TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• MargoPrior
    MargoPrior Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how long has it taken everyone to start seeing results? I'm at the start of week 3 and my weight has just bounced up and down by about 4lbs. but I haven't yet gone over what I weighed when I started.

Some people see results right away, some take 2-3 months. There are many factors that come into play, like how long you ate low cal before, and everyone's metabolism goes at it's own rate. It took me probably 3-4 months or so :noway: , but I did a metabolism reset, and my case is one of the longest ones that I've ever seen, so it's a bit extreme.

But since it's setting you up for the rest of your life, the small amount of time seems like nothing once you're living the life (you'll just have to trust me on that one, but I've NEVER regretted it) :wink:

Yes, I believe it does. I went back and did our numbers again, based on working out 3-5 hours a week. So our numbers look like this:
    My daughter:
    BMR=2074
    TDEE=3214
    TDEE-20%=2571.
    Her workouts are usually 500 to 1000 calorie burns (depending on how long she works out) and from what I understand She would eat 2571 every day unless she works out over 500 calories? (2571-2074=491, rounded up to 500) and if she does, then she would eat back anything over the 500? So on 1000 calorie burn days she would eat (or try to eat) 2571 + 500=3071?

For me I got
    BMR=1630
    TDEE=2527
    TDEE - 20%=2021
    My workouts run around 300-350 calories per burn now, sometimes more on days I feel better. So I eat 2021 every day unless I burn more than 400 calories a day? 2021-1630=391 (rounded up to 400)?

I hope I have it right now? Thanks again! :-)

You got it!

Thank you so very much!! I am happy to say that even in the short time that we have been on this program, we have both lost over 4 inches total (both have lost 2 inches off our hips and bellies) and both are seeing weight loss. Thank you so much for all of your experience, encouragement and hard work to help us get to where we are going!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! :-)
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ok, please confirm I'm doing this correctly:

According to this...

BMR: 1347
    TDEE: 2088

I should eat my TDEE (2088) - 15% = 1775 to lose weight.

I run 4 days a week (3mi on Monday, 5mi on Tuesday, 3mi on Wednesday, and a long 10 or so mi run on Saturday). I walk 3 miles 5 days a weeks as well (1 mi on each of my breaks and 1 on my lunch break with some co-workers). So... I said I was moderately active (3-5 days a week)... or would I choose something more?

Also, I eat 1775 every day whether I run or not and add calories when I'm running to make sure I reach the BMR in my net value on the days I do run? Am I looking at this correctly?

Another question: Is it smart to use the -15% or should I be picking another one? Does it matter? Why would I choose one and not the other?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

According to this...

I run 4 days a week (3mi on Monday, 5mi on Tuesday, 3mi on Wednesday, and a long 10 or so mi run on Saturday). I walk 3 miles 5 days a weeks as well (1 mi on each of my breaks and 1 on my lunch break with some co-workers). So... I said I was moderately active (3-5 days a week)... or would I choose something more?

Also, I eat 1775 every day whether I run or not and add calories when I'm running to make sure I reach the BMR in my net value on the days I do run? Am I looking at this correctly?

Another question: Is it smart to use the -15% or should I be picking another one? Does it matter? Why would I choose one and not the other?

You are the next level up from moderate. If you are consistently having to eat back excess cals to meet BMR because of your burns, then bump up and cut the 15%. We suggest 15% for a small deficit...you want the body fueled, but a small enough cut to burn off some fat while trying to maintain muscle mass at the same time.

Is there any way for you to start adding weights into your regimen? It will help tone your muscles. Cardio is great, but doesn't tone the muscles.
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options

According to this...

You are the next level up from moderate. If you have consistently having to eat back excess cals to meet BMR because of your burns, then bump up and cut the 15%. We suggest 15% for a small deficit...you want the body fueled, but a small enough cut to burn off some fat while trying to maintain muscle mass at the same time.

Is there any way for you to start adding weights into your regimen? It will help tone your muscles. Cardio is great, but doesn't tone the muscles.

I don't own any weights except for a machine similar to a BowFlex...? (or some little 5lbers. :) ) I'm looking to get some heavy weights by the end of June, but until then, does a BowFlex work similarly... is it worth using? I'm confused (and honestly, just need to go and buy NRoLfW). I'm doing a lot of running 'cause I'm training for a 20k in June and the Ragnar 200-mi relay in Sept.

