Stage 1

Options

Replies

• mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Workout 6A today:
    Squats: 125. I was dying to get to 130, but 125 was pretty tough today.
    Pushups: put my feet on a weight bench and lifted one leg up. Dare I say I"m liking pushups these days?
    Seated Rows: 110 lbs. I thought my arms were going to be yanked from the sockets at rep 7, but finished them.
    Step ups: 100 lbs. I've been doing these in the squat rack and stepping up on a plyo box. Only 12 inches, but I really wanted to get to the 100 mark today.
    Jackknifes: Doing these like pikes now. I don't mind them either. :)

I hope I can get up to numbers like yours!!

Finished Stage 1 (similar to stage 6) with...
    Squats: 105
    Pushups: with feet up on bench starting in stage 2 workout A1
    Seated Rows: 80 lbs
    Step Ups: 40 lbs
    Deadlifts: 100 lbs
    Lunges: 60 lbs
    Wide grip lat pull down: 80 lbs
    dumbbell shoulder press: 50 lbs
    Seated row: 80 lbs

Started Stage 2 this week!:
    A:
    Front Squat/Push-press: 45 lbs (could only do 8 reps at 55lbs)
    Step - up: 50 lbs
    Dumbbell one-point row: 50 lbs
    Static Lunge, rear foot elevated: 70 lbs
    Pushups - with feet on bleachers
    Horizontal Wood Chops: 35 lbs
    B: (today's workout)
    Wide Grip Dead Lift from Box: 90lbs
    Bulgarian split squat: 25 lbs (could probably do more, upping next time although it said light weights in description)
    Underhand grip lat pulldown: 80lbs
    Reverse Lunge: 25 lbs
    Dumbbell Prone Cuban Snatch: 20 lbs

Did anyone else who's done stage 2 had a really hard time with the cuban snatches? It was hilarious - I felt like I was trying to use a muscle that didn't exist!! hahah I felt silly only using a 10lb-er in each hand when I'm used to lifting so much more!! Could hardly do 10lbs!

Note, things where you're holding a dumbbell in each hand (lunges, snatch, etc) the weight I report is the combined weight of the two dumbbells I'm holding.

Everyone is doing so great! :) Love this!

Well, shoot. It looks like my version of pushups and lunges is like the Stage 2 version. Awesome numbers, girl!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Well, shoot. It looks like my version of pushups and lunges is like the Stage 2 version. Awesome numbers, girl!

Thank you!! I am pretty sure most of the stages repeat themselves so I'm sure the versions pop back up later :)
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Completed 2A yesterday and looking forward to 2B tomorrow :bigsmile:
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am new to this group, I have lifted before on a home weights machine, but not free weights :(

I started doing stage 1 week 3 have another to do tomorrow.

But not sure if I am leafting heavy enough? (also in KGS here so will convert to pounds for you)

Deadlift with dumbbells ( have to get a barbell, maybe for mothers day?) 15.5 pounds each dumbbell = 31 pounds
    Shoulder press as above weight
    Wide grip lat pull down - 88 pounds
    Lunge 15.5 each = 31 pounds
    swiss ball crunch - body weight

Am I lifting heavy enough??

Also are you eating TDEE-15% or as it says in the book 1.2 for non lift days and 1.4 for lift days?

Many thanks
    Alli
  • nickm21
    Options
    Hi all,

I am new to this group, I have lifted before on a home weights machine, but not free weights :(

But not sure if I am leafting heavy enough? (also in KGS here so will convert to pounds for you)

Deadlift with dumbbells ( have to get a barbell, maybe for mothers day?) 15.5 pounds each dumbbell = 31 pounds

Also are you eating TDEE-15% or as it says in the book 1.2 for non lift days and 1.4 for lift days?

