TDEE - What is it and why you should not eat below your BMR

Options

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Wow...there is such a huge gap between what MFP tells me and what I've read here...

I'm 23, 198 pounds, 5f10'.
    I'm a moderate active person, I work out about 4 times a week (dance, trampoline, ultimate frisbee and swimming) and I walk almost every week day for about 2X15 minutes.

From what I've calculate, my BMR is around 1680 and my TDEE is ...2864. In order to lose, I would have to eat about 2400 calories. This seems a HUGE amount of calories !

Is this right ? I don't know how I will eat that much...

Well, due to the fact that MFP doesn't include exercise cals, that appears to makes the gap even larger, lol. Remember that when you figure things out according to your TDEE, exercise cals are included in the calculation, so the cals aren't eaten back unless you are netting below BMR.

For moderately active (around 3-5 hours of exercise/wk,...is that accurate?), I'd calculate you with around 1700 for BMR, 2650 TDEE, and 2250 for TDEE -15% (which is what you'd eat, unless you burn more than the 550 cal burn that is figured in)

If you're working out more than what i mentioned, then your calculations are probably correct and that's the number you should eat. :wink:
    i need help figuring all this out, i am so confused. i rad thought a bit of it but i wasn't going to read though 9 pages,lol sorry....

I have been trying to loose 15-20 lbs since Oct 22nd, my loss has been very slow. When i started out on mfp i was put at the reg 1200 cals a day and was loosing a steady 2.5 lbs a month. Then i found out about my bmr and upped my cals to min net 1350 a day. since then ( a good 2 months) i have slowed down to 1-1.5 lb loss a month. when i am trying to figure out my tdee with the info provided the thing i am confuse don is where to put me on the active scale... the only major work out i do is ripped in 30 5-6 days a week for 30 min. i really am not moving a whole lot the rest of the day. sedentary is little or no exercise which is really me for the most part but since i do that dvd would it make me lightly active? someone told me b/c i did it 5 day s a week i should be moderate but is 30 min a day really moderate? not sure....
    so my stats i figured out so far were bmr of 1351 at my weight of 131 lbs, 5 ft 2 inches, 35 year old. so what should me tdee be? 1621 or 1857? then what do i do with that number? subtract 15-20% of 500 cals?

oh so confused..... i don't know why my loss has been so slow but it sure would be nice after 6 months to be finally at my goal. I never knew it was going to be so hard to loos 15-20lbs.... ( this is the 1st time i have ever had to loose weight and i know nothing about how to do it) my SW was 140, CW 129.8-130.6 GW 125 UGW 120-122 ish.

any suggestions for me ?

Sorry we missed your first post :blushing:

Because you still work out 5-6 days/wk, I would not use the sedentary setting. Lightly active, I'd consider to be about 1-3 hours of exercise each week, and moderately active about 3-5 hours per week, so you could possibly fall right in between the two.

with your stats, I'd figure you at *least* the 1856 TDEE (lightly active), so you'd start with 15% of that. So you'd basically eat around 1580 or so daily for weight loss (which includes exercise cals up to 280.... if you find that you average more than 280 for your daily burns, then you should either eat back enough cals to put you back at your BMR, or recalculate your TDEE using a higher activity level, because you're actually more active than you thought) :wink:

Also, just for reference, we have almost identical stats (same height, weight, close in age), I workout 5 days/wk, and I currently eat 1900 cals to cut...

Hope that answers your question.. :flowerforyou:

~Kiki

no prob and thank you so much. so i should eat 1580 NET? or just set my cals to 1580? just not sure how to log/change this on my home page... do i put 1580 as my daily cals, do i log my exercises still? i do like that on my page it tells me my net, food and goal,etc... easy to figure out what i need to eat daily... so if i am understanding it somewhat i just up my daily cals to 1580 and then do my normal workout which brings me down close to bmr but still above. if i exercise more, eat a bit more to still NET my bmr? is that correct? sorry if i sound so confused, it's b/c i am :)
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Wow...there is such a huge gap between what MFP tells me and what I've read here...

I'm a moderate active person, I work out about 4 times a week (dance, trampoline, ultimate frisbee and swimming) and I walk almost every week day for about 2X15 minutes.

