TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• nniimmcckk
    nniimmcckk Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Nicky,

Any activity counts ;) We just recommend lifting weights because it's the best way to change body composition. But doctor's orders are doctor's orders. Safety first. :flowerforyou:

Kiki

Thanks Kiki, I'm just looking for any voice to tell me to work hard in the gym and I'll do it! am finding it a tad frustrating! The thing is the more I work out, the stronger my core will get and hopefully the problem will resolve. But little steps.....

It was nice eating sort of "normally" today. Thanks for sharing all this info xx
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • wendiford
    Options
    Bump
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wow! I FINALLY understand. After MONTHS of confusion, the light bulb has come on. Thank you so much for this post!
  • ktbazzy
    ktbazzy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is eye opening! I discovered after starting to log here that I've been starving myself (eating between 900 & 1200, then binging on occasion) and my metabolism is ALL screwed up. I did a program called Slimgenics which restricted calories to the extreme. When I finished the program I was down 30lbs. but started gaining back. So I continued to restrict calories, thinking that would help. I started MFP at 155.8, been on for 5 weeks, and have been see-sawing between 148-151 ever since. MFP set my cals at 1200. My TDEE is 1931 - 15% is 1640! I'm trying to figure out how to eat more, but am struggling with what to eat and fear of gaining. I've been lifting but not heavy because of a neck injury 2x week, waiting for clearance to lift more, and light cardio 3-4x week. Anyone else in this situation please add me!
  • Figment14300
    Options
    Bump :happy:
  • jhonbaez
    jhonbaez Posts: 2
    Options
    I love it. I can eat all I want and lose weight. I think is amazing... :)
    :drinker: to it... lol
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I fail at any type of math, (dyslexic)

I didn't understand any of this lol!

anyone care to help me please?

my Tdee is - 2941
    BMR is - 3201

I'm 249lbs, 5ft 8 age 33 years.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Something has gone wrong there. Your BMR can't be above your TDEE.
    Use these calculators.
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

This is for TDEE and you can find BMR in the side menu.
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    My TDEE is 1571 and BMR is 1315
    If I subtract 15% from TDEE = 1336 calories on non-workout days
    If I lift weights add 200 = 1515 calories
    If I do cardio eat back the calories I burn plus eat my BMR which is 1315, so if I burn 500 cardio cals, I eat 1800 calories.

If this correct. Eating 1300 calories on non-workout days seems very low.

Currently I work out 5-6 times a week, burn about 500 cals a workout, so if MFP gave me 1200 cals, I add 500 to get 1700 calories, which I can live with, but to only eat 1300 on the 1 or 2 days that I don't workout, seems low.

I'm new and don't really understand MFP yet and how they determine by numbers.

Can you sort if out for me.

I'm 32 yrs old, weigh 121.6lbs, 5.0 feet tall and have a desk job, however, very active in my fitness. I do P90X and a Combat classs at the gym once a week, plus I run when the weathers nice or on my treadmill, depending on the mood I'm in, but I work out min 5 days a week. PS. I love WEIGHTS!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 1571 and BMR is 1315
    If I subtract 15% from TDEE = 1336 calories on non-workout days
    If I lift weights add 200 = 1515 calories
    If I do cardio eat back the calories I burn plus eat my BMR which is 1315, so if I burn 500 cardio cals, I eat 1800 calories.

If this correct. Eating 1300 calories on non-workout days seems very low.

Currently I work out 5-6 times a week, burn about 500 cals a workout, so if MFP gave me 1200 cals, I add 500 to get 1700 calories, which I can live with, but to only eat 1300 on the 1 or 2 days that I don't workout, seems low.

I'm new and don't really understand MFP yet and how they determine by numbers.

Can you sort if out for me.

I'm 32 yrs old, weigh 121.6lbs, 5.0 feet tall and have a desk job, however, very active in my fitness. I do P90X and a Combat classs at the gym once a week, plus I run when the weathers nice or on my treadmill, depending on the mood I'm in, but I work out min 5 days a week. PS. I love WEIGHTS!!