Many thanks
    Alli

Hi Alli,
    only you can say if you are lifting heavy enough. If you are tired at the end of each set and struggling through the last couple of reps, then yes. If not up the weight but stay aware of good form.
    Sorry can't help with the food as I'm trying to get that in order myself, book has me on 2084 cal on non-lifting days and 2481 on lifting days (with 300 deficit) and I'm struggling to eat anywhere near that (and worried about weight gain)
  • nickm21
    Options
    Completed B2 today, managed to increase on the deadlifts and think I could go higher, especially with the drop in reps. I do think I will feel it tomorrow though, already feeling tight in some of the muscles.
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Today I will be doing workout 6B!! I am so excited only 5 more workouts in this stage plus the AMRAP!! I am now seeing definition in my arms and loving it! When I started this program my wt was 148.2 with a BF% of 25.3 (fit2fat radio's military body fat calculator is how I estimate my bf%) and today I weighed in at 148 and my bf% was 20.1! I have lost a total of 7.25 inches over these measurements: Neck,Waist,Hips,RArm,Rthigh!! I am super excited to be finishing stage 1 and ready to move on to stage 2!!
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Today I will be doing workout 6B!! I am so excited only 5 more workouts in this stage plus the AMRAP!! I am now seeing definition in my arms and loving it! When I started this program my wt was 148.2 with a BF% of 25.3 (fit2fat radio's military body fat calculator is how I estimate my bf%) and today I weighed in at 148 and my bf% was 20.1! I have lost a total of 7.25 inches over these measurements: Neck,Waist,Hips,RArm,Rthigh!! I am super excited to be finishing stage 1 and ready to move on to stage 2!!

OMG! Those are some great results! Congrats!
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Nice!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Many thanks
    Alli

Hi Alli,
    only you can say if you are lifting heavy enough. If you are tired at the end of each set and struggling through the last couple of reps, then yes. If not up the weight but stay aware of good form.
    Sorry can't help with the food as I'm trying to get that in order myself, book has me on 2084 cal on non-lifting days and 2481 on lifting days (with 300 deficit) and I'm struggling to eat anywhere near that (and worried about weight gain)

I eat about 1800 on nonlift days and around 2000 on lift days. At first, when I upped from 1200, it was hard to eat them but now, I'm still not 100% full. I do NOT have an issue at all -- and yes, the small voice in the back of my mind is screaming in a terrified voice about weight gain. But, I've switched something things. Instead of eating the lowest possible calorie of a certain food (milk, yogurt, etc), I choose the middle of the road version. Plus, things like peanut butter aren't totally off limits. I usually have 2 table spoons with an apple which is almost 3 hundred calories. On a 1200/day diet, that'd be a forth of my daily limit gone.

I did order a fitbit to give my mind some peace. If I KNOW I'm buring let's say 2,600 calories a day and I'm eating 2,100, I KNOW I'm burning a lb of fat a week and I can stop being so scared :).
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Just did 6B and realized on the last set that I should have been doing 3 sets for the last 4 workouts!!!
    I was still doing 2 sets :mad:

Grrrrrrr

That's ok. Workouts 7 & 8 will be 3 sets each and I will stay at the same weights for the first 2 sets and try to up them for the third set. Better late than never.
    I'm expecting next week to kick my *kitten*!

BTW, I gained 3-5 pounds within 2 weeks of starting the program and this week it suddenly dropped back down to my starting weight. AWESOME. I can't be ruled by the scale but it does provide a bit of evidence about water weight and the shock to my muscles. I'm expecting similar results when I change the routine... maybe even when I add sets next week.

I think I'm finding a good number of calories for me right now. I'm aiming for 1800 net on non-lifting days and 2000 net on lifting days right now. I've managed to eat close to 120g of protein every day for the past several days and I think that's making a huge difference for me.

How are you all doing?
  • katlynx6
    katlynx6 Posts: 68
    Options
    Wow everyone's numbers are so amazing!

@season1980 that's great news about the bf%!
    @forlife12 I gained 2-3 pounds as well but now I seem to be back down too! Yay for that!

I'm officially halfway through Stage 1 and I've definitely gotten stronger! I also *think* I see changes too but maybe its wishful thinking haha. Either way I'm happy!

I've been doing the workouts at home since I have the equipment there and to be honest I'm still intimidated by the weight room at the gym. Well, not the weight room specificially, but the barbell. It's so bizarre, and silly, but I just haven't gotten up the guts to do the squats and deadlifts at the gym. I'm hoping I'll get over it soon. I hate admitting it, but I'll go to the gym confident, ready to tackle the barbell, so sure of myself!.... and then I see that it's packed with guys and I lose my nerve :ohwell:

Hope everyone is well!
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Katlynx6:
    I was at the gym today and there weren't very many people there but I was the only woman using weights today. Often there are 1 or 2 others. Don't let the boys scare you away. Just do your thing, ask for help from someone who works there if you need it.