From what I've calculate, my BMR is around 1680 and my TDEE is ...2864. In order to lose, I would have to eat about 2400 calories. This seems a HUGE amount of calories !

Well, due to the fact that MFP doesn't include exercise cals, that appears to makes the gap even larger, lol. Remember that when you figure things out according to your TDEE, exercise cals are included in the calculation, so the cals aren't eaten back unless you are netting below BMR.

For moderately active (around 3-5 hours of exercise/wk,...is that accurate?), I'd calculate you with around 1700 for BMR, 2650 TDEE, and 2250 for TDEE -15% (which is what you'd eat, unless you burn more than the 550 cal burn that is figured in)

If you're working out more than what i mentioned, then your calculations are probably correct and that's the number you should eat. :wink:
    i need help figuring all this out, i am so confused. i rad thought a bit of it but i wasn't going to read though 9 pages,lol sorry....

I have been trying to loose 15-20 lbs since Oct 22nd, my loss has been very slow. When i started out on mfp i was put at the reg 1200 cals a day and was loosing a steady 2.5 lbs a month. Then i found out about my bmr and upped my cals to min net 1350 a day. since then ( a good 2 months) i have slowed down to 1-1.5 lb loss a month. when i am trying to figure out my tdee with the info provided the thing i am confuse don is where to put me on the active scale... the only major work out i do is ripped in 30 5-6 days a week for 30 min. i really am not moving a whole lot the rest of the day. sedentary is little or no exercise which is really me for the most part but since i do that dvd would it make me lightly active? someone told me b/c i did it 5 day s a week i should be moderate but is 30 min a day really moderate? not sure....
    so my stats i figured out so far were bmr of 1351 at my weight of 131 lbs, 5 ft 2 inches, 35 year old. so what should me tdee be? 1621 or 1857? then what do i do with that number? subtract 15-20% of 500 cals?

oh so confused..... i don't know why my loss has been so slow but it sure would be nice after 6 months to be finally at my goal. I never knew it was going to be so hard to loos 15-20lbs.... ( this is the 1st time i have ever had to loose weight and i know nothing about how to do it) my SW was 140, CW 129.8-130.6 GW 125 UGW 120-122 ish.

any suggestions for me ?

Sorry we missed your first post :blushing:

Because you still work out 5-6 days/wk, I would not use the sedentary setting. Lightly active, I'd consider to be about 1-3 hours of exercise each week, and moderately active about 3-5 hours per week, so you could possibly fall right in between the two.

with your stats, I'd figure you at *least* the 1856 TDEE (lightly active), so you'd start with 15% of that. So you'd basically eat around 1580 or so daily for weight loss (which includes exercise cals up to 280.... if you find that you average more than 280 for your daily burns, then you should either eat back enough cals to put you back at your BMR, or recalculate your TDEE using a higher activity level, because you're actually more active than you thought) :wink:

Also, just for reference, we have almost identical stats (same height, weight, close in age), I workout 5 days/wk, and I currently eat 1900 cals to cut...

Hope that answers your question.. :flowerforyou:

~Kiki

no prob and thank you so much. so i should eat 1580 NET? or just set my cals to 1580? just not sure how to log/change this on my home page... do i put 1580 as my daily cals, do i log my exercises still? i do like that on my page it tells me my net, food and goal,etc... easy to figure out what i need to eat daily... so if i am understanding it somewhat i just up my daily cals to 1580 and then do my normal workout which brings me down close to bmr but still above. if i exercise more, eat a bit more to still NET my bmr? is that correct? sorry if i sound so confused, it's b/c i am :)

Yes, you got it. Change your settings by goin to goal, then custom. Keep us posted:-)
  • lin7604
    Options
    LOL sorry... ok, so i NET no less then 1350 ( my bmr) anything above is good and try not to go over 1580.... so for example i haven't exercised today yet and i am at net 1414.... so that's good, right...
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    okkkkkkkk.. well I am on Day 2.. I have normally been eating btwn 900-1150 or so calories. before joining this wonderful group. Sometimes I will hit over 2000(but thats only if i have a cheat day) meaning fatty foods.. Just upped my calories wayyyyyy up to 2150.. ummmm I cannot see how I am going to be able to eat that much!!! yesterday I hit over 1500 and today will probably be the same but I am still under my BMR by maybe a 100 or so calories. I am full as a tick..lol feels like i have been eating all day long.

