TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great information. I have tried to calculate my TDEE and I don't think I am doing it correctly, I will have to try again. I would really like to get this figured out so I can ensure that I am on the right track to lose my last 15-20 pouds.

Ok, I have calculated my TDEE as 2107 - should eat 1475 on non workout days. Not sure what amount I should be eating on workout days - would it be the 2107.

My numbers are:

44 years old
    4' 11.5" in height - 151.13 cm
    147 in weight - 66.81kg

I normally workout 4-5 days a week, so my activity level would be 1.55. I am currently training for a half marathon, so my workouts are ALL cardio.

Thanks for any advice/tips you can offer.

Hey!

If your TDEE is 2107, and if your trying to lose weight your supposed to set your target at TDEE - 15% - so your target would be 1791 calories.

TDEE is the calories you should eat to maintain weight, so you have to set a cut target, and gathering fro mall the info between 10 and 20% is a good cut target off of your TDEE. This creates the calorie deficit.

Hope this helps!

PS.

My TDEE is 3948, so I try and eat around 3000 (TDEE - 20 ish %) on the days that I work out, and hit my BMR (2544) on days that I dont

Thanks Mike.

So if I am understanding you - on my workout days I should eat the 1791 - non workout days eat at my BMR level with is 1361?

Is that right - sorry if I am being dumb here, but it is so confusing to me for some reason.
    I didn't do any of these calculations during my 50 pounds weight loss - I just ate less and ran. Now I am down to the last 15 or so and I think this is why I am stalled, need to change it up.

I think Lucia and Kiki encourage everyone to eat their cut TDEE everyday, because a deficit is already built in including your exercise for the week.
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    todays figures I have set my diray to bmr and then will eat back exercise cals will not go under bmr or over tdee
    now figures for today are my goal is 1410 food 1555 exercise -416 net 1139 now is this right or do I need to eat more to get net above my bmr
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I think you should be eating atleast your BMR net. If your net is 1139 you need to eat atleast 271 more cals, if your BMR is 1410.
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    thank you it was the net bit that was confusing me lol
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i tried so hard today to eat more cals like i was suggested to... my bmr 1350 and suggested over 1500 to eat a day. i had a hard time today reaching it unless i eat junk to get it up... so far today my numbers were: 1362 food... - 297 exercise = 1065...net: If i eat more i choose high cal foods, not as healthy, etc... all that i had today was very healthy.... its now 8:30pm here. I really don't know what to do?
  • mom24littleones
    Options
    Wow! This is amazing information! First, THANK YOU for all of it!!! Now: can you help me??? :)

SO, I did those calculations and see that my TDEE is 1939 and my BMR is 1411, does that mean I should be eating:

1939 on workout days
    1648 on NON workout days (15% less than TDEE)

I am a little confused about "net calories" and what to do with that BMR number...is that just the minimum amount of calories I should eat? What about that 1360 MFP gave me? Do I just let that go??? AND, does TDEE include all exercise calories, or do I add my exercise calories on TOP of the 1939?

I would love to be able to go and work out more, and I"m not making excuses, but my life starts at 5:30 and ends around 10:30 and is filled with homeschooling my 4 kids, preparing healthy meals, taking them to activities...I try to get out on walks with them, but it is just a season of life where it's very, very hard to do that. So, I don't get "to the gym" or a "real workout" in every week, but, according to MFP "food prep/on your feet" burns about 300 calories a day for me...don't even forget about the daily cleaning I do when I have kids in every room of the house, every hour of the day!!!

My point is, I'm not lazy and I am never sitting around on my butt...ever!! I just can't commit to a workout schedule DURING the school year; we did re join our gym though and I will hope to copy the Summer I had last year: work out 3x a week and pool the rest of the day with the kids :) I am beginning to see, though, that the reason those workouts didn't do what I thought they would is because I was DEFINITELY eating under calories last year...I rarely ate back my exercise points (I tried WW last year to lose 6 pounds...didn't happen even with all the exercise and careful eating) and tried to eat just what was necessary...

If someone could please tell me if what I calculated is correct (the TDEE and BMR) for what I should be eating on work out and non workout days, AND, if I need to eat anything MORE on my workout days...is 1939 enough if I do a kickboxing class that burns around 600 cal? Or would I need more calories?

SUCH great info...I'd love to get a great grasp and FINALLY figure out why all my low calorie, careful, clean (for the most part :)) eating is seeming to make my waist fatter :( So tired of these last 7-10lbs. I've been battleing the last 2 years...

STATS: 5'6-5/7, 147#, 39 years old, standing most of day, work outs 1-2 times a week at gym/ 7 days a week busy at home!!!