Today was "classic" though, two guys who are always joined at the hip doing weights were doing squats. They are HUGE in the upper body but not so much on the lower I think because their squats were hardly moving. Not getting their quads down far enough for sure - no where near as low as I do mine and I took weight off mine so I can get lower.
    Then the guy next to me was using a huge dumbbell and doing arm curls. He was MORE than grunting out the reps - there were caveman noises over there.
    Those are the times when it's hard not to laugh :)

Then there's me... not huge weights but still lifting as heavy as I can with good form. But I zoom between machines and get through that workout with only the amount of rest as is suggested in NROLFW!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just did 2B today:

Deadlift - with olympic Bar & 2 10lbs weights = 65lbs.
    Shoulder press - 18lbs weights per hand
    Wide grip lat pull down - 75 pounds
    Lunge 10 each = 18 lbs first set, then BW after as my thigh is strained.
    swiss ball crunch - 10lb plate
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks nickm21 and jnh17, you have put my mind at ease.

I am lifting heavy the last few are a "you can do it " and as to the calories, I just order the bodymedia to see what I'm burning, it just came yesterday, so today will me the first day of wearing it :)

Thanks girls, good luck everyone have a great day!
    Alli
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Finished B3 today and was able to increase the weight on everything, including the dead lifts! Thanks to those that posted the links to the "how to" videos. They really helped. One other thing that I did that helped was to use the aerobic step risers to raise the bar. Because I'm using lighter weights the bar wasn't high enough. I couldn't even get my feet under it much less start with proper form.

I'm really loving this program and can't wait until I start seeing some results!
  • mstawnya
    Options
    Everyone in the weight area has been really friendly. Of course, I'm at the Y and generally there in the morning so it's mostly a middle aged crowd. I had to lift yesterday afternoon since I had other morning commitments and there was a high school kid flexing and then popping a pimple int he mirror-gross!

Did 6B and tried to go up on my deadlift weight, but sucked all around.

Deadlifts-135 felt okay, tried to go to 140 and could only get 8 done and they all felt awful. Did one last set with 135, but then I was disappointed in myself and had a bad attitude for the rest of the workout.

Shoulder Press-I do these with 25 lb. dumbbells. I'm not quite ready to move up in weight, but where do I go from there? The next size is 30 lbs. and there's no way I can leap up 10 lbs. at a time.

Lat pull down- I struggle with my grip on these. I switched out the bar to one with handles, not to hang on to, but to press the edge of my hand against for more support. Made it to 105 lbs. but that was all I could take.

Lunge-I do these wrong. I do static lunges, one side at a time with my opposite leg on the weight rack with 30 lb. dumbbells in each hand. My balance is so bad but I feel them better in my legs this way. I think these come up in Stage 2, right?

Swiss Ball-doing these with a 70 lb. dumbbell across my chest. It's so funny because I can hardly lift the thing with my hands, but am fine once it's in position.
  • dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Options
    Hi All,
    I am in stage 1 too and love the support you are giving each other. I have a quick question about deadlifts. Does anyone use the grip with one hand over and the other under? I feel like, even with 55lbs. that the bar will slip if I just do both hands over. I just thought you all might have some input, since many of you are deadlifting much more than this.
  • mstawnya
    Options
    Hi All,
    I am in stage 1 too and love the support you are giving each other. I have a quick question about deadlifts. Does anyone use the grip with one hand over and the other under? I feel like, even with 55lbs. that the bar will slip if I just do both hands over. I just thought you all might have some input, since many of you are deadlifting much more than this.

Yes! There are a couple of veteran women lifters at the Y and I noticed they both do this too. I asked one about it and she said her trainer recommended it to help with her grip. Just make sure to switch it up for each set.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

CAUTION: I have never lifted a day in my life until now, so please excuse my ignorance if I come off like I don't have a clue, it's because I really don't :blushing:

I often hear about girls using "Barbie weights" and was curious if I might fall into this category? I just did stage 1, workout 6B on Friday, and here are my numbers:

Squats: 95 lbs including bar
    Shoulder press: 15 lbs per side (30 lbs total)
    Lat pull downs: 60 lbs
    Step ups: 15 lb db per side (30 lbs total)
    Jackknife: proficient

Dead lifts: 105 lbs including bar
    Push ups: 45 degree
    Seated row: 60 lbs
    Lunges: 15 lb db per side (30 lbs total)
    Crunches: 25 lb weight on chest

Am I doing OK, or do I need to work harder? Please be honest as I am new to lifting and don't know what to expect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!