I have viewed some food diaries to get an idea of foods to eat. I feel as though I am stuffing myself just to get these calories. Any suggestions???
  • lin7604
    Options
    i agree, the thought of me going up to 1580 is a big change too.. right now i seem to do ok with netting 1350 some days like today the only way i got my net to at least 1350 was b/c i had pico and nachos otherwise i would of been real low... now if i would of exercise don top of that and had to eat back those cals,, man i hate to think where my numbers would be today ....
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    LOL sorry... ok, so i NET no less then 1350 ( my bmr) anything above is good and try not to go over 1580.... so for example i haven't exercised today yet and i am at net 1414.... so that's good, right...

Yes. On days you dont' work out you still eat 1580 ...ok....don't skimp in that:-)
  • lin7604
    Options
    really 1580 on days i don't workout.. so the days i do work out, do i eat more then 1580 ? not sure about if i still log my exercise as mfp will add those cals back to eat..... so that is where i am still confused, just goal of 1580 daily and not log my exercises or NET 1580 daily? once again i'm so sorry....
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    okkkkkkkk.. well I am on Day 2.. I have normally been eating btwn 900-1150 or so calories. before joining this wonderful group. Sometimes I will hit over 2000(but thats only if i have a cheat day) meaning fatty foods.. Just upped my calories wayyyyyy up to 2150.. ummmm I cannot see how I am going to be able to eat that much!!! yesterday I hit over 1500 and today will probably be the same but I am still under my BMR by maybe a 100 or so calories. I am full as a tick..lol feels like i have been eating all day long.

I have viewed some food diaries to get an idea of foods to eat. I feel as though I am stuffing myself just to get these calories. Any suggestions???

LOL so been there and now my cut just doesn't hold me at tims...lol

Right now go for calorie dense foods...nuts, nut butters, get a good protein drink. Eat six small meals and soon your body will remind you wen you slip past meal time. Girl I used to ea nuts all the time since high in cals...now I don't touch them cause I can eat volumes of food no problem. It gets so much easier. What your macros...40/30/30 and try hard to get in 1gr prot pr lb of bodywgt even if it takes you over your 30% macro.
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Right now go for calorie dense foods...nuts, nut butters, get a good protein drink. Eat six small meals and soon your body will remind you wen you slip past meal time. Girl I used to ea nuts all the time since high in cals...now I don't touch them cause I can eat volumes of food no problem. It gets so much easier. What your macros...40/30/30 and try hard to get in 1gr prot pr lb of bodywgt even if it takes you over your 30% macro.

Whewwww lawd!! ok I will make a grocery store run tomorrow..any suggestions on the protein drink and is that like an every meal thing? sorry for all the questions :)
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    [

Alright so just to be sure...because I'm french speaking and sometimes it's hard for me to understand everything...

Everyday from now, I should eat 2250 calories even though I don't work out ?

If I go exercising and burn over 550 calories, I have to eat some back to be sure I'm over 1700 in my day.

Did I get this right ?

Thank you very much for your help !
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    [

Alright so just to be sure...because I'm french speaking and sometimes it's hard for me to understand everything...

Everyday from now, I should eat 2250 calories even though I don't work out ?

If I go exercising and burn over 550 calories, I have to eat some back to be sure I'm over 1700 in my day.

Did I get this right ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Yes:-)
  • ANewLucia
    Options
    really 1580 on days i don't workout.. so the days i do work out, do i eat more then 1580 ? not sure about if i still log my exercise as mfp will add those cals back to eat..... so that is where i am still confused, just goal of 1580 daily and not log my exercises or NET 1580 daily? once again i'm so sorry....