So, I bumped up from moderate to "strenous" the one right above and it puts me at
    TDEE: 2327
    Daily Goal: 1978

That's my net calories??
  • shmach
    shmach Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok, I am going to BUMB to 15% instead of 20% to lean out

So my TDEE -15% is 1997.50. So I will up my calroies to 1990 on non workout days. On workout days I will eat 2190 in calories? Is that right..? It just seems like so much...Also, my projected weight loss on MFP is only .1oz. should I just disregard that?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Ok, I am going to BUMB to 15% instead of 20% to lean out

So my TDEE -15% is 1997.50. So I will up my calroies to 1990 on non workout days. On workout days I will eat 2190 in calories? Is that right..? It just seems like so much...Also, my projected weight loss on MFP is only .1oz. should I just disregard that?

You eat 1990 every day. You only need to eat more IF you burn takes your net calories under BMR. Then you eat just to at least NET BMR.
  • shmach
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Sabra34
    Sabra34 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am soo nervous to try this I have been dieting for about 7 months now having one cheat day aweek where I eat between 3000 to 4000 calories then only eating 900 calories for the rest of the week this has been working for me I was losing 1 kg a week but things sare slowing down. I walk my dog 5 times a week for 30 mind only burning about 100 calories what level would I put myself at when trying to figure out my tdee
    Thanks
  • shmach
    Options
    Ok, this is crazy... I bumbed up my calorie intake to 1990 and this is crazy Im loving it.. and I guess my body is too because I still feel hungry..I am working on eating more protein..but it feels really good!...It seems like my body is just sucking up the food...Has anyone expereienced this?
  • mrsacoulter
    mrsacoulter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I ate three loaded tacos tonight, 5 egg whites, and a greek yogurt parfait (homemade) and I am not stuffed at all! I feel comfy and cozy. :smile:
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    HA!!!! yesterday i went to double (ok triple (ok quadruple)) check my TDEE numbers and it kept coming up really low and i was starting to freak a little until i realized i was putting my height as 65 CENTIMETERS not INCHES.

need coffee asap.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    What an informative thread. So, I've worked out my TDEE as 2270 and my BMR as 1365.

MFP currently gives me a flat 1200 calories and I am hungry on this and losing incredibly slowly (a pound every couple of weeks despite continuing my exercise). I then post my exercise and eat bacl some of these calories.

Having calculated my TDEE and BMR, I now want to change my details on this site. But I can't seem to change the whole thing on my MFP profile in a way that makes sense. I can change the daily calories that I am allowed but then I assume that if I put in the exercise on the site that I then shouldn't log it on the diary or else that will give me a false exercise reading. Am I better to put no exercise on my figures on this site then just log every time I do exercise and eat back those calories, ensuring that overall I am eating no more than 1930 (my TDEE minus 15%)?

Please advise.

Many thanks.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    What an informative thread. So, I've worked out my TDEE as 2270 and my BMR as 1365.

MFP currently gives me a flat 1200 calories and I am hungry on this and losing incredibly slowly (a pound every couple of weeks despite continuing my exercise). I then post my exercise and eat bacl some of these calories.

Having calculated my TDEE and BMR, I now want to change my details on this site. But I can't seem to change the whole thing on my MFP profile in a way that makes sense. I can change the daily calories that I am allowed but then I assume that if I put in the exercise on the site that I then shouldn't log it on the diary or else that will give me a false exercise reading. Am I better to put no exercise on my figures on this site then just log every time I do exercise and eat back those calories, ensuring that overall I am eating no more than 1930 (my TDEE minus 15%)?

Please advise.

Many thanks.

Well, w/ TDEE exercise cals are already figured in, so you don't need to eat them back.

People have found different ways of dealing with it. Some people log exercise minutes, but only put in 1 cal for the burn, so that they don't have to "see" the cals and be tempted to eat them, lol

Others just log, but don't eat them back (that's what I do)

I think it also matters where you are logging from. I log from my phone, so it's very easy to just focus on my "goal" "net" and "Food" eaten categories, and ignore the extra cals MFP gives me for exercise. I think it's harder to do that from the computer because the numbers are all combined...