Please help a Momma out...I'm ready to be smart, eat right and not starve myself!!!! THANK YOU!!! xoxo
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a stupid question. I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere but do I add the 10% for digestion or not? I have about 30lbs to lose.

thanks for this group!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    i tried so hard today to eat more cals like i was suggested to... my bmr 1350 and suggested over 1500 to eat a day. i had a hard time today reaching it unless i eat junk to get it up... so far today my numbers were: 1362 food... - 297 exercise = 1065...net: If i eat more i choose high cal foods, not as healthy, etc... all that i had today was very healthy.... its now 8:30pm here. I really don't know what to do?

Some healthy options...avocado, peanut butter, nuts. Please fee free to ck out my diary for ideas. Do you have a good proein drink?
  • lin7604
    Options
    no i don't.. i have been thinking of getting protein powder as i really need ot up my protein. I try so hard and max i get is around 70, today 41 grams.... I just have read so many thread on ones that taste terrible and i can't afford to get one and it turn out to be icky.. so i really don't know what to get?

again i have been trying so hard to get my cals up and all i ate was healthy, yogurt, eggs, peas, cherry tomatoes, rice, chicken,goats cheese, carrots, mushrooms, etc and i got to 1302 for food... so hard when you try to stick with very healthy items but can't get up to it especially when you exercise and it brings the number down... i know protein powder will really help get my cals up plus good for me but what kind do i get?
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Wow! This is amazing information! First, THANK YOU for all of it!!! Now: can you help me??? :)

SO, I did those calculations and see that my TDEE is 1939 and my BMR is 1411, does that mean I should be eating:

1939 on workout days
    1648 on NON workout days (15% less than TDEE)

I am a little confused about "net calories" and what to do with that BMR number...is that just the minimum amount of calories I should eat? What about that 1360 MFP gave me? Do I just let that go??? AND, does TDEE include all exercise calories, or do I add my exercise calories on TOP of the 1939?

I would love to be able to go and work out more, and I"m not making excuses, but my life starts at 5:30 and ends around 10:30 and is filled with homeschooling my 4 kids, preparing healthy meals, taking them to activities...I try to get out on walks with them, but it is just a season of life where it's very, very hard to do that. So, I don't get "to the gym" or a "real workout" in every week, but, according to MFP "food prep/on your feet" burns about 300 calories a day for me...don't even forget about the daily cleaning I do when I have kids in every room of the house, every hour of the day!!!

My point is, I'm not lazy and I am never sitting around on my butt...ever!! I just can't commit to a workout schedule DURING the school year; we did re join our gym though and I will hope to copy the Summer I had last year: work out 3x a week and pool the rest of the day with the kids :) I am beginning to see, though, that the reason those workouts didn't do what I thought they would is because I was DEFINITELY eating under calories last year...I rarely ate back my exercise points (I tried WW last year to lose 6 pounds...didn't happen even with all the exercise and careful eating) and tried to eat just what was necessary...

If someone could please tell me if what I calculated is correct (the TDEE and BMR) for what I should be eating on work out and non workout days, AND, if I need to eat anything MORE on my workout days...is 1939 enough if I do a kickboxing class that burns around 600 cal? Or would I need more calories?

SUCH great info...I'd love to get a great grasp and FINALLY figure out why all my low calorie, careful, clean (for the most part :)) eating is seeming to make my waist fatter :( So tired of these last 7-10lbs. I've been battleing the last 2 years...

STATS: 5'6-5/7, 147#, 39 years old, standing most of day, work outs 1-2 times a week at gym/ 7 days a week busy at home!!!

Please help a Momma out...I'm ready to be smart, eat right and not starve myself!!!! THANK YOU!!! xoxo

Hey lady, I think you should use the moderate activity calculator instead and subtract the 15%. Eat that everyday and on high burn days be sure to net your BMR.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    no i don't.. i have been thinking of getting protein powder as i really need ot up my protein. I try so hard and max i get is around 70, today 41 grams.... I just have read so many thread on ones that taste terrible and i can't afford to get one and it turn out to be icky.. so i really don't know what to get?

again i have been trying so hard to get my cals up and all i ate was healthy, yogurt, eggs, peas, cherry tomatoes, rice, chicken,goats cheese, carrots, mushrooms, etc and i got to 1302 for food... so hard when you try to stick with very healthy items but can't get up to it especially when you exercise and it brings the number down... i know protein powder will really help get my cals up plus good for me but what kind do i get?