Yep 1580 every single day. When you log your workout look on home page as long as your net cals are above bmr you are good.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Whewwww lawd!! ok I will make a grocery store run tomorrow..any suggestions on the protein drink and is that like an every meal thing? sorry for all the questions :)

No not every meal but once or teice a day to help out w protein. Jillian micheals is good and natural too.
  • lin7604
    Options
    excellent thanks, i totally get it now :D Once i am done Rin30 I will up my cals and see what happens... I will try it for 1 month... I was going to start it today but i won't know if there is a weight gain b/c of the dvd or b/c of the extra cals my body will have to get used to.... so i will wait. thanks again so much
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great information. I have tried to calculate my TDEE and I don't think I am doing it correctly, I will have to try again. I would really like to get this figured out so I can ensure that I am on the right track to lose my last 15-20 pouds.
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting the formulas, I will do my BMR and TDEE calculations tonight....
  • cushygal
    Options
    Thank you for the great information. I have tried to calculate my TDEE and I don't think I am doing it correctly, I will have to try again. I would really like to get this figured out so I can ensure that I am on the right track to lose my last 15-20 pouds.

Ok, I have calculated my TDEE as 2107 - should eat 1475 on non workout days. Not sure what amount I should be eating on workout days - would it be the 2107.

My numbers are:

44 years old
    4' 11.5" in height - 151.13 cm
    147 in weight - 66.81kg

I normally workout 4-5 days a week, so my activity level would be 1.55. I am currently training for a half marathon, so my workouts are ALL cardio.

Thanks for any advice/tips you can offer.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Ok, I have calculated my TDEE as 2107 - should eat 1475 on non workout days. Not sure what amount I should be eating on workout days - would it be the 2107.

My numbers are:

44 years old
    147 in weight - 66.81kg

I normally workout 4-5 days a week, so my activity level would be 1.55. I am currently training for a half marathon, so my workouts are ALL cardio.

Hey!

If your TDEE is 2107, and if your trying to lose weight your supposed to set your target at TDEE - 15% - so your target would be 1791 calories.

TDEE is the calories you should eat to maintain weight, so you have to set a cut target, and gathering fro mall the info between 10 and 20% is a good cut target off of your TDEE. This creates the calorie deficit.

Hope this helps!

PS.

My TDEE is 3948, so I try and eat around 3000 (TDEE - 20 ish %) on the days that I work out, and hit my BMR (2544) on days that I dont
  • cushygal
    Options

My numbers are:

44 years old
    147 in weight - 66.81kg

Hey!

If your TDEE is 2107, and if your trying to lose weight your supposed to set your target at TDEE - 15% - so your target would be 1791 calories.

TDEE is the calories you should eat to maintain weight, so you have to set a cut target, and gathering fro mall the info between 10 and 20% is a good cut target off of your TDEE. This creates the calorie deficit.

Hope this helps!

PS.

My TDEE is 3948, so I try and eat around 3000 (TDEE - 20 ish %) on the days that I work out, and hit my BMR (2544) on days that I dont

Thanks Mike.

So if I am understanding you - on my workout days I should eat the 1791 - non workout days eat at my BMR level with is 1361?

Is that right - sorry if I am being dumb here, but it is so confusing to me for some reason.
    I didn't do any of these calculations during my 50 pounds weight loss - I just ate less and ran. Now I am down to the last 15 or so and I think this is why I am stalled, need to change it up.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

My numbers are:

44 years old
    147 in weight - 66.81kg

Hey!

Hope this helps!

PS.

Thanks Mike.

So if I am understanding you - on my workout days I should eat the 1791 - non workout days eat at my BMR level with is 1361?

Is that right - sorry if I am being dumb here, but it is so confusing to me for some reason.
    I didn't do any of these calculations during my 50 pounds weight loss - I just ate less and ran. Now I am down to the last 15 or so and I think this is why I am stalled, need to change it up.

From my understanding, you basically never want your "net" calories to drop below your BMR. So on your non-workout days (like me) I shoot to eat at, or just above my BMR (especially if I am running around at work a lot, going up and down stairs).

On days that I work out I shoot for my TDEE cut amount.

so it would be for me:

Non-workout/rest days = BMR or slightly above - 2544 -2600 calories
    Workout days = TDEE - 20% = 3000 calories