Stage 1

Options

Replies

• worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well ladies. I completed A4 last night. I'm sufficiently sore this morning. (Love that feeling. Makes me feel like I'm working hard.) One question before moving to A5. If the workout was to stay the same with 2 sets and 12 reps I would go up in weight. However, with adding that extra set, I'm more inclined to stay where I am. What is suggested?

I didn't see the instructions to move to 3 sets until I got to 7A (this week!).
    My strategy was to keep it the same for the first one or two sets and increase for the rest - it worked today!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ok. Starting my 3A tomorrow. I'm not new to lifting so i am really pushing myself. I am posting to keep myself real. Thus far,

A (per set)
    Squats- 65lbs
    Push up - 15 FBW on toes, one set modified 'girl'
    Seated row - 45 lbs
    Step ups - 40lbs
    Prone jack - 15 FBW

B (per set)
    Deadlift - 50lbs
    Dumbell Shoulders - 40lbs
    Wide Grip Pull Down - 95lbs
    Lunge - 40 pds
    Swiss ball crunch - 20 reps

Working hard on my squat form (watching videos and dh to spot me) and getting all my push ups to be 'real ones'.
    Thus far, loving this!

I am doing some sort of 'run' for my warm up (either 1 mile on treadmill as fast as I can) or doing an outside run. Need to focus on getting my runs done of my 'off days'. Doing 3 day a week lifting. 3 day a week running.
  • SweetPea482
    SweetPea482 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Im just finished A8 yesterday (im doin the extended version, so i have 6 workouts left)

Im sorry if this has already been touched on but has anyone found that when doing the deadlifts, you get to a point when the wieght is too much for you arms to hold even though your legs can handle the deadlift.

What do i do? Should i stick it out at the weight I'm on until i can conquer it without my elbow going up in flames?

or am i just doing something completely wrong?
  • katlynx6
    katlynx6 Posts: 68
    Options
    Well ladies. I completed A4 last night. I'm sufficiently sore this morning. (Love that feeling. Makes me feel like I'm working hard.) One question before moving to A5. If the workout was to stay the same with 2 sets and 12 reps I would go up in weight. However, with adding that extra set, I'm more inclined to stay where I am. What is suggested?

We're at very close to the same place! I did my A5 workout last night. I either stayed at the same weight or went up, but only by a very little amount, and only if I had indicated on my log that I thought I would be able to add weight next time. The third set really kicked my butt so I'm glad I didn't go up in weight too much!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Im just finished A8 yesterday (im doin the extended version, so i have 6 workouts left)

Im sorry if this has already been touched on but has anyone found that when doing the deadlifts, you get to a point when the wieght is too much for you arms to hold even though your legs can handle the deadlift.

What do i do? Should i stick it out at the weight I'm on until i can conquer it without my elbow going up in flames?

or am i just doing something completely wrong?

I've been doing a reverse grip to do my deadlifts (one hand facing forward and one hand facing backward). I switch positions after each set. There are some other women lifters at my YMCA who do that and it feels more secure doing it that way. Good luck!
  • amyrobynne
    amyrobynne Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I accidentally delayed adding the extra set until A7 and that worked well for me. I felt like I was barely able to increase weights in rounds 5 and 6 and adding a third set would have meant it was too hard. I felt better by A7 and having it drop to 8 reps helped too. One thing I've done to deal with the 3rd set is to let myself drop the weight by 10 lbs, or to the next dumbbell, for the 3rd set. That lets me up the first two but stick with the previous weight for the last set, which usually feels pretty doable. Now that I'm on A8, I'm trying to keep the weight steady for all three sets, but if 6 reps is all I can manage, I don't beat myself up.

I hit a wall between 5B and 6A and took a week off between them. My hands and wrists were sore all the time and I was scared to go to 3 sets. Now I'm lifting more likely every 3rd days instead of every other day and I've been meaning to get some gloves to see whether that will help. I think lifting almost every other day for over a month was wearing me out and I needed a breather.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Completed 2A today. Pretty happy to have purchased some new plates, but I'm going to need a squat rack soon because my squat is more than my arms can press to get the bar onto my shoulders. :( Total downer...

Here are my numbers:

1A was way to easy, so I brought the weight up significantly today and I felt it during, but I'm not having a ton of muscle pain in the day following.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/beckyinma/view/nrolfw-stage-1-workouts-1-2-3-259390
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Completed 3A today and I've graduated too the squat rack and the olympic bar!!:bigsmile: So, So happy it felt like a really great workout today, and really lifted my mood as I'd been feeling low over the last few days. Now the problem is that I don't want to wait until friday to lift again. Next week I'll be lifting 3 days as my kettlebell class is full, so I may not be so enthusiastic.

Loving seeing everyones progress, can't wait for my results at the end of stage 1.
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Finished 8A last night! Here are my results:

Squat: 45 ---> 80

Push up: toes on floor but elbows wide ----> realized elbows should be close to body and have only progressed to bottom rung of smith machine, barely. I still have to move it back up a notch to finish my sets. These are SO tough for me.

Seated Row: 50 ---> 80

Step up: 25lb dumbbells on back of incline press
    > 65 lb barbell onto reebok step with 5 risers

Prone Jackknife: 10 wobbly reps with knees touching ball ----> 8 reps of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=2&feature=plpp_video
  • airplanes00
    airplanes00 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Doing workout 6A today. Want to thank all who posted this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Looking forward to trying this one out, I have been having a hard time making my abs hurt since 1B. I have tried uping my reps and adding weight after weight with the swissball crunches with no luck. I think this will do the trick.