~Kiki
  • siobhan478
    siobhan478 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've thread through loads of this info and it sort of makes sense, but can I get a little help please.

Here's a bit of background info. Over the last 10 years I have constantly dieted and lost 2 or 3 stone and usually sat between 161 and 196. I'm female and currently 39 years old, last year I had ballooned to 257lb. Due to going back to uni I upped my activity levels and lost 14lb but back in January I decided to make a real effort to lose weight, I was 243lb, I got MFP and a Fitbit and over the last 4 months or so I've dropped to 198lb, but I've been adhering to the MFP standard 1200 cals + eating back most of my exercise cals. However I've been reading the topics on here I'm coming round to the 'eat more to weigh less' way of thinking.

I used the Scooby's workshop calculator mentioned earlier in this thread and it said my BMR is 1833, my TDEE is 2200 and it says my daily calories to lose weight is 1760. But other sites I've looked at give different amounts, one had my BMR at around 1350 (and calculated it by body fat percentage based on measurements) which is massively different and this is where I get a little confused, So based on the info from Scooby's calculator, do I eat 1760 every day, or do I change this if I exercise. I have a bone disease and I have arthritis and all I've been doing so far is cycling and walking and a 1hr circuit class once a week. (I know I need to exercise more for this to work) but can some one tell me based on these numbers what I should eat every day and how much I should change it to if I exercise?

Thanks in advance :)
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    must bump for later! :OD
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's so hard for me to believe that eating 2250 cal a day (with 7.5 hours of moderate exercise a week) could help me lose weight. I've been aiming around 1600 for so long. I believe that I'm putting on weight mainly because of binging on the weekends and eating junk too often. The time I had the most success I was aiming around 1500 and doing mainly cardio, and I was slimmer, but that was univsersity years.

It's so hard to have faith in this, but I hear all of these great testimonials.

Do you have any oppinion on "saving" up callories during the week to binge on the weekend. I assume you're going to say that putting yourself in starvation mode during the week is only doing to work against my binge on the weekend.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    It's so hard for me to believe that eating 2250 cal a day (with 7.5 hours of moderate exercise a week) could help me lose weight. I've been aiming around 1600 for so long. I believe that I'm putting on weight mainly because of binging on the weekends and eating junk too often. The time I had the most success I was aiming around 1500 and doing mainly cardio, and I was slimmer, but that was univsersity years.

It's so hard to have faith in this, but I hear all of these great testimonials.

Do you have any oppinion on "saving" up callories during the week to binge on the weekend. I assume you're going to say that putting yourself in starvation mode during the week is only doing to work against my binge on the weekend.

Consistency is key...especially in the beginning. Just spike one day on your weekend.
  • ChrisNewmark
    Options
    What does you mean when you say "spike one day on the weekend" never heard of that.

I want to have one day a week where I eat out one meal and have a big piece of cake :) and not worry about my calories. (without it turning into a binge)

Any advice/suggestions as to how to incorporate this?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    What does you mean when you say "spike one day on the weekend" never heard of that.

I want to have one day a week where I eat out one meal and have a big piece of cake :) and not worry about my calories. (without it turning into a binge)

Any advice/suggestions as to how to incorporate this?

I would choose one weekend day, usually for me that was sat because it was my highest burn day, and I would not log and just eat. I wouldn't go crazy but, if I went out, I would order and enjoy, and not feel guilty either. So everyday I ate cut and made sure to net bmr and sat was my spike day. The funniest thing, I really didn't tend to eat that much more. When you aren't severely restricted you can incorporate delicacies into your cut day. So I actually got to a point of logging again to make sure I was hitting net bmr on spike days. Just didn't care about ratios except making sure to hit protein.
  • SilverStar18
    SilverStar18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love how there is a group for this! Ive never been one to believe that eating less meaned losing more, but I couldnt believe my eyes when I first joined that soo many people do! Glad that you are doing this, and changing so many people`s lives :). If only we could get to the girls who have ED`s, but I guess that`s a whole different ball game.

I also just started the program from ``New rules of lifting for women`` and am loving it so far. I am 1 month in and am loving the way I look and feel :) Very good program for beginning lifters like myself.