to maintenance someday! Hoping to see the scale continue downwards since it stagnated for so long. You've been maintaining for a bit, haven't you? Seems like you've been pretty successful so far.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    WEEK 4:
    (Starting after check-in between 3/16-3/19
    and ending with check-in between 3/23-3/26)

OWL (exercise): Harry Potter Workout Game!

There will be a novice version and an expert version. You can pick what fits you best at the time. They will have the same things to look for, but one will have more difficult exercises to do.

You can split it up and watch a little at a time during the week, watch it all at once and make tally marks (then split those exercises up during the week), or watch it AND do the exercises all at once. Whatever works for you. You could also read the book and look for the same things if that's more convenient for you.

Beginner: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/309920_616472703393_179201885_32492010_1657789229_n.jpg 309920_616472703393_179201885_32492010_1657789229_n.jpg

Advanced: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/405091_616472683433_179201885_32492009_1020734573_n.jpg 405091_616472683433_179201885_32492009_1020734573_n.jpg

[If you need them, here are the links to the advanced exercises:]

Burpees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQx1FiQt50

Windsheild Wipers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttv2c1Bh0Vw

Squat Kicks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSu-wci9uTo

Globe Jumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKKKNR5USXc

You earn 5 OWLs for the week if you complete the whole movie and all the exercises, 3 OWLs if you complete the whole movie but can't complete all the exercises, 1 OWL if you don't complete the movie or the exercises, and 0 OWLs if you don't start either.

NEWT (food): Calorie Goals! Try to stay between 100 cals under and 100 cals over your daily goal every day this week. If you have a hard time with under eating, experiment with eating up to 100 cals below your MFP goal. If you struggle with over eating, challenge yourself to make it no more than 100 cals over your MFP goal.

5 NEWTs for every day you're withing this range. 35 NEWTs possible for the week.

SPEW: Earn 1 point every time you post something encouraging or motivating or how your day is going in the Common Room (ANYTHING BUT A CHECK-IN POST COUNTS TOWARD YOUR SPEWs).
    Up to 5 points possible per day, 35 points possible for the week.

***Remember to double check the dates for this challenge! Don't start early and lessen your progress for the current week!
  • TourThePast
    Options

I'll be so happy to get to maintenance someday! Hoping to see the scale continue downwards since it stagnated for so long. You've been maintaining for a bit, haven't you? Seems like you've been pretty successful so far.
    You're right, I should stop being so negative and tell myself I'm still at my target weight, it's just scary to see the scale go back up!

I ate at a deficit for a month after Christmas and deliberately lost an extra 2lb before spending February in Canada, and I've put that back on, somehow I thought I'd lose it again. Crazy to think that way when on average I'm not eating at a deficit!

Being at maintenance does take the pressure off, you'll find out soon for yourself, you're well over halfway and losing again, which is wonderful! :smile:
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! So I decided to try and experiment with my usual porridge that I have for breakfast EVERY morning!! I love it, but just felt I needed to shake things up a bit! So I found this simple recipe and it turned out really good (execpt I forgot to put in the sugar! Still nice though)...so I wanted to share it :)

50g Porridge Oats
    1 banana
    1tsp demerara sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    100ml low fat milk (extra if needed)
    heaped spoonful of natural yogurt (I used vanilla)

Mix the oats, sugar, cinnamon, milk and have the sliced banana in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer to your liking. Serve with the remaining sliced banana and the yogurt (can add other fruit here also such as strawberries)

Enjoy :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    Options
    Thanks for the replies some of you left about our latest Head of House situation. I'm working out the kinks with the other Houses, but I think it's time for me to let go of the reigns a bit and set a plan in place for when I need some extra help.

Is anyone willing AND able to be my Deputy Head of House? It would mostly be posting challenges and calculating results, possibly collecting results from other Houses ONLY when I couldn't.

I know you all would be great, but it's up to you if you'd like to volunteer to be 'on call.'