Jillian Micheals whey is good ad cheap too.
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    I have a stupid question. I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere but do I add the 10% for digestion or not? I have about 30lbs to lose.

thanks for this group!

I didn't add the 10% to mine.
  • laughlovelivedream
    laughlovelivedream Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I am new to the group and like a lot of people- initially scared to up my cals but- I trust you :)

So I calculated my TDEE- 2092

And my BMR is 1534

I calculated my TDEE - 15% = 1778

my questions is this...

1778 is the amount of cals I eat on days I dont work out.

Annnd days that I do work out I eat 2092?

Sorry, I am sure you get tired of answering the same similar questions.

I have tried eating the 1200 cals for months now and I feel no different than before I started MFP. I came across your group as so many people in the forums I have seen recommended it so I thought why not. After seeing your passion for loosing weight the right way, I too want to feel good about myself again and be able to help my mum loose some weight so she can feel good about herself too!

Thanks Emma

P.S You look amazing :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Hey I am new to the group and like a lot of people- initially scared to up my cals but- I trust you :)

So I calculated my TDEE- 2092

And my BMR is 1534

I calculated my TDEE - 15% = 1778

my questions is this...

1778 is the amount of cals I eat on days I dont work out.

Annnd days that I do work out I eat 2092?

Sorry, I am sure you get tired of answering the same similar questions.

I have tried eating the 1200 cals for months now and I feel no different than before I started MFP. I came across your group as so many people in the forums I have seen recommended it so I thought why not. After seeing your passion for loosing weight the right way, I too want to feel good about myself again and be able to help my mum loose some weight so she can feel good about herself too!

Thanks Emma

P.S You look amazing :)

You should recalc your tdee using the moderate act level and take 15% from that and eat it every day. When you workout then only eat more if your burn takes you under net cals of bmr.
  • allybeee
    allybeee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well i completed my first week on my diary with 1900 cals 40/30/30 ratio.

It seems to have worked all the extra protein was difficult to get, i found i had to eat fish (which i hate) to get there, and carbs disappear so fast! Years of low fat eating means im chomping down cashew nuts at the end of the day to try use the fats up lol

Considering i am not able to train, being injured, quite happy i have lost .5lb this week and the fat % went down .1 muscle mass % stayed exactly the same, obviously the protein has helped there!

Now i need to decide whether i need to change something in the diet ratio or cal amounts to see a lb a week or if i just keep it the same and hope once i go to the gym again this will result in a consistent weekly loss.
    I could either take it down a 100 cals a day or maybe try if i can decrease the carbs and up the protein perhaps.

I am determined to ease back into the gym i do not want another injury, it is torture not being able to go. i am just happy i didnt gain! a loss was unexpected! :)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    Well i completed my first week on my diary with 1900 cals 40/30/30 ratio.

It seems to have worked all the extra protein was difficult to get, i found i had to eat fish (which i hate) to get there, and carbs disappear so fast! Years of low fat eating means im chomping down cashew nuts at the end of the day to try use the fats up lol

Considering i am not able to train, being injured, quite happy i have lost .5lb this week and the fat % went down .1 muscle mass % stayed exactly the same, obviously the protein has helped there!

Now i need to decide whether i need to change something in the diet ratio or cal amounts to see a lb a week or if i just keep it the same and hope once i go to the gym again this will result in a consistent weekly loss.
    I could either take it down a 100 cals a day or maybe try if i can decrease the carbs and up the protein perhaps.

I am determined to ease back into the gym i do not want another injury, it is torture not being able to go. i am just happy i didnt gain! a loss was unexpected! :)

I would say hold fast right where you are. Allow the body time to realize and trust you will feed it consistently.
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options

Jillian Michaels protein powder taste amazing!!!! At walmart here in canada,it cost 9.93$
    Soy nuts are 20g proteins for 1/2 cup :) I put it in yogourt or greek yogourt
    I put soy milk in my shakes and quark cheese or greek yogourt to increase the proteins....

Good luck!!
  • lin7604
    Options
    thx, i will grab some next time i am at walmart and give it a try!!! :) thx
  • bevpb
    bevpb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm a newbie to MFP of 3 days. This group has been so helpful.

I discovered that the target calories that MFP suggested 1370 was below my BMR of 1495 and my TDEE less 15% is 1800, so that was an eye opener! So If I change my calorie goal to 1800 on MFP, workout with weights and reduce the cardio I'm ready to go?

I had already changed the carb fat protein thing to 40:30:30.

I'm vegetarian/vegan and following low carb diet so I'm getting into protein powders and good fats.

I'm going to take this slowly, but thanks to everyone for the posts here!