Cant wait to check my measurements after stage 1. I love hearing the stories of people who have lost nothing on the scale but lost inches and body fat, its amazing to see the difference on peoples bodies with no weight loss just fat lose and muscle gain. If anyone has pictures or their stats from finishing up stage one I would love to hear/see them, keeps me motivated. Thanks
  • KariShoe
    KariShoe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear some input from the group on Barbell squats vs. Squat racks. My problem with Barbell squats is that I can only lift the 40lb barbell over my head so that's the max I have been squatting. I bet I could go more but I am scared of the squat rack - I just finished 7A today - not sure if any of the other stages have squats so may just keep doing what I'm doing :) Thoughts?
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...
    I have been sick since Friday, I'm very disappointed, but I guess I needed to time off. I plan on going back to the gym on Friday for A6. I might lower the weight a bit just to make sure I don't relapse.
  • llujan88
    llujan88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been doing my workouts at home but need to go into the gym tonight since I feel I have been short changing myself on the squats and deadlifts. My only problem is that the gym we go to is super crowded in the evenings. Especially now that summer is around the corner. So I don't know if the equipment I need to use will be available when I need it. I may not be able to alternate by sets either. I plan on doing A6 this evening. I hope to increase most of my weights tonight even if it's only 5lbs.
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    I would love to hear some input from the group on Barbell squats vs. Squat racks. My problem with Barbell squats is that I can only lift the 40lb barbell over my head so that's the max I have been squatting. I bet I could go more but I am scared of the squat rack - I just finished 7A today - not sure if any of the other stages have squats so may just keep doing what I'm doing :) Thoughts?

The squat rack is your friend. You can set it so you can pick the weight up behind you, then set the stoppers so if you get stock, all you have to do is lower the bar to the side stop supports and duck under. if you can, get someone at your gym to show you how to set it up. Once you do this, you will NEVER go back to the bar bells, promise!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I just got back from 1.5 week sickness potential overtraining break and did my first workout. I think.. 4A? I dunno.

I increased my squats 10 lbs from the last week and really felt good.. but wasn't as low as I wanted to be. Really got the last set low and I think I'm going to have to switch shoes because I really feel these pointy-toed running shoes are cramping my style.

I also increased my rows and my step ups.. and my jacknifes are ridiculously pikey. I'm going to really get my toes pointed in them and my legs straight the entire way, and then I will have -mastered- them.

I also thought this was the week when I moved up to 3 sets of 10.. ahahah, oh well. Those stability muscles will catch up some how!

I LOVE NROL4W. Is anyone else extending stage 1? I'm thinking about going for 36 stage 1 workouts. I'm not sure. Maybe I'll get to 8A and think, "ON TO THE NEXT ONE" but who knows!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Update on Squats and Push ups.. how about you?

I ended up going back to the Universal Bar only (45) pounds because my dh said my form was just getting worse. I actually did a few without the bar, just to get my form more correct. Also, put my heels on a couple of free weights on the floor to get a better angle. I think it worked. DH said form was much better. I am going to take that and start over with the good form.

As to push-ups, I did two sets of REAL pushh=ups, 10 each. Super pleased!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I just got back from 1.5 week sickness potential overtraining break and did my first workout. I think.. 4A? I dunno.

I increased my squats 10 lbs from the last week and really felt good.. but wasn't as low as I wanted to be. Really got the last set low and I think I'm going to have to switch shoes because I really feel these pointy-toed running shoes are cramping my style.

I also increased my rows and my step ups.. and my jacknifes are ridiculously pikey. I'm going to really get my toes pointed in them and my legs straight the entire way, and then I will have -mastered- them.

I also thought this was the week when I moved up to 3 sets of 10.. ahahah, oh well. Those stability muscles will catch up some how!

I LOVE NROL4W. Is anyone else extending stage 1? I'm thinking about going for 36 stage 1 workouts. I'm not sure. Maybe I'll get to 8A and think, "ON TO THE NEXT ONE" but who knows!

Personally, I would go to the next stage. I think you will find it a challenge and rewarding. It's tough but I love the DOMS. I know I am working more muscles than previously.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I tried to increase my overhead press to 60 lbs. today and it was a major fail. Why don't they make 27.5 lb. dumbbells? On the plus side, I deadlifted more than I weigh. That felt pretty awesome.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing Stage 1 Cloud!

Today I did 7A. Squats and pushups are still weak but I feel like I'm getting a good understanding of where I can push myself and where to hold back a little.

I did feel today that I would have tried another 10# on my squat if I had a partner - I'm afraid I can't get up going below parallel. No partner available to me during this time and I don't want to buddy with a gym dude (creepy). I also can't afford a private instructor. I guess I'll just keep the weight lower until I feel I'm ready on my own? Any thoughts or anyone have this experience?

I don't have a partner either and like you, would prefer not to ask a random dude for help! I have been using a squat rack and absolutely love it! No random dude needed.
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing Stage 1 Cloud!

Today I did 7A. Squats and pushups are still weak but I feel like I'm getting a good understanding of where I can push myself and where to hold back a little.

I did feel today that I would have tried another 10# on my squat if I had a partner - I'm afraid I can't get up going below parallel. No partner available to me during this time and I don't want to buddy with a gym dude (creepy). I also can't afford a private instructor. I guess I'll just keep the weight lower until I feel I'm ready on my own? Any thoughts or anyone have this experience?

I don't have a partner either and like you, would prefer not to ask a random dude for help! I have been using a squat rack and absolutely love it! No random dude needed.

I didn't really know how to use the squat rack in case I failed but now I just looked into that and I'm feeling more confident already! Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me :laugh:

Off to the gym now to do 7B (no squats today though). Report back later!