Sounds like you need to use the moderate activity level which means your TDEE is 2038 and 15% from that is 1733. You would eat that daily and only start to eat back if you burn more than about 400 cals. That is so you at least net your BMR. I will tell you some days if I am still hungry I will net closer to my cut value than BMR...
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I fail at any type of math, (dyslexic)

I didn't understand any of this lol!

anyone care to help me please?

my Tdee is - 2941
    BMR is - 3201

I'm 249lbs, 5ft 8 age 33 years.

Your BMR is 1897 and TDEE is 2941
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    Ok so daily I eat 1700 calories, if I workout and burn more than 400 I should eat back those 400 calories for a total of 2100.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ok so daily I eat 1700 calories, if I workout and burn more than 400 I should eat back those 400 calories for a total of 2100.

Yep, that's right ;)
  • NiceTee75
    NiceTee75 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just calculated my TDEE and it says 2626. Sooooo my question is, how much of that am I suppose to eat a day? I thought I was doing something upping my calories to 1800 but apparently that wasn't enough!!! When am I going to have time to eat all this food!!!!!!!!!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I just calculated my TDEE and it says 2626. Sooooo my question is, how much of that am I suppose to eat a day? I thought I was doing something upping my calories to 1800 but apparently that wasn't enough!!! When am I going to have time to eat all this food!!!!!!!!!

LOL. Your body will quickly adjust ;)

If your TDEE is 2626 then you will start by reducing that amount by 15% for your "cut" numbers

So 2232 would be your cal level (including exercise cals up to 394)
  • tanyaleblanc
    Options
    QUOTE:

So 2232 would be your cal level (including exercise cals up to 394)

What does this sentence mean, should be eat back those 394 calories if she burns them exercising, what if she burns more than 394?
  • lvondy
    lvondy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Okay I got 2201 as my TDEE and 1607.23 as my BMR sooooo now what ? LOL I read the thread but I'm not so sure what to do with these numbers. Am I supposed to eat my BMR?

You subtract 15% from the TDEE which is 1870

So I would suggest you bump up your cals to 1800 on NONWORKOUT days
    on workout days if you just lift then add 200

If you do cardio then make sure you are eating back enough calories to at least hit your BMR as your net cals...MINIMUM

I'm new to the group so I'm sorry if this has been covered before. I'm one of those that has been eating way too low so I am trying to figure it all out.

My BMR is 1431 and my TDEE (with working out 3-5 days) is 2218. So according to the above info I should be eating around 1774 on non-workout days. (subtracted 20%)
    On workout days I like doing interval training with cardio and strength so I should then eat how many calories?
    Even if I have factored my working out in to my TDEE?

Thanks you so much for this! I have been so overwhelmed with all the information and you have made it so easy to understand! =)

ETA: I have a HRM on the way so I can tell how many calories I am burning. Right now I am just using the MFP estimate which is about 250 for 30 min.

I think I understand now. If I workout and I burn 250 calories and I subtract that from my calorie goal of 1774 then that would be 1524 and since that is over my BMR then I should be ok. If I burn enough calories to where I subtract them from my goal and that puts me under my BMR then I should eat back some of those calories?
  • lvondy
    lvondy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, please ignore my above post. I just found your other post on the next step after finding your BMR and TDEE! Thanks so much!
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just too late to be reading this to try and figure things out or I just don't get it! LOL

Using the calculator my TDEE is 2047 and my BMR according to MFP is 1391.

If I cut 15% from my TDEE it's 1739 so on non-work out days I would eat 1700? When I work out (currently doing 30 day shred) I'm burning around 225 - 240 calories so on those days I should aim for 1900?

Holy crapple - I've been going by MFP and eating so that my net calories equal my goal calories. How do I change my details to fit this in?

Hope no-one minds me asking all these questions!! I'm so tired of yo-yo-ing and want to do this right so that I burn fat, gain muscle and feel good instead of just losing weight if you know what I mean :)